Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercising with a chesty cough

Options
  • 04-02-2015 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if going to a vigourous exercise class is a terrible idea if one has a chesty cough? Both for my own sake and not infecting people around me... Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'd call it a bad plan yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Redser87 wrote: »
    Just wondering if going to a vigourous exercise class is a terrible idea if one has a chesty cough? Both for my own sake and not infecting people around me... Thanks :)

Rest. Missing a week won't make a difference, exercising when ill will fill you with regret

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

A 20-30 minute walk been shown to boost the recovery process when sick.

http://menshealth.about.com/od/Exercise-for-mens-health/fl/Should-You-Exercise-While-Sick.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

CWF wrote:
    A 20-30 minute walk been shown to boost the recovery process when sick.

Thats not a vigorous workout though. Rest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A walk is fine
    Lepping around the place wouldn't be. Imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    Thats not a vigorous workout though. Rest

I don't remember saying it was?

I was simply offering the OP some sound quality advice to help further boost recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

The OP asked was it ok to do a vigorous workout while sick. That was the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Thanks everyone, thought as much really but now I don't feel bad for staying at home bundled up with a cup of hot lemon and honey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I wasn't able to train myself tonight - first time sick in a while. Feel good about your decision - the body needs to rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    A walk is fine
    Lepping around the place wouldn't be. Imo

'Lepping' isn't used enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Seems like everybody has some version of the chesty cough and a sore throat at the moment, I'm feeling lazy with it too! It's the time of year :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Eat lots of food...sleep lots...take lots of vitamens and lots and drink gallons of liquid.

If you want to get the lungs opened up a bit I recommend a brisk cycle every so often,it works the lungs without knackering yourself completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    The OP asked was it ok to do a vigorous workout while sick. That was the question.

Good thing this is a discussion forum, where people are allowed to extrapolate beyond Y/N answers, ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

dont train if your lungs are in a heap, it will make you sicker and mean longer staying sick

also when you are better , do not go back full wack, work up to it over 3 weeks or so or more depending how bad you were.

Advertisement