Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some reassurance please!

• 06-09-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

In the last three weeks I have undergone a new healthy regime where I don't have any refined carbs whatsoever, (keep my carb intake to about 130g from fruit, veg and wholegrains/potatoes) have upped my lean protein, and basically have upped my activity to include 5 x 30 minute power walks and then 2 x 15km high intensity bike rides per week. Drinking 2 litres of water a day. I have lost 4.5 inches on my waist and 2.5 on my hips and yet while I quickly lost 3lbs in the first few days it now seems I am putting ON weight while steadily losing inches and it is saying overall I have lost one single solitary miserable and lonely pound since starting this :(. How is this possible? I have read somewhere that if you are building muscle, your body hangs on to water for repair. Is this true? Is it possible to lose fat but not weight? I'm very confused and also disheartened as I'm stepping on the scales like a mad yoke and finding it very demotivating and yet can visibly see that my clothes are becoming really baggy!! If anyone can shed any light on this I would really really appreciate it, thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Scales are not reliable indicators for weight loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You're overly concerned with the number on the scales. Your body shape is changing for the better. Surely that's the more important point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Scales are not reliable indicators for weight loss.

Thanks for coming back to me. Why though? I don't really understand and ultimately that's what I'd be relying on. I know it may sound silly but I just feel it would motivate me and spur me on if I could actually see the results on the scales rather than seeing the number GO UP :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Putting on muscle?
    Those 15k cycles will be using some serious muscle groups, and they're going to want to get bigger and heavier to deal with the stress.

The fat will be lost all over though, at different percentages in different places depending on genetics :-)

Net result: you weigh the same but look way better.

Merkin wrote: »
    Thanks for coming back to me. Why though? I don't really understand and ultimately that's what I'd be relying on. I know it may sound silly but I just feel it would motivate me and spur me on if I could actually see the results on the scales rather than seeing the number GO UP :confused:
    If you just eat less, then you lose fat and the numbers go down. If you do more exercise, you will add some muscle. Adding muscle means adding weight.

It's possible to lose a lot of fat but put on muscle and while you look very lean, you could be heavier than when you were at your heaviest carrying a lot of fat, relatively speaking.

People are too fixated on scales when it comes to turning themselves around. If you look better and your clothes are better, what difference does it make what the scales says?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Stay away from the scales, they wont reflect what is actually happening to your body when you combine it with exercise. How your clothes fit should be your indicator and from what you said all is going well.

If you just eat less, then you lose fat and the numbers go down. If you do more exercise, you will add some muscle. Adding muscle means adding weight.

It's possible to lose a lot of fat but put on muscle and while you look very lean, you could be heavier than when you were at your heaviest carrying a lot of fat, relatively speaking.

People are too fixated on scales when it comes to turning themselves around. If you look better and your clothes are better, what difference does it make what the scales says?

Hey, thanks for coming back to me. It seems like I must be adding muscle then? Is it true that muscle weighs more than fat? I know 1lb muscle = 1lb of fat but it must be muscle takes up less room then maybe?

I fully admit I'm fixated on the scales, I guess we're conditioned to see that as the true indicator rather than anything else? Your response is encouraging, thank you.

Hey, thanks for coming back to me. It seems like I must be adding muscle then? Is it true that muscle weighs more than fat? I know 1lb muscle = 1lb of fat but it must be muscle takes up less room then maybe?

I fully admit I'm fixated on the scales, I guess we're conditioned to see that as the true indicator rather than anything else? Your response is encouraging, thank you.
    Muscle is much more dense so 1kg of muscle is a lot smaller than 1kg of fat.

Thanks all for taking the time, much appreciated x

Muscle is much more dense so 1kg of muscle is a lot smaller than 1kg of fat.

True but muscle doesn't just fly on. Its more likely to be water. Either way its not something to fixate on.

• Advertisement

True but muscle doesn't just fly on. Its more likely to be water. Either way its not something to fixate on.

:eek: Why, could I be retaining fluid? Do muscles need it for repair?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Surely if you're losing inches on your waist and hips that would be enough? For me personally, I don't really mind what the scales says - as long as I'm happy with what I see or at least I can see progress.

Sounds like you're doing good though. Keep it up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hi, I started properly training and eating after Christmas and it took a few weeks where I was uncertain about things before I could see ALL indicators start humming. You've already seen some positive differences, everything else will catch up in time.

Three weeks is a drop in the ocean in terms of the bigger picture. In another six weeks everything will be smiling back at you so long as you stick at it.
    have upped my lean protein, and basically have upped my activity to include 5 x 30 minute power walks and then 2 x 15km high intensity bike rides per week. Drinking 2 litres of water a day. I have lost 4.5 inches on my waist and 2.5 on my hips

This is amazing stuff, well done. Don't worry about the scales just keep the head down doing what you're doing.

Surely if you're losing inches on your waist and hips that would be enough? For me personally, I don't really mind what the scales says - as long as I'm happy with what I see or at least I can see progress.

Sounds like you're doing good though. Keep it up :)

I suppose it's just changing my mindset really. We women tend to be obsessed with scales/BMI readings etc so I guess it is about seeing things a little differently. Maybe I need to just forget about the scales for a week or two as it has been really demotivating!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hi, I started properly training and eating after Christmas and it took a few weeks where I was uncertain about things before I could see ALL indicators start humming. You've already seen some positive differences, everything else will catch up in time.

Three weeks is a drop in the ocean in terms of the bigger picture. In another six weeks everything will be smiling back at you so long as you stick at it.

This is amazing stuff, well done. Don't worry about the scales just keep the head down doing what you're doing.

Thank you so so much. Interesting to hear that I'm not some biological anomaly and that it happens to other people too! I may some back to this thread in a few weeks and hopefully everything will have caught up!

:eek: Why, could I be retaining fluid? Do muscles need it for repair?

Muscles use water alright, if you are exercising then your body will use more water. This is not something you should fixate on, people are mainly water anyway and water fluctuations cause huge disparities in weight. That's why you should weight yourself at the same time every day (in the morning after using teh bathroom for example). Your weight will start to drop and you already have seen inches come off you - thats the important bit.

I didn't say it wasn't. Just making a general point about muscle and fat.

I didn't say it wasn't. Just making a general point about muscle and fat.

I know you didn't :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I suppose it's just changing my mindset really. We women tend to be obsessed with scales/BMI readings etc so I guess it is about seeing things a little differently. Maybe I need to just forget about the scales for a week or two as it has been really demotivating!

I know it's hard but try not to weigh yourself so often. Keep it to once every 2 weeks, maybe even longer. Just don't hop on it every morning while you're in the bathroom :)

I know you didn't :)
    I would have put in a smiley face but I can't bring myself to doing it.

Oh, ok so... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement