Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Leitrim are very weak this year.....the word on the ground is that they are fearful enough going to Ruislip but even getting over that they simply will not compete with Mayo in a Conn semi IMO. The winner of a Ros/galway semi will test Mayo i'd say, but win or lose connacht they will be a good bet for a semi final place come august depending on the draw.

Can't Judge Leitrim on league form if you did they wouldn't have beaten Sligo away last year however it would be a major shock if they were to win in Castlebar. Mayo have a poor record in the qualifiers i think they will need to win Connacht to reach the semi final again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Paracore wrote: »
    Will Mayo be sending any of their divers over to compete in the Olympics in London? Pretty embarrassing stuff from their players yesterday tbh

Just:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The poster above who mentioned that Mayo carry the ball into the tackle too much is spot on.

Too much good Mayo possession was squandered by them getting bogged down inside the 21 trying to find an angel to shoot

They need their forwards to shoot earlier, problem is they
    do not have the quality of forward to shoot from long range.

Andy Moran may be able to do it, but when it comes to it he is often out of position developing the play in the first place, a bit like McDonald used to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Paracore wrote: »
    Will Mayo be sending any of their divers over to compete in the Olympics in London? Pretty embarrassing stuff from their players yesterday tbh

No I think Aidan o Mahoney of Kerry has the honours there of representing Ireland.
    :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

The poster above who mentioned that Mayo carry the ball into the tackle too much is spot on.

Too much good Mayo possession was squandered by them getting bogged down inside the 21 trying to find an angel to shoot

They need their forwards to shoot earlier, problem is they
    do not have the quality of forward to shoot from long range.

Andy Moran may be able to do it, but when it comes to it he is often out of position developing the play in the first place, a bit like McDonald used to do

I think that might be a bit unfair. We only did that in the 2nd half when we were against a severe wind, no one was kicking points from long range into the hill Sunday, from either game.

In the first half I thought they were playing very well, moving it quickly inside and were either fouled or spun over a few decent points. Problem was in the 2nd half Cork stopped fouling (well the ref stopped giving them anyway :rolleyes:) and we had to try getting the ball in very close, where their size and strength stood to them!

To be honest it was out the field I thought they lost it too easily in the 2nd half, coming out at the back. Lot of stray hand passes, few spilled balls. I know conditions were bad but they should have adapted to them and paid the price.

Overall though I think it's been a productive league campaign for Mayo, and the fact they weren't beaten out the gate by Cork will hopefully mean they won't lose their momentum heading into championship, like 2 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

teednab-el wrote: »
    No I think Aidan o Mahoney of Kerry has the honours there of representing Ireland.
    :-D

Marty Boyle-Donegal will be a close contender too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Gael85 wrote: »
    Marty Boyle-Donegal will be a close contender too

And Barry Cahill for the Karate...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

I've always admired keith higgins as a footballer but i've been really impressed with his last two televised performances. The ideal corner back and an absolute nightmare for corner forwards. The corner back is probably the most unheralded and most unattractive position in gaelic football nowadays but he's making it sexy again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I think some of the old Mayo faillings came back to haunt them again.

The two O'Shes were a big loss at midfield, where Mayo could get their hands on nothing in the second half.

When playing Cork, you need all your big men.

Conor Mortimor is often too easily marked when he comes up against quality defenders. He's always good in Connacht but once he comes up against teams like Kerry in the AI, he's usually annonymous.

The wind screwed up the game anyways and the loss of O'She was a big factor.

Mayo at full strength and no strong wind, lashing rain, etc, in the middle of summer, would be a closer game, although you'd still have to favour Cork.

Cork looking very strong this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I think some of the old Mayo faillings came back to haunt them again.

The two O'Shes were a big loss at midfield, where Mayo could get their hands on nothing in the second half.

When playing Cork, you need all your big men.

Conor Mortimor is often too easily marked when he comes up against quality defenders. He's always good in Connacht but once he comes up against teams like Kerry in the AI, he's usually annonymous.

The wind screwed up the game anyways and the loss of O'She was a big factor.

Mayo at full strength and no strong wind, lashing rain, etc, in the middle of summer, would be a closer game, although you'd still have to favour Cork.

Cork looking very strong this year.

Lololol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Syferus wrote: »
    Lololol.

Got a problem with that? Clearly you haven't seen him play against Kerry in the All Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Just a quick question lads. Are we traveling to New York in 2013?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ChocolateChip

Rawhead wrote: »

I think we played them in 2009 so I would think no, because we play them every 5 years. Unless of course, you would be planning on going over for the FBD final;)

Trying to plan you holidays early, I see?:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

That's even better. Start putting €50 a month away from now on. Just need to convince a few of the lads in these recessionary times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ChocolateChip

That's even better. Start putting €50 a month away from now on. Just need to convince a few of the lads in these recessionary times.

I admire your organisational skills! It costs too much to get a return flight to New York, I think. If I win the Lotto in the meantime though, God willing I'll be there 2014;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ye could just try to put in one solid year and get yereselves on the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I heard a rumour a couple of months ago, leitrim were due to go out to new york in 2013, but cannot afford to, so the mcb turned round and said that we would travel, instead of 2014, when we were due to go out there. If i hear anything deffinite, will post back here. We'll need time to start planning and saving:cool:

At last Mayo are ready to enter this years championship.

The two extra league games at least narrowed a gap a bit between league and Championship

Team is named
    Mayo (SFC v Leitrim) -- D Clarke; K Keane, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle; B Moran, D Geraghty; K McLoughlin, C O'Connor, A Dillon; A Freeman, A Moran, J Doherty.

Anyone know how Aidan O' Shea is doing and when he may be back ?

Interesting article here in the Independent by Breheny
    SUCH are the anomalies in the format of the All-Ireland football championship that Mayo exited the 2010 All-Ireland championships on June 26, but, two years on, they won't even join the Connacht race until June 24.
    Their late arrival is one the inconsistencies in a championship system where Meath and Longford have already played three times, while eight other counties have had two [COLOR=#009900 !important]games[/COLOR] each.
    Not that it concerns Mayo, who knew from last October that mid-summer's day would have passed before they began their bid to retain the Connacht title for the first time since 1997.
    And since they are 1/80 favourites to beat Leitrim in the semi-[COLOR=#009900 !important]final[/COLOR] in Castlebar on Sunday and 2/7 favourites to win the Connacht title, their supporters are already looking forward to a trip to Croke Park on the first weekend in August for an All-Ireland quarter-final test.
    Mayo's short-term optimism is based on a number of encouraging factors, not least that they have lost only three times to Leitrim in Connacht history and only once to Sligo in the final.
    Add in Mayo's extended run in the Allianz League which took them to the Division 1 final and it's easy to understand why hopes are so high in the county that a return to Croke Park is virtually a done deal.
    So, with all the other All-Ireland contenders having shown their hand, how do Mayo stand up to a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) test as they head into Championship 2012.
    STRENGTHS
    1 They have been in Division 1 of the NFL for 14 successive seasons, something no other county has achieved.
    They may have won only one title in that period (2001), but their consistency in the group games has been remarkably solid. That should always be a good starting base for the championship.
    2 They have gained valuable experience in Croke Park in recent years. They may have mixed the good with the bad, but they will have learned from it all. Better to know the Croke Park experience than try to visualise it.
    3 They have as many natural footballers as any county and a whole lot more than most. When their game is going well, they play a highly productive game and are difficult to counteract.
    4 They've added a steely edge to their game which wasn't always there.
    5 On their day, they are capable of beating any county. Indeed, top All-Ireland contenders, Dublin, Cork and Tyrone all lost to Mayo in the championship over the last eight years, a treble success which not even Kerry managed.
    Mayo beat Kerry in this year's league semi-final in Croke Park, which will be a further boost to their confidence.
    WEAKNESSES
    1The burden of history. Mayo always insist it doesn't bother them, but 61 years without an All-Ireland senior title (1951) for a county that had won four up to then must have a corrosive effect.
    2Croke Park and big final syndrome. Mayo have won only once (2001 NFL) from their last 12 appearances in All-Ireland and NFL finals. A dreadful record which scarcely inspires confidence.
    3Midfield. Mayo are not as well equipped in that general area as the other major All-Ireland contenders.
    4Lack of real hard-edge tests in Connacht. If Mayo beat Leitrim and Sligo, they will be up against opposition who will have met Division 1 and/or 2 opposition in the All-Ireland quarter-final. It could be a big step up. Connacht has fallen behind the other three provinces, which is damaging to all western ambitions.
    5Failure to deliver under real pressure. Mayo have regularly failed to do themselves justice on big days. What trips the doubt switch when things begin to go wrong during games at the business end of the championship?
    OPPORTUNITIES
    1 Mayo face Division 4 opponents (Leitrim) in the Connacht semi and, if they win, will meet Sligo, who wintered in Division 3. It makes Mayo the envy of all their peers in the other provinces.
    2Their extended league campaign means that the late start to the championship is no disadvantage. On the contrary, it has enabled Mayo to plan the season to perfection.
    3It's generally expected that Mayo will win Connacht, allowing them to arrive in the All-Ireland quarter-finals under the radar, which is a plus.
    4The long wait for an All-Ireland win can be harnessed positively. Donegal, Derry, Armagh and Tyrone won All-Irelands for the first time over the last 20 years. It proves that a breakthrough is always possible if all the jigsaw pieces are slotted together properly.
    5No dominant force in the land. There's little enough to choose between the main All-Ireland contenders, presenting Mayo with every chance to assert themselves.
    THREATS
    1Complacency in Connacht. James Horan will have worked hard to counteract it, but Mayo supporters assume the two-in-a-row is secure. If that seeps through to the players, it could be dangerous. Leitrim won't be strong enough to exploit it, but Sligo might. Failing to win the Connacht title would wreck Mayo's All-Ireland prospects.
    2Post League final trauma. Mayo ran dismal championship campaigns after being league runners-up in 2007 and 2010. Also, none of the last 10 league runners-up have won the All-Ireland.
    3Perception among strong opposition. Until such time as Mayo win an All-Ireland title, the major powers will always believe they can outwit them on the big day.
    4Hype. It won't flare up if Mayo win Connacht, but if they reach an All-Ireland final, it could become corrosive as it did on occasions in the past.
    5Recent Connacht history. Mayo won provincial titles in 1999-2004-2006-2009, but were beaten in the next years.
    - Martin Breheny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Dublin were league runners-up last year and went on to win the AI title. So that's one less 'threat'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 goodnightfrome

Anyone know of any links available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Breheny trying to out-do even his own previous efforts in terms of factual inaccuracies, lazy stereotyping and ridiculous assumptions I see.

Lovely lad he is, we pay him good coin to wind up the Mayo cuckoo clock. ;)

Breheny trying to out-do even his own previous efforts in terms of factual inaccuracies, lazy stereotyping and ridiculous assumptions I see.

"The burden of history. Mayo always insist it doesn't bother them, but 61 years without an All-Ireland senior title (1951) for a county that had won four up to then must have a corrosive effect."

That's one inaccuracy what else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

"The burden of history. Mayo always insist it doesn't bother them, but 61 years without an All-Ireland senior title (1951) for a county that had won four up to then must have a corrosive effect."

I think he's letting us have the '96 one, he's a sound man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

"Also, none of the last 10 league runners-up have won the All-Ireland."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

At last Mayo are ready to enter this years championship.

The two extra league games at least narrowed a gap a bit between league and Championship

Team is named
    Mayo (SFC v Leitrim) -- D Clarke; K Keane, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle; B Moran, D Geraghty; K McLoughlin, C O'Connor, A Dillon; A Freeman, A Moran, J Doherty.

Anyone know how Aidan O' Shea is doing and when he may be back ?

Interesting article here in the Independent by Breheny
    Very balanced article there.

Eugene McGee should take note for the next time he decides to write about Mayo football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

any one know where the connaught final will be??iam thinking roscommon

naughto wrote: »
    any one know where the connaught final will be??iam thinking roscommon

I believe it is already pencilled in for Castlebar.

Mayo last played Sligo was 2010 in Sligo thus it's Castlebar this time.

But don't quote me on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Due to an agreement between the Mayo/Sligo County Boards it's due to be played at a neutral venue...in this case either Pearse Stadium or Hyde Park. Mayo have the choice although I've heard they're hoping Sligo will agree to McHale Park if they're offered a bigger slice of the gate takings

Barlett wrote: »
    Due to an agreement between the Mayo/Sligo County Boards it's due to be played at a neutral venue...in this case either Pearse Stadium or Hyde Park. Mayo have the choice although I've heard they're hoping Sligo will agree to McHale Park if they're offered a bigger slice of the gate takings

Interesting, I never knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

The reason is, Sligo's ground isn't big enough to host a Connaught final so that's why the 2010 decider between Sligo and Roscommon was played in Castlebar. Similarly when Mayo played Sligo in the 1997 final it was played at Hyde Park

i cant see sligo letting it being played in castlebar it would be great for me if it was

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In the Hyde on 15th July.

yop wrote: »
    we went there in the pi1ssing rain last year i cant see why cant do it again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    we went there in the pi1ssing rain last year i cant see why cant do it again

Prefer the sun myself :D

Hi yop,

Not that I don't believe you or anything but is there any link to that info, can not find anything on the interweb.

I'd prefer Castlebar or Galway myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Hi yop,

Not that I don't believe you or anything but is there any link to that info, can not find anything on the interweb.

I'd prefer Castlebar or Galway myself :)

Surely Sligo would bring it to the Hyde? They technically have home advantage don't they?

Yop- is that confirmed?

It won't be in Castlebar that's for sure!

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Surely Sligo would bring it to the Hyde? They technically have home advantage don't they?

Yop- is that confirmed?

It won't be in Castlebar that's for sure!

Well I'd certainly expect Hyde Park to be Sligo's preferred option but I am not sure they have any 'home advantage' here.

The last game between the two in June 2010 was played in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Time to give them a hyding in that case :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Its Mayo's turn to pick the venue. Previous rules say they can't pick Castlebar - has to be either the Hyde or Salthill. But Salthill is a long trek for Sligo fans and there are concerns that Hyde Park is no longer of a standard capable of hosting a Connacht Final - a health and safety report from last year has limited its capacity to 18,000 - not enough for this game.

So there are stories going around that Castlebar is being reconsidered, although at this stage it could be any of the three grounds.

• Advertisement

The Hyde just needed some minor work in the off-season; the capacity is back up again.

I'd imagine the Mayo selection board would try to play up that angle (hence the non-decision at last night's meeting) in the hopes of playing it in Castlebar but I doubt Sligo will be that easily swindled into playing in Mayo's backyard.

iam hoping that if they get a bigger slice of the gate takings like some poster said that they will,they can take all the gate taking for all i care all we want is t he cup which i expect us to get :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JamieKennedy

it on 21st july according to coonacht gaa fixtures hered the link for it

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlJ8LGc5FgzmdGFvTVpPOUtkSVduelItMmE0a2VyeEE#gid=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlJ8LGc5FgzmdGFvTVpPOUtkSVduelItMmE0a2VyeEE#gid=0

Its hardly on a Saturday?

Well that is not very reliable where ever it came from, the 21st is a Saturday too by the way.

the independent also published a fixture list a few weeks ago that put it down as the 22nd.

the official GAA website has it the 15th and Venue TBC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I hope for a good entertaining game and the more competitive the better.

Hopefully Mayo come out on Top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JamieKennedy

dont shoot the messenger i google around and found this and yeah it cant be on saturday but hey dont forget champion league football change to saturday so why cant gaa do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

15th july in Castlebar (probably)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

The 21st (Saturday) is the replay date if necessary. The Connacht final is the 15th of July (Sunday).

• Advertisement

It clearly says on that 15th July & replay 21st of July.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement