Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Railways Video Thread

• 16-01-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭

I hope the mods don't mind this thread being started, but I'd like to think it could become somewhere for links to professionally made stuff being posted. I'll start it with this little gem I discovered recently.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

This one is a real blast from the not too distant past.

This may have been seen before, but it's worth a re-post. It's meant to be shot on 16mm film, but to me it looks more like 8mm or it could be badly exposed 16mm reversal stock. No matter, its priceless imagery from the year in question.

As a footnote, I don't mean to be disrespectful to the many spotters who shoot great stuff these days, so I suppose this thread is about pro shot footage spanning the years. If the mods deem it worth being a sticky, then even better. It could be a really nice resource.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Great idea but your links aren't working I think you need to remove the watch?v= from your YouTube tags

If I'm right your first video should appear below
    Grandeeod wrote: »

• Advertisement

A nice bit of film from Tralee, featuring the station, cabin, goods sidings, North Kerry yard and what I assume is an RPSI special.

Some nice footage of the Cork and Muskerry light railway to be found at the link below.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-ride-from-blarney-to-cork-on-cork-muskerry-light-railway-1902-1902/

I have this DVD already, but this is Disc one of a two disc set about the West Cork Railway that someone has uploaded to youtube. Mainly concentrates on beet traffic around Courtmacsherry and Timoleague. Other interesting stuff featured as well. Worth watching if you have the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Some nice footage of the Cork and Muskerry light railway to be found at the link below.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-ride-from-blarney-to-cork-on-cork-muskerry-light-railway-1902-1902/

Great quality - pity that there's not more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A number of videos of previous ITG Tours have been uploaded to Youtube in the last few days. This is #1,open it in Youtube to see the rest on the right hand side. Some fantastic footage of motive power which no longer exist and some amazing sounds of trains at speed over jointed track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Watching some of the videos and seeing Heuston and having had to go to Dublin a lot in the nineties, I'd forgotton how dark the trainshed in heuston used to be.

Some of my efforts documenting the 2014 RPSI specials. :)

Thanks for looking.:cool:

A line of discussion at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

RPSI Mince Pie railtour in Connolly and Clontarf Road station.

GNR line grice with Tara, cement, Enterprise and commuter trains.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Advertisement

One from a couple years ago, summer 2012.:cool:

Yankee Explorer tour with double 201s 208+209 in blue :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Back on YouTube by popular demand. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Really short - my Camcorder ran out of memory :(

Some scenes from last April, plenty of 071/201 haulage.:cool:

Another new video, back to steam.:cool:

I'll be adding some more videos to my channel soon, with another oldish one lined up. ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=Eiretrains

Strung a few clips together from summer 2008, featuring cement, ballast and Taras (all 071 Class hauled). :)

I have some lovely stuff from 1994 in the making!

I have some lovely stuff from 1994 in the making!
    Look forward to seeing that, Irish Rail golden era up the mid 1990s. ;

Here's another from Eiretrains, featuring top/tail 071s on the Sallins/Hazelhatch PWD works:

I hope to have an Enterprise style video of the De Dietrich stock arriving in 1997 and on test, will be uploaded soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭angelIRL

Two videos taken of the Limerick/Killarney portion of the Steam Dreams 'Emerald Isle Explorer' on Sunday, 21 June 2015:

Newtown Gates between Charleville and Buttevant:
    https://youtu.be/M4EuPyXxGjU

Killarney Junction:
    https://youtu.be/vnVvr0hG9_4

F.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I found Eiretrains video on youtube over the weekend. Amazing footage and great to have. Hope he doesn't mind me posting it here.

Some more videos from the 'Emerald Isle Explorer' in County Kerry:

85 passing through Farranfore on 22 June doing the return leg of the local trip to Tralee:

85 crossing the Quagmire Viaduct on 23 June heading for Waterford:

F.

Evening,

Some footage of the weedsprayer on the South Wexford Line last week:

Finbarr.

I found Eiretrains video on youtube over the weekend. Amazing footage and great to have. Hope he doesn't mind me posting it here.
    No not all, appreciate that plug, have to say I didn't shoot that particular video as credited :) If you wish to keep up to date with new videos on my channel do subscribe.

Here is the latest offering of 'Merlin' of more very recent times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

2015 Weedsprayer Train to East Cork Footage

https://youtu.be/sN1Np_IEDTw

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Cobh Road HOBS this week
    : https://youtu.be/iGKGD221tzk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

An 071 and 201 top and tailing, that's a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Eiretrains wrote: »
    No not all, appreciate that plug, have to say I didn't shoot that particular video as credited :) If you wish to keep up to date with new videos on my channel do subscribe.

Here is the latest offering of 'Merlin' of more very recent times :)

Did I see this train this evening around 6.45pm in Connolly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

n97 mini wrote: »
    Did I see this train this evening around 6.45pm in Connolly?

The carriages yes but the loco was number 4 rather than 85 pictured above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Some action from yesterday's foray to Kilkenny. It's in HD and if you have good sound then let it play out and enjoy the acoustic :)

And a more mundane video of a Mark 4 set pushed into Heuston by 215.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

Some action from yesterday's foray to Kilkenny. It's in HD and if you have good sound then let it play out and enjoy the acoustic :)

Great sound, a nice video, thanks.

No. 4 sounds like it's giving it a good old bash. Even a baby GM would struggle to lift nine coaches up the gullet.

Seanmk1 wrote: »
    Great sound, a nice video, thanks.

No. 4 sounds like it's giving it a good old bash. Even a baby GM would struggle to lift nine coaches up the gullet.

A baby would have lifted them handily enough. In their day just the one loco would have taken many mainline services and with up to 12 carriages behind her. Over time the problems were not so much in tractive power to hand (It was an issue, granted.) but in stopping the set as GM brake pressure wasn't great; this is why pairs became the default configuration for class 121/141/181.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

A baby would have lifted them handily enough. In their day just the one loco would have taken many mainline services and with up to 12 carriages behind her. Over time the problems were not so much in tractive power to hand (It was an issue, granted.) but in stopping the set as GM brake pressure wasn't great; this is why pairs became the default configuration for class 121/141/181.

Double heading became the norm to increase performance and punctuality and because they were underpowered for many of the jobs on their own.

There were never issues with them stoping a train, a single 121/141/181 was actually better stoping a train than a 071 as the locos themselves have a better brake force than an 071! Brake pressure does not affect stoping a train!

However what they had problems with was releasing air brakes (vacuum wasn't a problem) on anything over 7 or 8 wagons/carriages when single, never really an issue as anything air brake wise usually needed double heading when on the mainline due to the weight.

The Heuston pilot however often had problems shunting 9 car MkIII sets and you would regularly see the shunter manually releasing the brakes on the carriages to speed things up.

GM228

Opportunistically recorded at Kildare Station Wednesday 9th September

I might just resurrect this thread with some 071 Class footage, shot during the summer showing PWD and freight trains. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You have to admire cies optimism.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You have to admire cies optimism.
    And the Wonderful Plan for Tuam train station, at that time serving the Siúcra beet factory there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement