Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The things I love about the AR forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Even though I left Ireland at the back end of 2009 I still pop in here to see what's going on. Nothing like it in the UK/Channel Islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Knowing I'm not the only one who'll end up with wrecked knees and hips from all this running:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Get a room everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

The DCM Novices thread. Without it last year I'd have never learned to how to train properly (easy runs should be at an easy pace) and most likely would have packed in running before I even got going.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

The information you get here from training logs, race-reports and the comments on both of those are invaluable. Even as a lurker like me!

I'm in a club and I love it and have met the friendliest, most inspiring people through it but to be honest I think I would be injured by now if I tried to follow all the conflicting advice I find there. This is where I get my training advice.
    Boards is my (not so) secret weapon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Made some good friends here over the years
    Love to read accounts of people making progress through dedication and the finding of talent they didn't know they had to begin with
    Race reports
    Advice from the sages
    The banter
    Hearing about events you otherwise wouldn't have heard about
    The BAC 10k Challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Being a sprinter I probably don't get as much out of the forum as most, given that you could probably count on one hand the number of people here who focus on distances below 800m, but the forum has still given me plenty, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here:

- While I've got some great advice from a handful of posters on my log (which hopefully will continue), it's not really the prime purpose of keeping one (I have a coach to tell me what to do anyway). Instead it's been a great place to not only keep a record of my training, but also log my thoughts at a point in time throughout the rollercoaster which is training for this sport. It's also a super reference to look back and compare to where I was 1 year ago etc.

- While living abroad I would get extremely homesick at times, and posting on this forum really helped me to feel connected not only to Irish Athletics and Irish running, but also Ireland full stop.

- It gives me a place to share interviews and articles that I have done with the people who I know are most interested in them.

- It has introduced me to a great sports masseuse in ecoli. That PB at Nationals would not have happened had it not been for him.

- Despite the fact T&F doesn't get discussed enough, you know deep down that most here (of the regular posters anyway) are on the same side and will be genuinely supporting Irish athletes when those major championships come around, and this remains the only proper place to discuss such performances.

- I also love the fact that some posters (won't name names) who actively expressed their lack of interest for watching T&F a few years ago, have now come round to it and follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

First and best site to go to in the morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Probably for me the posts I really like reading are the race reports, doesn't matter if the person made their goal or not although you'd be rooting for them obviously.

Apart from that have gotten great advice just by reading the exploits of the regular posters (not mentioning any names but when I didn't understand stuff I just ignored it!).

Advertisement