Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a driver flashing lights to move out of the way

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Wheelnut wrote: »
    Although it does not say so I would suspect that is a prohibition on lights that flash in a pattern so as to mimic an emergency vehicle, for instance you will often see emergency vehicles with the left and right headlamps flashing alternately.
    i thought they were the only ones who could use blue lights (dont ask me to quote anything though)
    although everything else seems to run orange/yellow
    although i know one recover truck with blue/pink

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

bobbyss wrote: »
    Thank you for your response.

Must I move left on a dual carraigeway if approached from behind? How do you know? Where is that written down exactly?

Thank you.
    RTFM - ROTR, RSA. HTH xxx

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88970918&postcount=33

Thanks to @Thall04 for links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Unmarked Garda car was on the N11 a while back, it was over taking a car when when another car comes up behind the Garda car and flashed it, Garda car flashed the blue lights and pulled the car over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Boaty wrote: »
    Unmarked Garda car was on the N11 a while back, it was over taking a car when when another car comes up behind the Garda car and flashed it, Garda car flashed the blue lights and pulled the car over.

Wonder why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wonder why?
    Dangerous driving I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Absolutely yes you can flash your lights as a warning to other drivers.
    a couple of years ago on the M1 north I was behind some twat hogging the overtaking lane. I undertook him. I got pulled by the garda traffic corps! they said don't u.dertake but by all means flash the fast lane hog and even use the horn. if he doesn't wake up, the advice was to go to the left lane and call the hog in to the traffic watch phone number. unfortunately the hogs tend to get off. I want forward firing exocet missiles for my bus to deal with fast lane hogs.

deandean wrote: »
    ... I want forward firing exocet missiles for my bus to deal with fast lane hogs.
    'I say Brian. Oh Brian, quick you'll enjoy this.'

'What Stewie? I'm busy here licking my nutz.'

'Some bus-driver dude thinks there's a fast-lane on Irish motorway-type roads'

'So?'

'Ain't no such a thing Dude, ain't no such a thing.'

'So?'

'I win again doo doo doo do, I win again ...'

'Oh for Crissakes' Lick, lick lick ...

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dangerous driving I imagine.

Yet as Deandean says a Garda advised him to flash. So it could not be dangerous driving.

Yet as Deandean says a Garda advised him to flash. So it could not be dangerous driving.
    Well the Garda pulled him over for undertaking, what he recommended he do is report the car to traffic watch. In terms of the lights and horn, the Garda seems to say its OK to warn/advise the other motorist as they may have been/seem to be not paying attention so in this scenario it would have been for safety/warning etc.

The dangerous driving I refer to (on the N11) could be a number of things, to close to the car in front, speeding, aggressive behaviour etc. but basically being a numpty and the Garda will find a rule that supports that opinion.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that of course you are right, gardai are infallible and could not possibly make a mistake, like the time I got pulled over for no NCT in a Volvo P1800 from 1969 and the Garda did not believe me that it was exempt from an NCT.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well the Garda pulled him over for undertaking, what he recommended he do is report the car to traffic watch. In terms of the lights and horn, the Garda seems to say its OK to warn/advise the other motorist as they may have been/seem to be not paying attention so in this scenario it would have been for safety/warning etc.

And here is the conflict. As Boaty above refers to an incident where the Guards pulled over a car (presumably) for flashing them (in an unmarked car). We do not know why that person flashed the unmarked car-perhaps to move over? Perhaps to warn/advise?

Yet you refer to the Guards saying it is ok to flash to warn/advise.

I do not know if it is legal to flash a car still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

correct but by flashing lights the guy is behind is the biggest ass imo.

there are a lot of brutal drivers out there,sometimes I see an oul dear in the OT lane,i just hold back,the days of flashing lights are well gone.

Personally I think it's a good thing to educate drivers that they're in the wrong lane. Otherwise, the "oul dears" just cruise along for miles and miles with tailbacks of frustrated drivers behind them and that leads to problems.

And here is the conflict. As Boaty above refers to an incident where the Guards pulled over a car (presumably) for flashing them (in an unmarked car). We do not know why that person flashed the unmarked car-perhaps to move over? Perhaps to warn/advise?
    We don't know, we can speculate but we don't know
    Yet you refer to the Guards saying it is ok to flash to warn/advise.
    I do not know if it is legal to flash a car still.
    Its not illegal as a safety warning AFAIK but could stand corrected. I am referring to a post not saying it myself. The gardai may not have pulled the car over for the flashing, he could have been travelling to close to the unmarked car, aka dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Re my previous post
    The car who flashed the garda car was doing it to signal the garda car to get out of the way even tho the garda car had just overtaken another car.
    Driver was given a verbal warning and told not to flash someone to get out of way unless they are lane hogging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

infosys wrote: »
    It's not a fast Lane it's an overtaking lane, was the person in the process of over taking another car if so he should complete if not he should not be in that Lane simples.

Bother, whilst this is the letter, it's not what happens.

But even taking your per the letter point, the OP should most certainly not have been hogging the fast lane as he was making NO attempt to overtake anything.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    ... hogging the fast lane ....
    'Hey Brian, I say Brian. Brian, Brian. Brian, Brian. Hey wake up Brian. There's another guy who thinks Irish roads have fast lanes Brian. What do they teach them Brian, just what eh? Brian, Brian ...'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Boaty wrote: »
    Re my previous post
    The car who flashed the garda car was doing it to signal the garda car to get out of the way even tho the garda car had just overtaken another car.
    Driver was given a verbal warning and told not to flash someone to get out of way unless they are lane hogging.

You seem to know a bit about the motivation of the driver and what happened after he got pulled over. Is there a reason why you know these things? :D

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Bother, whilst this is the letter, it's not what happens.

But even taking your per the letter point, the OP should most certainly not have been hogging the fast lane as he was making NO attempt to overtake anything.

No, no atempt to overtake. It was quite busy, the road was short. Traffic lights upcoming. The 30 or so cars ahead in the outer lane were also making no effort to overtake. I would imagine all of them (including me) were going straight and not turning left, otherwise we would be in left lane.

Are all cars on the outer lane who are making no effort to overtake hogging the lane? Traffic lights ahead, inside laners usually turn left , outer laners go straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Are all cars on the outer lane who are making no effort to overtake hogging the lane? Traffic lights ahead, inside laners usually turn left , outer laners go straight.

Where did this happen? To the letter of the law you should not be in the outside lane and not overtaking slower moving vehicles.

TonyStark wrote: »
    Where did this happen? To the letter of the law you should not be in the outside lane and not overtaking slower moving vehicles.

The Quincentennial Bridge Galway going west. It is a dual carraigeway type road and less than a mile I would imagine. Coming to the Traffic lights the outer lane has a straight arrow and the left lane has a straight and left arrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

The Quincentennial Bridge Galway going west. It is a dual carraigeway type road and less than a mile I would imagine. Coming to the Traffic lights the outer lane has a straight arrow and the left lane has a straight and left arrow.

Is there a solid white line separating the 2 lanes?

If not, you have to keep to the left most lane whenever possible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

I don't like aggressive driving but I think bad driving as expressed above contributes to it.

I've retaliated to driving like this out of fury. A tail-back of 10 cars on the M1 in both lanes, on a motorbike I passed the lot on the white line (should never be done) and started cruising at 60kmph in front of the guy in the over-taking lane.

That was bad behaviour on my part but it fixed the situation and relieved my anger.

The Dagda wrote: »
    Is there a solid white line separating the 2 lanes?

If not, you have to keep to the left most lane whenever possible.

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

No

Well then technically you are supposed to keep left until just before the junction.

If you can't move back into the left lane after overtaking then there's nothing you can do.

Someone trying to force you to move is wrong and frustrating, but generally for your own sanity it's better to move over, if you can, and let them trouble someone else.

You'll no doubt catch up to them again at the junction but at least you'll be calmer and less stressed than the other person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kevc2 wrote: »
    Is there not a minimum speed you can drive at on a motorway? There was a car in front of me travelling at 100, the same speed as me. He got close to the car and changed into the outside lane. There was a car in the outside lane when I got to him, I couldn't change lane and had to slam on. Driving at 50 on a motorway is extremely dangerous, I flashed him because he scared the crap out of me and that's the way I reacted. I was paying complete attention.

No, there is no minimum speed limit above which you must drive at on a motorway. However your vehicle must be capable of driving at 50km/h on a level surface.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1977/en/si/0396.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

kevc2 wrote: »
    Is there not a minimum speed you can drive at on a motorway?
    I don't think so. There's a minimum speed that your vehicle of choice must be able to do; 50km/h, but there's nothing to say you must do that. However, a guard may decide that travelling at such a speed is careless or even dangerous.

No Pants wrote: »
    I don't think so. There's a minimum speed that your vehicle of choice must be able to do; 50km/h, but there's nothing to say you must do that. However, a guard may decide that travelling at such a speed is careless or even dangerous.

Does this mean that a guard will automatically pull me over if I am driving at 50km/h? Does it say in any Act that driving st 50km/h on a motorway is careless or dangerous?

If there is no law about driving at 50km/h, how can the guard pull me over for driving at 50km/h once I am driving correctly and obeying all the rules of the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Does this mean that a guard will automatically pull me over if I am driving at 50km/h? Does it say in any Act that driving st 50km/h on a motorway is careless or dangerous?

If there is no law about driving at 50km/h, how can the guard pull me over for driving at 50km/h once I am driving correctly and obeying all the rules of the road?
    There is a responsibility to keep up with the flow of traffic. I would say that travelling 70km/h slower than everyone else would not be keeping up, to the point where your lack of progress would be dangerous.

Guards can be quite lazy, but I like to think that a guard would pull over anyone that he/she found travelling on a motorway at 50km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

There can be no hard and fast rule about driving at a speed below the set speed limit. In certain circumstances driving at 50kph on the motorway could be very reasonable depending on traffic conditions or weather conditions. I have had to like all other drivers in serious weather slow way down. But driving at 50kph on a motor way in good conditions could in my opinion be dangerous driving, if a person is having car trouble they should try and get the car to the next exit and leave the motorway.

Someone with better maths than me may be able to correct my assertion, a car approaching a car travelling at 50kph when the second car is doing 120kph is closing in at about 20 meters per second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Anyone doing 50km/h on a motorway should not be on one. They will cause accidents, tail backs and frustrate many drivers. I don't always drive fast on a motorway but if a wagon or truck overtakes that is my indicator that I am going to slow. I think everyone should be able to drive at 100 km/h on a motorway - traffic obviously will effect this, but on 75% of our motorways it is unlikely there will be heavy traffic.

infosys wrote: »
    There can be no hard and fast rule about driving at a speed below the set speed limit. In certain circumstances driving at 50kph on the motorway could be very reasonable depending on traffic conditions or weather conditions. I have had to like all other drivers in serious weather slow way down. But driving at 50kph on a motor way in good conditions could in my opinion be dangerous driving, if a person is having car trouble they should try and get the car to the next exit and leave the motorway.

Someone with better maths than me may be able to correct my assertion, a car approaching a car travelling at 50kph when the second car is doing 120kph is closing in at about 20 meters per second.

I agree with a lot of this. but in good conditons and driving at 50kph-is it illegal? I understand your opinion about this but if the conditions are good and a guard stops me I would like to ask him:why have you stopped me? Have i broken some speed limint law? What law? Please tell me the law that I have broken Guard, I will pay my fine if I have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

I agree with a lot of this. but in good conditons and driving at 50kph-is it illegal? I understand your opinion about this but if the conditions are good and a guard stops me I would like to ask him:why have you stopped me? Have i broken some speed limint law? What law? Please tell me the law that I have broken Guard, I will pay my fine if I have.

It could depending in the circumstances be inconsiderate driving, careless driving or even dangerous driving. It would be up to a judge to decide depending on the evidence presented by both sides.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/act/pub/0025/sec0069.html

I would believe many people would think driving at 50kph could be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

If you think you're in the way, you probably are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

This has decended in to chaos.

Try coming out of the n4 toll in a not so powerful car. When you experience this using the eazypass lane, like me , its f.?! The seven series wit full beams on, i cant get out of ur way for a minute!

Advertisement