Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are back extensions bad for you?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

I went to get a Thai massage last weekend, and while I was lying on my front she grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me into a massive back extension. Ive been in bits for the past week since this episode.

Ive had pain before from back extensions, injured myself a couple of times in yoga doing back extensions, and my physio told me that Im just somebody who cant do back extensions. Good to know.

The thai massuese gave me zero notice before reefing me into a huge back extension, and I was fcuking raging afterwards. I still am. Going to get a massage and then coming out in way more pain than when I went in, and then having to fork out for more physio as a result. Im still bitter, and in pain.

So whats the deal with back extensions? Are they bad? Are there others who cant handle them?

Any info / feedback appreciated.

im not looking for medical advice for my specific situation, just wondering about back extensions in general.

Thanks.

And there was no happy ending.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

I think I can safely say that being bent like a banana unexpectedly is definitely BAD for you.

Good luck with your recovery.

p.s you need to re title this thread...it should be...is unexpected hyperextension of the spine bad for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

is unexpected hyperextension of the spine bad for you :)

Is it? :confused:

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Is it? :confused:
    Just off the top of my head...I think I can safely say that unexpected hyperextension of the spine is definitely bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭COH

Controlled lumbar extension ist bad in itself in the way that chatting up a stranger is not bad in itself... using the same analogy explosive surprise hyperextension would be akin to throwing that same stranger into the back of your van and raping them. Not cool guys, not cool.

COH wrote: »
    ...explosive surprise hypertension...
    Isn't that what you get after your meat based pizza?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Isn't that what you get after your meat based pizza?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jimmyRotator

thanks for the responses.

Ok so evidently a surprise back extension is not a good thing, but what about the previous occassions I have injured myself in yoga class by leaning back into a back extension, which was gradual and not a surprise?

It seems i cant handle them at all.

thanks for the responses.

Ok so evidently a surprise back extension is not a good thing, but what about the previous occassions I have injured myself in yoga class by leaning back into a back extension, which was gradual and not a surprise?

It seems i cant handle them at all.
    Sorry for making light of your injury.

In all seriousness...yes, some people will be more prone to injury in specific areas of their body.

You obviously have poor lumbar mobility...that could be function or purely osteological.

If it is the latter...there's nothing you can do about it. If it's the former you can definitely improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

I went to get a Thai massage last weekend, and while I was lying on my front she grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me into a massive back extension. Ive been in bits for the past week since this episode.

Ive had pain before from back extensions, injured myself a couple of times in yoga doing back extensions, and my physio told me that Im just somebody who cant do back extensions. Good to know.

The thai massuese gave me zero notice before reefing me into a huge back extension, and I was fcuking raging afterwards. I still am. Going to get a massage and then coming out in way more pain than when I went in, and then having to fork out for more physio as a result. Im still bitter, and in pain.

So whats the deal with back extensions? Are they bad? Are there others who cant handle them?

Any info / feedback appreciated.

im not looking for medical advice for my specific situation, just wondering about back extensions in general.

Thanks.

And there was no happy ending.

In too much pain even for a happy ending ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jimmyRotator

dor843088 wrote: »
    In too much pain even for a happy ending ?

after what she did to my back i couldnt possibly let her near my dick, as i'd imagine my dick is even less tolerant to surprise hyper-extensions than my back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement