Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another week another Pit Bull attack

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

starlings wrote: »
    you were being so reasonable up till the last sentence. The thread was started about an attack that caused serious injury, and follows one from last week about a girl who died after suffering an attack by several dogs.

it's an over-reaction in both cases, but to dismiss where it's coming from isn't helping much. As far as I can see there is a consensus on the need for better, enforced controls on dog ownership. But no, why do that when we can spend all night splitting hairs about breed types and sniping at anyone who disagrees about lovely Fido.

The amount of sympathy and empathy for the 'poor dogs' on this thread also far outweighs any sympathy expressed for the actual victim of the attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The amount of sympathy and empathy for the 'poor dogs' on this thread also far outweighs any sympathy expressed for the actual victim of the attack.

The OP never asked for sympathy for the child, he just went on a knee jerk rant and called for the culling of an entire breed of dog.

The entire thread, including your post lacks any sympathy for the victim because thats not what the thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

And how do you do that?.

Responsible owners of any breed are the one's who socialize their dogs, license them, get their regular health checks done and act in a responsible manner.

Do you think Anto, Pado, John'er & Deano hanging around the shops and fields give a tuppenny's fook about any of that?.

well now, this is the right question, IMO, not whether a particular dog breed is more aggressive than another.

Anyone adopting a dog from the shelter near me gets a home visit to make sure they have the right amount of space, and a chat to see if they know what they're doing. If not, no dog.

We have dog wardens who could do the same thing as part of the application for licenses. They should be following up on the lads hanging around the shops and fields, but they're not. I have no idea how they plan to enforce the new microchipping laws, but it will provide a good database.

I don't think Anto & co. care, but you and the other responsible dog owners do - especially when there's a call to ban the breeds you love - so I would support any efforts made by responsible owners to enforce controls and to share their expertise in further legislation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Wow what a bunch of absolute cretins in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

You can argue in favour of the pitbull till your blue in the face, but the facts are that this breed is responsible for the most human fatalities than any other breed, killing nearly double the amount of the rottweiler who comes second on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

As far as i know more humans have killed other humans than dogs have. I think there should be a ban on humans. you never know what they are capable of. The sooner the better our species is extinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

They shouldn't be banned, that's too extreme. They haven't killed that many kids yet. How about rebranding them, that's worked twice now with FAS. There's no reason why it can't be applied to a wide varying degree of world problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Melion wrote: »
    Wow what a bunch of absolute cretins in this thread

that's really helpful, thanks.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    You can argue in favour of the pitbull till your blue in the face, but the facts are that this breed is responsible for the most human fatalities than any other breed, killing nearly double the amount of the rottweiler who comes second on the list.

Should I tell my 3yr old that we are putting her dog to sleep because she is too dangerous simply because she is a staffie? That she can no longer cuddle beside her, can no longer take her for walks, can't feed or play with her anymore just because of a few clueless idiots with no experience of the breed say so?

starlings wrote: »
    that's really helpful, thanks.

About as helpful as people saying to exterminate an entire breed of dog because of a small few incidents.

• Advertisement

Should I tell my 3yr old that we are putting her dog to sleep because she is too dangerous simply because she is a staffie? That she can no longer cuddle beside her, can no longer take her for walks, can't feed or play with her anymore just because of a few clueless idiots with no experience of the breed say so?

I never said that they should be put asleep :confused:

I never said that they should be put asleep :confused:

The op wants the breed exterminated

The op wants the breed exterminated

I can see why people are calling for that but I wouldnt go that far myself, maybe they should have there sharpest teeth extracted when there fully matured if they are to be kept as a pet as I do believe this would lesson the injuries inflicted on a person or dog if they were to attack.

I can see why people are calling for that but I wouldnt go that far myself, maybe they should have there sharpest teeth extracted when there fully matured if they are to be kept as a pet as I do believe this would lesson the injuries inflicted on a person or dog if they were to attack.

Ridiculous

Ridiculous

What would you suggest so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I wouldn't be one of those hysterical types that thinks all such dogs are killers (I know responsible owners with so called restricted breeds) but I think the amount of smug blame the owners types that sarcastically derail these threads are a little disingenuous for dodging the issue.

It's analogous to any rational discussion on speed control on roads being hijacked by smug drivers who are always at pains to assert that they are superior drivers therefore discussion of speed limits are an irrelevance.

Obviously these kind of dogs are grand when properly trained and bred but the fact is that many of them are not and they are more physically equipped than a lot of other breeds to be severely dangerous animals.

Fact is that it's not really about good or bad owners - no more than road fatalities being disproportionately clustered around certain demographics is about who is a good or bad driver: it's about the fact that accidents are happening and is your right to own a certain size of a dog (or to drive at a certain speed) more important that dodging the thorny issue of enforcing training, restrictions and whatnot.

What would you suggest so?

Responsibility on the part of the owners!!!! It's not rocket science, I have a staffie and a boxer(2 bitches) , have never had a single incident between them. I have a 3yr old daughter who has never been bitten by either of my dogs. She gets bitten on a near daily basis by the Westie in her grandmothers house.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    You should be fúcking muzzled in public.

banned

That was a ruff read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement