Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

I'm going to stick my nose out and say Carter for the Championship this year :P

Tuesdays lineup

10am
    QF1 Stephen Hendry v Stephen Maguire
    QF4 Ryan Day v Matthew Stevens

2.30pm
    QF2 Jamie Jones v Ali Carter
    QF3 Ronnie O'Sullivan v Neil Robertson

7pm
    QF1 Stephen Hendry v Stephen Maguire
    QF4 Ryan Day v Matthew Stevens

Hendry vs Maguire will be interesting. If Hendry keeps his consistantsy going against Maguire I see him winning by a decent margin. Then again in the last few years you never know what you're gonna get so lets see what happens. Day vs Stephens is probably the weakest QF this year. Stephens hasn't played at his best yet and although Day was impressive in the first round, his last 16 match left a lot to be desired, although his fight to the finish was impressive.

Jones vs Carter will be impressive. Both might be slightly drained after crawling across the finish line tonight. Jones safety play will be need to be upped if he wants a good session. Ronnie vs Robertson... well what can we say! Ronnie has been in awesome form so far, if he keeps it going he'll keep Robertson well under wraps and might keep him under wraps for the session! Robertsons no slouch though, I reckon it will be a big tactical session with safety play determining the outcome of it.

Good summary

Day 11 and here's the day schedule of play

10am
    QF1 Stephen Hendry v Stephen Maguire
    QF4 Ryan Day v Matthew Stevens

2.30pm
    QF2 Jamie Jones v Ali Carter
    QF3 Ronnie O'Sullivan v Neil Robertson

7pm
    QF1 Stephen Hendry v Stephen Maguire
    QF4 Ryan Day v Matthew Stevens

First day of the quater finals and some interesting line ups.

Can Hendry continue his run in this championships? Well the winner of his match with Maguire will play Carter or Jones, honestly whoever wins Hendry's match i can not see them beating the winner of Jones or Carter.
    I mentioned earlier that Carter has come into this tournament relatively fresh and after his win against Trump i have to fancy him to prevail against Jones.
    Carter i feel may come through the top half of the draw and reach his second world final.

Day v Stevens? Well i'm going to back Stevens, he has the temprament, the experience and the scoring ability to beat Day, it will be close, but i'll punt 13-9 Stevens.

Finally the match that is worthy of the final itself, i've backed Robertson heavily and my only doubt with him winning the title again was what type of O'Sullivan will show up? Well it seems that the snooker loving, content with life O'Sullivan has shown up and to be honest once he's here there is not a player on the planet who can match him.
    O'Sullivan in this frame of mind and form will beat anybody.

In lieu of this i've rescheduled my return to the Cruicble on Thursday and not Saturday as planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

How about the luck that Carter got being so close to giving away a free ball in the last frame? I think every player gets a lot of luck when there are 25 games played.
    I do think it's a bit immature of Carter the way he went on for a player with so much experience, and also the way Ebdon kissed him live on TV, could he not have done it off camera?
    Trump seems to have matured as a person, maybe not fully as a player but getting there, and it will come with more experience.
    By the way I was a neutral when watching this truly exciting game.

Anyways that's my rant, let the games continue!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATxwZ26sZkE&feature=relmfu

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

zack01 wrote: »
    In lieu of this i've rescheduled my return to the Cruicble on Thursday and not Saturday as planned.

Excellent. Was it difficult to get tickets or did you use your 'contacts...;)

Excellent. Was it difficult to get tickets or did you use your 'contacts...;)

Spend my days in the press room or players lounge when I'm there, couldn't sit in the arena and watch it, always moving about !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Good post, could'nt agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JBarnes1986

Still sticking with my original prediction of a Maguire vs O'Sullivan final.,

2-0 Maguire and i know it's early days but Hendry so far has been awful, Maguire looking very strong, Hendry will need to stay with him.

Day 2-1 up on Stevens with back to back tons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

2-0 Maguire and i know it's early days but Hendry so far has been awful, Maguire looking very strong, Hendry will need to stay with him.

Day 2-1 up on Stevens with back to back tons.
    Have the snooker on in the background here, whenever I look up either Maguire is playing or Hendry has just missed a red. I don't think Maguire has hit top gear yet either though.

• Advertisement

3-0 Maguire and Hendry missed probably the easiest pink he will ever miss to make it 2-1.
    As i've always said the consistency just is'nt there any more and as Permabear mentioned Hendry is in the quater finals not by playing fantastic snooker but because his opposition has been so week.

4-0 Maguire and Hendry needs to get on the practise table during the interval, he's been awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Seems an odd choice to make.

This match could be over tonight with a session to spare. This is why players such as Hendry, Doherty and Davis will not win ranking tournaments any more, the odd flash of genius just is'nt enough any more to win titles. They just can't keep up to the level of snooker that the top players are producing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

This match could be over tonight with a session to spare. This is why players such as Hendry, Doherty and Davis will not win ranking tournaments any more, the odd flash of genius just is'nt enough any more to win titles. They just can't keep up to the level of snooker that the top players are producing these days.

i agree zack, i don't think the game will even go to a third session. day should be 6-2 up in the other game this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

i agree zack, i don't think the game will even go to a third session. day should be 6-2 up in the other game this morning
    The pressure is off Hendry now though, being so far behind. He might relax a little and his game will come back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kev__

Does anyone have a link to a decent stream for the Robertson / O' Sullivan match?

Every one ive tried so far has been down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TheHopeful

Really cant see Ronnie being beat with the way he is playing. I don't even think Robertson will push him too close. 13-8/13/9 to Ronnie i reckon.

Robertson looks in great nick, this match is going to be something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

Would like to see Ronnie trounced here, he's already doin the petulant disgusted look and licking his teeth thing he does when he's not having things his own way. That said, he's in now after Robertson missed a handy enough one.

Fantastic snooker !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Aye, both tables very high quality stuff. Both down to the wire I'd say.

• Advertisement

At least he's got his bad session out of the way and is only two frames behind.

Advertisement