Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

India v England - 5 test series.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Batting first worked for Cook in the Ageas Bowl. After the hiding they took at Lord's and the pressure he was under as an opener and captain didn't change that, it was the right thing to do. Dhoni had to bat first especially after picking another spinner. India simply had to bat better.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Rjd2 wrote: »

Anyways they have been rubbish, this is the type of stuff we laugh at Bangladesh and West Indies for.
    Or England by end of ashes!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rjd2 wrote: »
    No they should have bowled first, conditions were perfect for bowling.
    England (and specifically Cook) have made it perfectly clear they would have batted first if they had won the toss. The conditions were generally considered to favour batting first, although with hindsight England will be delighted to havs lost the toss in this test.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

What exactly is the point in India touring Australia after this except boosting the stats of the Aussie bowlers and batsmen? :mad::confused:

Complete rubbish again this morning, Bangladesh would not have been any worse here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well firstly they probably have a number of contractual obligations. However more importantly a change of environment may bring about a change in luck. A lot of sports have an element of momentum to them. In India's case it may be a matter of trying one or two things slightly differently, hopefully benefitting from different conditions. Maybe they will arrest the slide and start to turn things round a little (in the same way England have done)

• Advertisement

Good toss to win. Dhoni makes things hard for himself at times but you have to feel for him, he should never find himself batting before lunch two games in a row.

I don't think it matters who goes to Australia this winter with the form and confidence they have.

Beasty wrote: »
    Well firstly they probably have a number of contractual obligations. However more importantly a change of environment may bring about a change in luck. A lot of sports have an element of momentum to them. In India's case it may be a matter of trying one or two things slightly differently, hopefully benefitting from different conditions. Maybe they will arrest the slide and start to turn things round a little (in the same way England have done)

Oh I know its financially more sensible to host India than say Pakistan, West Indies or sadly South Africa but crikey since the second test they have been abysmal. I genuinely can't remember a more inept touring side maybe them back in 2011 and Pakistan last time they were down under?:confused:

Stick Gambhir in the bin, guy is goosed.

Dhawan probably going to be toast in Australia. All their decent bats in domestic cricket e.g Pandey, Tiwary and Jadhev are middle order batsmen so they could do with having a think about getting Rahene to open.

Has opened in domestic cricket his whole career and not as inept against pace as most of the rest.

They will be murdered in Australia, last time Aus toured they got dust bowls, Australia will want green pitches to get their own back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

bring back sehwag...go down fighting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Dhoni's runs made the Indian total just about respectable given the conditions, but India failed to make any impact on the England batting before the close.

It's hard to see India getting anything from the match now. It seems a long time since they took a 1-0 lead in the series.

They should take some positives from the fact they did go 1-up though. It does highlight how quickly things can turn around, and my recollection of many tours they have had in England is the conditions really do not suit them, so who knows what they may be capable of in different conditions with a little more confidence

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    They should take some positives from the fact they did go 1-up though. It does highlight how quickly things can turn around, and my recollection of many tours they have had in England is the conditions really do not suit them, so who knows what they may be capable of in different conditions with a little more confidence

Its a tough one really that. Yep they won a test and that was great but their collapse in the three after has been abysmal, zero fight bar an innings here and their.

They do look like they have a decent pace bowling attack especially with Yadev in the wings, but again to rain on that parade, neither Ashwin or Jadeja have shone overseas have they?

Batting wise, Vijay bar an LOL run out has applies himself, got out to some pretty awesome bowling, fair enough really.

Rahene is decent although is a rabbit against spin:confused:

pujara is concerning, two shocking overseas tours now. Kohli has gunned it in SA, Australia and NZ, unlike many SC batsmen who travel he is not a flat track bully. He had a stinker of an IPL as well. Its a bad spell I think, all good players go through them at one stage or an other. He can come through it.

Gambhir is done which is probably a good thing for India going forward. He had a peak, scored some runs, done a lot of scowling. Bye bye.

It feels a bit like watching England play Mitch, India against Broad and Anderson, doesn't it?

For England, 3-1 is a good win, and their has been some really good individual performances. Young players have developed while older players have regained their form.

Negative for them?

They shouldn't get carried away, Australia in 2011 looked a million dollars beating India 4-0 and the next year or two really proved otherwise. :)

So I think its safe to say Boycott does not rate Gambhir

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23t6t2_gambhir-rubbished-by-geoff-boycott-gold_sport?start=4

Shame because he gunned it hard in NZ and South Africa when he was in his purple patch, probably not a great idea to send him to Australia, although for many reasons Australia may disagree. :pac:

Aaron was good today, he is wayward but definitely serious potential their.

Get Yadev back and and have bowl in tandem with Aaron and it will be fun.

Buttler batting nicely as well today.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Off Topic but a huge win for India Women in the Test against England Women. Particularly as England are a pro team now. Deserve a lot of credit for that win, but it probably wont register anywhere much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Off Topic but a huge win for India Women in the Test against England Women. Particularly as England are a pro team now. Deserve a lot of credit for that win, but it probably wont register anywhere much.

For the Indian women's team who are really a group of semi-professionals to beat a well funded,centrally contracted , fully professional English team is quite staggering in reality

Well done ladies......Hopefully the morons at the BCCI take notice and start pouring some money into women's cricket in India

.......and it's also time they banned the Indian men's team from travelling abroad....I gave up on them after the last test and they are going to be thrashed at the Oval as well

First test match in 8 years, 8 players on debut away to a really strong England side and they chase 182 on a tough pitch only losing 4 wickets, that is a wonderful achievement.

Raj saw them home, she is a superb player, just a shame she doesn't get anywhere near the recognition and riches some of her less talented male stars receive.

191529.3.jpg

Well you could say a reprieve for Root, but equally it was ridiculous for Sharma to be pushing the front foot so far forward - now seems top be giving himself about half a metre of comfort!!

.... and Broad doesn't seem to have any concerns after what happened in the last Test

While it was funny, that was a bad session for test cricket overall.

Just does nothing to see such absolute ineptitude in what is supposed to be the elite format of cricket.

Gambhir, if I said what I really thought of him since his return I would be banned form the internet.

I honestly can't remember when I seen such a wretched session as that. Dire.

At least they may stop picking players on IPL form though.:p

Australian fans seething that he won't be opening down under though. :pac:

Indian Cricket R.I.P ..... The men's team that is

Its very sad isn't it?

No fight, they don't care anymore.

They have shown no bottle at all for three tests.

What makes it more disgraceful and upsetting for Indian fans, yesterday their ladies team secured a fantastic test win by playing magnificent cricket against a superior England team in alien conditions.

Raj is better than this shower of rubbish. :mad::(

• Advertisement

It was RIP English Cricket at the SCG last January or even at Lord's a few weeks ago.. They have turned it around well. Still a better Indian tour than the last one. This is a new team. An opener to partner Vijay, the middle order to find form and pick the best bowlers. Aaron, Yadev, Sharma, Kumar and Ashwin will score as many runs as anyone.

I don't know how India lost this series after Lord's. Losing Sharma, negative selection, the whole Anderson/Jadeja thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Gillespy wrote: »
    I don't know how India lost this series after Lord's. Losing Sharma, negative selection, the whole Anderson/Jadeja thing?

Rotten Batting. In their last 5 innings they managed 178,152,161,148 and 94. You won't win many matches with numbers like that. Most of the dismissals were down to poor shots rather than good bowling.

England got better as the series went on, but they were flattered by some awful play by India.

Especially true with how they played Ali. So many soft dismissals there

Anderson is a magician in these conditions, when it swings he is unplayable. That's not top say I'm on the bandwagon that believes he's the best in the world.

Catching was poor also. They never played their best team either.

Gillespy wrote: »
    It was RIP English Cricket at the SCG last January or even at Lord's a few weeks ago.. They have turned it around well. Still a better Indian tour than the last one. This is a new team. An opener to partner Vijay, the middle order to find form and pick the best bowlers. Aaron, Yadev, Sharma, Kumar and Ashwin will score as many runs as anyone.

Tough one to rank both series in terms of awfulness, that England side in 2011 was fantastic and probably at its peak. It was full of confidence and of course they had prepared some spicy pitches. This time around they were at a very low ebb after the loss with the knives properly out for the old guard.

India won a test here, but after their last performances its pretty hollow. They literally gave up for the last 2 tests.

That is their last five innings, sorry but this is disgraceful.

66 overs 178 runs
    46 overs 152 runs
    43 overs 161 runs
    61 overs 148 runs
    29 overs 94 runs

Fletcher can go, he has been useless for India since his appointment. Maybe look at getting Kirsten back?

Dhoni?

He had some gun knocks, but a useless captain in test cricket, useless wicket keeper and their needs to be some sort of fall out from this. Ojha has been toiling away in the ranji for years and gunned it hard against Australia's A side not to long ago.

I wouldn't even be as excited about their pacers either, Dhoni proved he didn't know to use Kumar properly as he bowled him into the ground. Did he think he was Herath? Don't see the resemblance myself.

Aaron? Awesome, but has had loads of injuries and his economy rate is something which will terrify Dhoni and Fletcher as Yadev will back up.
    I wouldn't want to put money on him playing to much in Australia for that reason.

Either way this was one of the most brutal beat downs I have seen for a while.Heck even Zimbabwe fought harder last week against South Africa.

It's going to be carnage in Australia,they need to pray for rain and an injury outbreak in the Aussie squad.

Really good from India today in the 50 over game. England are lucky they are playing loads of games before the world cup because that type of performance simply won't do next year in Australia/NZ.

I don't know who's worse.....

England at one day cricket
    or
    India at test cricket

Classy stuff from India in the one dayers but can't read much into it as England have been hopeless

England will get nowhere in one day cricket with Cook as captain and for all his reverse sweeps and unconventional shots it's about time Morgan made some runs

As things stand apart from Morgan (if he makes some runs that is) , Ali ,Hales and maybe Root none of the others should be in the team for next years world cup

Credit to both Boards for getting the schedule right and working on their respective weaknesses. Wall to wall one-dayers for England before the world cup and India play two test series in that time.

Bopara, England's most consistent player of the last few years isn't even in the squad. Morgan is living of reputation now, I'm his biggest fan but he needs to produce.

Finn seems to bowling within himself, give him the new ball and tell him to go all out for a few overs with a packed slip cordon. India needed to be bowled out today.

Before today Joe Root in the last 12 months, has played 18 ODIS, he averages 22.8 at a strike rate of 70. He is very lucky to be still in this side.

Morgan has been stodgy recently, but is averaging close to 40 in the last 12 months, which surprised me as I thought it would be lower,so he isn't a concern.

Agreed with the Finn. The Bopara thing is insanity, so many times over the years he was picked and wasn't deserving, but this time he gets dropped he didn't deserve to be!:pac:

I'd like to see James Taylor in the side,his numbers deserve it and maybe Ali bat higher as he does for Worc.

Not sure Roy is ready for ODI cricket yet though, by all means let him slog himself silly in the t20, but ODI cricket may be a little early for him yet.

For India, its a fine series win, but won't get to excited just yet about them for the world cup, this same side got murdered in New Zealand and South Africa this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Willey should both be given a run in t20, he has been decent in all forms in a terrible team this year. Offers a slogger with the bat and capable of taking wickets too. Wouldn't be any worse than what England have offered generally in the limited overs stuff.

• Advertisement

What's wrong with Morgan nowadays?

After having played Test cricket for the last three matches, England finally belt the white ball around.......still you would fancy India to chase whatever they are set if they are really serious about this match

Advertisement