Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fines for front of house dishes..back in the news

Options
  • 04-05-2004 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

From today's Irish Examiner...
    Satellite dish owners face heavy fines

By Michael Brennan
    HOUSE owners who place satellite dishes on the front of their homes are being threatened with large fines for breaking planning rules.
    In Galway, the city council has sent warning letters to 22 households, while Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council has told its tenants planning permission is required for a dish.

Planners believe satellite dishes can harm the character and appearance of an area if they are badly sited.

The penalty for breaching the regulations is a fine of up to €12.7 million and €12,700 for every day

the dish remains.

Galway City Council said it does not want a proliferation of satellite dishes on the front of houses.

"We're bringing the issue to people's attention and we give them four weeks to address it," said Galway City Council director of planning Ciarán Hayes.

House owners are legally allowed to install a satellite dish at the rear of their house, as long as it does not exceed one metre in diameter and have more than one antenna. Most of the people contacted by Galway city council have agreed to relocate the satellite dishes.

Local authorities have experienced more problems recently because Sky Ireland is attracting more customers with aggressive marketing techniques and has increased its number of subscribers from 220,000 three years ago to 315,000.

"Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the relevant consents have been obtained, the responsibility lies with the customer," a Sky spokesman said

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Hope Roscommon County Council aint as bad I have a 1metre dish sat right on the very front of one of the side walls. theres an 80cm going up beside it as well in the next few weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭sharkboy

12.7 million euro fine are you sure thats not a misprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭dosfromclare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PK - the king

€12.7 million? :eek: I'm sure that means that Galway Co. Co. could EARN UP TO €12.7 million from the fines. Imagine if they start slapping out €12.7million fines to every person in Galway? Imagine the uproar!!! Most people place satellite dishes on the front because that's the way the satellite faces!

I also notice they say nothing about chorus or Irish broadband mmds or even rte aerials... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PK - the king

€12.7m can't be right. No-one could ever pay that sort of money!!! Sure, aren't people building houses and shopping centres without planning permission, and they'd be very rare to have to pay a fine of over €200,000!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I think the fine is the maximum allowed under the law. This would be probably levied on a major corporation who is in serious breach. You'll probably fine that there are a min/max fine for different types of infringement.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yep, 12.7m is the most you can be fined for an unauthorised development in court. The 12,700 fine then kicks in for each and every day the development remains after the order for its removal/demolition.

Read a piece in the Galway City Tribune about this a few weeks ago, the guy from the Council said that average fines for unauthorised developments (such as signage) are €1,500 to €2,000 plus costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sounds like another money making scheme by local authoritys! Perhaps to pay for the "Pigs ear" of an attempt to re vamp Eyre Square here in Galway! The best one yet is I have just moved into a new house where there is a private bin collection, The corporation have written to me to return 3 bins I don't even have, other wise I will have to pay for them!

Advertisement