Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just off live chat with RyanAir. Explained situation and sorted in less than 5 mins. Just need to recheck in. One of the best CS experiences I have had ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Lads looking for some info,before I ring.Have a family holiday booked to fly out in a few weeks.One of my parents died recently,I want to bring my niece with us now instead.A Work colleague just told me,it is only €100 to change the name.Is this correct,or will I not bother ringing,and just book a full flight for her online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Lads looking for some info,before I ring.Have a family holiday booked to fly out in a few weeks.One of my parents died recently,I want to bring my niece with us now instead.A Work colleague just told me,it is only €100 to change the name.Is this correct,or will I not bother ringing,and just book a full flight for her online.

Ryanair FAQ shows €115 , so twice that.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I see Ryanair have changed their check-in policy and it's now only free from 48 hours to 2 hours before departure from June 13th. Getting tight ...

Please note that for all flights from June 13th 2018 onwards, standard (free) online check-in will be available from 48 hours to 2 hours pre-departure. Customers who choose not to reserve their preferred seat, can check in online or on the mobile app free of charge from 48 hours to 2 hours pre-departure and will be randomly allocated a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

This post has been deleted.

:D They have some balls to say they're "Always Getting Better". I'd love to know how they justify that reducing the free check-in period from 7 days to 4 days to 2 days and creating an algorithm that deliberately separates those who do not pay to sit together is getting better.

Very happy to have booked AL to Italy in July at for just over €50 a head for our outbound - around half the price Ryanair were at the time of booking and without having to play Ryanair Roulette or pay extra. It'll be nice to stroll up to Check in and get our 3 seats together.

:D They have some balls to say they're "Always Getting Better". I'd love to know how they justify that reducing the free check-in period from 7 days to 4 days to 2 days and creating an algorithm that deliberately separates those who do not pay to sit together is getting better.

Very happy to have booked AL to Italy in July at for just over €50 a head for our outbound - around half the price Ryanair were at the time of booking and without having to play Ryanair Roulette or pay extra. It'll be nice to stroll up to Check in and get our 3 seats together.

I agree with most of your post, however, there won’t necessarily be 3 seats left together at that stage. The pleasure is knowing you can stroll up to the desk and you won’t be charged.

checkin on line either by mobile or Internet cafe in the 30 hour window ( you don’t have to print out boarding passes, they will be issued at the check in desk but you will have booked your seats)

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I see Ryanair have changed their check-in policy and it's now only free from 48 hours to 2 hours before departure from June 13th. Getting tight ...

Please note that for all flights from June 13th 2018 onwards, standard (free) online check-in will be available from 48 hours to 2 hours pre-departure. Customers who choose not to reserve their preferred seat, can check in online or on the mobile app free of charge from 48 hours to 2 hours pre-departure and will be randomly allocated a seat.

LOL. anyone familiar with trying to avoid the middle seats doesn’t check in until at least 24 hours before the flight anyway. A good way to test what’s still available is to try and book the same flight, going as far as purchasing a seat. That way you have a fair idea how middle seats are still available. Shouldn’t be many with less than 24 hours to go.

Oh, and book your return separate (for the same reason)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

It's funny now, every flight i've taken since the new policy ends up with everyone wanting to get on last so they can just get into two empty seats next to each other when they get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

redcup342 wrote: »
    It's funny now, every flight i've taken since the new policy ends up with everyone wanting to get on last so they can just get into two empty seats next to each other when they get on.

People fighting capitalist system ? I call them communists !! :P
    Very happy to have booked AL to Italy in July at for just over €50 a head for our outbound - around half the price Ryanair were at the time of booking.

Pity lot of locations are covered only by Ryanair and there is no choice then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 ArdLix11

Hi I've booked flights for our family in August with reserved seats but my wife has become pregnant since and her due date is close enough to the flights. If I could chance getting my money back through this I would. I am right in thinking that terms for reserved seat flights check in have not changed and so trying to get a refund would be pointless. I have not received an email either. Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ArdLix11 wrote: »
    Hi I've booked flights for our family in August with reserved seats but my wife has become pregnant since and her due date is close enough to the flights. If I could chance getting my money back through this I would. I am right in thinking that terms for reserved seat flights check in have not changed and so trying to get a refund would be pointless. I have not received an email either. Thanks for your help

Ryanair wont entertain you. If you have travel insurance you could try claiming from that.

You could try and change the dates, cheaper than name changes (ie transferring the tickets to family/friends), but that might not be feasible but if flights are expensive in August friends might use them at a cost of €115 per flight per leg. Otherwise as above post (ohnonotgmail). Ryanair could probably sell them at twice the price but they won’t take them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

joeysoap wrote: »
    LOL. anyone familiar with trying to avoid the middle seats doesn’t check in until at least 24 hours before the flight anyway. A good way to test what’s still available is to try and book the same flight, going as far as purchasing a seat. That way you have a fair idea how middle seats are still available. Shouldn’t be many with less than 24 hours to go.

Oh, and book your return separate (for the same reason)

Exactly what I do - have had good seats together for all my flights since the new policy. Most people in middle seats nearby will move to accommodate you when they're offered an aisle or a window seat.

It's just that they've narrowed the 'window' to play the game ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ArdLix11

Thanks think we may have to take the hit. We've no travel insurance and cost of moving flight dates would be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

That's all very fine and good luck to you but don't ever forget that, if it wasn't for Ryanair, you'd have been paying nearer €500 a head but maybe you're too young to remember those days.

Thanks think we may have to take the hit. We've no travel insurance and cost of moving flight dates would be too much.

No friends that could use them at €115 a flight? Maybe no good to you but maybe someone could use August flights for that price.

Congratulations by the way, and good luck with the pregnancy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Mebuntu wrote: »
    That's all very fine and good luck to you but don't ever forget that, if it wasn't for Ryanair, you'd have been paying nearer €500 a head but maybe you're too young to remember those days.
    In fairness lots of other low cost airlines exist and did so before Ryanair, who also lowers fares but maintained customer care in their ethos. Southwest Airlines are one, I think they still give free check in bags and free soft drinks onboard

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

Aer Lingus allow your o fly to UK with drivers license or alternative ID. Ryanair require you to have a passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,229 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

kkapp wrote: »
    Aer Lingus allow your o fly to UK with drivers license or alternative ID. Ryanair require you to have a passport.

Never particularly made a difference to me, or most I'd assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] Ryanair require you to have a passport.
    ...or EU/EEA ID card, for example. Passport is not the only ID accepted by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

joujoujou wrote: »
    ...or EU/EEA ID card, for example. Passport is not the only ID accepted by them.

The original question was whether or not Ryanair allow you to use your drivers license to fly from Ireland to the UK and the answer is NO. Passport is required. Irish people don't have ID cards. We have passports or passport cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

The original question was whether or not Ryanair allow you to use your drivers license to fly from Ireland to the UK and the answer is NO. Passport is required. Irish people don't have ID cards. We have passports or passport cards.

Not everybody who flies from Ireland to the UK is Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

Locker10a wrote: »
    In fairness lots of other low cost airlines exist and did so before Ryanair, who also lowers fares but maintained customer care in their ethos. Southwest Airlines are one, I think they still give free check in bags and free soft drinks onboard
    What European discount airlines operated before 1985…?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryanair weren't discount in 1985.

Laker were the first equivalent of a low cost serving Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Never particularly made a difference to me, or most I'd assume.

Convenient when you're travelling with a very young baby and both British and Irish first time passport applications are taking forever. It's very convenient to be able to get back to Dublin with just my 3 month old's birth cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

L1011 wrote: »
    Ryanair weren't discount in 1985.

Laker were the first equivalent of a low cost serving Europe
    My memory was that the low cost flights that Laker did were all transatlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Does anyone know if Ryanair would refund an air fair if someone could not fly on the grounds they are pregnant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Pregnancy in itself is no barrier to flying up to 37 weeks. How far in advance was the flight booked?

You are generally ok to fly up to and including your second trimester under guidance from your Obstetrician, unless you have a history of dvt. Other considerations are the length of flight etc. If there is a specific medical reason then maybe they would consider on those grounds or you might look at your travel insurance for refund guidance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Nope you'd have to use travel insurance.

The flight is not until end of September she will be 7/8 months and would not be allowed to fly.

Pregnancy in itself is no barrier to flying up to 37 weeks. How far in advance was the flight booked?

Ryanair would require a fit to fly letter after 28 weeks according to the website.

maxsmum wrote: »
    Nope you'd have to use travel insurance.

Can you explain how this would work?
    Considering the flight is at the end of September?

The main issue is this is a group holiday, number of ladies. The holiday was booked via a travel agent everyone has paid deposit.

So the issue is albeit she will lose her deposit she still needs to cover the cost of the flight even though she is not going.
    I know that flights can be cancelled at the discretion of Ryanair on medical grounds....

Other option would be to find someone to replace her but the name change on a flight cost nearly as much as the ticket itself so is a little pointless doing that.

So failing that the only two options she has is to pay the flight on a holiday she is not going to go on or have the group split the cost among them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

She can fly from 28 weeks to 34 weeks with a letter from her doctor or 32 weeks if its twins.
    Congratulations

tringle wrote: »
    She can fly from 28 weeks to 34 weeks with a letter from her doctor or 32 weeks if its twins.
    Congratulations

She will have a letter from doctor saying she will not be allowed to fly, without going into details but she is "high risk" with pregnancy, she will be 32 to 36 weeks pregnant at the time if the flight, she also needs to be able to fly back.

This is not my wife, however she seems to think she will be able to cancel or get refunded with doctors letter.

I am not too sure.

I’m not so sure about travel insurance either. About 7 years ago I booked a European City break, hotel and flights booked separately. We had a multi trip annual policy.

4 weeks approx before the holiday my better half broke he foot. I asked the hospital doctor would it be ok to travel and he said better not and gave a cert saying she had a broken foot, in plaster, and not fit to travel.

turned out the insurance only covered the flights not the ‘extras’ ie taxes and charges- which in this case made up the bulk of the cost. Referring to the hotel the lady for the insurance comany said ‘ you can cancel the hotel, there’s still plenty of notice’ . I did and the hotel had no problem.

I found it cheaper to change the booking (Aer Lingus - then something like €35 per person per leg) .

I have travelled in Europe dozens of times since. With the knowledge that airlines are governed by EU261 and my health insurance has medical cover abroad, and pretty good medical cover with the EC1H, I have never even considered taking out insurance.

vandriver wrote: »
    My memory was that the low cost flights that Laker did were all transatlantic.

They were

Low cost intra Europe is a result if deregulation, not Ryanair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I have travelled in Europe dozens of times since. With the knowledge that airlines are governed by EU261 and my health insurance has medical cover abroad, and pretty good medical cover with the EC1H, I have never even considered taking out insurance.

If you ever need to get home in an emergency (e.g. death in the family), EU261 and EC1H won't help.

MOH wrote: »
    If you ever need to get home in an emergency (e.g. death in the family), EU261 and EC1H won't help.

I accept that. But I felt very aggrieved by the process, what I didn’t post was that the policy had an excess clause which meant they were not paying anything when you stripped out the taxes/charges and cancelled the hotel.

I would consider a emergency only policy if one were available, otherwise no, as IMO insurance companies duck and dive in order to avoid payment.

There was a piece on Joe Duffy a few months ago to this effect.

Each to his own I suppose, but for EU travel, I’ll pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭mattser

L1011 wrote: »
    They were

Low cost intra Europe is a result if deregulation, not Ryanair

Truth is AL were dragged kicking and screaming to fall into line after Ryanair. O'Leary shamed them into it. Any other reason is BS.

mattser wrote: »
    Truth is AL were dragged kicking and screaming to fall into line after Ryanair. O'Leary shamed them into it. Any other reason is BS.

Your revision of history doesn't line up with actual facts

Without Ryanair there would have been other low cost operators flying to/from Ireland - indeed it is because of Ryanair's predatory tactics that there still aren't. Jet2, Easyjet and Wizzair have all pulled out of Ireland because of that.

Aer Lingus would have had to reform their pricing model after any low cost competition entering the market or else they would have gone bust like many other legacy flag carriers - Malev, Sabena, etc.

O'Leary was just the person there when de-reg happened and in Ireland. It could have just as easily been Stelios, or anyone else. There is no specific magic or mystique or hero status.

Remember that Ryanair was a full-service airline for quite some time after its founding - they didn't turn up in 85 as what they are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have a dilemma.

I booked two returns and had a birthday gift of a voucher. All good so far. Voucher not accepted as my name was spelled incorrectly on the voucher, one letter out.

Get on to webchat, they said to book with the incorrect name so the voucher would be accepted, and they will change name for free within 24 hours. All good so far, booking made, voucher accepted.

BUT when I went to change the name they said they could NOT do it as a voucher was used. They had no other solution except to leave a note at both airports to allow me to board. I am very nervous about this, I just don't trust them much. I think it is a bit of a worry in case I am not allowed to board.

Has anyone any advice? I tried webchat a couple more times, and despite the first agent advising me to do what I did, every other one has said a big FAT NO to changing my name now. I am gutted. I did exactly as they advised. I kept a printout of the webchat but I doubt gate staff will care.

Very very nervous about this now. All because a very kind relative bought me a lovely voucher for my birthday but got my name wrong by one letter.

Thanks.

Just to update those who reassured me about this, and sorry for quoting my own post..

There were no issues whatsoever either in Dublin or Malaga.

I was panicking unnecessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭deezell

Just to update those who reassured me about this, and sorry for quoting my own post..

There were no issues whatsoever either in Dublin or Malaga.

I was panicking unnecessarily.

With AL vouchers you can change the name on the voucher in a jiffy online. It would be interesting to see how much of Ryanair vouchers are unspent because of errors on names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The flight is not until end of September she will be 7/8 months and would not be allowed to fly.
    Says who , no airline would stop her

I’m not so sure about travel insurance either. About 7 years ago I booked a European City break, hotel and flights booked separately. We had a multi trip annual policy.

4 weeks approx before the holiday my better half broke he foot. I asked the hospital doctor would it be ok to travel and he said better not and gave a cert saying she had a broken foot, in plaster, and not fit to travel.

turned out the insurance only covered the flights not the ‘extras’ ie taxes and charges- which in this case made up the bulk of the cost. Referring to the hotel the lady for the insurance comany said ‘ you can cancel the hotel, there’s still plenty of notice’ . I did and the hotel had no problem.

I found it cheaper to change the booking (Aer Lingus - then something like €35 per person per leg) .

The other side if the story is that my travel insurance company flew me open with a broken leg to get an operation in Ireland. They just cut the cast and wrap it in a soft bandage so it allows for room to fly.
    I also got certified to the recently just two days after dislocating my shoulder. ( only got the cert as it was a work trip and they wanted one to protect themselves)

MOH wrote: »

For my 7 Euro Insurance I got a few nights in a Greek hospital private room, put up in a 5 star hotel in Athens , flown up business class via London. And the rest of my trip was reimbursed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,229 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ted1 wrote: »
    For my 7 Euro Insurance I got a few nights in a Greek hospital private room, put up in a 5 star hotel in Athens , flown up business class via London. And the rest of my trip was reimbursed.

A 5 star hotel, business class flights and a private room?

Did you win some sort of lottery that cost €7 or are you fibbing! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

ted1 wrote: »
    Says who , no airline would stop her

The poster has already said for medical reasons the person cannot fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In my experience, I've never been asked for any documentation when flying in the 3rd trimester. I flew back after Christmas 2 days before Flybe's limit (I was 33+5) and didn't even get a second glance. I did have high risk travel insurance though.

Advertisement