Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Upper Back Pain After Seizure

Options
  • 14-10-2013 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I had a seizure nearly 3 weeks ago and my back has been in bits since.
    I was sitting on the step outside the back door when it happened.... I don't remember it, but my friend seen it, and we reckon the damage was caused by all the bouncing off the kitchen tiles. Doctors in A&E just said it was a one off, and I should be grand.
    I went to the doctor over a week ago over the back pain then, and she just said it'll get better in a while and told me just to take anti-inflams.
    Nothing is really helping with the pain, its still really painful to move, like turning in the bed, with or without tablets.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on maybe strengthening the back or something? ....... I used to have really bad swollen tendons a lot in my feet, until the trainer at the gym got me on to exercises to strengthen them, and they worked! .......But its too painful to go anywhere with my back right now, so I can't really get to the gym.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Off to the physio with ya mate. They should be able to assess you and give you a good rehab program.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭timmybob13

How much is the physio though? .....

I'm so afraid of anyone touching my back, even leaning on something murders it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If I was you I'd go to a doctor and get a reference for an MRI. Then take things from there.

He has been to the doctor and they didnt refer him for an mri. Head to the physio have an assessment and treatment. Ask them do they think you need an MRI/CT/XRAY and if you need a letter for your GP to explain their findings.
    Physio appointments are between 40 and 80 I think.

Sure the pain's only been there 3 weeks this wednesday, would MRI's not be saved for more serious cases? Gonna head to the doctor anyway on wednes, see what the craic is now!

• Advertisement

You can lead a horse to water. . . . . .

I didnt see your comment before I replied ok..................... btw, its she.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't go back to the doctor is the important thing. This isn't their area of expertise, a physio will be better able to assess the root cause of the pain and if they do believe it's a medical issue or there is a necessity for tests (mri / xray) they can send you back to the doctor with more specific information in a letter.

Good luck getting yourself sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Don't go back to the doctor is the important thing. This isn't their area of expertise, a physio will be better able to assess the root cause of the pain and if they do believe it's a medical issue or there is a necessity for tests (mri / xray) they can send you back to the doctor with more specific information in a letter.

Good luck getting yourself sorted.

This.

The physio will probably set you back €50.

As an example of how it might work, I badly tore my calf muscle, went to the physio, she suspected a possible hairline fracture/ potential compartment syndrome so she gave me a letter and I went directly to the VHI Swiftcare clinic up the road, had the X-Ray, no break, back to physio, began treatment, she didn't charge me for the return visit.

The other positive of the precautionary trip to the doc was I got a big bag of difene! Yaaaaayyyyyy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Good plot

I would say to you try to stretch the muscle where the pain is, don't over do it though, I suffered with my back for a few years and spent a fortune on physio's and chiropractors and realised they were just stretching the muscle which gave me some relief, I stretch my back muscles myself now and it works for me. But if it doesn't work go the physio route because the doc will just send you there anyway and the chiropractor will try make you come back just for the money. That's my experience

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My dad actually fractured a vertebrae during a seizure before and his GP told him that the pain would go away, to take some Panadol and sent him home so I definitely would urge you to take back pain after a seizure seriously. Are you taking medicine for epilepsy? I believe that some anti-epileptic medications can increase bone disease, make the patient more susceptible to bone weakening etc.

I'm not suggesting, of course, that you have a broken bone but if I were you, I would go about seeing another doctor. Aside from aiding with the physical pain you're experiencing, it would be good to put your mind at ease.

Advertisement