Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

201 Class Locomotives

Options
  • 10-01-2012 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

I thought it might be time to kick off a thread and shoot the breeze on the 201 Class. Observations, stories, debates, photos, videos all welcome !!! :)

Here's my contribution for starters !!! River Lagan on the 13.20 dep down Enterprise, passing through Killester earlier today.

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11669

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Why is 208 renumbered 8208? What purpose does the renumbering serve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Why is 208 renumbered 8208? What purpose does the renumbering serve?

According to Wikipedia (8)208 is owned by NIR - I suppose the 8 is a designator to show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

All NIR owned locos were renumbered with the number 8 as the first number, so say the three 071 type's that were 111, 112, 113, were renumbered 8111 and so forth. This also applies to 201 class locos, I think there is two of them in NIR ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

It's so they don't confuse them with buses when looking at a spreadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

roundymac wrote: »
    All NIR owned locos were renumbered with the number 8 as the first number, so say the three 071 type's that were 111, 112, 113, were renumbered 8111 and so forth. This also applies to 201 class locos, I think there is two of them in NIR ownership.

All 5 NIR loco's are prefixed with an 8.

When Irish Rail introduced the 2900 class CAF commuter railcars in 2003, it was found that the fleet numbering system would overrun into the 3000s, a numerical that was reserved for a new series of DMU for the north. A similar issue arose with the now 22000 class as it would have infringed into the 2600 series, causing issues with signaling etc The solution was to rename the classes 29000 and 22000 respectively.

And don't start me on the European numbering system:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

5145338043_daa94af52e_z.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Only cost the same as another loco to do but a seriously cool picture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All 5 NIR loco's are prefixed with an 8.

When Irish Rail introduced the 2900 class CAF commuter railcars in 2003, it was found that the fleet numbering system would overrun into the 3000s, a numerical that was reserved for a new series of DMU for the north. A similar issue arose with the now 22000 class as it would have infringed into the 2600 series, causing issues with signaling etc The solution was to rename the classes 29000 and 22000 respectively.

NIR officially renumbered 111,113 and 208 with the 8 prefix but 112 and 209 are yet to have it painted on them.

Also with the 8 prefix, the NIR 111 class infringe on the LHB DART power units the 8100s.

8208 would infringe upon the Alstom 8200 DARTs if, god forbid, IE bought more of them pieces of junk at the time.

NIR officially renumbered 111,113 and 208 with the 8 prefix but 112 and 209 are yet to have it painted on them.

Also with the 8 prefix, the NIR 111 class infringe on the LHB DART power units the 8100s.

8208 would infringe upon the Alstom 8200 DARTs if, god forbid, IE bought more of them pieces of junk at the time.

You wouldn't mind but 209 and 112 have spent that much time in the repair sheds that they really ought to have been numbered correctly by now :p

The issue with the Dart numbers clashing with the diesels doesn't arise as they have no need to be entered into the NI signaling or stock systems, they being unable to work across the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You wouldn't mind but 209 and 112 have spent that much time in the repair sheds that they really ought to have been numbered.

they being unable to work across the border.

And to think in 2005-2006 when 112 was in IE hands, it was the best loco in the country. 209 was always a bit of a lemon I think.

True about the DARTs but they do get dragged up to Drogheda the odd time.:pac:

• Advertisement

And to think in 2005-2006 when 112 was in IE hands, it was the best loco in the country. 209 was always a bit of a lemon I think.

True about the DARTs but they do get dragged up to Drogheda the odd time.:pac:

Agreed on both counts. NIR just don't have the engineering savvy that the lads in the Works seem to have; little wonder both are sent to Dublin for any heavy work.

And to think in 2005-2006 when 112 was in IE hands, it was the best loco in the country.
    I remembered hearing the same about 233 after the silencer bypass experiment.

A short clip of the miniature variety.

Murphy Models 220 with some Cravens. Got 220 yesterday and was giving her a test this afternoon. I have 220 and 229, which is in the current silver/green livery.

206 on the 13.20 dep. down Enterprise passing through Howth Junction today. DVT 9002. Karsini - just as quiet as your miniature 220 thanks to those silencers. :D

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11724

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

5145338043_daa94af52e_z.jpg

:D

No way. way to heavy. That's hard to believe ....

If ya seen the bend those trains put on the line when passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

totally true.Russian ex military aircraft iirc

corktina wrote: »
    totally true.Russian ex military aircraft iirc

Antonov An-124
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-124

AFAIK Was sent over by air because they would be in breach of contract for late delivery. These loco's are know as track wreckers because of the damage their fixed bogies do to the rails.

I think it was more of an IE publicity stunt that backfired. There was loads of coverage in the Canadian press but IE's spin doctors wasted a great opportunity for publicity. Anyway, where are they now?

I remember seeing it on the RTE 1 news, but that was about the coverage that I can remember seeing.

• Advertisement

Quote from Wikipedia !
    To allow clearance tests and driver training to commence in advance of the delivery of the main order of 201s, it was decided to transport the first locomotive, number 201, to Dublin by air. An Antonov An-124 was used to transport the locomotive from London, Ontario to Dublin Airport, arriving on 9 June 1994. The first light-engine test run operated from Inchicore works to Kildare on the 14th.

I've heard that at that time it was the world record for the heaviest cargo ever transported by air.

Not quite I think - the heaviest single unit (ie a loco) transported but NOT the heaviest load in an Antonov at the time.

I think it was more of an IE publicity stunt that backfired. There was loads of coverage in the Canadian press but IE's spin doctors wasted a great opportunity for publicity. Anyway, where are they now?

We had the special edition magazine about the movement in the house for ages. I'd still have it only Sean Browne was given it the time the auld fella visited him to chat about getting him his crown jewel. The ETS miniature staff for Castlerea-Ballyhaunis that is, not A 55. They sorted it out another night over porter, all of it for free :)

roundymac wrote: »
    AFAIK Was sent over by air because they would be in breach of contract for late delivery. These loco's are know as track wreckers because of the damage their fixed bogies do to the rails.
    What fixed bogies?

206 River Liffey passing through Howth Junction on the 13.20 dep. down Enterprise today. DVT 9002.

picture.php?albumid=1836&pictureid=11924

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

A video showing some 201s at speed with some good sound too, still not as good as an 071 though.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Eiretrains wrote: »
    still not as good as an 071 though.:p

I agree wholeheartedly with this.:D

Nostalgia is the thing of the future. Just being proactive in capturing the 'Evening Star' moments of locomotion, as perhaps the 22000 moment may not be too far away for the Enterprise. Does anyone know anything about if, and when, the 22000's will be phased in, as there seems to be plenty of them in Connolly. Great video - thanks Eiretrains. ;):)

• Advertisement

Nostalgia is the thing of the future. Just being proactive in capturing the 'Evening Star' moments of locomotion, as perhaps the 22000 moment may not be too far away for the Enterprise. Does anyone know anything about if, and when, the 22000's will be phased in, as there seems to be plenty of them in Connolly. Great video - thanks Eiretrains. ;):)

Only some of the early 3-car sets are fitted with TPWS so the majority of the ICR fleet cannot work over the border. 22001-22006.

Advertisement