Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag Science

Options
  • 12-06-2008 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

What is everyone else concentrating on for ag science. I have finished all my other exams so I have a week to study it. I have barely any work done in it and I need advice on what to study. I'm thinking about leaving out genetics but our teacher said its not that hard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bohs1890

genetics is piss...i leavin studyin 4 it till next week or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Stressed!

Yggdrasill wrote: »
    What is everyone else concentrating on for ag science. I have finished all my other exams so I have a week to study it. I have barely any work done in it and I need advice on what to study.
    Im the same............what should i concentrate on??

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tazer

Genetics will defo come up, so just learn it. In ag science it really isnt that hard and its a handy question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

im actually beginning to freak out about this stupid subject. I'm from the city and have only been on one farm in my life. Only reason im doing it is coz my principal said it was an easy verison of biology at the beginning of the year. He couldnt have been more wrong.

Well im hoping to dot he experiment question,soil and genetics,oh and question one.

Then hopefully sheep or dairy cows come up and grasslands.

My ideal paper. I cant stand crops.Theres no real predictions for ag tho is therE?>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yggdrasill

Does anyone have that rapid revision,(by elaine buckley murphy), book. If I learned everything in that book would that be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

There aren't predictions as such but there are things that come up every year that you can bank on...
    Genetics and soil are two definite questions and if you learn your livestock, that's another question at least. Then you're left with an easy 60 marks in you're Q.1, especially if you do biology. Learn your cereals and grassland and with Q. 8's you can just chance your arm.

That's my advice anyway.... hope it helps.

There aren't predictions as such but there are things that come up every year that you can bank on...
    Genetics and soil are two definite questions and if you learn your livestock, that's another question at least. Then you're left with an easy 60 marks in you're Q.1, especially if you do biology. Learn your cereals and grassland and with Q. 8's you can just chance your arm.

That's my advice anyway.... hope it helps.

Thanks

Is anyone leaving out the experiment question. Our teacher said there are over 200 experiments they can choose from to put on the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

ive heards theres no set list of experiments at all and that if you learn all those 50 whatever ones in the revision book theres a chance two will come up.Like thye're not too hard so id leaern them..But you'd want to know them inside out and theres still achance you wont know how to do the experiments. Its unfair really

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I teach ag science and this is what I would advise.

make sure you are able to answer question 1. It is worth 60 marks and all others are worth 48.

You will be still graded out of 300 if you attempt 6 x 48 mark questions.

When you are doing Q1 attempt all 10 parts, not just 6. I'm amazed at the amount of people who just do the bare 6 thinking they have got them right and end up with a poor mark in this question. While a lot of things can be asked in question one, a lot of the plant and animal physiology comes up in this question as well as the plant families and animal phyla. Functions and locations of body parts are also quite common. Definitions of words like hypogeal and epigeal germination, translocation, transpiration, osmosis, biennials. etc

Q2 is always soil. While there's a lot in this section, it's worth learning.
    Know the physical, chemical and biological properties of soil and the associated experiments.
    Know the carbon/nitrogen cycle minerals and nutrients.

Q3 There are two options. DO NOT do both, it's a waste of time where you could be doing another question, if you choose to do both, both will be corrected and you will get the higher of the two marks. One of these is usually a livestock question.

Q4 - It was mentioned here that 200 experiments could be examined here. I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Go back through the experiments you have studied over the last 2 years. There were only 6 areas in the projects that experiments fitted into and for the most part this is true for Q4 as well. There aren't going to be 4 experiments on one topic or area. Soil can be a handy one here if you have learned it for Q2. It's always worth having a go at this question. Make your answers detailed. Assume the person correcting it has to do the experiment based on your method so don't skimp on detail.

Q7 is always genetics, from my experience it's a like or hate question. If you are rubbish at genetics, it's probably best avoided, don't waste time on it and concentrate on something else. if you are good at genetics, make sure you know your definitions, stages of mitosis, applications of genetics to agriculture and of course how to do crosses. I would expect that there will be a dihybrid cross on this year.

Q8 There is choice within this question. Many students forget when answering this question that you only have to answer 2 out of 3 parts and avoid it because they don't know one of the parts.

Q9 Scientific explanations. While answered by many, is answered pretty badly and it shouldn't be. Change each of the statements into a question starting with the word 'Why' and it should make it easier to answer. Many students make the mistake of describing the concept stated and not stating why it is so. Eg. The wilting of sugar beet tops for a few days before feeding them to animals' Common mistake - Sugar beet tops are left to wilt in a field for 3 or 4 days, then the livestock are allowed into the field to graze on them. - This doesn't tell me anything Question form: Why are sugar beet tops allowed to wilt.... Sugar beet tops contain oxalic acid which causes scour in animals. Allowing them to wilt reduces the levels of oxalic acid in the tops so the animals do not get scour when they eat them.

Again there is a small choice within the question 5 parts to do 4 but again I would advise do all 5.

Regarding marking, for Q2, 3, 5, 6, 7, they are normally split into parts a, b, and c which means 3 x 16 = 48. While it's not written in stone, it's fairly safe to assume that marks are for the most part awarded in fours. So for each part a, b and c you should be making 4 decent points (4x4=16) and a few more if you can think of them.

For Q4 you have to answer 2 experiments for 24 marks each. Again that means you need to have 6 relevant points, but add in as much detail as possible.

Same goes for Q8 - answering 2 parts means 2x24 and the question might be broken down further.

Don't waste too much time trying to figure out how many marks are going for each part of a question but do be aware that you don't need to write an essay for something worth 4 marks.

Also finally, read each question carefully. Every word is there for a reason. Many students end up writing pages and pages of irrelevant information because they haven't read the question properly.

Eg. Describe the feeding and management of a lamb for the Easter market.

I think something similar to this was on the mock this year and I corrected tons of papers where students wrote a whole page on the feeding and management of the ewe prior to lambing and then went onto lambing. All the stuff prior to lambing is irrelevant and will get no marks and is a waste of time.
    Yes if in doubt as to what the question is asking, write what you know but if the question is clearly stated and is obviously about feeding lambs don't waste time writing about stuff that will get no marks.

A question like that could be answered as simply as follows:
    • Feed the lamb colostrum/ensure it suckles the mother
    • Keep warm under infra-red lamp
    • Dip navel in iodine
    • Introduce creep ration, silage, hay
    • After 3-4 weeks put out to graze
    • Slaughter at 40kg

Also in a fairly straightforward question like that, it does say feeding and management, so points are expected on both areas. Do not expect to get full marks for 4 points on feeding alone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

That's really helpful thanks. I only took up the subject at the start of 6th year so i need all the help i can get.

How did people's interviews go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭*belle*

Thanks for that! its a good guide.
    Doing ag sci in a year too so i am kinda worried about it.
    i hope they make the exam easy, cos i want to do well in it.
    its not an easy subject at all. the projects in my school were like amazing but a way too long tbh.two or three folders.or is that the norm?

I teach ag science and this is what I would advise.

make sure you are able to answer question 1. It is worth 60 marks and all others are worth 48.

You will be still graded out of 300 if you attempt 6 x 48 mark questions.

When you are doing Q1 attempt all 10 parts, not just 6. I'm amazed at the amount of people who just do the bare 6 thinking they have got them right and end up with a poor mark in this question. While a lot of things can be asked in question one, a lot of the plant and animal physiology comes up in this question as well as the plant families and animal phyla. Functions and locations of body parts are also quite common. Definitions of words like hypogeal and epigeal germination, translocation, transpiration, osmosis, biennials. etc

Q2 is always soil. While there's a lot in this section, it's worth learning.
    Know the physical, chemical and biological properties of soil and the associated experiments.
    Know the carbon/nitrogen cycle minerals and nutrients.

Q3 There are two options. DO NOT do both, it's a waste of time where you could be doing another question, if you choose to do both, both will be corrected and you will get the higher of the two marks. One of these is usually a livestock question.

Q4 - It was mentioned here that 200 experiments could be examined here. I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Go back through the experiments you have studied over the last 2 years. There were only 6 areas in the projects that experiments fitted into and for the most part this is true for Q4 as well. There aren't going to be 4 experiments on one topic or area. Soil can be a handy one here if you have learned it for Q2. It's always worth having a go at this question. Make your answers detailed. Assume the person correcting it has to do the experiment based on your method so don't skimp on detail.

Q7 is always genetics, from my experience it's a like or hate question. If you are rubbish at genetics, it's probably best avoided, don't waste time on it and concentrate on something else. if you are good at genetics, make sure you know your definitions, stages of mitosis, applications of genetics to agriculture and of course how to do crosses. I would expect that there will be a dihybrid cross on this year.

Q8 There is choice within this question. Many students forget when answering this question that you only have to answer 2 out of 3 parts and avoid it because they don't know one of the parts.

Q9 Scientific explanations. While answered by many, is answered pretty badly and it shouldn't be. Change each of the statements into a question starting with the word 'Why' and it should make it easier to answer. Many students make the mistake of describing the concept stated and not stating why it is so. Eg. The wilting of sugar beet tops for a few days before feeding them to animals' Common mistake - Sugar beet tops are left to wilt in a field for 3 or 4 days, then the livestock are allowed into the field to graze on them. - This doesn't tell me anything Question form: Why are sugar beet tops allowed to wilt.... Sugar beet tops contain oxalic acid which causes scour in animals. Allowing them to wilt reduces the levels of oxalic acid in the tops so the animals do not get scour when they eat them.

Again there is a small choice within the question 5 parts to do 4 but again I would advise do all 5.

Regarding marking, for Q2, 3, 5, 6, 7, they are normally split into parts a, b, and c which means 3 x 16 = 48. While it's not written in stone, it's fairly safe to assume that marks are for the most part awarded in fours. So for each part a, b and c you should be making 4 decent points (4x4=16) and a few more if you can think of them.

For Q4 you have to answer 2 experiments for 24 marks each. Again that means you need to have 6 relevant points, but add in as much detail as possible.

Same goes for Q8 - answering 2 parts means 2x24 and the question might be broken down further.

Don't waste too much time trying to figure out how many marks are going for each part of a question but do be aware that you don't need to write an essay for something worth 4 marks.

Also finally, read each question carefully. Every word is there for a reason. Many students end up writing pages and pages of irrelevant information because they haven't read the question properly.

Eg. Describe the feeding and management of a lamb for the Easter market.

I think something similar to this was on the mock this year and I corrected tons of papers where students wrote a whole page on the feeding and management of the ewe prior to lambing and then went onto lambing. All the stuff prior to lambing is irrelevant and will get no marks and is a waste of time.
    Yes if in doubt as to what the question is asking, write what you know but if the question is clearly stated and is obviously about feeding lambs don't waste time writing about stuff that will get no marks.

A question like that could be answered as simply as follows:
    • Feed the lamb colostrum/ensure it suckles the mother
    • Keep warm under infra-red lamp
    • Dip navel in iodine
    • Introduce creep ration, silage, hay
    • After 3-4 weeks put out to graze
    • Slaughter at 40kg

Also in a fairly straightforward question like that, it does say feeding and management, so points are expected on both areas. Do not expect to get full marks for 4 points on feeding alone

Thanks. Thats a great help.

*belle* wrote: »
    Thanks for that! its a good guide.
    Doing ag sci in a year too so i am kinda worried about it.
    i hope they make the exam easy, cos i want to do well in it.
    its not an easy subject at all. the projects in my school were like amazing but a way too long tbh.two or three folders.or is that the norm?

I assess the projects as well as teach. I would always say quality not quantity. Some people go to great lengths to put lots of information into their projects but when I take a closer look tons of stuff was taken straight off the internet - this does not reflect a student's personal experience which it is supposed to do.

Also don't be deceived by folders which are bulked out by students pasting all of their work onto coloured paper or cards. True, the presentation is lovely and it makes it nice to look at but it doesn't get any extra marks. Lots of my own class do that and it freaks out other students when they see these big folders coming in but if you were to take out all the fancy paper it would be a lot less. don't worry about other people's projects if you have all the information and evidence you need in yours.

Also do remember 45 marks out of the 100 go for experiments. Only 15 for livestock and 15 for crops, so while some students produce excellent projects in livestock with maybe 100 pages in them with loads of information, photos etc they can still only get 15 marks in that section at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maximus747

The problem I have with ag science is the actual studying of the course. The exam is on Friday and im starting to study for it now. That material its self is not that complicated, its just the books and materials are so frustrating to work with. Any pointers?

it might be a bit late for it now, but make out your own notes, there's a lot of waffle in the book (the Breen and Mullen one) or get hold of the rapid revision one (Elaine Buckley Murphy) it's pretty good.

Thanks, Yeh I have that and basically trying to learn it off, quite tricky course for an unstructured paper. Thinking I might just work through the exam papers at this stage seeing as genetics and soils are the only things that are defo gonna come up.

Maximus747 wrote: »
    Thanks, Yeh I have that and basically trying to learn it off, quite tricky course for an unstructured paper. Thinking I might just work through the exam papers at this stage seeing as genetics and soils are the only things that are defo gonna come up.

have a look at my earlier post about the paper.

Genetics and soil are the only definites but Q4 is always the experiments. It's not a hard question. Q9 is always the scientific explanations, which are repetitive, go back through the papers and marking schemes to check the answers. i assume you will be doing question 1 and you need one other after that, a livestock question should be straightforward enough

Thanks thats helped a lot, Kind of able to see it now in that perspective. Hoping that I will be able to get a high C or B for this. Not to hard I hope. Thanks again for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ewewontknow

I was looking through the revise-wise book there and according to that something on grass comes up every year.e.g resowing a pasture etc

• Advertisement

I was looking through the revise-wise book there and according to that something on grass comes up every year.e.g resowing a pasture etc

yes, it is one of the main topics

Soil and Fertilizers
    Crops
    Grassland
    Genetics
    Livestock
    Plant Physiology
    Animal Physiology

are the main topics

Advertisement