Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whose the right person to go to?

• 18-10-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭

Not sure if this is in the right thread so mods feel free to move it..

I've been in the gym the last 2 years and have recently been advised by one of the personal trainers in my new gym that my hips are out of alignment. I was wondering is the best person to go to a Chiropractor, Physiotherapist or who would be the right person to deal with this kind of problem?

Thanks for any info anyone can give!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Physiotherapist would be the best to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Physio or physical therspist, for this either would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Physio or physical therspist, for this either would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Great thanks lads! Have a couple more questions... Does anyone know if this is something thats usually resolved in one session or does it take some repeat sessions (probably depends on the severity of it I suppose) and also, is it something that if I get done I can't go to the gym for a couple weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Iano_128 wrote: »
    Great thanks lads! Have a couple more questions... Does anyone know if this is something thats usually resolved in one session or does it take some repeat sessions (probably depends on the severity of it I suppose) and also, is it something that if I get done I can't go to the gym for a couple weeks?
    go first and they will let you know from there.

Where are you based? Someone can give you a recommendation

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    go first and they will let you know from there.

Where are you based? Someone can give you a recommendation

Thanks, based in Clondalkin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Ken Lawlor is on your doorstep

http://www.kennethlawlor.ie/home.html

Did the same course as myself and has a good reputation (athough haven't personally been treated by him)

In terms of treatment it would depend on the severity of symptoms and the underlying cause so nigh on impossible to accurately assess over the internet (hence the reasoning behind the medical advice rule here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Just wondering how this affects you?
    Saying your hips are out of alignment is very vague. If it aint broke don't fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Just wondering how this affects you?
    Saying your hips are out of alignment is very vague. If it aint broke don't fix it.

You only notice the difference once it's sorted, tbh.

Thanks for all the replies! Well when I stand up straight my body isn't straight.. So it affects me :) Also, I've been told it's harder to make progress in the gym with it the way it is because the weight isn't being distributed evenly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

If it's a soft tissue problem a physio should sort it fairly fast but if it's skeletal it is a different matter. More likely the former our you would have known about it before if more serious.

First Up wrote: »
    If it's a soft tissue problem a physio should sort it fairly fast but if it's skeletal it is a different matter. More likely the former our you would have known about it before if more serious.

Well I'd assume its skeletal? I really don't have a clue though, didn't even think such a thing existed 'til the trainer said it to me. I'd noticed for a while that one side of me (shoulders mainly) was a slight bit bigger than the other but assumed I was just training wrong, but when he got me to stand dead straight I could see it.

Well I'd assume its skeletal? I really don't have a clue though, didn't even think such a thing existed 'til the trainer said it to me. I'd noticed for a while that one side of me (shoulders mainly) was a slight bit bigger than the other but assumed I was just training wrong, but when he got me to stand dead straight I could see it.

My physio spotted something that sounds very similar and dealt with it in a few sessions. Mine was all a soft tissue thing so hopefully you will be OK. I would definitely see a proper physio, not a physical therapist.

My physio spotted something that sounds very similar and dealt with it in a few sessions. Mine was all a soft tissue thing so hopefully you will be OK. I would definitely see a proper physio, not a physical therapist.

Good stuff, hopefully mines the same thing then! Much rather muscular problems then skeletal! Not sure if you train or do any sports or anything but if you do, when you were getting the treatments were you told not to do any gym/sports or was it ok to keep doing things?

Good stuff, hopefully mines the same thing then! Much rather muscular problems then skeletal! Not sure if you train or do any sports or anything but if you do, when you were getting the treatments were you told not to do any gym/sports or was it ok to keep doing things?

I do a fair bit. I went to physio because of some lower back stiffness and she spotted the other matter. Not really inter connected - back sorted itself but I laid off sit ups and the like for a week or so. Physio didn't stop me doing anything - just suggested a few new exercises and stretches.
    But every case is different so best get a pro to look at you.

I do a fair bit. I went to physio because of some lower back stiffness and she spotted the other matter. Not really inter connected - back sorted itself but I laid off sit ups and the like for a week or so. Physio didn't stop me doing anything - just suggested a few new exercises and stretches.
    But every case is different so best get a pro to look at you.

Yeah I made an appointment there with a Physio in my area, he's the only chartered one in Clondalkin apparently so said it'd be best to go with him. 1st appointment is just an initial assessment so should know exactly what it is soon enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭dragonkin

Curious as to what a physio can actually do about something like this... I doubt a bit of stretching and some foam rolling will sort out a misaligned hip which is generally a systematic problem and probably related to some form of incorrect/repetitive movement or bad body awareness etc. I'm pretty skeptical about most physios tho.

dragonkin wrote: »
    Curious as to what a physio can actually do about something like this... I doubt a bit of stretching and some foam rolling will sort out a misaligned hip which is generally a systematic problem and probably related to some form of incorrect/repetitive movement or bad body awareness etc. I'm pretty skeptical about most physios tho.

I've been told that's more than likely what caused it yeah.. Do you think I'd be better off going to someone else then? Don't know what it is that Physio's do and don't want to waste money finding out they can't help me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭dragonkin

I've been told that's more than likely what caused it yeah.. Do you think I'd be better off going to someone else then? Don't know what it is that Physio's do and don't want to waste money finding out they can't help me..

I'm not too sure myself that is why I asked the question my experience with physios is limited but mostly negative. But I am curious as to what kind of service they could provide that might fix this. My experience with dealing with my own issues is that it is mostly in the head and the way we move that the problem lies. We think we are moving correctly but in reality we are not. Alexander technique and somatics are some modalities that deal with this but they are probably a bit 'woo' for some here. All I know is that stretching a muscle but still moving like crap isn't going to fix anything, Kelly Starrett is another person who explains things quite well but I think his solutions can be a bit limited sometimes. The simple reality is that we are not taught how to use our bodies and the environment we grow up in distorts our natural movement patterns, it is extremely difficult to correct this and my own belief is that the approach favoured by many physios which tends to be very localised does not work.

dragonkin wrote: »
    I'm not too sure myself that is why I asked the question my experience with physios is limited but mostly negative. But I am curious as to what kind of service they could provide that might fix this. My experience with dealing with my own issues is that it is mostly in the head and the way we move that the problem lies. We think we are moving correctly but in reality we are not. Alexander technique and somatics are some modalities that deal with this but they are probably a bit 'woo' for some here. All I know is that stretching a muscle but still moving like crap isn't going to fix anything, Kelly Starrett is another person who explains things quite well but I think his solutions can be a bit limited sometimes. The simple reality is that we are not taught how to use our bodies and the environment we grow up in distorts our natural movement patterns, it is extremely difficult to correct this and my own belief is that the approach favoured by many physios which tends to be very localised does not work.
    All I can say is that I have had excellent results from two different physios (I changed because the first left Dublin.) The first one sorted out some long standing issues that were the legacy of a rugby career among other things. That took a while - best part of a year - but the results were good and the problems have not returned. That physio was big into sports and sports people and really knew her stuff.

The second physio is also sports aware and sorted what sounds a very similar problem to that described in the OP in a couple of sessions. Other than some specific exercises and stretches and advice on posture, she doesn't see the need for anything else.

I have been very impressed with their knowledge and skill and the results are there to see. I'll be happy to recommend mine if the OP wants to PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

All I can say is that I have had excellent results from two different physios (I changed because the first left Dublin.) The first one sorted out some long standing issues that were the legacy of a rugby career among other things. That took a while - best part of a year - but the results were good and the problems have not returned. That physio was big into sports and sports people and really knew her stuff.

The second physio is also sports aware and sorted what sounds a very similar problem to that described in the OP in a couple of sessions. Other than some specific exercises and stretches and advice on posture, she doesn't see the need for anything else.

I have been very impressed with their knowledge and skill and the results are there to see. I'll be happy to recommend mine if the OP wants to PM me.

Just out of curiosity who did you go to? :)

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity who did you go to? :)

I'll PM you

Advertisement