Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayweather v Maidana 2

• 10-07-2014 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭

pac_man wrote: »
    Another few high profile joke fights lined up. Mayweather v Maidana 2, Pacman v Chris Algieri and Danny Garcia against some bloke Ive never heard of.

If only the fighters in those fights were swapped around a little :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

pac_man wrote: »
    Another few high profile fights lined up. Mayweather v Maidana 2

God this is so disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

FTA69 wrote: »
    God this is so disappointing.

Maidina had his chance. Mayweather will be ready for this one, will have the right plan and pick him off all night.
    Im disappointed:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

This looks like it'll shape up as an inevitable sequel to Mayweather Castillo 2 all over again...if only a Jones Tarver 2 outcome occurred :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Anyone else think that the decision to match Garcia with a nobody in August, points to Garcia - Mayweather next May? I think Mayweather has told Al Haymon to make a fight with Garcia happen, as he would be ideal stylistically for him. As a result Danny has to be protected until next May, so they match him with a bum.

This also has big implications for Amir Khan. If he doesn't get Mayweather in May then he will never get to fight him, as Mayweather will only have 1 fight left in his deal, and that will take place in September when Khan is unable to fight due to Ramadan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This also has big implications for Amir Khan. If he doesn't get Mayweather in May then he will never get to fight him, as Mayweather will only have 1 fight left in his deal, and that will take place in September when Khan is unable to fight due to Ramadan.

Ramadan is Mid June to Mid July.

• Advertisement

Hence why Amir Khan cannot put in the required few months training prior to a big fight like Mayweather

End of July to be exact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

FTA69 wrote: »
    End of July to be exact!

No. 16th July to be exact.

That's middle in any man's language.

It's the 27th this year.

If they wait till 2020 for the fight it'll be done by the end of may , he'll have loads of time to train :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

2 ways this will go, a complete re run of the first fight or else Mayweather will run and pot shot all night.

I have a feeling though that Chino will force his fight on money again! While Mayweather will claim he stood toe to toe on purpose, I genuinely feel Chino dragged Money into his fight. When Mayweather was pushed to the ropes before, he used he excellent feet to slip out the side (usually with a hook to the head too) but with Maidana, he was smothered and looked really uncomfortable. This is Chino's best chance of beating him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

Maybe Pacquiao's being saved for May?Two fights left with Showtime by then.We live and hope.Maidana gave MW hell by just swarming him.Imagine speed and technique added to that?!I appreciate that Mayweather still looks the same as ever and is the clear favourite while Pac has gone safety first but I still think it would be a great fight. Disappointed with the announcement of the Algieri fight and I didn't expect anything else from MW. I hope Maidana stayed in the gym the past few weeks...

• Advertisement

No. 16th July to be exact.

That's middle in any man's language.

It's the 27th this year.

If they wait till 2020 for the fight it'll be done by the end of may , he'll have loads of time to train :)

What are you on about? Eid (end of Ramadan) this year is over on the 29th of July. It's a lunar determined month so the dates change gradually.

Unless you're talking about next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Is there going to be another gloves debate? Can Maidana wear his favoured gloves this time? surely that would have been something he will have negotiated for this fight....

Prediction....Maidana throws wildly for rds 1-3 then FMJ picks him off all night winning a wide points decision...

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

Is there going to be another gloves debate? Can Maidana wear his favoured gloves this time? surely that would have been something he will have negotiated for this fight....

Prediction....Maidana throws wildly for rds 1-3 then FMJ picks him off all night winning a wide points decision...

I see exactly what your saying here Andrew, I just wonder has Money lost a step, would he be able to do a Lara on it and get on his bike for 9 solid rounds. He seems to have lost a little bit of foot speed to be honest, hence why Chino bullied him in the first fight! Obviously Floyd will claim he stood and fought Chino but in reality Maidana made him fight his fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Kevlar Bay

Gorman700 wrote: »
    I see exactly what your saying here Andrew, I just wonder has Money lost a step, would he be able to do a Lara on it and get on his bike for 9 solid rounds. He seems to have lost a little bit of foot speed to be honest, hence why Chino bullied him in the first fight! Obviously Floyd will claim he stood and fought Chino but in reality Maidana made him fight his fight.

There's no way he's as sharp at 37 as he was at 27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Stylistically Mayweather is vulnerable to a volume fighter, that doesn't let him set up the straight right. If you take away the right, Mayweather is human. That's why Maidana will probably test him again.

Its up to Maidana to come in fitter and stronger to try keep the pressure going longer. Its the only way anyone will beat Floyd, he could fight till he is sixty if lads give him room to pick his favourite shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

You remember Canelo vs Mayweather so this one will be the same Maidana has no skill there guys just throwing and throwing wild punches and hoping to land one, nothing special about him. Mayweather by UD all the way.

RickyWed wrote: »
    You remember Canelo vs Mayweather so this one will be the same Maidana has no skill there guys just throwing and throwing wild punches and hoping to land one, nothing special about him. Mayweather by UD all the way.

Canelo and Maidana are completely different fighters stylistically and styles makes fights. Maidana may not be the most skillful of boxers out there but he has improved in that area incredibly in the last few years. And he's a former world champion who has beaten top boxers in the past and gave Mayweathera massive scare in the last fight...but ignorance is bliss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

It's not ignorance, it's how it's gonna be mate nothing else. Maidana shouldn't been picked in a first place for rematch... He lost first time lost his belt so not really anything to gain for Mayweather though. Only money I guess but I don't know if you have watched the first fight but Maidana lost clearly, but if you call boxing throwing reckless punches all over again that's fine with me just don't try to make Maidana a worthy fighter, dirty maybe but not worthy.
    Off course Canelo can't cut the ring like Maidana but that's about it, Mayweather will dance around him and couter will be the same in general, anyway you will see. In the meantime Maidan will try to use his knee, rabbit punches and all the nice MMA tactics ;)

RickyWed wrote: »
    It's not ignorance, it's how it's gonna be mate nothing else. Maidana shouldn't been picked in a first place for rematch... He lost first time lost his belt so not really anything to gain for Mayweather though. Only money I guess but I don't know if you have watched the first fight but Maidana lost clearly, but if you call boxing throwing reckless punches all over again that's fine with me just don't try to make Maidana a worthy fighter, dirty maybe but not worthy.
    Off course Canelo can't cut the ring like Maidana but that's about it, Mayweather will dance around him and couter will be the same in general, anyway you will see. In the meantime Maidan will try to use his knee, rabbit punches and all the nice MMA tactics ;)

I fully expect Floyd to win too who doesn't but Maidana fully deserves a rematch. I had Floyd winning the fight by two rounds tops. If Chino had enough stamina for twelve rounds he probably would have won the fight, as bizarre as it sounds. He dominated the first half of the fight...few if any boxers can say they did that against Floyd.

To be a top class boxer you have to bend the laws a little, every boxer does it from Floyd to Andre Ward to Wlad. Maidana is one of the most entertaining boxers on the planet and I thoroughly respect him as he gives it his all and has stunning punching power. Boxing could do with more guys like him. If Floyd lost or loses the rematch it would be incredible for boxing and with Floyd's cherry picking tendencies this is as likely he'll ever lose.

Floyd was troubled big time by a guy as limited as Maidana. A lot of respectable people in boxing called it a draw and even some gave it to Chino. To think if doesn't deserve a rematch is utter sh*te talk. It'll be more one sided this time out but Chino fully deserves another crack and another pay day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Slightly off topic,

But the beef between 50 cent and Mayweather is getting a bit funny.

A recording of Mayweather trying to read has surfaced online, its actually pretty awkward to listen to, kinda feel for the guy. So 50 has challenged him to read a page from a Harry Potter book and will donate 750,000 to a charity of his choice.

Here is the recording.
    http://itsbizkit.com/2014/08/22/audio-floyd-mayweather-reading-skills-exposed-breakfast-club/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,707 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ghetto trash! The champ has a weakness; can't be the GOAT at everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

That's pretty low in fairness, no need for it.

that's terrible but funny.**** MW.Fiddy seems fairly grounded in his interviews.He basically said Floyd wanted 50 to buy the boxers for their promotional company and then didn't pay his part.I have to add MW had a lot of trouble with that swarming style of Chinos which makes me wonder how he'd cope with a pressure fighter with boxing IQ,speed and endurance who wouldn't be discouraged by that shoulder role and straight right....yeah..I know..yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Mayweathers response today was post 2 pictures of his cheques from Golden Boy, totalling 75 million and captioned "Read that". I think 50 will be happy with that response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I see Mayweather has hired Alex Ariza now :D

So that's the PED AND Catchweight subject over with right?Prolly MW 8-4 over Chino this time. Maidana gets all over MW again in the early rounds even though Floyd now as him figured out and then he has a spirited round 8th or 9th to keep us all believing!I doubt he much minds that his jr. MW belt is on the line.I just want to see him truly roughed up and tested like the last one.
    Actually...after watchin the highlights again it's hard to see what exactly he'll do differently.All Maidana has to do is keep the pressure up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

walshb wrote: »
    Ghetto trash!

Which one?

RayK0309 wrote: »
    So that's the PED AND Catchweight subject over with right?Prolly MW 8-4 over Chino this time. Maidana gets all over MW again in the early rounds even though Floyd now as him figured out and then he has a spirited round 8th or 9th to keep us all believing!I doubt he much minds that his jr. MW belt is on the line.I just want to see him truly roughed up and tested like the last one.
    Actually...after watchin the highlights again it's hard to see what exactly he'll do differently.All Maidana has to do is keep the pressure up.

Maidana probably won't keep the pressure up though. Even if he improves 50% on his stamina in the first fight he'll still probably wilt around the 8th or 9th and let Floyd close the show.

It's bizarre that it has even come to a rematch though. This is Marcos Maidana we're talking about. He shouldn't even have been competitive with Mayweather going by his career to date.

I've always regarded the jab as the key weapon against Mayweather, simply because it denies him the freedom of the ring. Maidana doesn't have a good jab. Robert Garcia had to tell him to stop throwing it against Broner because it was so slow.

What threw everything out of a loop in his fight with Floyd was that Mayweather was made massively uncomfortable by Maidana's chopping overhand right, which he sets up with his jabs to the body.

After a few rounds all he had to do was feint with a bend of the knees and he would send Floyd back-pedalling towards the ropes. It was very unexpected.

Against a guy as slow as Chino, you would normally expect Floyd to be in full on 'swim without getting wet' mode. But Maidana knocked him out of his stride in a big way. You would never expect him to repeat it, but then you would never have anticipated it happening to begin with.

Which one?

Fitty CENT for this one.

Episode 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM57JIKelk0

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Putins Assassin

What's up with Mayweather eating McDonald's food?

They have pictures on the menu.

Hunger?

Hi guys I've been out of the loop a bit lately....so is Chino using the Powerlock or the other ones (MX?) can't remember the ones he uses? Wasnt a big big debate over this in the run up to the first one then I heard Garcia say Chino will use Powerlock....? Whats the latest?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Hi guys I've been out of the loop a bit lately....so is Chino using the Powerlock or the other ones (MX?) can't remember the ones he uses? Wasnt a big big debate over this in the run up to the first one then I heard Garcia say Chino will use Powerlock....? Whats the latest?

Everlast Powerlock. Mayweather refuses to let him wear horsehair gloves.

Ridiculous state of affairs really. The commission should just have a list of approved gloves and that should be the end of it. It shouldn't even be an option for the A-side to pull this sort of nonsense.

Wow I thought this would have been one of THE things that Chino would have insisted on when signing the contract...its funny....maybe a bad example but imagine Iker Casillas refusing to allow Messi use Nike boots...I don't get boxing sometimes. As you said Henno, MX are approved by the boxing council so howw is FMJ allowed to dictate- champ or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

the gloves are still undecided it is between Chino's Management and Mayweather promotions. I think the gloves are a side issue to create a distraction that fight will be competitive. Part of me thinks Mayweather will school him like the later rounds in the 1st fight. Another part of me thinks Chino has longer to prepare without his family distractions. i remember Mayweather said Tony Weeks will never ref his fights again as he let chino bully him. I think the ref will be a big part to play in this fight like Joe Cortez in the Hatton fight.

Re the MCD's food this is just hype BS Floyd stole off Ricky H," look at me I eat sh1t food just like you fat slobs " to increase his appeal to fans etc.

Part of me wants to belive Chino can win (like Donegal vs Dublin) but my head says Mayweather will like Germany in this years WC

Wow I thought this would have been one of THE things that Chino would have insisted on when signing the contract...its funny....maybe a bad example but imagine Iker Casillas refusing to allow Messi use Nike boots...I don't get boxing sometimes. As you said Henno, MX are approved by the boxing council so howw is FMJ allowed to dictate- champ or not!

Well the nature of boxing is that the side with the money behind them can demand whatever they want. The A-side can find another opponent if it comes to it, and when it comes down to it the B-side can't just walk away. They can't afford to. Nor can they usually afford to pass up whatever bribe the A-side offers them to go along with it.

It's pathetic really, but what made Mayweather's stunt even worse was that he didn't even make a point of it during negotiations. He brought it up 24hrs before the fight. And not only would he not let Maidana choose his own gloves, he stipulated the pair of gloves that Maidana had to wear.

The point is it shouldn't even be an option, either in negotiations or as a last minute stunt. Only in boxing would such a loophole exist. It's just another way in which lesser name fighters can be exploited by those who have more money. In a properly organised sport it wouldn't be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mayweather has a reputation for dodging, rightly or wrongly. Maidana's people should have used this and insisted on their gloves in a take it or leave it kind of way. Floyd would come off a lot worse in the public eye...."He's scared of us, the gloves are his excuse" etc etc. Floyd is so wrapped up in his ego that he would acquiesce for sure.

Kirby wrote: »
    Mayweather has a reputation for dodging, rightly or wrongly. Maidana's people should have used this and insisted on their gloves in a take it or leave it kind of way. Floyd would come off a lot worse in the public eye...."He's scared of us, the gloves are his excuse" etc etc. Floyd is so wrapped up in his ego that he would acquiesce for sure.

Take it or leave it hurts nobody but Maidana and his team.

Hey interesting point/question I just read regarding demands and what-not...who was the A-side in 2010?In ye're opinion.

• Advertisement

Hey interesting point/question I just read regarding demands and what-not...who was the A-side in 2010?In ye're opinion.

2010? With whom?

Pac/May

Pac/May

Both fighters were global names at that time. Both had huge followings and were pretty much equal. Mayweather did not want the fight. Simple as that.

ya agreed.silly question.And then the Bob Arum thing 5 yrs later.Then again Pac resigned.Is it true Arum is shafting him.Could he really be that stupid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Golovkin p4p best

walshb wrote: »
    Hunger?

The way he goes on about his health one would think he'd shun all fast food.

The way he goes on about his health one would think he'd shun all fast food.

I really don't think the occasional burger and chips is gonna' hurt. And even if it's more than occasional it's clear that it is not hurting. He's still p4p number 1. Eat in moderation, and what makes you happy is good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Mayweather wasnt himself in the last fight his ex fiance miss jackson had gone off with nelly the rapper and had aborted his baby his mind could not of been 100%, I think hes just gonna pop shot maidana all night with that straight right.

The possibility of seeing maywether on the canvas just once in his career is enough for me to tune in though.

Mayweather wasnt himself in the last fight his ex fiance miss jackson had gone off with nelly the rapper and had aborted his baby his mind could not of been 100%, I think hes just gonna pop shot maidana all night with that straight right.

The possibility of seeing maywether on the canvas just once in his career is enough for me to tune in though.

He's just too good for anything like that to happen but as someone mentioned in an earlier post I still think that overhand right will give him some shakey moments cos Maidana stoops low and digs in and has that swinging down.The guy has barely been touched during his career and yet he knew exactly what to do when Mosley shook him twice in their fight. But yeah...WAR CHINO!!/Frampton

Maidana has got sharper and has upped his tempo under Garcia I think. He's still basically the same fighter but there's a bit more efficiency about him now.

There are two major issues for him in this fight really. Can he sustain intelligent pressure beyond the half-way point and into the late rounds this time. And can he prevent Mayweather from holding him on the inside. If he fails on either of those fronts he doesn't have much of a chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement