Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a driver flashing lights to move out of the way

• 12-02-2014 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

You are driving along (what is to all extents and purposes) a short dual carraigeway with 50k speedlimit on the 'fast' lane travelling at 50 kph when a motorist comes up behind you, flashes his lights, you look in the mirror and you see he points his hand to the other lane to indicate for you to move over to let him through. He is probably irate.

Both lanes are quite busy and you would have to negoitate changing, what would you do?

In order for me to change lanes, I might have to accelerate a little and break speed limit. Is the driver behind me in any way breaking the law regarding flashing? What are the rules regarding flashing lights? The driver came well up behind me-certainly not the prescribed yardage for braking.

Thanks for any responses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

It's not a fast Lane it's an overtaking lane, was the person in the process of over taking another car if so he should complete if not he should not be in that Lane simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

bobbyss wrote: »
    You are driving along (what is to all extents and purposes) a short dual carraigeway with 50k speedlimit on the 'fast' lane travelling at 50 kph when a motorist comes up behind you, flashes his lights, you look in the mirror and you see he points his hand to the other lane to indicate for you to move over to let him through. He is probably irate.

There is no "fast" lane. There is a driving lane and an overtaking lane (or multiple overtaking lanes).

If you are going faster than the traffic in the driving lane, then you indicate, check it's clear, move in to the overtaking lane, overtake the traffic/car, and then you pull back in to the driving lane.

This does not matter what speed you are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I think both parties are in the wrong here. Forgive me if I read this wrongly, but it appeared to me that the "flashee" was also using the lane for more than just overtaking. While tailgating and flashing is pretty anti-social in my book, its probably not much worse than hogging the overtaking lane.

Though legally, I'm not sure who would be liable if there was an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

Unless you enjoy being awkward and annoying and deliberately looking to hold up other drivers! �� A guy driving slowly in the outer lane is definitely a major cause for the old road rage! ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

at 50KPH you're obviously going through road works, probably with slow moving traffic. If both lanes are moving around the same speed with heavy traffic in both lanes, ignore him.

If the outside lane is relatively clear you should only be using it to over take. Complete your maneuver but don't be a plastic traffic cop. Complete your over take and move back in.

The problem at these roadworks is you get some drivers that will drive at 40KPH despite the fact that it's Sunday and no one is about, and others that continue at 100KPH+. If you're ever hit from behind its the driver from behind that is in the wrong, so simply ignore them IMHO.

Don't 'test your brakes', don't act the maggot. You never know when it's an unmarked car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I think both parties are in the wrong here. Forgive me if I read this wrongly, but it appeared to me that the "flashee" was also using the lane for more than just overtaking. While tailgating and flashing is pretty anti-social in my book, its probably not much worse than hogging the overtaking lane.

Though legally, I'm not sure who would be liable if there was an accident.

Thanks for your response.

There was traffic ahead of me and to my left with no immediate opportunity to change lanes, therefore I am not sure about the 'hogging' issue. If I was hogging the lane, well then the 20-30 cars ahead of me on the same lane were doing likewise.

The 'flasher' came up suddenly behind me but I did not notice if he overtook anyone-as it was quite busy I think he probably sped up on the overtaking lane. I was dumbfounded that he wanted to overtake me as he could see clearly there was nowhere to go once he would have done. Was he going to flash the next 30 cars as well? Any info on the legality of flashing lights?
    Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

The overtaking lane is for overtaking ONLY so get out of it, simple really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

There was traffic ahead of me and to my left with no immediate opportunity to change lanes, therefore I am not sure about the 'hogging' issue. If I was hogging the lane, well then the 20-30 cars ahead of me on the same lane were doing likewise.

The 'flasher' came up suddenly behind me but I did not notice if he overtook anyone-as it was quite busy I think he probably sped up on the overtaking lane. I was dumbfounded that he wanted to overtake me as he could see clearly there was nowhere to go once he would have done. Was he going to flash the next 30 cars as well? Any info on the legality of flashing lights?
    Thank you

You'd fail a test but I'm not sure it's enough to get a any sort of sanction. Many people (myself included) under go a change as soon as they sit behind the wheel of a car - mine thankfully is quite mild. Many people are less well hung than I though. I find the best thing to do is drive defensively and ignore the large number of morons.

If it rose to the level of reckless or dangerous driving then you could probably make a complaint. Hand free kits are great for reporting muppetts.
    kuro2k wrote: »

:rolleyes: Yet another person with no understanding that different road scenarios require different ways of driving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Are you overtaking? if not, you should not be in there.
    Both lanes are quite busy and you would have to negoitate changing, what would you do?
    If you were unable to complete the overtake when you started it, you shouldn't have started it.
    Is the driver behind me in any way breaking the law regarding flashing? What are the rules regarding flashing lights? The driver came well up behind me-certainly not the prescribed yardage for braking.
    He was, at the very least for dangerous driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thank you

While roads are busy it's a bit harder to judge unless we where with you if you where required to change back into the driving lane once you passed the slower moving traffic. Way too many variables to get the correct answer.

The only thing I can say is that it's no one job apart from the Gardaì to enforce our traffic laws so if someone is driving fast or too close to you pull back into the driving lane when safe and let them go, you can pull back out behind them if the traffic in the driving lane is travelling slower than you. If you don't like their driving contact Traffic watch to report them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

It's my understanding of the rules of the road, that a road with a speed limit of less than 60 KPH has NO overtaking or "fast" lane, so you are well within your rights to be in either lane

This road is about half a mile long ending in traffic lights with a straight ahead and a left turn-most cars going straight remain on the overtaking lane whilst those turning left remain on the inside lane. If cars used the outer lane for overtaking only then there would be absolute chaos as
    cars would be bobbing and weaving all over the place over that short stretch.

So it's not that simple, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

This road is about half a mile long ending in traffic lights with a straight ahead and a left turn-most cars going straight remain on the overtaking lane whilst those turning left remain on the inside lane. If cars used the outer lane for overtaking only then there would be absolute chaos as

If you gave the location it might help with your explanation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I was dumbfounded that he wanted to overtake me as he could see clearly there was nowhere to go once he would have done. ...
    I find most tools people who drive stupidly / illegally are dumbfounded about driving matters. As already pointed out, it's an overtaking lane (for overtaking like) and your responsibility is to move to your left once you have completed your overtake.

The other issue is that when you are approached by traffic from behind on a multi-lane carriageway, you must move left.

RTFM

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

In order for me to change lanes, I might have to accelerate a little and break speed limit. Is the driver behind me in any way breaking the law regarding flashing? What are the rules regarding flashing lights? The driver came well up behind me-certainly not the prescribed yardage for braking.

First of all if you are in that lane and you are not overtaking traffic you have no business to be in it first place. 20/30/no cars in front of you at all.

Is he breaking the law, probably. But equally you could be accused of driving without proper due care and attention firstly by entering the overtaking lane and using it as a driving lane and secondly being in the lane and not performing an overtaking manoeuvre.

Two wrongs in this instance don't make a right.

MajorMax wrote: »
    It's my understanding of the rules of the road, that a road with a speed limit of less than 60 KPH has NO overtaking or "fast" lane, so you are well within your rights to be in either lane

Thanks for your reply. Where would you have got that info? Is it in rules of the Road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Look, it's the high horse brigade out in force again.

I'm sure every poster in this thread has obeyed the rules of the road to the fullest extent since they started driving.

To the OP, it is bad form from that driver flashing you and telling you to move in if it was clear that there was traffic ahead. It has happened to me plenty driving home, where 3 lanes at rush hour are filled with traffic, if I am passing a few cars and there is cars in front of me doing the same and someone behind starts tail-gating then I simply look for an opportunity to get back into the driving lane and when he has passed I try to get back out in order to pass the cars again.

Surely everyone knows on a 2-3 lane carriageway with several cars going in the driving lane that you can't pass one car, weave in, pop out pass another, weave back in again. If there is 10 consecutive cars in a close line to each other you will pass all ten cars and so you could be in the overtaking lane longer than expected.

mathepac wrote: »
    I find most tools people who drive stupidly / illegally are dumbfounded about driving matters. As already pointed out, it's an overtaking lane (for overtaking like) and your responsibility is to move to your left once you have completed your overtake.

The other issue is that when you are approached by traffic from behind on a multi-lane carriageway, you must move left.

RTFM

HTH

Thank you for your response.

Must I move left on a dual carraigeway if approached from behind? How do you know? Where is that written down exactly?

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I really do think its an education issue on the motorways with regards to lane discipline. before I came on here I was one of the twats with no concept of lane discipline and thought the middle lane was my own personal kingdom. Now I actively pay attention to how the traffic is flowing and drive in the inside lane as much as possible. Unfortunately the majority of road users don't seem aware of how lane hogging affects the flow of traffic the length of the motorway etc. Its probably due to the fact that motorway driving isn't taught in Irish driving test which is beyond stupid.

• Advertisement

Look, it's the high horse brigade out in force again.

I'm sure every poster in this thread has obeyed the rules of the road to the fullest extent since they started driving.

To the OP, it is bad form from that driver flashing you and telling you to move in if it was clear that there was traffic ahead. It has happened to me plenty driving home, where 3 lanes at rush hour are filled with traffic, if I am passing a few cars and there is cars in front of me doing the same and someone behind starts tail-gating then I simply look for an opportunity to get back into the driving lane and when he has passed I try to get back out in order to pass the cars again.

Surely everyone knows on a 2-3 lane carriageway with several cars going in the driving lane that you can't pass one car, weave in, pop out pass another, weave back in again. If there is 10 consecutive cars in a close line to each other you will pass all ten cars and so you could be in the overtaking lane longer than expected.

Spot on. It might be more dangerous doing that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

My advice is to ignore the maniac flashing lights at you, stay calm, keep driving at the speed limit, and finish your overtaking manoeuvre pulling back in to the left hand lane when it is safe to do.

If the person starts to tailgate you trying to pressure you to speed, slow down to ensure a 2 sec gap is kept between the cars - and simultaneously pissing them off as much as possible.

In order for me to change lanes, I might have to accelerate a little and break speed limit.
    If there is 10 consecutive cars in a close line to each other you will pass all ten cars and so you could be in the overtaking lane longer than expected.
    From your post earlier, it sounded like if you speed up that there was space to pull in, i.e. you were not moving faster than the traffic to your left. Hence you were not overtaking. If on the other hand, you were travelling faster and as such, engaging in an overtake (but it wasn't clear from your post), then you were doing nothing wrong.
    Either way, the guy with the lights is engaging in dangerous behaviour, complete the overtake safely and then try and remember his details to report him to the Gardai. You should not attempt to facilitate him if you feel it is either dangerous or it will lead to you breaking the law.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Giruilla wrote: »
    My advice is to ignore the maniac flashing lights at you, stay calm, keep driving at the speed limit, and finish your overtaking manoeuvre pulling back in to the left hand lane when it is safe to do.

Exactly.

You have 3 options:
    - Do what he wants you to do and crash into a car on the left so he can overtake.
    - Get stressed out/become aggressive because there is no way you can do what he asks. Or
    - Ignore him and get on with your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

chops018 wrote: »

yep pretty much that, your supposed to be in the driving/left/lane 1 unless overtaking. overtaking involves leaving proper space to the cars infront/behind to complete the move, and not weaving in and out into whatever space is there. once your moving past someone you have every right to be in lane 2/3 whatever your speed. whoever is behind can just accept it. although personally id rather people got on with their overtaking manoeuvres quickly as you could be sitting in someones blind spot
    Giruilla wrote: »
    If the person starts to tailgate you trying to pressure you to speed, slow down to ensure a 2 sec gap is kept between the cars - and simultaneously pissing them off as much as possible.
    thats a good start, but remember by tailgating they have already shown complete disregard for their and others safety.... watch them like a hawk should they react

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

overshoot wrote: »
    yep pretty much that, your supposed to be in the driving/left/lane 1 unless overtaking. overtaking involved leaving proper space to the cars infront/behind to complete the move, and not weaving in and out into whatever space is there. once your moving past someone you have every right to be in lane 2/3 whatever your speed. whoever is behind can just accept it. although personally id rather people got on with their overtaking manoeuvres quickly as you could be sitting in someones blind spot

You can overtake multiple cars without moving back to lane 1 if you are not holding anyone up.
    If you are holding someone up you should move in to let them pass and then continue with your overtaking.
    Passing cars on the left doesnt give you carte blanche to hold other drivers up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Its probably due to the fact that motorway driving isn't taught in Irish driving test which is beyond stupid.
    Nothing to stop a learner from taking a few lessons on motorway driving once they have passed their test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

GreeBo wrote: »
    You can overtake multiple cars without moving back to lane 1 if you are not holding anyone up.
    If you are holding someone up you should move in to let them pass and then continue with your overtaking.
    Passing cars on the left doesnt give you carte blanche to hold other drivers up.
    didnt mean carte blanche but if you dont have reasonable space to adjust speed and keep proper distances you are still overtaking and not obliged to pull in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I know this is probably not relevant in this thread but:

Many years ago, not long after I started driving, the same thing happened me. Irate guy behind me flashing lights for me to pull out of his way, etc. It was not a dual carriageway and it was a 30mph zone so I was pretty thick about his arrogance but I thought it better to pull into the hard shoulder out of his way than be involved in an accident.

As it happens I was going mostly the same way as him and other people didn't pull over so I was fairly close behind him for the next 5-10mins. Turns out he was bringing a child to the hospital.

I couldn't see the child in the mirror but could see when he passed me out. I've no idea how bad the injury/illness was but I was very glad I didn't try to be a vigilante road cop and keep him behind me.

I'm fairly certain the guy behind the OP wasn't in the same situation but I guess you never know when someone will be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

No Pants wrote: »
    Nothing to stop a learner from taking a few lessons on motorway driving once they have passed their test.

In reality how many do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Well if it isn't that simple why don't you give the exact location of the incident?

link to google maps would be even better

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

In response to the original post , some quotes from the Rules Of The Road....

“You must not break the speed limit, even when overtaking.”

“If you display road rage as a driver, it means you have uncontrolled anger that
    results in intimidation or violence against another driver.
    Aggressive driving is inconsiderate, stupid driving. It can involve speeding,
    tailgating (driving too close behind another vehicle), failing to use an indicator
    for lane changes, recklessly weaving in and out of traffic and over-use of a horn
    or flashing headlights.
    If another driver is attempting to provoke you, don’t react. Don’t be tempted to
    speed up, brake or swerve suddenly. This could cause a crash or make other
    drivers think you are confronting them. Instead, stay calm and remain focused
    on your driving to complete your journey safely. Always remember that safety is
    your number one concern.
    Report all incidents to your local Garda station or contact Traffic Watch on:
    Lo-Call 1890 205 805.”

“You must normally drive in the left-hand lane of a dual carriageway. You may
    use the outer lane of a two-lane or three-lane dual carriageway only:
    · for overtaking, and
    · when intending to turn right a short distance ahead.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

In reality how many do this?
    I did.

1? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agentino

I got road rage even reading the original post and am not fit to drive after reading some of the responses. Get off the road I say and get out of peoples way. If people want to speed and break the law I am sure the Gardaí will be onto them in good time.

And if people reading my reply think I am a wnaker then don't ever drive on the Motorway in the UK where there is no mercy to people in the wrong lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agentino

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

I know this is a little off topic but I was driving a long a stretch of 120kph road doing 100kph. There was a car in front of me doing 50 and there was a car in the outside lane so I couldn't overtake. Had to jam on the brakes and flashed the fook out of the driver. Then went to overtake them and they matched my speed, absolutely head wrecking.

agentino wrote: »
    I got road rage even reading the original post and am not fit to drive after reading some of the responses. Get off the road I say and get out of peoples way. If people want to speed and break the law I am sure the Gardaí will be onto them in good time.

And if people reading my reply think I am a wnaker then don't ever drive on the Motorway in the UK where there is no mercy to people in the wrong lanes

I would not get out of someone's way if I was not breaking the law and if it meant that my safety (and that of other drivers) is being compromised by a bad driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If there is an idiot behind or anyone else for that matter, get out of their way.
    Better to have them in front of you where you can see them easier.

kevc2 wrote: »
    I know this is a little off topic but I was driving a long a stretch of 120kph road doing 100kph. There was a car in front of me doing 50 and there was a car in the outside lane so I couldn't overtake. Had to jam on the brakes and flashed the fook out of the driver. Then went to overtake them and they matched my speed, absolutely head wrecking.
    Its infuriating but incredibly common, I can never understand the idea of matching speed when someone attempts to overtake.
    I would not get out of someone's way if I was not breaking the law and if it meant that my safety (and that of other drivers) is being compromised by a bad driver.
    Obviously, I really hope no one would move in a manner that compromised safety, but again, you see it all the time.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its infuriating but incredibly common, I can never understand the idea of matching speed when someone attempts to overtake.

Obviously, I really hope no one would move in a manner that compromised safety, but again, you see it all the time.

Yes, you do indeed.

Flashing lights anyone?
    Is it legal?
    When are you allowed do it?
    Is here any rule specifically limiting its use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Really? Have you a reference/link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

correct but by flashing lights the guy is behind is the biggest ass imo.

there are a lot of brutal drivers out there,sometimes I see an oul dear in the OT lane,i just hold back,the days of flashing lights are well gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Back to the original question:
    ... Is the driver behind me in any way breaking the law regarding flashing?

(Flashing headlights, not his personal weaponry)

There are strict construction regulations for cars, so if they fit a switch for flashing lights it can't be illegal. Of course if it's done in the wrong circumstances it's a different matter, similar to blowing the horn at the wrong time.

Wheelnut wrote: »

There are strict construction regulations for cars, so if they fit a switch for flashing lights it can't be illegal. Of course if it's done in the wrong circumstances it's a different matter, similar to blowing the horn at the wrong time.

Think these have been amended but believe the relevant section still stands.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0189.html#zzsi189y1963a42

Restrictions on flashing lights.
    42. No lamp (other than direction indicators) fitted to a vehicle shall show or be constructed or adapted so as to be capable of showing a flashing light unless such light is invisible to persons outside the vehicle.

I am not aware of any law that makes it illegal to flash your lights, but am open to correction.

That's exactly what I think.

If there is a capacity to flash then there must be a use for it but at the same there must be restrictions on its use just like, as you say, the horn. What there restrictions are I do not kow.

I am sure if you flashed an oncoming Garda car (s)he would pull you over. But why? Dangerous/Careless driving? But there must be a written reference to it somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

kevc2 wrote: »

Whatever speed they were travelling at, why did you have to slam on the brakes, this would suggest that you were not paying attention. Likewise why did you feel you should "flash the fook out of the driver" when they were behaving entirely legally, although not travelling as fast as you wish? You were acting the lout and they responded by acting the maggot, let he who is without guilt cast the first stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

Whatever speed they were travelling at, why did you have to slam on the brakes, this would suggest that you were not paying attention. Likewise why did you feel you should "flash the fook out of the driver" when they were behaving entirely legally, although not travelling as fast as you wish? You were acting the lout and they responded by acting the maggot, let he who is without guilt cast the first stone.

Is there not a minimum speed you can drive at on a motorway? There was a car in front of me travelling at 100, the same speed as me. He got close to the car and changed into the outside lane. There was a car in the outside lane when I got to him, I couldn't change lane and had to slam on. Driving at 50 on a motorway is extremely dangerous, I flashed him because he scared the crap out of me and that's the way I reacted. I was paying complete attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Nope you always are meant to keep left where possible regardless of speed limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

infosys wrote: »
    Restrictions on flashing lights.
    42. No lamp (other than direction indicators) fitted to a vehicle shall show or be constructed or adapted so as to be capable of showing a flashing light unless such light is invisible to persons outside the vehicle.

Although it does not say so I would suspect that is a prohibition on lights that flash in a pattern so as to mimic an emergency vehicle, for instance you will often see emergency vehicles with the left and right headlamps flashing alternately.

Although it does not say so I would suspect that is a prohibition on lights that flash in a pattern so as to mimic an emergency vehicle, for instance you will often see emergency vehicles with the left and right headlamps flashing alternately.

I agree hence why I added "I am not aware of any law that makes it illegal to flash your lights, but am open to correction."

• Advertisement
Advertisement