Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission - Front of House

Options
  • 14-10-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭

Getting Sky installed at the end of the month. The dish is most likely going to be installed on the front of the house (based on other dishes on the road). I am aware I need planning permission to do this. However, I cannot find any information on how to actually apply. Can anyone list out what I need to do or point me in the direction of the information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

don't apply, just put it up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bren2001 wrote: »
    Getting Sky installed at the end of the month. The dish is most likely going to be installed on the front of the house (based on other dishes on the road). I am aware I need planning permission to do this. However, I cannot find any information on how to actually apply. Can anyone list out what I need to do or point me in the direction of the information?
    If Sky is being installed in a couple of weeks then you would either have to forget about the planning permission for now as it will take 3 months to get sorted or else defer the installation until after PP has been granted.

All I can say in relation to satellite dishes and planning permission is that even though you need permission to attach a dish to the front of a house very, very few people bother about it and it's one of those little things that most if not all Planning Authorities tend to turn a blind eye to.

But if you were determined to look for permission then you would be better off asking the question in the Construction & Planning forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭bren2001

Thanks, I was hoping there was a shorter application process for the satellite. I was wrong. Seems like a lot of work.

Hopefully the dish can be installed on the back of the house. I've a small extension out the back (see image, arrow is the general direction satellite needs to point), hopefully it can be installed there. Would need a bracket to get around the gutter tho. If not, Ill put it on the front and apply for planning after. May as well have it fully legal. Another thing for the ever growing list....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I wonder has anyone in this country ever applied for permission to erect a satellite dish? Or ever been asked to remove one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Thurston? wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone in this country ever applied for permission to erect a satellite dish? Or ever been asked to remove one?

Bookies have to apply and generally do get pp

and in addition one dish only is permitted on a dwelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

kooga wrote: »

and in addition one dish only is permitted on a dwelling.

I'd hazard a guess the amount of non-business users that apply is close to zero, if not actually zero, no matter how many dishes they have.

you would be surprised................how many do apply

Thanks, I was hoping there was a shorter application process for the satellite. I was wrong. Seems like a lot of work.

Hopefully the dish can be installed on the back of the house. I've a small extension out the back (see image, arrow is the general direction satellite needs to point), hopefully it can be installed there. Would need a bracket to get around the gutter tho. If not, Ill put it on the front and apply for planning after. May as well have it fully legal. Another thing for the ever growing list....
    Cant help you with the positioning of the dish but whoever you get to carry out the work would sort it for you.

If you get a standard dish fixed at the rear of the house then you wont need planning. If you have to go to the front of the house with it then you do, as stated earlier, need PP but its something that most people dont bother with and similarly the PA's dont bother either....unless the house was a protected structure.

Very few I would think apply for PP and I've never heard or read of any dishes having to be removed but that doesn't say that it hasnt happened somewhere though.

Yes. I only ever made one application for PP for a dish and that was for a bookmakers premises.

you would be surprised................how many do apply
    Im in Donegal and I would be very surprised if there was more than 5 applications made here over the last 10 years. I base that on reading the planning notices in the local newspapers and also trawling through the Councils website on a regular basis. Leaving bookies aside I dont recall ever seeing a PP application for a dish on a private house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Check with your neighbours on the road, they'll be sure to all have gotten proper planning permission.

If they don't know then the Sky installer guy will definitely know

• Advertisement

Just for anyone who is interested in the legal position regarding dishes (and aerials) being exempt from planning. The details can be viewed here - Class 4, Part 1, Schedule 2 of the 2001 Planning & Development Regulations is the relevant section and the relevant details are below.
    CLASS 4
    (a) The erection of a wireless or television antenna, other than a satellite television signal receiving antenna, on the roof of a house.

The height of the antenna above the roof of the house shall not exceed 6 metres.

(b) The erection on or within the curtilage of a house, of a dish type antenna used for the receiving and transmitting of signals from satellites.

1. Not more than one such antenna shall be erected on, or within the curtilage of a house.

2. The diameter of any such antenna shall not exceed 1 metre.

3. No such antenna shall be erected on, or forward of, the front wall of the house.

4. No such antenna shall be erected on the front roof slope of the house or higher than the highest part of the roof of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

A few years ago every satellite company in Cork received a letter fro the planning department of the City Council, stating the planning rules as detailed above.
    However, as far as I know, there has been no enforcement whatsoever and an increasing number of dishes o the front elevation.
    A pity , as it is usually relatively simple and not much more expensive to put a dish on pole and T&K brackets or swan-neck bracket at back of house

Sky contract installers just usually want to get the job done as easily and quickly as possible and often just have standard dishes and brackets in the van .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The Cush wrote: »

the dish behind the plant will struggle to get a signal.:D

irishgeo wrote: »
    the dish behind the plant will struggle to get a signal.:D
    Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

What county do you live in op, different Co Co have different planning laws in regards to this.
    In some counties as long as your dish is under 1m in diameter you don't need planning permission

looks like i'm in trouble with cork city council!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭bren2001

What county do you live in op, different Co Co have different planning laws in regards to this.
    In some counties as long as your dish is under 1m in diameter you don't need planning permission

Dublin City Council. My understanding for almost all CC is that the dish must be under 1m and not on the front of the house otherwise PP is required. I'll most likely wait on the install, hopefully get it out the back where no PP is required. If it has to go out front I will apply for it. I can do all that myself, I can sign off on the drawings. I just need to figure out the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yep I think that may be the case for Dublin CC, but I know in the midland counties it can be on the front of the house as long as it's under 1m

Yep I think that may be the case for Dublin CC, but I know in the midland counties it can be on the front of the house as long as it's under 1m
    The 2001 P & D Regulations and the exemptions contained therein are statutory and apply to every county in Ireland. It is wrong to suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement

looks like i'm in trouble with cork city council!
    Why would you be in trouble?

2 dishes!

Happened back in 2004 with Galway City Council and Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=158226

Advertisement