Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***** Leaving Cert Ordinary Level Maths - both papers ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Need help, when getting the roots of a complex equation using de moivres theorem.. I know that you put it in general polar form and if the equation is z^4 then you multiply the whole equation by 1/4 to get z. But what about the value for r? You multiply it by 1/4 too or do you use the inverse square root of 4 to get a different value for r?

Trouble with this maths is that its so hard to explain your situation! I hope I made some sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

i before e except after c

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sylviaplath32

Somebody please help! Doing simultaneous equations and stuck on this:

2f + 2/3g + 1 = 0
    f + 1/2 g + 1 = 0

What do I do with the fractions?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

For the complex numbers you get the 4th root of r. You multiply the angle (including 2 pi n) by 1/4. Then sub in n=0, n=1, n=2, n=3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I get the complex roots thing now, spotted it in the book! So no need to reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 gal555

2f + 2/3g + 1 = 0
    f + 1/2 g + 1 = 0

I'm no maths genius by any means but...
    I think you put both equations over 6 as its the LCD of both fractions

So you're left with:
    12f + 4g + 6 = 0
    6f +3g + 6 = 0

Then you just treat it as a normal simultaneous equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

FatRat wrote: »
    Need help, when getting the roots of a complex equation using de moivres theorem.. I know that you put it in general polar form and if the equation is z^4 then you multiply the whole equation by 1/4 to get z. But what about the value for r? You multiply it by 1/4 too or do you use the inverse square root of 4 to get a different value for r?

Trouble with this maths is that its so hard to explain your situation! I hope I made some sense..

is this on the ordinary course?! I can't find it anywhere in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

its higher i think
    well i hope it is anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

Has anyone done the question in the exam papers about the wheat production and calculating how many hectares of wheat he can get etc, think its 2012 paper 1? might be wrong. fair confused with this question, hope something like it doesnt come up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

2f + 2/3g + 1 = 0
    f + 1/2 g + 1 = 0

The other explanation is wrong
    you multiply the bottom line by -2
    then you can cancel the f's
    then treat it as a normal similtanois equation

if your still stuck theres a worked example in the marking scheme on examanationsdotie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 JoeyBohs

Saxo wrote: »
    Has anyone done the question in the exam papers about the wheat production and calculating how many hectares of wheat he can get etc, think its 2012 paper 1? might be wrong. fair confused with this question, hope something like it doesnt come up today.

I tried to do it..didn't get very far though

JoeyBohs wrote: »
    I tried to do it..didn't get very far though

Its sick, some of the questions expect you to work backwards all the time without giving you much information!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

Is there many just looking to pass? Im so scared that I will fail this ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Please guys, make sure you read each question carefully, and make sure that you are answering each question correctly - especially with this project maths, make sure that you answer what's being asked, it's easier to get sidetracked and confused with more writing on the page. With regards thinking you are going to fail - you won't if you try each question, don't leave anything blank, there are plenty of attempt marks to be gotten. Give a fair stab at every question. It's the first proper year of project maths, so my thinking is that the marking won't be too hard. Best of luck to ye all!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Paper was probably the easiest in years. Anyone else find it quite easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TaiHusky

That was fecking hard. I mean, what wis with the f:x question and the cardboard square one!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Smashing little paper :)

TaiHusky wrote: »
    That was fecking hard. I mean, what wis with the f:x question and the cardboard square one!?

Horrible horrible paper :( completely messed up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Don't think I did well there at all...

I think I got all the financial maths ones mostly right, and then the rest I'll be hoping to scrape by on attempt marks :/

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Don't think I did well there at all...

I think I got all the financial maths ones mostly right, and then the rest I'll be hoping to scrape by on attempt marks :/

Did you use the Sn formula in the log tables? hadn't a clue about any of the functions :( paper 2 will be even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Siffo

Did you use the Sn formula in the log tables? hadn't a clue about any of the functions :( paper 2 will be even worse.

ye I used the Sn formula from the log tables and let a = 13 and d = -2 I think.. Ended up getting n = 25 in last part so I think it worked out okay

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

Handy paper 1. Lets hope paper 2 is the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I can kiss goodbye to college now. Absolutely devastated. It feels like my life is ruined.

Siffo wrote: »
    ye I used the Sn formula from the log tables and let a = 13 and d = -2 I think.. Ended up getting n = 25 in last part so I think it worked out okay

My lord I did so bad, I used 1 as the first term and 2 as the difference :( thought it meant go from T1, T2, T3 etc. so frustrated

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

I thought it was awful!!! It started off well then went horrible! The last question was fine but the middle was not the best. Can you repeat just maths on its own? I need a min of C3 for course and I don't think I'm gonna get?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Siffo

KellyR18 wrote: »
    I thought it was awful!!! It started off well then went horrible! The last question was fine but the middle was not the best. Can you repeat just maths on its own? I need a min of C3 for course and I don't think I'm gonna get?

Some colleges offer Special Maths Exams for people who didnt get their grade in the leaving cert, have you had a look at them? You'll probably be ok, they throw marks at you in ordinary maths for attempting and stuff :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Buataisti

Fairly certain the final long question had a mistake printed. After asking you to differentiate it then asks for the maximum height of the rocket, which has already been given. I think it was supposed to ask for the maximum speed given the question prior to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Buataisti wrote: »
    Fairly certain the final long question had a mistake printed. After asking you to differentiate it then asks for the maximum height of the rocket, which has already been given. I think it was supposed to ask for the maximum speed given the question prior to it.

Was the maximum height of the rocket 25m? I just read it from the graph but I'm not sure if there was a trick question in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

I tried to use the Sn formula, but kept getting syntax errors on my calculator... ended up just writing as much as I could out and hoping for attempt marks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Catherinem1616

Was the maximum height of the rocket 25m? I just read it from the graph but I'm not sure if there was a trick question in there.

I thought it was a trick question and said 25m aswell!!

Advertisement