Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV - Lies upon Lies Upon Lies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Sorry if this comes across judgmental, but if you have cash flow problems should you really be shelling out out so much a month for something non essential. Cant you move to saorview or even freesat. Upfront cost only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭RoboRat

OP, am I right in saying that you were PRE-PAYING for the service. If so, I cant understand how you are in arrears if they cancelled when the PRE-PAYMENT didn't go through. If this is the case, why are they getting a debt agency after you and why did you pay a debt agency? I would just cancel and if they ring you, which they will, then tell them you beef and how disappointed you were and you will probably get a better deal.. if you wish to reconnect.

In saying all that, there are a few things that you need to address. If the only reason you have sky is for the Disney channel to keep a child happy, then IMO you need to look seriously at that issue. If you are struggling to pay this or other bills then you need to be sensible and sit down and work out what is a necessity and what isn't... living from hand to mouth from one end of the month to the next is extremely stressful and you should do anything you can to address this... believe me, I know and I have cut away the ****e and its has helped me a lot. Your child may be annoyed for a while but she will get over it.

Parents and kids are too focussed in 'keeping up with the Jones' and it leads to families being put under unnecessary financial pressure. I am an 80's child and grew up with hand-me-downs, non branded clothes, basic but homely food and small presents and it did me no harm. Parents need to say NO if its non essential and put the greater picture in perspective.

Just my 2 cents anyhow. Hope you get it all sorted OP and have a good Christmas, I hate to see families struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Thanks for the feedback and the opinion from the last two posters. I appreciate the advice and don't think that's being judgemental at all.

@Jimsalterago - As non essential as it is, to get seorview I will have to either buy a new dish/aerial and get a seorview box. I know that's a once off payment, but it would be quite a bit. Also, my partner is home alone 5 nights a week as I work evenings and she does really want the sky in and I understand how bored and really lonely sitting in every night on your tot can be.

@ Roborat - Yes, with sky you prepay for the month, I was cut off 5 days into September and they then proceed to charge for the entire month. This was what I felt was so unreasonable and why I was so pissed off myself. However they try to say that if you are disconnecting you have to pay a months notice. I could accept this if I was the one who chose to disconnect, but they cut me off for not setting up a DD as I would have happily paid that month on my Debit card.

I fully understand what you are saying about keeping things tight, and believe me, as the youngest of 6 children and again a child of the 80's I was no stranger to hand me downs and tough times myself. My kids are no different, we live pretty frugal lives, we've never been able to afford to bring the kids on a foreign holiday, I drive a 14 year old banger, we rarely eat out, and we have a great community of people around us with friends and family that all swap and pass on old clothes, toys and the likes.

The sky is one of the few luxuries that we allow ourselves along with broadband (although I think that's an essential), my kids are certainly not spoilt with material possessions but they do enjoy watching their programs on out old chunky TV that my sister gave me when she bought a new one.

PS, thanks and happy Christmas to you guys too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Jayop you have my sympathies, i've been on the unreasonable end of sky as well after changing dd details they tried to take money from an old account which obviously failed and without notifying me suspended my services. This went on for months with me phoning them up and giving them new details and the system resetting to the old details and them suspending my services.

I eventually got fed up and refused to make any more payments on my card as i was being charged by my bank for that and failed dds, i was without Sky for a couple of weeks and eventually found email addresses for CEO, Managing Director and somebody else high up who i can't remember, within the day my email was forwarded onto somebody else who emailed asking for permission to call me. I answered yes and was surprised to get a call back immediately as it was Easter Sunday, i explained the problem refused to make another card payment but agreed to make a double payment on next dd. My Sky was back on within minutes.

I have to give the final guy i spoke to credit he was very good and also arranged a refund for time i was without the service, but their customer service in general leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭RoboRat

@ Roborat - Yes, with sky you prepay for the month, I was cut off 5 days into September and they then proceed to charge for the entire month. This was what I felt was so unreasonable and why I was so pissed off myself. However they try to say that if you are disconnecting you have to pay a months notice. I could accept this if I was the one who chose to disconnect, but they cut me off for not setting up a DD as I would have happily paid that month on my Debit card.

OK, so your pre-payment was due on the 1st of the month, you missed it and they cut you off on the 5th. They then got a debt collection agency after you looking for a months payment? I would pay for the 5 days and no more.

I am assuming that 7 years ago you signed up on a contract for probably a year? If so, then the notice of cancelation has expired unless its written in the original contract that if you don't cancel you are on a rolling contract with specific terms for cancelation.

If all of the above is correct then I would be annoyed with Sky but I tend to think its best not to get shirty when trying to resolve a situation, especially when you originally missed the payment date. Sky like most, want people on DD as it probably costs them a fair bit in following up, disconnecting, reconnecting and so forth, so they are trying to tighten things up. Its their businesses so either do it their way or go elsewhere. Might be an idea to ring up, talk to someone and explain the situation and why you feel aggrieved in a friendly manner... even if its just a quick call to request a call back so it wont cost much.

• Advertisement

RoboRat wrote: »
    OK, so your pre-payment was due on the 1st of the month, you missed it and they cut you off on the 5th. They then got a debt collection agency after you looking for a months payment? I would pay for the 5 days and no more.

I am assuming that 7 years ago you signed up on a contract for probably a year? If so, then the notice of cancelation has expired unless its written in the original contract that if you don't cancel you are on a rolling contract with specific terms for cancelation.

If all of the above is correct then I would be annoyed with Sky but I tend to think its best not to get shirty when trying to resolve a situation, especially when you originally missed the payment date. Sky like most, want people on DD as it probably costs them a fair bit in following up, disconnecting, reconnecting and so forth, so they are trying to tighten things up. Its their businesses so either do it their way or go elsewhere. Might be an idea to ring up, talk to someone and explain the situation and why you feel aggrieved in a friendly manner... even if its just a quick call to request a call back so it wont cost much.

I have it resolved now. Paying the 5 days wasn't an option, and I felt I had to pay the month as the Debt collection agency kept calling (phone) when I wasn't there and frightening my wife, and threatening to come to the door to recover monies.

I (almost) always try to remain calm when dealing with people from these companies, but Sky just drive me crazy with every time you speak to a different person they tell you something else. I was 'shirty' with that rep on the online service that day as I knew once he mentioned DD he's keep on down that line even though when I challenged him to show me where it was a part of my T&C's he couldn't. No amount of being friendly and nice to these people helps when they decide not to help you.

For example the resolution I was offered this week to prove that I had paid the debt collection agency. She said she would email me and I should reply with my bank statement to show the payment.

a) A couple of days later and I still haven't got the email I was promised immediately.
    b) How would I have a bank statement from a transaction a week ago??

They are just an incredibly frustrating company to deal with and if I had a real alternative such as cable I would be gone like a shot. Hopefully proper online TV becomes a reality soon and we can get away from the likes of sky once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Jayop wrote: »
    I really do think a law was passed outlawing that practice but I can't find evidence of it online, so it may be a false memory. It's certainly not in the T&C's at sky as I asked the guy several times to sow me where and he couldn't while at the same time I was looking on there website and it doesn't mention it.

The Consumer protection act would have outlawed it but the relevant sections were not enacted as they are incompatible with EU law.
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2008/04/30/00011.asp

So in short, charging a fee for not paying by DD is perfectly legal once they are up front about it.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The Consumer protection act would have outlawed it but the relevant sections were not enacted as they are incompatible with EU law.
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2008/04/30/00011.asp

So in short, charging a fee for not paying by DD is perfectly legal once they are up front about it.

Thanks for clarifying that part. I knew I wasn't imagining there was something about it.

What about insisting that someone set up a direct debit regardless of fees?

As in have DD as the only form of payment? Why not, that's their choice. They can insist on payment in jelly beans if they choose, so long as they've set out their terms in advance. You have a choice of accept those terms and sign up to the contract or reject the terms and not enter the contract.

OK, With a 7 year old contract I don't have the original T&C's but I was looking at their online conditions prior to signing up. He doesn't anywhere say it's in the T&C's despite me asking many times, but merely replies by saying it's their policy, which my understanding of it is quite different to an actual signed contract with laid out conditions.

I was fully convinced that the government passed a bill that prevented companies insisting on DD as the only form of payment. Wrong again then. :(

• Advertisement

I would be inclined to agree with you that DD is merely their policy as it's unlikely your contract limits payment to DD only. I'm inclined to think the Sky guy simply didn't know or understand the options, or didn't understand if their billing system allowed you switch to non DD on an ad-hoc basis.

Their current website states "subscription" but doesn't insist on DD. Some of their prices they advertise are based on DD only, but that just means you avoid their surcharge.

Anyway glad it's all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

OK, With a 7 year old contract I don't have the original T&C's but I was looking at their online conditions prior to signing up. He doesn't anywhere say it's in the T&C's despite me asking many times, but merely replies by saying it's their policy, which my understanding of it is quite different to an actual signed contract with laid out conditions.

I was fully convinced that the government passed a bill that prevented companies insisting on DD as the only form of payment. Wrong again then. :(

I could be proven wrong on this, but your old terms and conditions, whatever they may be, are void. Normally when companies like this change their terms and conditions, they apply them to all customers. Any customer who disagrees or doesn't accept can cancel their account at no charge - all they have to do is publicly announce it - normally in some obscure part of their website or in a national paper. By using the service after 30 days of the notification have expired, you are assumed to have agreed to them. It doesn't matter if you didn't know or didn't see the notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

like i said earlier get a freesat box about 50 quid one off payment,you use your existing dish so no further outlay there.
    so with....
    BBC1,2,3,4
    ITV1,2,3,4
    channel 4, E4, more4, s4c, Film 4
    channel 5
    5*
    5 USA
    CBS drama, CBS reality, CBS action
    Pick tv
    Challenge
    12 news channels
    14 music channels
    7 kids channels
    and numerous other channels
    you reckon there is nothing for the missus & kids to watch?

plus even if you had to buy a saorview box (40-50) and aerial if you even need a new one, less than 6 months sky will pay for that sky are robbing c*nts always have been especially when you compare the likes of box office events between here & UK (prices) I can remember paying for a fight years ago cant remember the price probably 20 punts or 10 sterling, what an exchange rate, i asked them to justify how it was dearer to get the fight to my house in the republic from the satellite in space as opposed to an address in uk,the day i could get freesat was the day i got rid of sky forever.

Did you have a Sky+ box when you switched to freesat?

I have an old freeview box here, but the new sky+ dish brings 2 cables down into the house and I can't get it wired in right. Maybe if I get my hands on an old LMB I could run a wire in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Did you have a Sky+ box when you switched to freesat?

I have an old freeview box here, but the new sky+ dish brings 2 cables down into the house and I can't get it wired in right. Maybe if I get my hands on an old LMB I could run a wire in.

the lnb is probably a quad lnb anyway, have a look if nit then they are 20 to buy

Cool, cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Sorry Jayop was having a bad day... Your right it is a balls the way sky work if ya forget to pay..

Hope it's all sorted

otto_26 wrote: »
    Sorry Jayop was having a bad day... Your right it is a balls the way sky work if ya forget to pay..

Hope it's all sorted

Cool, Sorry I got a bit sh1tty with you too!! It happens, but takes bigger people to get over it!

Advertisement