Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 190 - Rousey v Correia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Correia via Decision
    xtal191 wrote: »

Good read that.

Why aren't there more women with elite backgrounds akin to Rousey? Where are the high level BJJ women hiding out?

Holly Holm is the only one in the division that i can see having any hope of keeping the fight on the outside. She's long and has the boxing, but even she's gong to be so far out her depth once Ronda manages to clinch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rousey via Decision
    I’ve often wondered about the other high level judoka. Have they considered MMA after seeing Ronda’s success?
    Rousey got a bronze in Beijing, so there were two athletes places a head of her, and the other bronze medallist was the person who knocked her out of the main bracket, and she medalled the following year. Plus the 2012 medalists might have considered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Correia via KO/TKO
    Mellor wrote: »
    I’ve often wondered about the other high level judoka. Have they considered MMA after seeing Ronda’s success?
    Rousey got a bronze in Beijing, so there were two athletes places a head of her, and the other bronze medallist was the person who knocked her out of the main bracket, and she medalled the following year. Plus the 2012 medalists might have considered it.

Something to consider with regards to that is how old the other competitors were in comparison to Ronda. Ronda was something of a phenom to be competing at that level at the age she was.

For example at Ronda's weight class in Bejing, the gold medalist was 29, the silver medalist was 27 (about to turn 28 a few weeks later) and Ronda was 21. In 2012 in the same weight class, the gold medalist was 31, the silver medalist was 26 and the bronze was 32. Ronda would have been 25. Flicking through the other weight classes over those 2 Olympics, the average age does seem to be late 20's.

Obviously it's not the only reason. There's plenty of older MMA fighters in the UFC. But it's probably a reason. That the other medalists had devoted all of their life to judo and didn't really have time on their side in terms of transitioning to something else and maybe at that stage of their life they just didn't have the motivation, while Ronda was very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Looking forward to this. I expect Honda to win by whatever way she wants, her boxing is coming on leaps and bounds. KO would not surprise me.

Really hope Shogun has more in the tank than little Nog does. I'd expect a sloppy brawl with Shogun getting the TKO or Nog getting a sneaky sub after taking a hammering. Shogun training with Cordeiro has to be a good thing, hope he's fit and able to let his strikes go. It's sadly a case of who is more battle worn at this stage of their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Liamo290

Rousey via Decision
    Really poor card overall but I think Rousey will win by KO and the Shogun should be interested with two fighter past their prime but I think Shogun will win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Correia via KO/TKO
    Liamo290 wrote: »
    Really poor card overall but I think Rousey will win by KO and the Shogun should be interested with two fighter past their prime but I think Shogun will win

Really?? Sure there has been better main events in Brazil but as an overall card is the best card in Brazil since the comeback to Brazil card. At least of now It hasn't fallen victim to pull outs/late replacements it's ready to go as intended. There is now 7 fights on the PPV with Tuf Brazil finals added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

The main card for this ppv is truly, truly terrible. To steal a line from Conor, it's full of rookies and has beens. Why bother putting the tuf finals on the main card?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Really?? Sure there has been better main events in Brazil but as an overall card is the best card in Brazil since the comeback to Brazil card. At least of now It hasn't fallen victim to pull outs/late replacements it's ready to go as intended. There is now 7 fights on the PPV with Tuf Brazil finals added.

Still a sh*te card to be fair.

Correia via KO/TKO
    dulux99 wrote: »
    The main card for this ppv is truly, truly terrible. To steal a line from Conor, it's full of rookies and has beens. Why bother putting the tuf finals on the main card?

They don't have any TUF Finale like US editions, they did it once before on a PPV but only had 5 fights on main so thats an improvement tbf.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Still a sh*te card to be fair.

More promising than 184 and 186 at least IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

They don't have any TUF Finale like US editions, they did it once before on a PPV but only had 5 fights on main so thats an improvement tbf.

More promising than 184 and 186 at least IMO

I know they don't have a finale, but they still don't need to put the finals on a PPV main card. Stick em on the Prelims at least ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

The countdown was pretty good for this, best one I've seen for a while. For a moment I started to think Bethe had a shot, just for a moment. If she fights smart maybe she can make it to the second or third, otherwise Ronda to shred her up like the rest.

Not 100% convinced Ronda will try to stretch this out just to give her a beating, that would be a bad move imo.

Overall I think the card is decent, as an entertaiment factor, heavyweight should provide KO's, but nothing to cause big waves going forward for any of the guys.

If Gadelha wins, she'll probably get a shot at JJ.

I don't see Magny fighting Gunni if he beats Maia, no offensive to Gunni, but you don't want to beat the #6 guy to then have to fight #11, he should look at Matt Brown or someone ahead (they are booked besides Rory), win 8 in a row, you should be looking at a title eliminator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rousey via Decision
    Have to laugh at rousey outspoken and critical of Floyd mayweather yet in ufc countdown tonight she's all smiles and fist bumping a convicted rapist Mike Tyson

Correia via KO/TKO
    ricero wrote: »
    Have to laugh at rousey outspoken and critical of Floyd mayweather yet in ufc countdown tonight she's all smiles and fist bumping a convicted rapist Mike Tyson

Her dig at Floyd stemmed from because he claimed not to know who "he" was and who is "Ron Derousey" not based on being a randomly selected celebrity womanbeater.

Rousey via Decision
    Her dig at Floyd stemmed from because he claimed not to know who "he" was and who is "Ron Derousey" not based on being a randomly selected celebrity womanbeater.

I'm pretty sure she specifically called him out on beating women too.

Correia via KO/TKO
    I'm pretty sure she specifically called him out on beating women too.

Ya that was the dig I was referring too she said something like was/ it's about time he was beaten by a woman for a change (when she picked a fighter of the year prize he could've won).

I'm sure if Tyson had something bad to say about her she'd bring up his background too. Tyson also showed to the gym being courted by the top brass and has been praising her in the media on numerous occasions hardly worth her while discrediting people behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MMATycoon

Correia via KO/TKO
    I could totally see Rousey getting crucifix and finishing with elbows. Rousey via TKO/KO opened at nearly 5/1 but it's now down to just over 2/1. I mean, she'll probably win by sub after doing some GNP damage but it's still an interesting call and a lot of people in this poll going for the TKO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

cowzerp wrote: »
    She is technically a Woman and is a woman, That is fighter bashing and out of order to be straight.

Why she get's singled out for Juice when it is rampant in the UFC and probably less haven't used PED's than have.

Fighter bashing my eye, seen her and a few other men and women fighters in mgm during 189 and she was bigger and bulkier than some of the guys, she dosent look natural in terms of her shape at all, and she can't even make the bloody weight anyway so it's all mute

Like Weidman? Come on now, we now know he's elite and Silva was declining at that point. Bethe shouldn't be near a title shot based on ufc form.

If Ronda had 1 arm I'd probably still back her, she's far far superior.

Weidman is showing his class, beat vitor well last time as well, and after tests showed the feckers testosterone was still off the charts despite trt being banned, Weidman was vocal in his anger when results were announced, he's impressing me more every fight

Correia via KO/TKO
    jcd5971 wrote: »
    Fighter bashing my eye, seen her and a few other men and women fighters in mgm during 189 and she was bigger and bulkier than some of the guys, she dosent look natural in terms of her shape at all, and she can't even make the bloody weight anyway so it's all mute

No kidding. You can't get that shape without a hell of a lot of "assistance".

MMATycoon wrote: »
    No kidding. You can't get that shape without a hell of a lot of "assistance".

Exactly, I don't give a hoot whether the girls look buff or "manly" but cyborg looks unnatural.
    And in fairness I hate ped users anyway was sickened when they caught Gilbert melendez, still at least we still have his brother giblert melendez to carry on the torch

• Advertisement

Rousey via Decision
    Weidman is showing his class, beat vitor well last time as well, and after tests showed the feckers testosterone was still off the charts despite trt being banned, Weidman was vocal in his anger when results were announced, he's impressing me more every fight

His testosterone was low on the tests, not high.

His testosterone was low on the tests, not high.

Really are you sure, I read it on mma junkie that it was still way higher than what it should of been, heard same thing on rogans podcast and on Schaub's fighter and the kid podcast, where they talked about Weidman being pissed over it, not sure witch podcast but it was definitely on one of those two anyway.

Interesting if your right tho how they got it so wrong, where did you see it was low

Correia via KO/TKO
    Really are you sure, I read it on mma junkie that it was still way higher than what it should of been, heard same thing on rogans podcast and on Schaub's fighter and the kid podcast, where they talked about Weidman being pissed over it, not sure witch podcast but it was definitely on one of those two anyway.

Interesting if your right tho how they got it so wrong, where did you see it was low

Just my basic understanding but: They test for PEDs by measuring the difference between testosterone and epitestosterone an if your ratio is outside 3-1 or something like that, it means you're doing something naughty. So you can have really low testosterone but still have something fishy if your epi is too high in relation.

Long term use of PEDs will cause this ratio to be totally out of whack well after you stop taking it, which is why lots of dudes who used to do PEDs were trying to claim theraputic use exemptions.

Rousey via Decision

This is from more, but I think the gist of it is;

Weidman and Vitor were both tested twice.
    Weidman's were more or less the same each time. Both were low.
    Vitor's second test was higher, but even with that raise, both results were still below normal.

It was reported in the media that Vitor's level was 1600, which kick started the stories. However the error here is that they where quoting the levels per litre, the standard units is actually per deci-litre. It was Sonnen that pointed out that they weren't low.

It's like the way the media say stuff like Sonnen/Overeem had testosterone levels 14 times higher than normal, when talking about TE ratios. A higher ratio doesn't mean a higher level.

Rousey via Decision
    MMATycoon wrote: »
    Just my basic understanding but: They test for PEDs by measuring the difference between testosterone and epitestosterone an if your ratio is outside 3-1 or something like that, it means you're doing something naughty. So you can have really low testosterone but still have something fishy if your epi is too high in relation.
    I don't think that's correct.
    The ratio rule only applies if test higher.
    A T:E above 6:1 is against the rules, but 1:6 isn't an issue. It can be cause by stress induced low test with normal epi.
    Jon Jones had that in his results prior to DC. He passed the tests.

High testosterone, and way higher epi suggests masking. It'll cause a CIR test fail though.
    Long term use of PEDs will cause this ratio to be totally out of whack well after you stop taking it, which is why lots of dudes who used to do PEDs were trying to claim theraputic use exemptions.
    If PED use shuts down your test production long term, it'll also shutdown your epitest. So ratio shoukdnt be out of whack.
    It was that low natural epitest level that caused Sonnen 16:1 ratio, even though his testosterone (from TRT) was in a normal range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Correia via KO/TKO
    This is from more, but I think the gist of it is;

Weidman and Vitor were both tested twice.
    Weidman's were more or less the same each time. Both were low.
    Vitor's second test was higher, but even with that raise, both results were still below normal.

It was reported in the media that Vitor's level was 1600, which kick started the stories. However the error here is that they where quoting the levels per litre, the standard units is actually per deci-litre. It was Sonnen that pointed out that they weren't low.

It's like the way the media say stuff like Sonnen/Overeem had testosterone levels 14 times higher than normal, when talking about TE ratios. A higher ratio doesn't mean a higher level.

Only 14 for Sonnen? You sure that meter was working correctly?

Rousey via Decision
    Saipanne wrote: »
    Saipanne wrote: »
    I think it was a 16 actually. But same point.

Sonnen returned a T:E ratio of 16:1. This became headlines reading "testosterone levels 16 times higher than normal", when his actual levels were apparently in the normal range.
    The high ratio was cause by having no natural epitest , due to a n alleged condition, or simply just by being on TRT/PEDs.

Yeah but is the point not that wildly fluctuating levels in and of themselves are indicative of foul play regardless of the actual ratio.

Weidman was around 3.8 both tests
    Belfort was 12.something and 5.something
    Despite belfort being nearly a decade older than Weidman. Which was Weidman point

Again I'm no expert ( actually whole thing hurts my head tbh) but when likes of rogan is saying it I generally tend to believe it as he is usually fair in his analysis of issues in mma even when it goes against ufc script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Correia via KO/TKO
    I think it was a 16 actually. But same point.

Sonnen returned a T:E ratio of 16:1. This became headlines reading "testosterone levels 16 times higher than normal", when his actual levels were apparently in the normal range.
    The high ratio was cause by having no natural epitest , due to a n alleged condition, or simply just by being on TRT/PEDs.

Must of caught him on a low day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Correia via KO/TKO
    Watching some of Correia's previous fights and man, she's even worse than I first thought. Painful viewing to be honest.

Rousey will walk straight through numerous shots from Correia (who for someone whose striking is her forte, lacks the power needed to cause any trouble) to get the clinch, toss her on her back and then it's game over. If she finishes whatever presents itself rather than dragging it out, Ronda will be home and dry within 30-60 seconds.

Advertisement