Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juicing

Options
  • 19-08-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I just recently read a number of articles about the benefits of juicing. I've decided to take the plunge and buy a juicer. I'm completely out of my depth when it comes to choosing with juicer. I have no problem spending a bit extra if it ensures I get a good juicer in which the motor won't burn out. I just seeing if anybody has any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

BeanoI wrote: »
    Hi, I just recently read a number of articles about the benefits of juicing. I've decided to take the plunge and buy a juicer. I'm completely out of my depth when it comes to choosing with juicer. I have no problem spending a bit extra if it ensures I get a good juicer in which the motor won't burn out. I just seeing if anybody has any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Juicing is the latest Craze to hit the market. If you juice you are taking in huge amounts of vegetables which is unrealistic for a human

Eat the fruit / veg normally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

God remember the days when "juicing" meant you were lashing the roids out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

I bought a juicer back in March... I used it twice and then donated it to a friend.

Apart from being a pain to clean, there was too much wastage!! I spent a fortune on fruit and veg for a small glass of juice. It just wasn't worth it for me!

I sometimes use a handheld blender now and blend fruit in to my protein shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I was donated a juicer by a friend last month, as she was travelling and was offloading her stuff. Honestly, it's changed how I eat and my outlook. It's a Argos Cookworks one, so not amazing fancy or anthing, but I make up a litre of juice a day; that's spinach, celery, cucumber, mint, few apples (not too many as they have high fructose content which I am trying to avoid) and a bit of kale or lemon if I have it. Feel mighty. I sometimes do a carrot beetroot one, again higher in sugar but it's a nice treaty one. Because I am researching juicing, I am educating myself more and more and what goes into my system and so honestly, one of the best things Ive done is use the juicer. Takes 5 mins if even to clean, and I now have that in my routine.

If it is a healthy way of making me feel better and I get complimented on how good my skin looks (another change since juicing) than Im happy with it becoming part of my lifestyle.

For those who say 'just eat the veg', I know I wouldnt put away half a bag of spinach, a cucumber and a bunch of celery and a few apples in a day, shame on me but it's true!

What I do find also is that I have less and less of a taste for crap; I did have a craving for choc last week but had a juice instead ..at a push Ill have a square of 85% cocoa choc so that's another good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

@LadyMayBelle - good to know! I've been considering juicing as well as I am just not eating enough fruit and veg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dat fibre doe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Try a Nutribullet. No wastage and you keep the fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

no need for anything fancy, aldi have one for 25 yoyo - dont buy the ones that have ANY by-products, the skin etc are normally the best part of a fruit or veg, we juice anything that's coming to the end of its life uneaten. We also find its a great way to get veg into the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nunn351

take advice above and eat wholesome not juiced , especially fruit , because of sugar content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I have an oscar. It's amazing. I had a bog standard one (breville I think) and once I started juicing seriously the motor packed in. Oscar has 25 year guarantee on the motor. It's centrifugal juicing so much higher yield and fresher taste. I also noticed my skin improved a lot with juicing. I think it's not too bad as long as you stick to mostly veg. Fruit juice has a lot of sugar. I do agree with the poster who says it's a good way to stave off cravings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 supertux

A Nutribullet is a blender. Not a juicer.

Some people here don't know what their talking about.

I'm very happy with my Philips juicer. Got mine on Amazon.co.uk

Just look up some videos on youtube by juicemaster. He shows simple juice recipes.
    One reason you juice is to give your stomach and colon a break. The juice gets straight to work without need to be extracted from its fibers.

I started a juicing program 6 days ago. Drinking ONLY juice. 1 for breakfast. 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner. Thats it!
    I have lost 5kgs in weight so far. I'm down a waste size. Body fat is down a couple of %. I run about 2 times a week and feeling quite healthy.
    I'm actually amazed at how dramatic the changes in me are.

LIDL is your only man for getting raw veg :) I buy cucumbers, spinach leaves, broccoli, tomatoes, apples, oranges, carrots, celery +more. Add lemons & lime to take the earthy taste on some juices :)
    You only need to go to the fruit and vegetables section...Then your done!!

It doesn't take long to clean juicers. Fill up the sink while your juicing (some washing liquid too). Put a compostable bag in the juicer wast container before you start. clean and dry. The cutting blade is the only part you need to scrub.

Hope this helps.

Juice 3 meals a day and drink plenty of water. It will transform you to a new healthy person.

Happy Juicing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Supertux why does the stomach and colon need a break?

To clean the colon of toxins that build up over time from eating processed food. Kinda detoxify the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Our liver is our detox system. Stomach holds and breaks down food. Colon holds poop. Still not sure why a detox is needed through juicing? I hope you add back in the pulp and skin, that has a lot of nutrients and fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

supertux wrote: »

I started a juicing program 6 days ago. Drinking ONLY juice. 1 for breakfast. 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner. Thats it!
    I have lost 5kgs in weight so far. I'm down a waste size. Body fat is down a couple of %. I run about 2 times a week and feeling quite healthy.
    I'm actually amazed at how dramatic the changes in me are.
    !

These juicing programs are total bull. You've been taken in by marketing. Do you buy the juices from some health store offering a 5 day shred with pictures of a six pack?

Eating the right foods will do the same for you and it's sustainable.

What are you going to do when the program is over? Are you going to live on juice forever?

Eat real food. Don't be taken in by clever marketing.

I have said where I get my supply's from. I have given my own personal account from juicing.
    There is no set program. You can juice anytime of the day. I will integrate juicing with eating "real" healthy food.

You obviously have done a juicing feast to call it bull ?

I agree everyone will have a strong opinion on different foods and ways to consume it. I'm trying juicing at the moment and I feel great.
    I would highly recommend it to anyone.
    I don't see what market benefits from people juicing....except farmers I guess. If juicing is not for you then that's your decision.

Happy Juicing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I have done one of Jason Vale's juice cleanses and while I'll agree that you do tend to drop a bit of weight quickly and feel pretty good doing so it's not sustainable long term and also you're in danger of shedding muscle from the lack of protein. Also I found that after a couple of days I couldn't get warm, it was like my system was shutting down or something. Nothing wrong with juicing as part of a healthy diet but I don't think that living on juice, or excluding any food group with the exception of grain based carbs is a healthy way to live.

supertux wrote: »
    I have said where I get my supply's from. I have given my own personal account from juicing.
    There is no set program. You can juice anytime of the day. I will integrate juicing with eating "real" healthy food.

You obviously have done a juicing feast to call it bull ?

I agree everyone will have a strong opinion on different foods and ways to consume it. I'm trying juicing at the moment and I feel great.
    I would highly recommend it to anyone.
    I don't see what market benefits from people juicing....except farmers I guess. If juicing is not for you then that's your decision.

Happy Juicing!

You said you have been on a juicing program for 6 days (consuming only juice). It's just ridiculous. Somewhere along the way you have been taken in by the clever marketing benefits of detoxing and juicing programs. How often will you go on these programs?

I've drank juices and smoothies but I've never gone on a juice program because it's quick-fix bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

I got a nutribullet about 6 weeks ago. I find it very useful. I eat/swallow a combination of vile ( I have an inherent distaste for vegetables) veggies with my breakfast (Spinach, Kale, Rocket, Carrots with a small bit of Avacado, Ginger and maybe "5 frozen berries/half a banana" for sweetness) . The taste is fine. It wouldn't be something I'd pay for......BUT the smooth creamy texture is probably the best part. Without the blender, my veg intake would be limited to a few peppers with most meals. I know nothing about nutrition but I'd guess my morning smoothie must be better than no vegetables at all.

(If only I had learnt to eat my greens the traditional way!!)

I'm agreeing all the way with Supertux here. I had a pretty scruffy diet and couldn't understand why even after eating a lunch of fruit/yoghurt I'd be still feeling rubbish. Now I have a veg juice along with something (depends where I am) for a boost. I feel great.
    Don't knock juicing till you've genuinely given it a proper try. I was a sceptic but results are in and I feel so much better, more energy, more exercise (I was too exhausted before).

• Advertisement

I'm agreeing all the way with Supertux here. I had a pretty scruffy diet and couldn't understand why even after eating a lunch of fruit/yoghurt I'd be still feeling rubbish. Now I have a veg juice along with something (depends where I am) for a boost. I feel great.
    Don't knock juicing till you've genuinely given it a proper try. I was a sceptic but results are in and I feel so much better, more energy, more exercise (I was too exhausted before).

Fruit / yogurt would be a pretty crap lunch so no surprise there.

I'm not knocking juicing (juices should be mostly veg though). My issue is these juice / detox programs (consuming nothing nut juice) that promise to shred you and give you a six pack in 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

That's a vegan diet for you.

ch750536 wrote: »
    That's a vegan diet for you.

Or just removing the crap from the diet and eating lots more veg.

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Or just removing the crap from the diet and eating lots more veg.

Well the plan is increasingly plant based and reducing animal based so yup on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭meitina

Well ,thanks to vegetable juices I have been free of medication for the 8 months now this year.
    I was on nexium for like 6 years and also had migraines every month.I also had gallbladder problems,thick bile,I could not digest food and was in pain. I have to mention that my diet prior was changed greatly a long time before,no fast food ,only clean homemade food. but it didn't help with any of above mentioned .
    I started juice fasts in april. I've been on juice mostly for the duration. completed 3 whole juice only fasts 17, 25, and 35 days . for the rest of the time i have been eating raw and plant based diet.
    I can say that the constant heartburn problem went after one week of fast. I have not had one migraine for months now.
    and the pain in my gallbladder is gone ,its working like clockwork !
    I have to say ,I have gone completely mad for onions ,garlic ,lemons ,chilli and tomatoes .These were the foods I was not able to eat because of the heartburn i had!

And the best side effect of the juice -weight loss! -18 kg. And a gain of loads of energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

meitina wrote: »
    Well ,thanks to vegetable juices I have been free of medication for the 8 months now this year.
    I was on nexium for like 6 years and also had migraines every month.I also had gallbladder problems,thick bile,I could not digest food and was in pain. I have to mention that my diet prior was changed greatly a long time before,no fast food ,only clean homemade food. but it didn't help with any of above mentioned .
    I started juice fasts in april. I've been on juice mostly for the duration. completed 3 whole juice only fasts 17, 25, and 35 days . for the rest of the time i have been eating raw and plant based diet.
    I can say that the constant heartburn problem went after one week of fast. I have not had one migraine for months now.
    and the pain in my gallbladder is gone ,its working like clockwork !
    I have to say ,I have gone completely mad for onions ,garlic ,lemons ,chilli and tomatoes .These were the foods I was not able to eat because of the heartburn i had!

And the best side effect of the juice -weight loss! -18 kg. And a gain of loads of energy!

Maybe the improvement in your health was due to weight loss rather than juicing? Anything that juicing provides can be got from a balanced diet.

jh79 wrote: »
    Maybe the improvement in your health was due to weight loss rather than juicing? Anything that juicing provides can be got from a balanced diet.

He,how much weight loss do you think I had lost in one week of juicing?? i was not able to stop the nexium for years and now after the fast of one week the symptoms are gone!And continuously still symptom free for months after . It just proves that the medicaments does not help they make you dependent on them. also detoxing your body helps the get rid of the addiction and endless circle of need for more medicine .
    And ofcourse losing weight helps.But I never would have believed of the immediate effect of the raw juices before i tried them!

He,how much weight loss do you think I had lost in one week of juicing?? i was not able to stop the nexium for years and now after the fast of one week the symptoms are gone!And continuously still symptom free for months after . It just proves that the medicaments does not help they make you dependent on them. also detoxing your body helps the get rid of the addiction and endless circle of need for more medicine .
    And ofcourse losing weight helps.But I never would have believed of the immediate effect of the raw juices before i tried them!

You changed form an unhealthy diet to a healthier one. The juicing was just a part of that.

No such thing as detoxing by the way.

dare you to try 3 days on water only fast! And come back to tell me how you felt!
    I played with the weekly fasts for a while before juice only fasts. And i can tell you the is such a thing as detox!

• Advertisement

dare you to try 3 days on water only fast! And come back to tell me how you felt!
    I played with the weekly fasts for a while before juice only fasts. And i can tell you the is such a thing as detox!

Well medical science says otherwise.

Advertisement