Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CA residency test 'breaches EU rules'

Options
  • 25-07-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

The European Commission has requested the Irish government address the habitual residency test which excludes people claiming carers allowance because they are residing in another EU state even though they have made social security contributions in Ireland.

The government has two months to respond before the issue is brought before the European Court of Justice.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0710/629817-carers/

It may not be of relevance to many here, but thought it worth posting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Thanks for the link Frito, I wish there was more information on it but I couldn't see anywhere else to go for elaboration. What I know on the subject really isn't worth knowing but my poor old head wonders how someone could possibly care for someone else when living in another country? When I read of the difficulties carers here face to qualify for carers allowance while up to their tonsils in the nitty gritty of it all, I wonder how someone resident in another state could be deemed to be a carer in the first place? I'm obviously missing the point so any pointers would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Well you would be caring abroad, you fulfil the criteria for a carer ie you provide 35 hours of care over 7 days per week.
    The issue is you can meet these requirements but because you're not living in Ireland, you're excluded from receiving carer's allowance. Even though you have paid your social security contributions in Ireland.

Advertisement