Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cardiff City could go from Blue to Red

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

waste of a 6,000th post :P Shoulda gone for a meaning of life type post lol :)

I think his point is valid though, in the sense when the team is winning it becomes a non-issue among fans. People obviously still care about it but it gets lost into obscurity. Whereas if they were in the relegation places, fans would hate the regime in charge and the shirt issue would be top of the agenda.
    CSF wrote: »
    Where are you making this assumption from? Because they're happy about getting promoted?

Exactly, hard enough as it is to take for some around here the basic fact is that fans like winning, no matter how it is achieved and no matter in this case what colour the shirt is.

The idea that fans prefer to preserve tradition at the cost of success is b***ix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cardiff v Swansea should be interesting to say the least next year.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Exactly, hard enough as it is to take for some around here the basic fact is that fans like winning, no matter how it is achieved and no matter in this case what colour the shirt is.

The idea that fans prefer to preserve tradition at the cost of success is b***ix.

How did the red shirts enable them to get promotion? It's not like the shirt colour change is the reason they won they got promoted is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think his point is valid though, in the sense when the team is winning it becomes a non-issue among fans. People obviously still care about it but it gets lost into obscurity. Whereas if they were in the relegation places, fans would hate the regime in charge and the shirt issue would be top of the agenda.

How do you know it's a non issue among the fans? I'm sure it would be getting more complaints in the press and from fans organisations if the club was in trouble on the pitch, but that is just a sign of the reactionary nature of public debate and the dumbed down narratives that the press like to pursue.

If Fr Tod had some fan survey information or something then his assertion that the fans don't care about the colour change would have some weight. But he doesn't. His evidence is ''look they are celebrating having been promoted, they must not give a fùck about the colour change'' - that is retarded.
    waste of a 6,000th post :P Shoulda gone for a meaning of life type post lol :)

Zeros aren't cool anymore. I'm waiting to celebrate my 11,111th post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Cardiff v Swansea should be interesting to say the least next year.

Swansea old ground used to be pretty much bang in middle of town. It's away from there now which is relief to shop owners and goers as you would often see windows smashed after fighting.

Much easier to police now where it's situated but this will still be toughest match to Police next season in PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I wanted to watch their games this season but most of the televised ones were at awkward times for me. Any Cardiff fans around that can tell me how Kim did in his first season? A twitter search tells me he did well last night. Hopefully I'll get to see him again next season.

Congrats on the promotion even though I hate the whole colour changing/sugar daddy crap.

Strawman ftw.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I wanted to watch their games this season but most of the televised ones were at awkward times for me. Any Cardiff fans around that can tell me how Kim did in his first season? A twitter search tells me he did well last night. Hopefully I'll get to see him again next season.

Congrats on the promotion even though I hate the whole colour changing/sugar daddy crap.

Are you a Cardiff fan ?

Are you happier to be in the premiership thanks to a sugar daddy than being still in the Championship or worse without one ?

If I recall when Cardiff last failed to advance from the playoff many were suggesting their demise was imment as they could not keeping knocking on that door for another year.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Strawman ftw.

Hardly, a lot of people on this thread giving out about this back last year saying that you cannot take away tradition etc.

A bit like the 'outrage' here about the idea of holding Euro 2020 across the continent, when in fact it's a very good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hardly, a lot of people on this thread giving out about this back last year saying that you cannot take away tradition etc.

A bit like the 'outrage' here about the idea of holding Euro 2020 across the continent, when in fact it's a very good idea

I don't really get your point. When people sell out, they generally get some sort of reward for doing so. It's often later on when it comes to bite them in the backside.

Your argument is a bit like a next door neighbour of Judas telling his wife, 'See love, you said he shouldn't betray his morals and principles but now he has THIRTY pieces of silver. What do you think of that, hmm?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Why should someone who walked away be given any credence whatsoever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Are you happier to be in the premiership thanks to a sugar daddy than being still in the Championship or worse without one ?

Much happier doing neither.

If I recall when Cardiff last failed to advance from the playoff many were suggesting their demise was imment as they could not keeping knocking on that door for another year.

Spend only what you can afford and don't gamble on success then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭HoggyRS

The whole thing gets me angry still, its not an against modern football things, its just an against stupid owners thing. I mean if Man United wore pink and lime green stripes and their crest was a picture of a turd they would still be huge in Asia, its not about the fecking colour red. That owner has thrown away part of Cardiffs identity in what is the impossible task of making them huge in asia, the Asian market likes success, not red dragons ffs.

Congrats to Cardiff though, the wales derby in the PL next year will be cracking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

What exactly does he need credence for? His disappointment in the way they destroyed his relationship and identification with the club? I couldn't imagine anyone doubting that. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I think the fact that he followed them for around thirty years means he's entitled to his opinion.

What exactly does he need credence for? His disappointment in the way they destroyed his relationship and identification with the club? I couldn't imagine anyone doubting that. :confused:

Credence was a poor choice of words then. I mean, why should his opinions on the game, in regards to anything, be listened to? He's abandoned his club FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Pro. F wrote: »
    How do you know it's a non issue among the fans? I'm sure it would be getting more complaints in the press and from fans organisations if the club was in trouble on the pitch, but that is just a sign of the reactionary nature of public debate and the dumbed down narratives that the press like to pursue.

If Fr Tod had some fan survey information or something then his assertion that the fans don't care about the colour change would have some weight. But he doesn't. His evidence is ''look they are celebrating having been promoted, they must not give a fùck about the colour change'' - that is retarded.

Zeros aren't cool anymore. I'm waiting to celebrate my 11,111th post :)
    Well, if you take a look at the various Supporter Sites there is very little content (or rather discontent) on display over the shirts.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/fans/supporters_clubs/

You would imagine given all of those supporter clubs are independent there would be more recent uproar over the shirt/identity issue. Just as an aside there really is not much traffic on the messageboards one way or the other.

The media will always pick up and drop an issue when they feel like it, so i would agree it has not become a moot issue merely as it's fallen off the radar.

That piece may well sum up a lot of fans feelings or he may be in a minority. I'm not sure.

What i do know is Craig Bellamy was moved to tears by the promotion and what this means for the city of Cardiff. I'm sure some fans may feel this club is not the Cardiff City they once knew, but it still represents the city and i'm sure a lot of homegrown lads like Bellamy feel that is more important than nicknames or identity issues.
    Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Much happier doing neither.

Spend only what you can afford and don't gamble on success then :rolleyes:
    I would argue that the past 2 years were the perfect time to gamble on success. We still don't know how Financial Fair Play will affect the game in the UK in the long run but the wealth gap between the Premiership and Championship sides is continuing to widen. This was a really good time to gamble on success.

Whether they end up a Blackburn Rovers or Portsmouth in 5 years time is down partly to how well they do in Premier League and partly down to the owners committment to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Credence was a poor choice of words then. I mean, why should his opinions on the game, in regards to anything, be listened to? He's abandoned his club FFS.

From his perspective, HIS club disappeared, replaced by a new one that bears little resemblance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The colour red had nothing to do with them going up, it was the colour green. The owner piled loads of money into the club, most of the players were on PL wages. Cardiff took a massive gamble this year, similar to West Ham last year, by putting all their money into promotion. It has worked for them this year, but the long term future of the club is far from guaranteed.

I do not think they will be able to break the top clubs' stranglehold in Asia. Birmingham tried and failed miserably a few years ago. I can see the owner putting loads more into the club this summer but I doubt it is going to make much difference. Cardiff will not become a big club over night.

From his perspective, HIS club disappeared, replaced by a new one that bears little resemblance.

Not a perspective that I agree with. Identity isn't immutable but loyalty should be forever. Even if you don't like everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Not a perspective that I agree with. Identity isn't immutable but loyalty should be forever. Even if you don't like everything.
    That is easy to say for someone who doesn't travel the country all year, donating such a large chunk of his life to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

did cardiff even 'spend big'? i'd say their squad is pretty much the same as it has been, they've been pushing for promotion for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

EdenHazard wrote: »
    did cardiff even 'spend big'? i'd say their squad is pretty much the same as it has been, they've been pushing for promotion for years now.

Think 9 of the starting 11 the other night had been signed since the takeover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

He's abandoned his club FFS.
    Other way around. The club abandoned him. He's dead right to stay away.

English football is an absolute joke. Are there any supporter run clubs left over there at all or is it all just about making money for already wealthy foreign individuals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

AgileMyth wrote: »

English football is an absolute joke. Are there any supporter run clubs left over there at all or is it all just about making money for already wealthy foreign individuals?

It's not just English/Welsh football though tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

It's not just English/Welsh football though tbf.
    No, but it is particularly prevalent there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ceegee wrote: »
    Think 9 of the starting 11 the other night had been signed since the takeover

Most of the team left when Jones did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

"You used to be blue,
    But now you are Red,
    You look like cúnts,
    When you tap your head"

BDVZF5_CYAA1bpK.jpg:large

People giving out about changing the team colours, crest, mascot and motto is not the same as saying that they want tradition at the cost of success.

The majority of people on this thread have the cop on to realise that the two things are not mutually exclusive and that it's possible to be happy about success while at the same time being pissed off at the unnecessary messing with the identity of the club. You are the one putting forward the stupidly overly simplified argument, stop pretending that everybody else is doing the same thing.

Well, if you take a look at the various Supporter Sites there is very little content (or rather discontent) on display over the shirts.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/fans/supporters_clubs/

You would imagine given all of those supporter clubs are independent there would be more recent uproar over the shirt/identity issue. Just as an aside there really is not much traffic on the messageboards one way or the other.

The media will always pick up and drop an issue when they feel like it, so i would agree it has not become a moot issue merely as it's fallen off the radar.

All those links as far as I can see are to wastelands where nobody is talking about anything.

AgileMyth wrote: »

But when ever were there supporter run clubs anyway?

Previously clubs were owned by British industrialists, then in the 80s and 90s property developers started getting involved based on the fact that a lot of clubs had grounds in prime real estate locations.

Now you have rich foreign owners. many of which are loosing billions on them by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

And.......... back to blue again!

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/30741073

• Advertisement
Advertisement