Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

BoatMad wrote: »
    not at all, you merely need two platforms in a "L " shape arrangement , no need to block either tram with the other , optionally close enough to link by travelator etc

You already have two platforms in an L shape arrangement - OCS Lower and Abbey Street. This arrangement has the added benefit of not blocking OCS for anything that isn't a tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

MJohnston wrote: »
    You already have two platforms in an L shape arrangement - OCS Lower and Abbey Street. This arrangement has the added benefit of not blocking OCS for anything that isn't a tram.

the fact remains , north bound passenger face a 200 metres walk from the GPO stop to abbey, thats not good planning

the fact remains , north bound passenger face a 200 metres walk from the GPO stop to abbey, thats not good planning

There's not much point in lying when accurate information is easily accessible on the internet:

4C34syh.png

I invite you, get your crayons out and show us where you'd place this hypothetical interchange of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Where are you getting 200m from? I just looked at Google maps. It's about 100m, less if you stay at the back of each tram (which shortens your walk significantly).

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Where are you getting 200m from? I just looked at Google maps. It's about 100m, less if you stay at the back of each tram (which shortens your walk significantly).

sorry typo, 100 metres, as I mentioned in a previous post

• Advertisement

There's not much point in lying when accurate information is easily accessible on the internet:

4C34syh.png

I invite you, get your crayons out and show us where you'd place this hypothetical interchange of yours.

has the BXD lines run up and down O connell street , then a junction could have been created at OCS/Abbey on the opposing corners, allowing North Green line easy access to West Red, and a walk across OCS to the opposite Abbey corner to connect to East going Red, this could have been facilitated by removing the existing Abbey platform and moving it west to the Abbey OCS corner , Neither tram would foul the other

Again on the opposite side an OCS platform adjacent to Abbey with abbey platform on the opposite side etc

the actually walking distance between the two stops is 220 metres
    sorry typo, 100 metres, as I mentioned in a previous post

I'm pretty sure you wanted us to think it was 220m!

I'm pretty sure you wanted us to think it was 220m!

no measured it with google maps , got 120 , typed 220 mea culpa

no measured it with google maps , got 120 , typed 220 mea culpa

Still dunno where you got 120m from, it's not even close.

Anyway, is this what you're talking about above:

7qSFvlJ.png

Still dunno where you got 120m from, it's not even close.

Anyway, is this what you're talking about above:

7qSFvlJ.png

yes, the actual platforms could in fact end right at the junction corners , meaning passengers alighting from OCS would merely have to walk to the end of the platform and cross abbey , or cross OCS to the opposing abbey platform , the maximum walk being the width of OCS

• Advertisement

has the BXD lines run up and down O connell street , then a junction could have been created at OCS/Abbey on the opposing corners, allowing North Green line easy access to West Red, and a walk across OCS to the opposite Abbey corner to connect to East going Red, this could have been facilitated by removing the existing Abbey platform and moving it west to the Abbey OCS corner , Neither tram would foul the other

Again on the opposite side an OCS platform adjacent to Abbey with abbey platform on the opposite side etc

Seriously, it's a 45-60 second walk. I've walked significantly longer on Tubes and Metros.

yes, the actual platforms could in fact end right at the junction corners , meaning passengers alighting from OCS would merely have to walk to the end of the platform and cross abbey , or cross OCS to the opposing abbey platform , the maximum walk being the width of OCS

No they couldn't, OCS is a massive pedestrian thoroughfare and the space for crossings would absolutely have to be maintained.

As for the rest, we've already had multiple debates on this thread about why having a loop rather than both lines on OCS was both necessary and can be beneficial.

There really seems to be very little gained by this idea of yours!

Seriously, it's a 45-60 second walk. I've walked significantly longer on Tubes and Metros.

which is underground and covered from the weather and often aide by travelators etc

No they couldn't, OCS is a massive pedestrian thoroughfare and the space for crossings would absolutely have to be maintained.

As for the rest, we've already had multiple debates on this thread about why having a loop rather than both lines on OCS was both necessary and can be beneficial.

Ill not reopen that but the reasons for Marlborough were not primary tram centric

all thats needed is to retain the conventional OCS footpath distance , thats fine

what it saves is a drag from the GPO stop in the pissing rain to half way down abbey , thats what it saves

all thats needed is to retain the conventional OCS footpath distance , thats fine

what it saves is a drag from the GPO stop in the pissing rain to half way down abbey , thats what it saves

30 extra seconds in the rain (and that's at a slower average walking pace)? I think you're radically overstating the problem here. Especially when compared to the reasons behind not running both south and north lines on OCS.
    Ill not reopen that but the reasons for Marlborough were not primary tram centric

No, but what is that supposed to mean?

No, but what is that supposed to mean?

That the decision to route separately up OCS and down Marlborough , was taken for non-tram reasons, and based on a misguide imho, view. It should have either double tracked OCS or Marlbourgh , simpler, allows for proper interconnection platform and simpler for punters to understand etc

anyway its all futile now

That the decision to route separately up OCS and down Marlborough , was taken for non-tram reasons

I'm asking - what's wrong with doing that?
    and based on a misguide imho, view. It should have either double tracked OCS or Marlbourgh , simpler, allows for proper interconnection platform and simpler for punters to understand etc

As said, this has been gone over multiple times, and the bus concerns were legitimate and worthy of consideration.

which is underground and covered from the weather and often aide by travelators etc

The general population could do with the 45 seconds of exercise given the obesity crisis here!

I've rarely walked on travelators. For airports yes, undergrounds almost never.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Just passed a snarl-up at the Parnell Monument. Southbound tram held up due to cars driving down Parnell Sq failing to clear tracks. No fault of the tram driver. Just ignorant motorists doing what they do best.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think Dublin drivers are possibly the worst I've ever encountered for not keeping junctions clear. Of course, doesn't help that there is close to zero Garda enforcement or punishment, and no hint that there ever will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The whinging has hit a new low. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just passed a snarl-up at the Parnell Monument. Southbound tram held up due to cars driving down Parnell Sq failing to clear tracks. No fault of the tram driver. Just ignorant motorists doing what they do best.

Just out of interest do the tram tracks there have a yellow box painted over it? I know it is common sense not to block tram tracks but for some drivers unless there is a yellow box then it is fair game.

The general population could do with the 45 seconds of exercise given the obesity crisis here!

I've rarely walked on travelators. For airports yes, undergrounds almost never.

you have-not tried the one at Bank in London then !

As said, this has been gone over multiple times, and the bus concerns were legitimate and worthy of consideration.

and not relevant to a discussion to double track marlborough for example , which could have been dedicated to LUAS

you need to ride trams elsewhere to see what can be done

and not relevant to a discussion to double track marlborough for example , which could have been dedicated to LUAS

you need to ride trams elsewhere to see what can be done

And double-tracking Marlborough would still ignore the benefits that the loop brings.

You ought to ride transit systems elsewhere to see how little of a problem a 99m interchange walk is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yeah, I think Dublin drivers are possibly the worst I've ever encountered for not keeping junctions clear. Of course, doesn't help that there is close to zero Garda enforcement or punishment, and no hint that there ever will be.

Really needs Garda enforcement ,even for the first few weeks, enforce the rules and start fining all offenders.

People would cop on very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just out of interest do the tram tracks there have a yellow box painted over it? I know it is common sense not to block tram tracks but for some drivers unless there is a yellow box then it is fair game.

Yes, they do.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Really needs Garda enforcement ,even for the first few weeks, enforce the rules and start fining all offenders.

People would cop on very quick.

I dunno, I don't think "shock and awe" tactics work with traffic enforcement long term (as soon as they stop, people go back to their bad behaviours) - we need to start consistently enforcing these things all over the place.

And if there aren't enough Garda for this, we need to start farming it out to private companies, or introduce automated enforcement cameras.

• Advertisement

I dunno, I don't think "shock and awe" tactics work with traffic enforcement long term (as soon as they stop, people go back to their bad behaviours) - we need to start consistently enforcing these things all over the place.

And if there aren't enough Garda for this, we need to start farming it out to private companies, or introduce automated enforcement cameras.

also designing sensible and practical traffic management schemes in the first place, that people can buy into is a good idea as well

Advertisement