Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Farnan race gone...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

They need to look at something more like the women's meet and train league to get people more interested in XC IMO.

Even for club runners, a league format would be much more successful than how XC is currently run I reckon.

Yeah, could be good. The Dublin juvenile XC has a four race league followed by championships, something similar for adults could work. But
    • if its men and women, what happens to the womens meet and train?
    • you need clubs to run the races
    • there are already BHAA XC races through the winter. Why should DAB put resources into running something that BHAA already does?

Maybe do something alongside the BHAA system? Could be messy. (and I think some in BHAA are happy to be outside the AAI/club system?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The Meet and Train is aimed towards the 'slower' end of runners though...that could remain as an introduction to it...or just as it's own separate XC league. Largely the same athletes run every year, until they get too fast for it! And it is independent of clubs, as in it's not run by AI or DAB.
    . XC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Anyone know where numbers can be picked up Sunday will there be an AI desk at the race start area in the Park?....! I know late entries at Donore but pre entries???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

All the main results from this can be seen here from Lindie:

http://lindienaughton.com/surprise-win-for-oneill-in-the-park/

Anybody run, how was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Some race by Kevin Maunsell of Clonmel for 2nd, bet they didn't see that one coming :) Good to see O Neill running well too. Anybody know if he's based back in Ireland now or still stateside?

• Advertisement

Yes great race, bigger numbers than last year plus some top women in the 8k. Some surprise packets int he top 10, also Liam Brady had a very good run as did Fionnuala and Con Doherty in jnrs. Think O neill is back in ireland now . Piece in the Examiner today on race, cant post links
    Ran it myself -thats an overstatement ! had a very bad day compared to last year, 40 places lower than usual lads i compete with, lack of fitness and miles only excuse. The course seemed a bit tougher as well using a full 2km lap, some of the little hills would stop you in your tracks. Great race though .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yeh brendan back full time now. Still haven't shook off this chest infection but I pottered around for 3laps to annoy myself! The rain in the 2nd lap was horrible ha. I wouldn't call it a hilly course at all, the tricky parts were the off camber and bumpy sections. If yas think that's hilly actually, wait for the leinsters in avondale next Sunday ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

I did the 8k, tough course going over those ups n downs 4 times. The only nice bit was the wind at your back on the return leg Km allowed a little bit of recovery from the outward Km. Nicely organised and lots of support along the course which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Timmaay wrote: »
    Yeh brendan back full time now. Still haven't shook off this chest infection but I pottered around for 3laps to annoy myself! The rain in the 2nd lap was horrible ha. I wouldn't call it a hilly course at all, the tricky parts were the off camber and bumpy sections. If yas think that's hilly actually, wait for the leinsters in avondale next Sunday ha!

If someone really doesn't like hills, what's the best strategy for tackling the ones in Avondale?? I thought there was only one (very) big one?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sacksian wrote: »
    If someone really doesn't like hills, what's the best strategy for tackling the ones in Avondale?? I thought there was only one (very) big one?

There is, probably another very slight one but other than that it's actually fairly flat (but very muddy)

• Advertisement

There is, probably another very slight one but other than that it's actually fairly flat (but very muddy)

Don't sprint up the hill would be my tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Don't sprint up the hill would be my tip.

Agreed, keep the effort consistent, so that means slowing down on a long hill like that! If your competitor sprints up it, he might pull a gap but he will be suffering badly!

Not that it really matters, times were slowish yesterday , wonder was the course a good bit longer than the 8k

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

how did it go overall? did the organisation work out? the different race structure?

Think it went well, have ran the race before , course was different from last year and tougher , some spots at back end of course rough long grass etc. Good to see the elite women running in the 8k, think both races were of a decent standard. Not too many takers for the open element of it though- usual top end seniors and juniors and masters across the ages.

youngrun wrote: »
    Think it went well, have ran the race before , course was different from last year and tougher , some spots at back end of course rough long grass etc. Good to see the elite women running in the 8k, think both races were of a decent standard. Not too many takers for the open element of it though- usual top end seniors and juniors and masters across the ages.

Yeah good point, I too would guess more open-element participants went for the 5k, no-brainer really!

Advertisement