Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***** Leaving Cert Ordinary Level Maths - both papers ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Do they really hand out attempt marks easily in O level? Because for the mocks I had a friend who had some pretty solid and valid attempts and he got 0 for them all

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

Such a easy paper, I'm still laughing at how easy that first question was :L

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Buataisti

Was the maximum height of the rocket 25m? I just read it from the graph but I'm not sure if there was a trick question in there.

Yep, given how the question prior to the one asking the maximum height was to get the speed formula, and the one after the max height also used that formula it seems to have intended to ask for maximum speed, which basically means free marks for putting down 25 if i'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 typicalstudent

Anyone feel there were mistakes on the paper?
    In the sequences in series question, in our Edco exam papers the recurring question is making a formula the sum of the first n series'. In today's exam it was the same question, but the usual way of just adapting the SN formula wouldn't work? Anyone else get this?

Also. In the final question it asks us to differentiate the height formula. The Dh/dt = 10-2t. This formula should give speed, but in the next question instead of asking for max speed it asks for max height AGAIN?

I think these are two of possibly a few mistakes on the paper. So they're guaranteed marks for you people worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

It was grand apart from the imaginary numbers, cardboard box and f:x stuff. That was hard as all hell. Especially the box. That "maximum size" thing annoys the hell out of me, always gone right over my head. Like couldn't I just say "h" is a thousand trillion and that would be the maximum size?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

There was hardly any marks going for number patterns in that exam , 25 marks there is usually at least 50 sometimes 100 marks for it.
    Anyone know what time the papers are posted on the examinations website ?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

What did you guys get for the speed of the rocket ? Was it just distance divided by time? also what was the distance

Hmm, seems it wasn't just me who thought there was something up with the differentiation on the rocket question. It didn't make sense, the way they had put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Aarong9224 wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the papers are posted on the examinations website ?

Was just wondering the same thing. I need to add up the bare minimum marks I could of got and see if I passed. I am terrified I failed this paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

Was just wondering the same thing. I need to add up the bare minimum marks I could of got and see if I passed. I am terrified I failed this paper.

Yeah im adding up my marks as well , im sure i didnt fail though need a c3 for college though.

Im sure you didnt fail , not many do at ordinary level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Was there anyone here who could actually do that cardboard box question? no one in my school could get it either :P HELLO NICE BELL CURVE, also I need to know guys do they give out attempt marks easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

nimrod86 wrote: »
    I tried to use the Sn formula, but kept getting syntax errors on my calculator... ended up just writing as much as I could out and hoping for attempt marks

That happened to me too, until I put the common difference in brackets aswell then the syntax error disappeared, getting z3 was hard too the last bit of question 2.

Saxo wrote: »
    That happened to me too, until I put the common difference in brackets aswell then the syntax error disappeared, getting z3 was hard too the last bit of question 2.

The common difference has to go on the left side of the bracket not the right, otherwise it's an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Also. In the final question it asks us to differentiate the height formula. The Dh/dt = 10-2t. This formula should give speed, but in the next question instead of asking for max speed it asks for max height AGAIN?
    !

I thought the first part meant to GIVE the formula then the second part to actually USE it but I wasn't sure. I remember seeing a question similar to that layout before I think

the last part of that complex number question killed me slowly, I think i tried five different approaches :o

Badwulf wrote: »
    Was there anyone here who could actually do that cardboard box question? no one in my school could get it either :P HELLO NICE BELL CURVE, also I need to know guys do they give out attempt marks easily?

I was so worried everyone else got it and I didn't. Did you any of the box part? I didn't. I made a random guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HassanNat95

impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Badwulf wrote: »

I literally just wrote h x h for the length and weight, hadn't a clue, then I just kept differentiating :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Catherinem1616

What graph did everyone get A B C or D?!?!

a0ifee wrote: »
    I thought the first part meant to GIVE the formula then the second part to actually USE it but I wasn't sure. I remember seeing a question similar to that layout before I think

the last part of that complex number question killed me slowly, I think i tried five different approaches :o

Yeah in the first part you give it, that's the differentiation of height. This formula gives you the speed at t seconds.

But instead of asking you to use the formula it asks you to find the height, whereas it should be asking you to find the speed as per every other exam. *****

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mystery_who

I am praying to god that the markng scheme will be good.
    Everyone is saying it was so easy and I thought it was horrible!!!
    I ran out of time and everything, On the Car question I said the second choice was better but everyone's saying the first choice was.
    No college for me. I'd be lucky to even get 10 point out of the whole paper.

• Advertisement

D! positive x^2 meant D I think!

Pretty sure it was either C or D. I guessed C

I am praying to god that the markng scheme will be good.
    Everyone is saying it was so easy and I thought it was horrible!!!
    I ran out of time and everything, On the Car question I said the second choice was better but everyone's saying the first choice was.
    No college for me. I'd be lucky to even get 10 point out of the whole paper.
    But.. the second choice was better? That's the only question I was certain of on the paper. The second choice was definitely better. There was about a one hundred euro difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crolekka

I'm not sure if what I did was right but for finding the maximum value of h for the cardboard box; I differentiated the volume equation, let it equal to zero and got two values for h which were 2 and 6. By subbing 2 into the equation I got zero which unless the box is supernatural isn't possible but with 2 I got 128cm3. That makes 6 the max value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Siffo

jazz101 wrote: »
    But.. the second choice was better? That's the only question I was certain of on the paper. The second choice was definitely better. There was about a one hundred euro difference.

Yep bargain car deals was better

jazz101 wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was either C or D. I guessed C

Please let it be C. I had a vague memory of how them things work and picked C

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

That was tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mystery_who

Really??? everyone I've asked said the first. I hope your right, it was the only question I answered fully!! I got around 100 euro difference too

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

With paper one out of the way, I was wondering could someone post what topics come up in paper two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Buataisti

D, it had to be C or D, and from subbing into the equation you can figure out which points match up.

Advertisement