Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best post workout foods?

• 08-02-2015 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

What are the best foods to eat post workout? I know food high in protein should be eaten but what foods? Also what should be put into a protein smoothie? I want to have a go at making my own as I don't trust protein powders etc. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 n1ckmayb1

almond milk, frozen berries, almond butter, 1 and a half scoops of protein (choc or vanilla), spirilina, chia seeds, raw cacoa, acai powder

it turns into ice cream, it is delicious, look forward to it every day.

throw it all into the nutribullet when I get home from the gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I don't trust protein powders etc.

Any particular reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What are the best foods to eat post workout?
    That depends on the workout, the goals, and the individual.
    I want to have a go at making my own as I don't trust protein powders etc.

Why don't you trust them? It's just food.
    It's not impossible to make a decent protein shake without powder, but its unnecessarily awkwards

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

I like ON Gold Standard 100% Whey chocolate flavour. I often add a little cinnamon, cayenne or instant coffee. It's satisfying, high protein and sweet, all of which I want after a workout.

Chocolate milk is a very popular option, if you're less concerned about calories, or you could eat a packet of tuna.
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2014/jul/09/secret-powers-chocolate-milk-mo-farah-runners

It all depends on how much workout, weights/cardio ratio and whether you want to gain or lose weight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Eat a banana and have some eggwhites in a shaker.

You can get them cheaply from www.bulkpowders.ie

You don't need fancy training matrixes and alfafa shoots or expensive whey blends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

What are the best foods to eat post workout? I know food high in protein should be eaten but what foods? Also what should be put into a protein smoothie? I want to have a go at making my own as I don't trust protein powders etc. Thanks

Eat the same foods you would eat pre-workout. It makes no difference really what you eat after working out unless you are operating at an elite level, and even then it makes only a small difference.

Protein powders are just dried milk. If you cant get your protein into you in real foods they are the easiest and cheapest way to consume protein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

Mellor wrote:
    Why don't you trust them? It's just food. It's not impossible to make a decent protein shake without powder, but its unnecessarily awkwards

mainly because I don't know for sure what's in them and also because I want the challenge of reaching my goals without performance enhancing powders or anythig , just through hard work and dedication

mainly because I don't know for sure what's in them and also because I want the challenge of reaching my goals without performance enhancing powders or anythig , just through hard work and dedication

You know 100% what is in them as it will be listed on the label. Its likely they contain mainly protein. A protein shake is performance enhancing in much the same way a breast of chicken is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Ive been cheating all this time...

Ive been cheating all this time...

that's not my point, if you want to use protein and other performance enhancing foods or other that's up to you and good luck to you but I made the decision not to.. just a personal thing

• Advertisement

that's not my point, if you want to use protein and other performance enhancing foods or other that's up to you and good luck to you but I made the decision not to.. just a personal thing

Protein is not a performance enhancing food. Protein is a food.

Its going to be a long hard road without imposing rules like this on yourself, I'd like to specifically know what makes it a performance enhancing food, rather than eating steak or chicken? I don't think you have all the facts here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Protein is a nutrient.

The most common powder is made from whey, a by-product of the cheese-making process.

Whey protein is just a convenient way of getting protein on board.

It's the equivalent of buying orange juice instead of a crate of oranges that you want to squeeze.

It's not necessary but if you don't get enough protein on board, it's handier and often just easier than eating a lot of food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

scrambled egg
    banana
    some sort of electrolyte tablet in water

Protein is not a performance enhancing food. Protein is a food.

I'm talking about protein powders!

I'm talking about protein powders!

With respect, you do not seem to understand what you are talking about. Protein powders are basically dried milk and are not performance enhancing. You might as well decide not to eat chicken.

With respect, you do not seem to understand what you are talking about. Protein powders are basically dried milk and are not performance enhancing. You might as well decide not to eat chicken.

no disrespect meant but I don't want to get into the whole argument of what performance enhancing foods are.. I just want advice on what foods to eat post workout to reach maximum potential without the need for protein powders. I have no problem with chicken or other foods that contain protein I just choose not to use powders

no disrespect meant but I don't want to get into the whole argument of what performance enhancing foods are.. I just want advice on what foods to eat post workout to reach maximum potential without the need for protein powders. I have no problem with chicken or other foods that contain protein I just choose not to use powders

There is no argument , whatever you think they are, they are not.
    I take it you have the same view on essential amino acid powders, creatine, caffeine ,BCAAs, dextrose powder ,oats, Any kind of vitamin tablet ?

papu wrote:
    There is no argument , whatever you think they are, they are not. I take it you have the same view on essential amino acid powders, creatine, caffeine ,BCAAs, dextrose powder ,oats, Any kind of vitamin tablet ?

You must remember this Is a personal decision/opinion , in not trying to influence anyone elses opinion. let me reword this: I would like to know what NATURAL foods are best to eat post workout. I would like to receive my nutrients from natural means rather than manufactured means

You must remember this Is a personal decision/opinion , in not trying to influence anyone elses opinion. let me reword this: I would like to know what NATURAL foods are best to eat post workout. I would like to receive my nutrients from natural means rather than manufactured means

Cows manufacture whey. It's perfectly natural.

Little Miss Muffet
    Sat on a tuffet,
    Eating of curds and whey;

That was 1805..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I would suggest eating a banana, mars/snickers bar and a protein shake if you've done a good cardio and or weights work out.

My reasoning is that you're getting pretty much everything you need from this post exercise - protein for muscle repair/growth, fast carbs and potassium from the banana and some sugar and fats from the snickers which will perk you up.

I normally eat this straight after a session as you should be eating / taking in something within an hour of training. Normally I'd have this and have a meal within two hours of this to make sure I'm getting what I need.

papu wrote:
    Cows manufacture whey. It's perfectly natural.

well what natural foods contain whey?

well what natural foods contain whey?

Raw Milk....

D'Agger wrote:
    I normally eat this straight after a session as you should be eating / taking in something within an hour of training. Normally I'd have this and have a meal within two hours of this to make sure I'm getting what I need.

D'Agger wrote:
    My reasoning is that you're getting pretty much everything you need from this post exercise - protein for muscle repair/growth, fast carbs and potassium from the banana and some sugar and fats from the snickers which will perk you up.

D'Agger wrote:
    I would suggest eating a banana, mars/snickers bar and a protein shake if you've done a good cardio and or weights work out.

Thanks I'll definitely give it a go, How much cardio would you suggest if your having a mars bar after?

Whey is natural. It doesn't matter post workout, what matters is your intake for the day. Dairy and meat/fish are good protein sources.

Thanks I'll definitely give it a go, How much cardio would you suggest if your having a mars bar after?

Why would you want to eat back your calories on carbs? What is your goal with your exercise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Why would you want to eat back your calories on carbs? What is your goal with your exercise?

Cheese with an apple andnuts. Simple and convenient

Don't dismiss whey and sign up for snickers bar while saying natural only...

D'Agger wrote: »

This is a myth. You have a lot longer to consume food, more like a day and a half.

This is a myth. You have a lot longer to consume food, more like a day and a half.

Is it?

My coach says that it's vitally important to eat a meal within 90 minutes of a hard workout. That if you don't, it can take up to 72 for your muscles to recover. I struggle to eat that soon after a long run, really struggle. I do take a recovery shake straight away though.

• Advertisement

Is it?

My coach says that it's vitally important to eat a meal within 90 minutes of a hard workout. That if you don't, it can take up to 72 for your muscles to recover. I struggle to eat that soon after a long run, really struggle. I do take a recovery shake straight away though.

Yes, common misconception/myth. Intake is elevated for a period after but its not necessary to horse food into you straight away. Only for elite athletes would it make even a small difference. You more than likely have nutrients in your system that are still being processed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PhineasPhreak

Is it?

I've read in places it's a myth, much like the 'eat six meals a day'.

It doesn't matter how often and what time you eat, once you eat.

Unless you're a performance athlete, do what works for you. If you need to reel it in you can look at timings etc. then.

I eat three meals per day. I don't count calories anymore, I don't worry about timings, I just eat good food three times a day.

I'm losing weight, I've more energy and I sleep better. Oh and I still eat bread. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I've read in places it's a myth, much like the 'eat six meals a day'.

It doesn't matter how often and what time you eat, once you eat.

Unless you're a performance athlete, do what works for you. If you need to reel it in you can look at timings etc. then.

I eat three meals per day. I don't count calories anymore, I don't worry about timings, I just eat good food three times a day.

I'm losing weight, I've more energy and I sleep better. Oh and I still eat bread. :)

Without getting off topic, while I agree that calories are calories, I think that the number of meals does make a difference.

If you have all your calories in one early meal (no matter how big), you'll still feel hungry in the evening. It makes sense to spread your calories across the day to avoid getting hungry and over eating.

If three meals work for you, stick to it (and congrats!) but I think there's a lot to be said for smaller more regular meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I would like to receive my nutrients from natural means rather than manufactured means
    D'Agger wrote: »
    mars/snickers bar
    Thanks I'll definitely give it a go

seems-legit.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Yes, common misconception/myth. Intake is elevated for a period after but its not necessary to horse food into you straight away. Only for elite athletes would it make even a small difference. You more than likely have nutrients in your system that are still being processed anyway.

It's important to replenish glycogen after an endurance workout. Especially if training next day. This isn't a myth.

It's important to replenish glycogen after an endurance workout. Especially if training next day. This isn't a myth.

This is exactly the myth I was referring to.

• Advertisement

So, I train aerobically for 90 minutes. I do not refuel. I have a session 12 hours later. Or indeed I may have a session 3 hours later.

My performance on this second session is not impaired? What do you propose a body burns?

So, I train aerobically for 90 minutes. I do not refuel. I have a session 12 hours later. Or indeed I may have a session 3 hours later.

My performance on this second session is not impaired? What do you propose a body burns?

Glycogen replenishment will continue from fuel currently in your system. This myth was debunked ages ago. If you'd like to put forward evidence that goes against something that is commonly known and accepted on this forum then the onus is on you.

That presupposes an adequate supply of carbs in system. So it's a myth if I get my 600 grams of carbs in before my first session. Most people will fuel, then use then refuel.

Finding it hard to believe that refuelling between sessions is deemed unnecessary now tbh. The wisdom on here notwithstanding.

That presupposes an adequate supply of carbs in system. So it's a myth if I get my 600 grams of carbs in before my first session. Most people will fuel, then use then refuel.

Finding it hard to believe that refuelling between sessions is deemed unnecessary now tbh. The wisdom on here notwithstanding.

Yes, it presupposes your system is not empty - I.e you are not dead. Refuelling is necessary, the window however is larger then 30/90 minutes.

So I'm training six days a week, obviously some of which are harder than others. I take a recover shake after my hard days, and I just eat my meals at my normal times?

I haven't been eating enough the past week, which has had hindered my training.

• Advertisement

Yes, it presupposes your system is not empty - I.e you are not dead. Refuelling is necessary, the window however is larger then 30/90 minutes.

Why do endurance athletes take fuel on board during training n which case?

I'm not talking about a magic muscle building anabolic window just to be clear. I'm talking about having the gas to complete a session. And a subsequent session and so on.

So I'm training six days a week, obviously some of which are harder than others. I take a recover shake after my hard days, and I just eat my meals at my normal times?

Sure, if that works for you then do it. The larger issue you face is not eating enough, not the times you eat at.

Why do endurance athletes take fuel on board during training n which case?

I'm not talking about a magic muscle building anabolic window just to be clear. I'm talking about having the gas to complete a session. And a subsequent session and so on.

As per my earlier post elite althetes will receive some benefit but the window timing importance is hugely exaggerated

If you eat 600 carbs before your sessions, you aren't burning them during your session. You are burning glycogen stores. which can be refuel from the 600 calories you ate.

If there isn't enough carbs in your diet to do that with a normal eating pattern, then the issue isn't meal timing, its macro breakdown and/or total intake

How may people have 90 min aerobic session followed by another in a few hours. You are straying into elite athletes here who output demands require more meals to refuel.

But the underlying point still applies. If you are depleting glycogen in the first workout (not an easy task), intake early in the day is just as important as between workouts. Early should be loading, between should be something easily digested.

Mellor wrote: »

How may people have 90 min aerobic session followed by another in a few hours. You are straying into elite athletes here who output demands require more meals to refuel.

Not close to a few hours, but generally I'd run at night, get home at maybe 9 or 10, and would be in the gym at 6:30am, I wouldn't really have had anything to eat in between but would eat pretty soon after the gym then.

Anyway, way off topic, sorry. Protein is a food yes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Eat more.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Eat more.

Yep, i will, it's not a normal occurence. Just had an absolutely mental week and found it difficult to eat the food I had planned to eat :)

Not close to a few hours, but generally I'd run at night, get home at maybe 9 or 10, and would be in the gym at 6:30am, I wouldn't really have had anything to eat in between but would eat pretty soon after the gym then.

Anyway, way off topic, sorry. Protein is a food yes :D

How far are you running at night?
    whats your 6:30am session like?

I'd imagine that neither of these are close to depleting.
    So, as above, your intake over the whole day is the main concern, not the hours surrounding training specifically. You body will regular energy from food/glycogen/fat stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm off on hols but some interesting reading on this thread, will look to setup a thread on my diet & training when I get back as I'm playing GAA and the sessions games are intensive cardio so would like y'all to drop some knowledge on how I can improve things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yep, i will, it's not a normal occurence. Just had an absolutely mental week and found it difficult to eat the food I had planned to eat :)

Don't forget adequate recovery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement