Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor vs Paul O Connell?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think mcgregor could submit POC in seconds. Doesn't matter how big you are, putting stress on key joints is just as painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I don't know what's worse on this thread the trolling or the serious replies to the trolling Jesus Christ lads haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

.ak wrote: »
    I think mcgregor could submit POC in seconds. Doesn't matter how big you are, putting stress on key joints is just as painful.

Doesn't have the mass to get him to the ground and even if he did he could literally stand up with him hanging off him. I've no doubt in my mind about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

As he's being taken down - "what do I do?" :pac:

Exactly the reaction that any elite boxer would have when they come up against an elite mixed martial artist.

Complete and utter insanity to think a boxer would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Look its like this, Conor is the holder of a makey up title in a makey up 'sport' who was awarded said 'title' with seconds left in the round in order to generate €10 million for the guys who pull the strings in this makey up sport. When Conor's drawing power fades they will make him disappear like a fart in the wind.

• Advertisement

Look its like this, Conor is the holder of a makey up title in a makey up 'sport' who was awarded said 'title' with seconds left in the round in order to generate €10 million for the guys who pull the strings in this makey up sport. When Conor's drawing power fades they will make him disappear like a fart in the wind.

This is 100% factually correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

ASOT wrote: »
    I don't know what's worse on this thread the trolling or the serious replies to the trolling Jesus Christ lads haha

How do you see the fight going? A McGregor submission in seconds? Who wins? How would the fight unfold /finish...

sxt wrote: »

How do you see the fight going? A McGregor submission in seconds? Who wins? How would the fight unfold /finish...

I see an interference by Mick Foley and it turning into a triple threat match for the hardcore title.

Still sick over losing that bet on Mendes, eh? At least we know the reason for your bitterness anyway. Oh dear. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Katie Taylor would beat POC. It's sport, not a who's bigger contest.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    How would he do it?

JPA wrote: »
    Since when is cage fighting a sport? Will it ever be in the Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

It's all about skill. Conor would win easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Ludikrus

Rugby union isn't in the Olympics. Is it a sport?
    JPA wrote: »

Who's bigger is kinda important. It's why they have weight divisions.

thehouses wrote: »
    It's all about skill. Conor would win easily.

If he has all this skill how come he hasn't won a proper title? They had to make up a title for him last week FFS!

It's not "cage fighting", it's mixed martial arts. And look up pankration.

Former Olympians are some of the most successful people in the sport. Ronda Rousey is the UFC's biggest star at the moment and an Olympian in judo. Daniel Cormier the light-heavyweight champion and Olympic wrestler, Yoel Romero, Sara McMann and Dan Henderson the same. Hector Lombard was an Olympian in judo.

These things are gas craic. I reckon McGregor would whip his willy out, wrap it around POC's neck and start him like a lawn mower. Then afterwards they may even have a scrap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Paully D wrote: »
    As he's being taken down - "what do I do?" :pac:

Exactly the reaction that any elite boxer would have when they come up against an elite mixed martial artist.

Complete and utter insanity to think a boxer would win.

With all due respect Hyland isn't an elite boxer. Nor was a well beyond shot James Toney at that stage of his life.

How about Conor McGregor v Gennady Golovkin at 160llbs?

In a stand up contest it's lights out McGregor. Don't forget that McGregors main strength (other than his big gob) is his timing in letting his hands go. Honed during his time as an amateur boxer. And he was never an elite boxer.

I really respect MMA fighters for their heart and athleticism but even the very best (GSP's and Anderson Silva's etc...) are jacks of all trades rather than being truly great in one discipline. And before anyone mentions ju jitsu belt colours etc.... Anyone who has one will tell you the very subjective nature of how they are awarded.

Paully D wrote: »
    It's not "cage fighting", it's mixed martial arts.

Oh! So what's the difference ? They only changed the name to make what in effect is brawling in a cage sound less skanky.

With all due respect Hyland isn't an elite boxer. Nor was a well beyond shot James Toney at that stage of his life.

In a stand up contest it's lights out McGregor. Don't forget that McGregors main strength (other than his big gob) is his timing in letting his hands go. Honed during his time as an amateur boxer. And he was never an elite boxer.

I really respect MMA fighters for their heart and athleticism but even the very best (GSP's and Anderson Silva's etc...) are jacks of all trades rather than being truly great in one discipline. And before anyone mentions ju jitsu belt colours etc.... Anyone who has one will tell you the very subjective nature of how they are awarded.

Completely agree on your comment re: Hyland and Toney but the general point is still the same.

McGregor (or any elite mixed martial artist) v any elite boxer results in the same outcome. They shoot for a takedown, get it at will and the comment from Hyland of "what do I do" is one that will go through the head of any elite boxer when their back hits the mat and they're eating elbows or being worked into a position to be put to sleep or have their arm ripped off.

If it was required that the fight stayed standing then it would be a boxing match and to be fair, it's a different argument and it wasn't the question that was being asked.

The fact that elite MMA fighters are jacks of all trades is exactly the reason why they'd destroy elite boxers.

• Advertisement

These things are gas craic. I reckon McGregor would whip his willy out, wrap it around POC's neck and start him like a lawn mower. Then afterwards they may even have a scrap

How do genuinely believe would the fight would unfold /finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Why paul o connell?
    Mcgreg is world champ in his sport at his prime. Paulie is amazing but 35 and a lock - dynamic for his position but no usain bolt.

How about cian healy or sean o brien 2 years ago? Now thatd be worth a lot of money to see. Those guys can move as fast as anything on 2 legs over a few metres...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,122 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

newwan wrote: »
    Why paul o connell?
    Mcgreg is world champ in his sport at his prime. Paulie is amazing but 35 and a lock - dynamic for his position but no usain bolt.

How about cian healy or sean o brien 2 years ago? Now thatd be worth a lot of money to see. Those guys can move as fast as anything on 2 legs over a few metres...
    It's a fight, not a race.
    Being Usain Bolt is not going to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,122 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Conor kicks him a few times, takes him down and submits him straight away.
    He would never decide to make it a boxing match. Why would anyone do that? There's a routine path to winning.
    I really respect MMA fighters for their heart and athleticism but even the very best (GSP's and Anderson Silva's etc...) are jacks of all trades rather than being truly great in one discipline.
    Thats exactly why they can dictate how the fight goes. They have a broad skillset. You don't need to be remotely close to expert level to submit an untrained novice.
    And before anyone mentions ju jitsu belt colours etc.... Anyone who has one will tell you the very subjective nature of how they are awarded.
    I have one, they are awarded based on opinion, in that regard they are subjective. But that opinion is based on actual performance in competition and resisted situations. So the belt standards are far more uniform that not competitive arts.
    The slight subjectivity is irrelevant here. A BJJ brown belt will submit an untrained guy 100% of the time without breaking a sweat. I don't imagine Blues and purples having much trouble either.

I fully respect GG in an animal in a boxing ring. But the whole boxer verses grappler arguement was put to bed 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Boxers of equal weights have no chance, this has been proven time and again.They are not accustomed to it.

The boxer will need a huge size advantage, I wouldn't even be sure a giant 250lb 6'6 Klitschko would be able to beat an elite ufc fighter of 170/180lb in the cage.

Paul O Connell lol

Who has he beaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

and this my friends, is what the MMA forum is reduced to :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Paul o O'Connell has the one thing MacGregor will never have...... Munster Pashun!
    A win for Paulie unless he takes it easy on the little fella

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

ASOT wrote: »

I was expecting every reply to be a pisstake, oh how wrong I was! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,743 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It can't be in the Olympics because judo, taekwondo, wrestling and boxing are already in the Olympics . That's basically mma

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement