Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor vs Paul O Connell?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It can't be in the Olympics because judo, taekwondo, wrestling and boxing are already in the boxing. That's basically mma

Watchu talkin bout Willis?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

newwan wrote: »
    Why paul o connell?
    Mcgreg is world champ in his sport at his prime..
    You're having a larf!
    World Champ? They only went eeeneey mmeeenney miney mo a couple of weeks ago and came up with a new title that they could give him, you couldn't make it up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Wang King wrote: »
    Watchu talkin bout Willis?!?

Mistake corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

JPA wrote: »
    Katie Taylor would beat POC. It's sport, not a who's bigger contest.

Ah jaysus, such big nonsense in a small post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Not only that but most of the boxers in the Irish elite squad would hammer McGregor in about 3 minutes.

David Haye on boxers versus MMA fighters:

“Six months of training isn’t going to be enough. As a UFC fan, I know two or three years wouldn’t be enough. How many times has Toney sprawled in his life? 500? How many leg kicks has he taken in his life? 300? How many Kimura attempts has he defended? 140? Even if he’s done double that amount, he wouldn’t have nearly the experience needed to win a UFC fight.”

“I know from training in MMA myself that the wrestling aspect ruins your punching power. After a minute of grappling, your arms, back and shoulders fill with blood and even if you then find space to throw punches, your power is suddenly crap."

“And I hit a lot harder and I’m so much faster than James, and I couldn’t land a punch on fighters when all they wanted to do was take me down to the ground. James is a much more static fighter than I am, and is going to get thrown on his back immediately by Randy. I admire Toney’s spirit and boxing skills. But he’s delusional here.”

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

MMA champs are at the pinnacle of their sport, they are not jacks of all trades, they are masters of the art of fighting. That being said if you give up 7 stone on a very athletic opponent who has a natural aggression and competitive nature your gonna have a bad time eg lock in a submission and get spiked of the hard ground (brawl situation).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

gallag wrote: »
    MMA champs are at the pinnacle of their sport, they are not jacks of all trades, they are masters of the art of fighting. That being said if you give up 7 stone on a very athletic opponent who has a natural aggression and competitive nature your gonna have a bad time eg lock in a submission and get spiked of the hard ground (brawl situation).

Try spiking somebody who has their arm wrapped around your neck closing off the blood supply to the brain. No matter how big and strong you are, if somebody with good choking technique locks it on, youre going asleep.
    Conor wouldn't be stupid enough to try and get an arm lock on somebody as physically strong as o Connell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Try spiking somebody who has their arm wrapped around your neck closing off the blood supply to the brain. No matter how big and strong you are, if somebody with good choking technique locks it on, youre going asleep.
    Conor wouldn't be stupid enough to try and get an arm lock on somebody as physically strong as o Connell.

Would probably finish like this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Would probably finish like this

Hong man suffer from gigantism, that was a freak show fight and another can for fedor to crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

If it was just boxing then 110% POC.
    But in reality, CMG would just get him in either a Head/arm/leg hold and that would be the end of it.

Game over... €500000000 each for a ****e fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

MacGregor is but a mere mortal.... He would just kneel down before the deity that is O'Connell, to suggest he would even raise a hand against Paulie would result in instant smiting I'm afraid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

One decent slap from O'Connell would drive the little fella into the middle of next week. Of course if conor could get the ref he had last week he might be able to arrange something with 2 seconds left in the round.

Bitter much?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

JPA wrote: »
    Katie Taylor would beat POC. It's sport, not a who's bigger contest.

so why do boxing ufc etc have weight divisions

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

So the poll pretty much sums up this thread - POC would win. Thanks for everyone's input it is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

This thread wouldn't have lasted an hour on Sherdog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

Call this story bs if you will but a well known Irish mma fighter started a fight with a very large guy who proceded to pick up the small mma fighter and throw him around several times until they were separated, size matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Jesus Christ, I haven't logged on for a few days and when I do, I'm faced with this thread. :confused:
    I'm locking this now before we get other ridiculous threads in the same vein. No one cares if McGregor could beat Paul O Connell, Paul McCartney, or Ru Paul.
    This is an mma forum; stick to mma talk please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement