Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag science??

Options
  • 17-06-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Does anyone have absolutely any idea what might come up? Apart from soil and genetics and experiments of which there are wayy too many? And I hate that we cant get our projects rechecked..
    I heard recently we can get marked wrong for weights and lactation yields we have learnt from books because the books were printed years ago and most of the targets have gone way up...is this true??
    Oh and does to describe the parts of the milking machine come up regularly as I havnt even looked at it and it seems to be so so complicated..thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There's already a thread here on ag science.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055312785

Your projects can't be rechecked because they have already been graded twice. There is no need to grade them a third time. Your teacher graded them and they were monitored by an external examiner (i'm one of those). No need for a third check.

There aren't that many experiments. Many of the experiments in the book like assessing the conformation, grow rates of cattle will never be examined as they are not lab experiments. Most of the plant experiments, food tests were on the junior science course so there is no excuse for not knowing them.

Also I'm assuming you're referring to the Breen and Mullen book. The weights and yields in there are perfectly acceptable. Milking machine has never been examined to my knowledge except for maybe a question on the methods and reasons for cooling the milk in the bulk tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

what about the herman geissell book. it looks really outdated.are the weights correct in that?

Would you advise that a student from the city should do the crop questions as students who live on a farm have a advantage when it comes to livestock questions?

haven't a clue, i never use it, most schools use the other book, if you are in doubt, look up the marking schemes on www.examinations.ie and compare the answers with your book.

it shouldn't make a difference if you are from a city or not in what questions you answer. for what it's worth i'm from a city. I didn't learn about agriculture until i went to college :)

learn what you understand not what you think will be an easier answered question.

The higher level papers aren't so obsessed with weights anyway. While you can use them to form a point in a question there is so much more information you can put in as well. unless it's a specific question about growth targets for replacement heifers in a dairy herd - then you need to know your weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

ok thanks so much. that makes me feel so much better. my teacher was advising us to do the crops question even thought we'd only spent about a week in total on it.

ok thanks so much. that makes me feel so much better. my teacher was advising us to do the crops question even thought we'd only spent about a week in total on it.

i've got a revision sheet done on potatoes and sugar beet, most of what you need to know is on it. i can send you a copy if you want. PM if interested. That and the scientific explanations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 maromo

hi, i am taking the ordinary exam on Friday, what do you reckon i should focus on? because I am Spanish and I am not very good at the subject. I have seen the exam papers and the genetics question is always very simple and there is always crosses. is that always going to be like that? Also is there any pattern in the short or long questions? Thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭leavo08

thanks so much that really helps..my teacher used the herman geissell book too and it really seems like it hasnt been updated since it was first printed. I think my teacher used notes from the other book and made it seem like he had typed them himself! I really havnt even looked at pigs, poultry, or forestry,should I look at them or concentrate on the wider topics like crops that i have a fair idea of??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

i've got a revision sheet done on potatoes and sugar beet, most of what you need to know is on it. i can send you a copy if you want. PM if interested. That and the scientific explanations.
    hey im on here avein a look be4 i head into d books
    had bad acc exam today! any channce you could help me out with the above offer?? id be so grateful

leavo08 wrote: »
    thanks so much that really helps..my teacher used the herman geissell book too and it really seems like it hasnt been updated since it was first printed. I think my teacher used notes from the other book and made it seem like he had typed them himself! I really havnt even looked at pigs, poultry, or forestry,should I look at them or concentrate on the wider topics like crops that i have a fair idea of??

don't bother with poultry or forestry, you're just wasting your time. The only thing you need to know about either is the following:

What is the function of the crop and gizzard in chickens?

Why is the practice of thinning trees carried out in forest tree production? (Scientific Explanations)

if you can answer both of those, you don't need to know anything else on those topics.

Pigs rarely comes up as a full question at HL, I think the last time (don't quote me on this) was 1999.
    Do bear in mind, there are a lot of things that are common to rearing calves, lambs and piglets/bonhams/bainbhs

rearing of bainbhs in a nutshell:

dock tails so they won't bite each other
    dock teeth to prevent harm to sow's teats
    make sure they are sucking the sow
    keep warm with infra red light
    iron injection to prevent anaemia.
    introduce ration in first week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ewewontknow

I was looking through the revise-wise book there and according to that something on grass comes up every year.e.g resowing a pasture etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement