Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod request post#5808

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

That wallpaper has to go for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd rather excellent squad depth than one or two great 11 players and the rest ****. I'd much rather what we did this summer than sign Ozil and keep carragher. We lost the battle for 4th last season because our defense was gash, not because we couldn't score. Skrtel **** up vs city at home, Rein'as **** up away, Benteke bullying our defenders at home, Lukaku doing it home and Long doing it away, Jones and Walters bullying us a stoke on boxing day, falling to pieces at Southampton. There are certainly games we could/should have scored in but we were let down by are defence far more than our attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Can't believe we signed Suarez at 11 o clock. Savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Our year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

#ouryear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Shiny new thread.... !! and 7th just like the pool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Lads seriously the 1970s decor???

Grayditch wrote: »
    Can't believe we signed Suarez at 11 o clock. Savage.

All the way from Uruguay too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

All the way from Uruguay too!

2 marquee signings in one window...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

very excited to see moses make his debut against swansea. agger and skrtel played well enough to start so i dont think we will see sakho then

I agree mostly...I think we should never have a world class player for long because look at what is happening with Suarez...no CL and then someone will come knocking. I don't want that every time - thinking how can we replace him, he's cost us 20-30 goals a season.

I must rather a well-driven team of above average players who work well together so that we are never stuck for options if other clubs come calling. I think it makes good marketing sense too which is what the board are all about now.

We just aren't in a position, as much as we'd all love to be, to spend £35 Million on one player, unless Suarez goes. Our crap record at signings up till January should show that, some of us have some notion that we are still in Rafa days, we just need 1 big signing!
    Still no idea what you are trying to say in this post

Yeah, was pretty cryptic! :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    We just aren't in a position, as much as we'd all love to be, to spend £35 Million on one player, unless Suarez goes. Our crap record at signings up till January should show that, some of us have some notion that we are still in Rafa days, we just need 1 big signing!

Yeah, was pretty cryptic! :D

Right and the days of one perfect dream signing are long gone anyway...too much of a risk for us. I don't think BR is that stupid. Look at what happened to Kenny and Roy. BR may be many things but he's no fool.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

It's so shiny and bright the new thread. It burns my eyes!

I have to admit that I do love the free signings and loans...makes it feel like we get something for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Top of the feckin league.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'm at the imposter part of the United thread (8977) , jaysus lads, wow is all I can say lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Net Spend , Net Spend , Net Spend .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Everything's shiny capt'n :)

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I'm at the imposter part of the United thread (8977) , jaysus lads, wow is all I can say lol.

Haven't gone near it in a few days, must be up there with Carroll and Torres day.

• Advertisement

As good an addition Ozil will be the fact remains that Arsenal didn't get Suarez so now have a goal difference of -60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

All in all a pretty tremendous few weeks for LFC.

Top of the league. 9 points. 3 clean sheets.

Ok that means fcuk all right now after 3 games but look at the next 6 league fixtures:

Swansea (A)
    Southampton (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    Palace (H)
    Newcastle (A)
    West Brom (H)

I'm not trying to be overly optimistic or pessimistic but there is a very realistic chance Liverpool will still be top after that period. All of those games fall under the "winnable" column. And in the resilient mood the players/manager are in, i wouldn't bet against a seriously good run right now.

Then you throw in recent transfer dealings:

Suarez - stayed
    Ilori - In
    Sakho - In
    Moses - In
    Borini - Out
    Assaidi - Out

That's a pretty stellar list - nobody can grumble with any of those decisions. All good, all positive.

In terms of other sides:

Man Utd: Butchered transfer window. Kept Rooney. Signed Fellaini. Lost SAF. Lost David Gill. Despite being champions, you'd have to argue they've effectively stood still whilst rivals strengthened.

Arsenal: Ozil. Who lets face it is basically sex on a football pitch. He's different gravy. The problems for them begin if Giroud gets injured. It'll be all peachy for a while though they will steamroller teams with that existing first XI + magic mesut.

Spurs: Bale out, plenty in. But they'll take time to gel too. Pretty rigid, unimaginative performances in all 3 games and couldnt breach the Gunners defence. Expect them to really come good later in season though.

City: New coach, some top signings, some dead wood cleared out. But again work in progress integrating and honestly not only did Cardiff beat them but Hull absolutely mullered them for an hour without scoring.

Chelsea: Spin it any which way, they made their key signing with Mourinho. Willian and the rest are bonuses. They'll be right up there.

In truth, the more you look at it, the more you see 5 sides who could contend for honours this year. Confidence is a huge thing in football and the fixture list has panned out in a way that Liverpool may well be top or in the top 2 after 9 games and that is infectious.

At the end of last season i would have argued Liverpool for 5th at best. But Rodgers is really starting to show his pedigree now i see no reason why this season can't be an insanely positive one for the club. That means going into Xmas and well into February still contending in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I hope to see plenty more of this over the next 35 premier league games .

tumblr_mlxp3aJ7dK1qa3nkxo1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

As good an addition Ozil will be the fact remains that Arsenal didn't get Suarez so now have a goal difference of -60.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'll be very surprised if we beat Swansea away tbh. I also never enjoy playin Sunderland away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Probable starting XI when Rodgers got the job.
    Reina

Johnson--Skrtel--Agger--Enrique

Lucas

Gerrard--Adam

Downing--Suarez--Maxi

Carroll

Now you can look at the transfers and sub in and out the players for the starting XI when window closes.

In: Allen, Assaidi, Borini and Sahin.

Out: Aurelio, Maxi, Kuyt, Bellamy, Aqualani, Carroll, Spearing.

By January:

In: Sturridge, Coutinho

Out: Cole

A lot of argument on here about whether or not the squad was strengthened or weakened last summer, but by the end of the year there was no doubt that we were much better off.

Got rid of much of the dead weight and had signed promising players in January and things starting to gel.

Personally, I think we've improved the squad and starting XI more in this window than we have done in a hell of a long time. Ground work was done in the last two, and we continued shifting out the bad value players such as Downing this summer and getting the right style of player in.

Starting XI has come on a fair bit since when Rodgers took over. Think its fair to say there was a lot of misconception with regards to players ability on paper and actual ability on the pitch. Thankfully, Rodgers seems to be adept at spotting this and is quick to replace the culprits. Skrtel, Reina, Downing and Carroll have all seen this to varying extents.
    We've a better mentality too because of it. Bringing in the likes of Toure and Mignolet helps that, and we are seemingly a lot more consistent. Lets hope that upward trend continues.
    Mignolet

Johnson--Toure--Sakho--Enrique

Lucas--Gerrard

Coutinho

Suarez--Sturridge--Moses

I know I didn't post any subs in the above formations, but goes without saying we have a far stronger bench now than what we have had in some time, maybe predating Rafa.

We also have a very, very young squad and have bought strongly with a view to the future in the vast majority of our players. Only Toure & Aspas have come in under Rodgers that will be over 30 in in 5 years.

FSG have, in fairness to them, helped steady the sinking ship that we were and build a solid platform to progress from.

What we need now is to see further investment in January (DM/CM please!), and to see a top WF to come in next summer.

I think we're not massively behind the likes of Spurs and Arsenal now after the last few windows, but we do have some way to go, being realistic. As I said in an earlier post, some hard work and a bit of luck and come January we will be still in with a shout of CL and can add a signing or two to push us on.

Post is long and a bit all over the place, so my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

I'll be very surprised if we beat Swansea away tbh. I also never enjoy playin Sunderland away.

suarez will be back for sunderland though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I love new threads me

102402.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

swanseas home league form has been pretty poor, not only the spanking Man U dished out, wasn't fantastic at the end of last season either.

It also cant be overstated how bad sunderland have been lately under diCanio. Absolute manure.

I seriously see 6 points there.

More to the point this Liverpool side with the confidence they have right now, probably see 6 points there too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement