Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandon Square, Waterville

Options
  • 17-01-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have just viewed a house in Brandon Square Waterville. It appears to be a good construction and also a quiet area. However, not having lived in the area, we are not certain about security concerns and other issues. Would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

worldview wrote: »
    I have just viewed a house in Brandon Square Waterville. It appears to be a good construction and also a quiet area. However, not having lived in the area, we are not certain about security concerns and other issues. Would appreciate any advice.

I've lived in Waterville for eleven years now and love it. Very little crime, though no area is immune. There are several other threads on here about Waterville if you do a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cquinnie

I would seriously ask you to consider other areas. I lived in an apartment in Waterville Terrace for 6 months and it was not an experience I would ever want to revisit.

Cquinnie wrote: »
    I would seriously ask you to consider other areas. I lived in an apartment in Waterville Terrace for 6 months and it was not an experience I would ever want to revisit.

Waterville terrace is not typical of Waterville, it was built by a different builder and in a different style to the other clusters. The same goes for Skelligs Court. You could not pay me to live in either of those.

The rest of Waterville (including Brandon Square) was built by another builder, the same for all of it, in the same style and are much more pleasant places to live. I'm here 11 years (as previously mentioned) and am quite a sensitive soul, if there were problems I'd be long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

athtrasna wrote: »
    Waterville terrace is not typical of Waterville, it was built by a different builder and in a different style to the other clusters. The same goes for Skelligs Court. You could not pay me to live in either of those.

The rest of Waterville (including Brandon Square) was built by another builder, the same for all of it, in the same style and are much more pleasant places to live. I'm here 11 years (as previously mentioned) and am quite a sensitive soul, if there were problems I'd be long gone

I lived in waterville hall for 7 years and have tenants in the apartment now without any issues and they adore the place. Can you elaborate on the differences between the clusters as you have been making this point in every thread on waterville.

Your imo attempting to turn people off certain clusters in this complex without good reason.

I lived in waterville hall for 7 years and have tenants in the apartment now without any issues and they adore the place. Can you elaborate on the differences between the clusters as you have been making this point in every thread on waterville.

Your imo attempting to turn people off certain clusters in this complex without good reason.

Build quality, density of development, financial state of management company, involvement of directors of management company, management agent,common area maintenance, owner/tenant ratio, anti social behaviour...All of these vary widely across Waterville

• Advertisement

One of the girls working in the Hospital was sharing an apartment in Annagh Court in Waterville and was of the same opinion to me and moved to Phoenix park racecourse after 3 months.

Maybe it has changed in the last few years!!

One of the girls working in the Hospital was sharing an apartment in Annagh Court in Waterville and was of the same opinion to me and moved to Phoenix park racecourse after 3 months.

Maybe it has changed in the last few years!!

Im not doubting they had a bad experience and im only interested as ive lived in waterville hall and have tenants that cant say enough good things about my particular block.

Build quality, density of development, financial state of management company, involvement of directors of management company, management agent,common area maintenance, owner/tenant ratio, anti social behaviour...All of these vary widely across Waterville

I can only speak from my own experience and imo the waterville hall block is well maintained with all financials clearly communicated and the management company have always been on the ball when ive contacted them. In 7 years i encountered practically no anti social behaviour apart from one of the units being broken into (which was strange in itself as the tenants were moving out that week and had a large sum of cash taken).

When we put the apartment up for rent we had a line of people trying to get it, all with references and at one point they were offering over the asking rent so the reputation cant be as bad as your inferring.

The tenants we have for the last 2 years cannot say enough good things about the block.

Its imo a little unfair to come out with blanket statements about entire areas of waterville without some sort of evidence to back it up.

Have lived beside it for years, have seen and heard plenty. Our management company had to threaten to sue one of the WT management companies to get one particular issue solved. Have lots of noise issues seeing as the back of our block backs on to WT and noise travels. Both of the anti social and party types as well as the two years when the glass recycling bins were emptied at 5am on a Wednesday.

Have lived beside it for years, have seen and heard plenty. Our management company had to threaten to sue one of the WT management companies to get one particular issue solved. Have lots of noise issues seeing as the back of our block backs on to WT and noise travels. Both of the anti social and party types as well as the two years when the glass recycling bins were emptied at 5am on a Wednesday.

With all due respect this covers very little of what you claimed are reasons why people should not rent in waterville. Any chance you could back up some of the other reasons you listed?.

• Advertisement

With all due respect this covers very little of what you claimed are reasons why people should not rent in waterville. Any chance you could back up some of the other reasons you listed?.

This thread is not about us and I never said all of those apply to WT. Some do. I have gave you some specific examples to my experience with WT. The original person who criticised WT have gave none. If you want me to state the obvious, Waterville Terrace is the most densely developed part of Waterville and that's something that would put me off but seeing as the OP is looking at Brandon Square that's not an issue for them.

Waterville has a lot to offer, it's close to public transport, the shopping centre, the NAC, the hospital, ITB and a multitude of business parks. Hope this helps OP :)

In fairness, I think Waterville is Waterville, trying to differentiate between little sections of it and that sections merits or downfalls is splitting hairs.
    Hope my 2 cents helps also!!

In fairness, I think Waterville is Waterville, trying to differentiate between little sections of it and that sections merits or downfalls is splitting hairs.
    Hope my 2 cents helps also!!

You're very wrong there. A look at property prices across Waterville illustrates this. One particular cluster is very cheap, and for many reasons, build quality and maintenance being the primary one. Waterville was built by a number of different builders and in a number of different styles. They are far from all being the same.

Location within the site is another issue. In the case of the OP Brandon Square is well in from the road so will have a different feel from say Tory square which borders the Snugborough Road.

Maybe so from the inside looking out, but from the outside looking in it's viewed as all the one from my time in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'd agree. I live in Garnish Square and love it. Wouldn't live elsewhere. Brandon Square looks lovely!

This thread is not about us and I never said all of those apply to WT. Some do. I have gave you some specific examples to my experience with WT. The original person who criticised WT have gave none. If you want me to state the obvious, Waterville Terrace is the most densely developed part of Waterville and that's something that would put me off but seeing as the OP is looking at Brandon Square that's not an issue for them.

Waterville has a lot to offer, it's close to public transport, the shopping centre, the NAC, the hospital, ITB and a multitude of business parks. Hope this helps OP :)

So you basically cant back up your list, im not being funny and dont want to derail the thread any longer but your reasons appear to be purely personal and stem from the noise travelling between the blocks and this annoys you.

Ive seen you throw statements out in other threads on the area and your clearly biased what with being involved in the management committee of your particular block and its not fair that your frankly unfounded assertions go unchallenged.

Its totally fair to criticise things but your "list" of reasons is out of line as you cant possibly back it up.

So you basically cant back up your list, im not being funny and dont want to derail the thread any longer but your reasons appear to be purely personal and stem from the noise travelling between the blocks and this annoys you.

Ive seen you throw statements out in other threads on the area and your clearly biased what with being involved in the management committee of your particular block and its not fair that your frankly unfounded assertions go unchallenged.

Its totally fair to criticise things but your "list" of reasons is out of line as you cant possibly back it up.

I refuse to further derail this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

down-with-this-sort-of-thing.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK, only useful responses to the OPs question from now on please

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kellygav

I have now lived in Brandon Square for 3 months and find the whole place a very quiet and friendly place to live.

The houses are really big and of really good quality as you would have seen in the show house, I wouldn't expect many of the houses are left to be honest, but I still see a few people turning up on the weekends to see the show house.

If you want any specific info then please feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭phoenix49

What are the odds that scums will get into Brandon Square area? I've heard horror stories about Corduff area, is that right? Given that Corduff is relatively close to Br sq.

phoenix49 wrote: »
    What are the odds that scums will get into Brandon Square area? I've heard horror stories about Corduff area, is that right? Given that Corduff is relatively close to Br sq.

Nil to non existent really. Waterville is quite safe and in 11 years we've had very few incidents of troublesome visitors, relatively speaking.

Every "good area" is a stones throw from a "bad area". Waterville is no different. It doesn't automatically mean trouble will come visiting.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've lived in a number of parts of Dublin that have been beside "less desirable" areas, including where I grew up which was bounded on three sides by areas that could be described as being populated by "scums", as you so elegantly call them. Never had an ounce of trouble in any of them. Just because there's an area with a poor reputation beside an area with a better one, it doesn't mean that there'll be marauding hordes of troublemakers making their way towards the better area like some sort of zombie apocalypse.

Thanks for your answers! I was even thinking of paying an evening visit to that area and surroundings just to have an idea. Also how do you guys commute to city centre? 38 seems to be really good but how long does it take to get into Baggot st. area? 40-45 mins? Another option id to get a train from Castleknock st. to Pearse, however I might need a foldable bike, not a fan of leaving a bike at a station. What's the walking distance to station, like 20 mins or so? I'm a fast walker.

Thanks for your answers! I was even thinking of paying an evening visit to that area and surroundings just to have an idea. Also how do you guys commute to city centre? 38 seems to be really good but how long does it take to get into Baggot st. area? 40-45 mins? Another option id to get a train from Castleknock st. to Pearse, however I might need a foldable bike, not a fan of leaving a bike at a station. What's the walking distance to station, like 20 mins or so? I'm a fast walker.

Train not really an option IMO. I did it for about six months. Walk is 25 minutes at pace then you get to the station, cram on to a packed train which invariably gets delayed at Drumcondra or Connolly. Get the 38b and it has a lot of bus lanes most of the way into town, usually gets in much faster than it gets out though, no bus lane outbound on Navan Road until Phoenix Park racecourse

What about driving into the city? M50-N4 shouldn't be busy in mornings, what about other options? Navan or through Castleknock and Chapelizod or through Phoenix park? Also, any good pubs around? :)

What about driving into the city? M50-N4 shouldn't be busy in mornings, what about other options? Navan or through Castleknock and Chapelizod or through Phoenix park? Also, any good pubs around? :)

M50-N4 is about the worst route possible! M50 Southbound is a car park these days. Castleknock to Chapelizod not a great route from Waterville either. Navan Road/Park/Blackhorse Avenue tend to be the better routes or Ballycoolin to the Ratoath Road and down to Phibsborough from there.

Usually 30 minutes to the quays and another 30 minutes to Baggot Street. Phibsborough to Gardiner Street to cross the river at the Custom House takes about the same.

I do it five days a week, driving. I have free parking in work so it averages cheaper than the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If you want a direct bus, the 39a from Blanch Centre (TK Maxx side) will bring you to Baggot street (~45mins). Walking from Waterville will take you about 15mins to the centre though or drive and find parking in one of the car parks that don't close.

Actually all 38s and 39s stop just near my office, which is very handy. And I think 45 mins is not too bad vs 25 mins of cycling now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 romuse

Hi Guys,
    I will be moving to brandon square too and I was wondering if someone could advice on the vodafone network on Brandon square...my experience so far when visiting the area is no network to very low signal....anyone having an issue with Vodafone on Brandon square?

Advertisement