Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conor McGregor vs Paul O Connell?

• 24-07-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭

Who wins? How would the fight unfold /finish...

Edit. Conor would be 180ilbs or whatever weight he wanted to be, and O Connell would be 250 ilbs

Who would win? 57 votes

Paul O Connell
    0% 0 votes
    Connor McGregor
    100% 57 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Conor would put him to sleep within 30 seconds and that's being generous to O'Connell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

/thread (The fight wouldn't unfold no way is Paul O Connell capable of making 145)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,192 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Conor McGregor Flawless Victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

I am surprised the poll is 50/50 on an MMA forum.

I think O Connell could win. He is an elite athlete, with super strength, lower and upper body . I can't imagine him having a weak heart or chin.. . So strikes would not stop him.

Connor would be thrown to the ground, have to defend against a dozen farmer strength hooks, then slip and submit... O Connell would probably have to break an arm before submitting

Is this a 50/50 fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »

How? ...what do you think would happen in the fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

sxt wrote: »
    How? ...

Because Conor has a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu...and well Paul doesn't

Thats like saying that myself (84kg) would beat T.J. Dillashaw because i have 23kg on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Try Conor playing rugby against Paulie and see how he gets on

Because Conor has a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu...and well Paul doesn't

Thats like saying that myself (84kg) would beat T.J. Dillashaw because i have 23kg on him

I don't agree , Are you an elite athlete, proven, at the top of your professional sport. With elite strength and conditioning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

One decent slap from O'Connell would drive the little fella into the middle of next week. Of course if conor could get the ref he had last week he might be able to arrange something with 2 seconds left in the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 anpanman

Conor would take his back in seconds and choke him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

1 slap from POC would knock McGregor into next week, 7 stone heavier than him. Remember that Conditioning of POC is incredible and he regularly does boxing training. Genuine Bar brawl then POC would murder him, hilarious to think otherwise, try and do an arm bar whilst getting a headbutt off the big man!

You don't think Paul would have a chance at all? His physical and mental toughness count for nothing? His size and strength and conditioning, you don't rate? His heart?

I believe McGregor would win as well due to his much better skills , but I could see O Connell winning as well. It wouldn't be the shock of the century!

Tobyglen wrote: »
    1 slap from POC would knock McGregor into next week, 7 stone heavier than him. Remember that Conditioning of POC is incredible and he regularly does boxing training. Genuine Bar brawl then POC would murder him, hilarious to think otherwise, try and do an arm bar whilst getting a headbutt off the big man!

Not only that but most of the boxers in the Irish elite squad would hammer McGregor in about 3 minutes.

Not only that but most of the boxers in the Irish elite squad would hammer McGregor in about 3 minutes.
    POC dealing with an 18 stone Thug. He would break McGregor in 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5W_cwNnPo

Bit of Judo wresting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fleEQ3srog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

the bookies have poc at 7/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Anyone that thinks Paul would have a chance is off their game. Have a look at the Katie Taylor and Paul o'connell sparring. He was gasping for air and he wasn't even swinging.

Conor would move around until he tired and flatten him.

Brute force wise I doubt Conor would have the body mass to hold Paul on the ground. He would just stand up with McGregor still clung to him.

• Advertisement

You have no idea how strong these lads are, If McGregor tried a choke POC would either pull his arm off or flatten him with his elbow. Have you seen the length of his arms?

POC has been kicked, punched and battered by huge guys, McGregor would be swatted away like a fly.

I say this as a huge McGregor fan but FFS this is delirous stuff.

cronin_j wrote: »
    Anyone that thinks Paul would have a chance is off their game. Have a look at the Katie Taylor and Paul o'connell sparring. He was gasping for air and he wasn't even swinging.

Conor would move around until he tired and flatten him.

Brute force wise I doubt Conor would have the body mass to hold Paul on the ground. He would just stand up with McGregor still clung to him.
    Obviously a sparring fight a boxer would win, an MMA fight McGregor would win.
    A brawl would be no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

POC would destroy him.

Mcgregor is a tiny man - dangerous yes and a skilled fighter but against a huge guy he would crumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Paul spent his life tackling. Paul tackles him, pins him and does the standard mma elbowing MacGregor in the face.
    Win Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Superman or The Flash?

One of the most ridiculous comments I've seen on here since McGregor's rise and that's saying something.

McGregor would get a low single in within seconds and what is a boxer going to do when they are on their back? It's lights out for the boxer very, very quickly most likely either via ground and pound or arm triangle.

Boxers are just never, ever going to be able to contend with mixed martial artists.

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Obviously a sparring fight a boxer would win, an MMA fight McGregor would win.
    A brawl would be no contest.

Maybe so. But I've played rugby and I've also done boxing. The aren't the same at all. Put it to ya this way I could do a military press with 70kg in the gym for five sets. By contrast the end of a two minute round with 14oz gloves I couldnt hold my hands to my head. It's completely different. Paul would struggle to actually close in on McGregor. That would be the thing. It's about speed and mobility neither of which Paul would be known for. He's a blunt force object, Conor is more of a scalpel. http://youtu.be/gEVSxcLkWXo

There isn't a world where McGregor could submit Paul, but in a ring Paul would tire much quicker and leave himself open.

• Advertisement

cronin_j wrote: »
    haven't seen it but doubt either of them were taking it seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think mcgregor could submit POC in seconds. Doesn't matter how big you are, putting stress on key joints is just as painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I don't know what's worse on this thread the trolling or the serious replies to the trolling Jesus Christ lads haha

.ak wrote: »
    I think mcgregor could submit POC in seconds. Doesn't matter how big you are, putting stress on key joints is just as painful.

Doesn't have the mass to get him to the ground and even if he did he could literally stand up with him hanging off him. I've no doubt in my mind about that.

As he's being taken down - "what do I do?" :pac:

Exactly the reaction that any elite boxer would have when they come up against an elite mixed martial artist.

Complete and utter insanity to think a boxer would win.

Look its like this, Conor is the holder of a makey up title in a makey up 'sport' who was awarded said 'title' with seconds left in the round in order to generate €10 million for the guys who pull the strings in this makey up sport. When Conor's drawing power fades they will make him disappear like a fart in the wind.

• Advertisement

Look its like this, Conor is the holder of a makey up title in a makey up 'sport' who was awarded said 'title' with seconds left in the round in order to generate €10 million for the guys who pull the strings in this makey up sport. When Conor's drawing power fades they will make him disappear like a fart in the wind.

This is 100% factually correct.

ASOT wrote: »
    I don't know what's worse on this thread the trolling or the serious replies to the trolling Jesus Christ lads haha

How do you see the fight going? A McGregor submission in seconds? Who wins? How would the fight unfold /finish...

sxt wrote: »

How do you see the fight going? A McGregor submission in seconds? Who wins? How would the fight unfold /finish...

I see an interference by Mick Foley and it turning into a triple threat match for the hardcore title.

Still sick over losing that bet on Mendes, eh? At least we know the reason for your bitterness anyway. Oh dear. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Katie Taylor would beat POC. It's sport, not a who's bigger contest.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    How would he do it?

JPA wrote: »
    Since when is cage fighting a sport? Will it ever be in the Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

It's all about skill. Conor would win easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

Rugby union isn't in the Olympics. Is it a sport?
    JPA wrote: »

Who's bigger is kinda important. It's why they have weight divisions.

thehouses wrote: »
    It's all about skill. Conor would win easily.

If he has all this skill how come he hasn't won a proper title? They had to make up a title for him last week FFS!

It's not "cage fighting", it's mixed martial arts. And look up pankration.

Former Olympians are some of the most successful people in the sport. Ronda Rousey is the UFC's biggest star at the moment and an Olympian in judo. Daniel Cormier the light-heavyweight champion and Olympic wrestler, Yoel Romero, Sara McMann and Dan Henderson the same. Hector Lombard was an Olympian in judo.

These things are gas craic. I reckon McGregor would whip his willy out, wrap it around POC's neck and start him like a lawn mower. Then afterwards they may even have a scrap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Paully D wrote: »
    As he's being taken down - "what do I do?" :pac:

Exactly the reaction that any elite boxer would have when they come up against an elite mixed martial artist.

Complete and utter insanity to think a boxer would win.

With all due respect Hyland isn't an elite boxer. Nor was a well beyond shot James Toney at that stage of his life.

How about Conor McGregor v Gennady Golovkin at 160llbs?

In a stand up contest it's lights out McGregor. Don't forget that McGregors main strength (other than his big gob) is his timing in letting his hands go. Honed during his time as an amateur boxer. And he was never an elite boxer.

I really respect MMA fighters for their heart and athleticism but even the very best (GSP's and Anderson Silva's etc...) are jacks of all trades rather than being truly great in one discipline. And before anyone mentions ju jitsu belt colours etc.... Anyone who has one will tell you the very subjective nature of how they are awarded.

Paully D wrote: »
    It's not "cage fighting", it's mixed martial arts.

Oh! So what's the difference ? They only changed the name to make what in effect is brawling in a cage sound less skanky.

With all due respect Hyland isn't an elite boxer. Nor was a well beyond shot James Toney at that stage of his life.

How about Conor McGregor v Gennady Golovkin at 160llbs?

In a stand up contest it's lights out McGregor. Don't forget that McGregors main strength (other than his big gob) is his timing in letting his hands go. Honed during his time as an amateur boxer. And he was never an elite boxer.

I really respect MMA fighters for their heart and athleticism but even the very best (GSP's and Anderson Silva's etc...) are jacks of all trades rather than being truly great in one discipline. And before anyone mentions ju jitsu belt colours etc.... Anyone who has one will tell you the very subjective nature of how they are awarded.

Completely agree on your comment re: Hyland and Toney but the general point is still the same.

McGregor (or any elite mixed martial artist) v any elite boxer results in the same outcome. They shoot for a takedown, get it at will and the comment from Hyland of "what do I do" is one that will go through the head of any elite boxer when their back hits the mat and they're eating elbows or being worked into a position to be put to sleep or have their arm ripped off.

If it was required that the fight stayed standing then it would be a boxing match and to be fair, it's a different argument and it wasn't the question that was being asked.

The fact that elite MMA fighters are jacks of all trades is exactly the reason why they'd destroy elite boxers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement