Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Yes BBC news is called now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Any of you who have bought the Humax Foxsat STB recently may have realised it's not so easy to activate the diseq switching and tune into a few different satellites.

I managed to sort this out after several days of effort, in case anyone is interested.
    Essentially there's a hidden advanced menu (not mentioned in the user manual) that you can only access as below:

Multi-Satellite Setup - DiSEqC Switches, Motorised systems
    To access the Advanced Menu (hidden) for multi satellite:
    - Go to Menu> SETUP press ok.
    - Press RED, GREEN, YELLOW, BLUE; GREEN, YELLOW, BLUE sequentially and slowly.
    - 2 options appear:
    Antenna Setting
    Manual Tune
    - In Antenna Setting select your Antenna Type (Fixed, SCD, Motor*, SMATV)
    - Setup as required and then use Manual Tune to search for the channels on each satellite separately and save.

When you use the Humax then on non Freesat mode you will automatically have access to all the satellites you tune in via your diseq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I just upgraded to SKY HD and ran into some issues, which I eventually fixed using some internet research and I decided to pubilish the steps for posterity in case anyone else hits the same problems.

To summarise - once upgraded SKY HD was coming in on a different channel (now HDMI, used to be a SCART connection) so my TV couldn't find the signal by default. In addition my 'smart picture' aspect ration thingy no longer worked. Both of these issues resulted in a lot of nagging in my left ear from Wifey so if you're facing into the same problems, go to the link below for the resolutions.

http://www.avalon5.com/science-and-technology/technology/invaluable-sky-hd-workarounds/

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Have just installed skyplus, but when I record a movie, even a 12's movie, if I want to watch it during the day, it is pin protected.
    Have no idea if the installer put in a number, or if there is a default number.
    Have tried all the usual's, 4 zero's, nine's, 1234, etc.

PLease, any one any ideas???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Hi dedaw, try the last 4 numbers of your sky card / account number ( printed your address lable on cover of Sky magazine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Hello there! This is a question about FTA news channels. I have all the ones available through on the Astra satellites but I was wondering is there any more FTA English speaking news channels out there on other satellites? Specifically American news channels.
    Thanking you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bertie Bassett

Does anyone know is it possible to record one channel and watch another with the D.I.Y. satellite receiver/disk packs which are widely available (e.g. Philex receiver and dish pack) and if not how could I get around this problem? I am looking at the various options at the moment and this is one of the important issues, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is more than one beam. Only Astra2D is OK on 45cm but you will lose some other beams, esp. the Eurobird beam. Don't spoil ship for sake of saving a few inches. :)

This is why Ireland uses Zone2 Minidish. However a solid 60cm dish is preferable as the minidish rusts easily and saves nothing in wind loading. The dish can be resprayed a desired colour

Real signal levels can be up to 6db lower than the Contours here. These contours illustrate an absolute maximum possible power with perfect clear sky, full uplink power, 100% performance of transponders and batteries.

Signal contours assume transponders are driven full power, many are not as this is more costly.
    Signal contours assume clear sky.
    Cloud even without rain can lower gain by 6dB as can high level Ice Crystals

With age the maximum power of the Transmitters (Transponders) drops by at least 3dB. With age the batteries may not be so good in the dark and power maybe reduced when the satellite eclipsed once a night with aging.

The "link budget" also varies with Symbol rate and FEC. Higher Symbol Rate or Lower FEC needs more dish (more signal) for same power.
    Astra 2D is all SR 22000 @ FEC 5/6
    Eurobird is all SR 27000 @ FEC 2/3
    So for SAME power received Eurobird needs bigger dish

For Astra 2B recommended sizes are
    52dBW 45-50cm
    50dBW 50-60cm
    49dBW 55-65cm

Eurobird (worst)
    eb1_fixed.gif

Astra 2A (North & South)
    astra2a_north.gif
    astra2a_south.gif

Astra2B North & South
    astra2b_north.gif
    astra2b_south.gif

Astra2D (Best)
    astra2d.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

Sorry if this is a bit off the topic, but I am just about to get Sky+ in an upstairs bedroom. I was wondering do i need to have a telephone wire going into the back of my Sky+ box if its upstairs or can i still use the Sky+ box without the telephone connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 granty-baby

Hi All,
    I have a question. I am thinking of getting sky multiroom and was wondering if I get 2 boxes can I use one in my holiday home in Wicklow that has a sky sat dish or do sky know if the boxes are not in the same location? If my plan work's I could save a lot of money and time bringing my box back and forth from Dublin to Wicklow.
    Has anyone tryied this before??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi All,
    I have a question. I am thinking of getting sky multiroom and was wondering if I get 2 boxes can I use one in my holiday home in Wicklow that has a sky sat dish or do sky know if the boxes are not in the same location? If my plan work's I could save a lot of money and time bringing my box back and forth from Dublin to Wicklow.
    Has anyone tryied this before??
    It has to be connected to your home telephone so unless you have an awfully long extension cable for the phone you will be found out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

muffler wrote: »
    It has to be connected to your home telephone so unless you have an awfully long extension cable for the phone you will be found out

The guy who installed my sky box told me that it's crazy to leave the sky box attached to the phone as they can be hit my lightening in the same way that a modem etc can. As a result I've never left my phone cable plugged in and I've never had any trouble with it. Is it usual that they'll kick up a fuss over you not plugging it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭muffler

chilly wrote: »
    The guy who installed my sky box told me that it's crazy to leave the sky box attached to the phone as they can be hit my lightening in the same way that a modem etc can. As a result I've never left my phone cable plugged in and I've never had any trouble with it. Is it usual that they'll kick up a fuss over you not plugging it in?
    I believe they are fairly strict on this point. Others will probably confirm this. I can only post of my own experience when I had the standard digibox and kept the phone unplugged and there wasnt a word about it. However when i upgraded to multiroom and did the same I started to get the letters advising me that if the phone wasnt connected Id have to pay the full price of the second box.

You should though unplug it if there is a storm or if on holiday. It calls home a few times a month at random times.

Multiroom uses it to make sure you are not cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 granty-baby

muffler wrote: »

Thanks for all the info lads. I was on to sky last week and asked the man in the Cork call centre lots of questions and he sussed what I was planning to do. He told me it will work for a max of 3-4 Months after which the box will no longer be able to receive a signal if the designated phone line is not connected. This is designed to stop people taking boxes to Spain etc.

:mad:

Granty-baby

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sky HD+ recently switched to a single feed?
    Then you will not receive any signal until you reset yourbox from a dual feed to a single feed setup..
    Switching the Single Feed Mode to 'ON'
    1. Ensure that the satellite cable is connected to Dish Input 1 on the back of your Sky+HD box, and that the Sky+HD box is not currently recording.
    2. Press services on your Sky+HD remote control.
    3. Highlight the Settings menu using the right arrow button.
    4. Highlight the Picture tab by pressing the down arrow button once.
    5. Press 0, 1 and select.
    6. The Setup tab will be highlighted within the Installer menu.
    7. Press select and use the down arrow to highlight Single Feed Mode within this menu.
    8. Using the right arrow button, change this setting to On.
    9. Press the green button when you're done.
    - The on screen message (OSM) "Single Feed Mode – Caution" will then be displayed. This will take a few minutes to complete. Pressing select will reboot your Sky+, and current recordings will be stopped. It will then mean you can only record one programme at a time, and Anytime will be unavailable. Press select to continue or backup to cancel.
    10. Press select to continue, and your Sky+HD box will be rebooted.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

slave1 wrote: »
    Sky HD+ recently switched to a single feed?
    Then you will not receive any signal until you reset yourbox from a dual feed to a single feed setup..
    Switching the Single Feed Mode to 'ON'
    1. Ensure that the satellite cable is connected to Dish Input 1 on the back of your Sky+HD box, and that the Sky+HD box is not currently recording.
    2. Press services on your Sky+HD remote control.
    3. Highlight the Settings menu using the right arrow button.
    4. Highlight the Picture tab by pressing the down arrow button once.
    5. Press 0, 1 and select.
    6. The Setup tab will be highlighted within the Installer menu.
    7. Press select and use the down arrow to highlight Single Feed Mode within this menu.
    8. Using the right arrow button, change this setting to On.
    9. Press the green button when you're done.
    - The on screen message (OSM) "Single Feed Mode – Caution" will then be displayed. This will take a few minutes to complete. Pressing select will reboot your Sky+, and current recordings will be stopped. It will then mean you can only record one programme at a time, and Anytime will be unavailable. Press select to continue or backup to cancel.
    10. Press select to continue, and your Sky+HD box will be rebooted.

Indeed, good info.

When I cancelled my Sky subscription and got a Freesat HDR, I put my Sky HD box in another room as a FTA box with a single feed. I had awful trouble getting it work correctly with the new EPG until I realised that this was added with the new EPG. Anyway, all works fine now.

Just one thing to note, the single feed must go into "input 1" at the rear as when doing this it seems to disable the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭canine

My sky plus box has stopped working ,will sky replace this free or do I have to pay ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

If you are still within your 12 month contract, they should replace the box for free. If not then check out adverts.ie or eBay and see what you can pick up and swap it out yourself, it's just a matter of unplugging the lead, scart and feeds and replugging them into the new box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

What happens if you decide to get rid of a landline phone? We are thinking of it, but will sky+ stop working or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

#15 wrote: »
    What happens if you decide to get rid of a landline phone? We are thinking of it, but will sky+ stop working or what?

no, as long as you dont have multiroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

I currently have a Silvercrest STB, (bought in Lidl) which works fine.
    I'd like to get a HD stb though, so

1. Which is a good, reliable box to buy, doesn't need to be top of the range, and

2. Where can I buy it?

(hope this is in the right thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Civil Servant

Hi, I had a Sky subscription and had to cancel it due to hard times and all the levies.
    Can I just purchase a FTA box on ebay and connect it up to my sky dish easily and get the reg english channels?
    Can my current sky box be reconfigure to recieve FTA channels?

Is there any difference between the €40 boxes on ebay, and will they all work here in Ireland?

Any info greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Can my current sky box be reconfigure to recieve FTA channels?

Just turn off the power and remove the Sky card - turn on your Sky box and you should get all the Uk channels. You can add Five to your "Other Channels". You pay Sky one month in advance, so you should have all your normal subscription for up to 30 days after you cancel Sky.

Did Sky make an offer ? - friends of mine were offered standard Sky package including Irish channels for less than half price for 6 months.

There are lots of threads on this - you shouldn't need to buy a new box on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Kwekubo wrote: »
    Here's a small one one I just worked out for myself ;) : if you've set your set-top box to receive UK channels and are getting some but not others, consult your TV listings - certain channels only operate in the evenings etc and you might have tuned in before/after broadcasting hours.
    i have ceased my subscription with sky
    what can i do now
    are there any other providers out there,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Thanks for all the info lads. I was on to sky last week and asked the man in the Cork call centre lots of questions and he sussed what I was planning to do. He told me it will work for a max of 3-4 Months after which the box will no longer be able to receive a signal if the designated phone line is not connected. This is designed to stop people taking boxes to Spain etc.

thanks for that
    i wondered why we had to have phone lines attached
    now another question
    can one get some other way of rigging up phone line, other than the wire going around the house if it is two rooms away from sky, it is a nusance
    help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

goat2 wrote: »

thanks for that
    i wondered why we had to have phone lines attached
    now another question
    can one get some other way of rigging up phone line, other than the wire going around the house if it is two rooms away from sky, it is a nusance
    help

why do you want a phone line to a sky box without a sub?

a phone line is only required for multiroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Here's a great site I used to find out satellite locations without a satfinder-type tool;
    http://www.dishpointer.com/

Quite accurate and I get a great reception now!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rollypolly

Hi, Just wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to show Sky free view on a commercial premises in Ireland :confused: Small businness wishing to get rid of SKY base package as we cannot justify the cost. SKY are not willing to negotiate as they have a monopoly on this, why would they!!

• Advertisement

You mean Freesat?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement