Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

having 1 big block seems to be "luckier",
    Yes that would be my experience, your bound to be luckier, €100,000 worth of prize bonds equals 16,000 prize bonds all running in sequence, but then again it only takes 1 individual prize bond to win a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

We (extended family) have a lot of bonds. In 2015 and 2016 to date, the winners have all been from blocks of €4000 upwards - no block less than €4000 has won. A few years ago, single bonds belonging to 3 family members won €75/50 on one occasion each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Negative_G

I must concour with the two posts above me.

I believe that you may be more successful with a large consecutive group of numbers rather than a smaller broken group of numbers.

I have absolutely no way of proving this belief though and some people got rather upset at the notion some time ago when the same topic crept up.

Put simply, I would rather 1 x €100,000 shares than 20 x €5,000 shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

Negative_G wrote: »

I believe that you may be more successful with a large consecutive group of numbers rather than a smaller broken group of numbers.

I have absolutely no way of proving this belief though and some people got rather upset at the notion some time ago when the same topic crept up.

I agree with you 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

bubblypop wrote: »
    Hi, I'm planning on putting 100,000, maybe more into prize bonds in the next few weeks.
    Question is, how do I buy them?
    Do I just go in and buy 100,000 worth of bonds or should I buy them separately? Like four lots of 25,000 or something?
    Pretty clueless obviously!

I wouldn't do that if I were you just get one big batch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

bubblypop wrote: »
    Hi, I'm planning on putting 100,000, maybe more into prize bonds in the next few weeks.
    Question is, how do I buy them?
    Do I just go in and buy 100,000 worth of bonds or should I buy them separately? Like four lots of 25,000 or something?
    Pretty clueless obviously!

Just head into the post office with your application form, proof of identity eat and a cheque. Better to buy in one large block I think. We bought €100,000 worth back in May and have had 5 X €50 wins to date.

proof of identity being 3 sets of utility bills per bondholder etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Negative_G wrote: »

Ah you can't be serious? The draw is a random number generator! There's no such thing as lucky batches as your chances only depend on the total amount of shares you have.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Ah you can't be serious? The draw is a random number generator! There's no such thing as lucky batches as your chances only depend on the total amount of shares you have.

Are you unable to read what I posted? I did not mention the word 'lucky'.

I'm well aware of how the draw is made and how probability works so you can spare me the lecture.

I made a statement and fully acknowledged that I have no metric to base it on but in my own opinion and experience I would prefer one large batch over several smaller batches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Went on site to buy bonds and it lools a little different confusing me tbh.
    It hasnt given me a chance to enter my customer number it only asked for email and ppsn number?
    Am i losing it or has the site changed? Where do i enter customer number?

It seems to change weekly and to get more complicated & intrusive each time!

I bought some as a gift 1 month ago. It has changed since then! Now you start with your email address and a warning that they won't process til your money goes through ...The next page appears to ask for your account no.,12guagedave - or it does on my screen anyway?

If you're buying more than €100's worth, maybe it just taps into the file they already have on you from your PPS and d.o.b. details, and therefore they don't need your account number?

It seems to change weekly and to get more complicated & intrusive each time!

I bought some as a gift 1 month ago. It has changed since then! Now you start with your email address and a warning that they won't process til your money goes through ...The next page appears to ask for your account no.,12guagedave - or it does on my screen anyway?

If you're buying more than €100's worth, maybe it just taps into the file they already have on you from your PPS and d.o.b. details, and therefore they don't need your account number?

I bought 150euro for myself this morning will see now when they come if its diferent account number or they match to my current one. It worked fine the old way a shame to change site for the worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

proof of identity being 3 sets of utility bills per bondholder etc

Bought prize bonds for the first time today, used one recent bank document with name and address, drivers license and public services card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I put €1000 into prize bonds about 8 years ago and have never won a penny. I might be needing the extra cash though so I will need to retrieve these funds and close my prize bond account. How do I go about this?

(You can pm me if this post is derailing the thread)

See the FAQs on their site:
    How do I encash my Prize Bonds?
    Prize Bonds can be cashed in at any time after an initial holding period of 90 days. Simply complete a repayment form (available online at
    http://www.statesavings.ie/Downloads/PrizebondsRepaymentForm.pdf or at any Post Office) and send it to
    State Savings Prize Bonds
    -
    Repayment Section
    Killorglin
    Freepost
    Co. Kerry
    V93 WN9T

Yes - 3 pieces of ID- I was only using utility bills as an example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Yes - 3 pieces of ID- I was only using utility bills as an example
    Three bills are not a substitute for one photo ID.

"could I see your drivers license please"
    "sorry gard I don't have it but I've a bill from the ESB, a statement from me bank, and me library card. Will they do?"

Sincere apologies - i was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

With regards to how you buy you Prize Bonds, I personally believe that larger batches are better than lots of smaller batches, I have 10 small batches totalling €20k that have only won 3 times in the last 3 years, all my winnings come from batches of €50k or greater.

I have given the odds of €100k batch, which is about 11 wins a year, if you bought 10 batches of €10k over 10 months, now each batch has the odds of 1.1 wins per year.

So now each €10k batch has to win at least once each year and as we all know that’s a big ask

While the €100k batch might or might not get the 11 wins per year but it will win and more than likely will have multiple winners and in my view has a better chance of getting near the 11 wins per year then the 10 smaller batches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

With regards to how you buy you Prize Bonds, I personally believe that larger batches are better than lots of smaller batches, I have 10 small batches totalling €20k that have only won 3 times in the last 3 years, all my winnings come from batches of €50k or greater.

I have given the odds of €100k batch, which is about 11 wins a year, if you bought 10 batches of €10k over 10 months, now each batch has the odds of 1.1 wins per year.

So now each €10k batch has to win at least once each year and as we all know that’s a big ask

While the €100k batch might or might not get the 11 wins per year but it will win and more than likely will have multiple winners and in my view has a better chance of getting near the 11 wins per year then the 10 smaller batches.

Thats really not the way statistics work.

Thats like saying in the lottery picking 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 has a different chance of winning then 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30. They are exactly the same odds.

The numbers are random and the chances of winning are exactly the same regardless of whether you buy in batches of 100,000 or individually.

Here we go again.

Thats really not the way statistics work.

Thats like saying in the lottery picking 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 has a different chance of winning then 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30. They are exactly the same odds.

The numbers are random and the chances of winning are exactly the same regardless of whether you buy in batches of 100,000 or individually.

I agree with your point on the Lottery ticket but I think most people given the choice would choose the ticket with random numbers over a ticket with a consecutive numbers even though the odds are the same.

Has a ticket with consecutive numbers ever won a lottery ??

My point about large batches in PBs is that larger batches win more often then smaller batches of the same amount, this has been shown here many times over the last 4 years and though it isn't concrete proof I doubt it can be disproved.

Nothing today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

My run of bad luck continues. Thirteen wins so far this year on €125 k.

Well, that surely puts you ahead of Agent Smyth's calculations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

True, I am doing fairly well on average. It's just nice to have a win every few weeks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Has a ticket with consecutive numbers ever won a lottery ??

Probably not but a sequential list of 1,2,3,4,5,6 represents only 1 combination out of over 8 million in a 46 number game. You could say the same about any other combination.

How about the sequence 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 or 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41. Less or more likely? If you don't recognize the sequence does that make it a random number? 1,2,3,4,5,6 is just a commonly known sequence.

Well, that surely puts you ahead of Agent Smyth's calculations?

Before the rate change I would have "calculated" €125k should win 22 times in a year and with the new rate that dropped to 14 times.
    So Sarn should of had around 11 wins for the first 6 months and hopefully will have 7 wins for the next 6 giving a total for the year of 18.
    Maybe Sarn can let us know how many of those wins were before the rate change ??

• Advertisement

Whenever i think im dong well in life and get ahead of myself i return to this thread to remind myself there are people with 100k plus in prizebonds for the fun and it brings me back to reality.:)

Advertisement