Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfect Carbonara

Options
  • 28-08-2014 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi, this last few days, I've been trying to perfect carbonara.

I love dishes that are simple, have as few, easy to find ingredients as possible, and that are quick to make, and that most people know what they are.

Carbonara fits the bill nicely !

My current method involves frying the non smoked bacon in oil, when it's done adding butter, the just boiled pasta, then throw in the eggs, then the cheese, a bit of pasta water if needed, then black pepper. Done.

What's yours ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

first person to mention the inclusion of cream, peas, or onion should get thrown out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Flick on the kettle, get the water boiling, pour it over, bit of a stir and done!

Knorr%20-%20Quick%20Lunch%20-%20Spaghetti%20Carbonara.JPG

(not really - I fry pancetta, cook spaghetti, pop 2 egg yolks, pancetta, loads of black pepper and grated cheese on top of the hot pasta and stir it through. I do sometimes add peas though! <throws self out>)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I don't make it anymore (replaced by risotto in my affections). My method was to grate the paramsean and add to the egg (some whole egg, some just yoke) along with the pepper. Give it a good stir to mix. Time the panchetta to be ready just before the pasta. Once the pasta is done drain and tip in the egg, cheese and bacon and stir. Then nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Very similar method - fry pancetta/rashers in garlic flavoured oil, beat eggs with some parmesan and black pepper. Throw all over pasta and stir vigourously - and keep adding a few tablespoons of pasta cooking water to get it to perfect creaminess

Oh and add mushrooms to that list of no-nos

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I usually fry some onions, garlic, mushrooms and bacon together. Then I add some peas. Cook the pasta, mix some cream and Parmesan and toss everything together.

;)

In all seriousness though, I can't stand this notion of only a 'proper' carbonara being acceptable. It's such a load of food snobbery. The key to cooking is making a recipe your own, and if that means adding ingredients, or not including others, so be it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It usually turns into pasta and scrambled egg unless you're careful to remove the heat from the pan and dollop in some of the pasta water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    I usually fry some onions, garlic, mushrooms and bacon together. Then I add some peas. Cook the pasta, mix some cream and Parmesan and toss everything together.

;)

In all seriousness though, I can't stand this notion of only a 'proper' carbonara being acceptable. It's such a load of food snobbery. The key to cooking is making a recipe your own, and if that means adding ingredients, or not including others, so be it.

No eggs? I like the sound of that because I hate the idea of runny egg and that puts me off making it.

I agree with you, you've got to cook what you and the people you're cooking for actually like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

since having a baby, any amount of eggs of any kind gives my wife severe stomach cramps for about 4 hours, so I have to make it without now.

BUT, it would have been (formally) with 1 egg + two yokes stirred in right at the end, into a half pack of spaghetti, with some fried off pancetta, a fistful of grated pecorino (usually parmesan these days) and a heap of freshly cracked pepper, with pasta water to get the consistency just right.

that said, since having kids it gets allsorts thrown in these days just to get them eating their veg! :D

oh and the eggs/yolks have been replaced with greek yoghurt instead. :o

No eggs? I like the sound of that because I hate the idea of runny egg and that puts me off making it.

I agree with you, you've got to cook what you and the people you're cooking for actually like.

Oh yeah, I forgot the eggs! I do use eggs :). It doesn't taste like runny egg; with the Parmesan and the pasta water, it just becomes a rich sauce.

In reality, I don't include mushrooms or peas, and it's 50/50 whether I include cream. I do if I'm being indulgent and there's also garlic bread available, but I don't I A) don't have cream, or B) if I'm trying to keep the calories down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Getting the consistency of the sauce right is the hardest thing really. Needs to be thick enough that the sauce sticks to the pasta but not so thick that it's like yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

No one adds parsley?

I use salted water, spaghetti, parmesan/pecorino, pancetta or chopped smokey bacon, garlic, black pepper, olive oil and parsley. And it is gorgeous.

There are other dishes where I'd use cream, mushrooms and whatnot, and they're tasty too. But in my head they aren't carbonara, even though they are delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

My brother has an egg allergy so we never had the traditional method carbonara at home.

Nowadays I cook mine: Penne pasta instead of spaghetti because I think the sauce mixes into it better. Smoked rashers or gammon steaks, cooked in a pan and added to the sauce to mix the flavours before adding that to the pasta. And the sauce is cheese sauce, sometimes homemade if I have time but usually just the packet stuff unfortunately. It still goes down a treat though :)

Sometimes I would replace the rashers or gammon with chopped grilled chicken just to change it up.

longshanks wrote: »
    No one adds parsley?
    aaah, i knew I was forgetting something! nice big lump of fresh parsley in it goes down very well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love this recipe from the Cooking Club! Have had it cooked for me a few times :D

Week 33 - Tagliatelle Carbonara with Garlic Bread by BaZmO*

dobman88 wrote: »
    My brother has an egg allergy so we never had the traditional method carbonara at home.

Nowadays I cook mine: Penne pasta instead of spaghetti because I think the sauce mixes into it better. Smoked rashers or gammon steaks, cooked in a pan and added to the sauce to mix the flavours before adding that to the pasta. And the sauce is cheese sauce, sometimes homemade if I have time but usually just the packet stuff unfortunately. It still goes down a treat though :)

Sometimes I would replace the rashers or gammon with chopped grilled chicken just to change it up.

As a side note of trivia, Bird's custard was invented by a bloke who's wife loved custard but was allergic to eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

duploelabs wrote: »
    As a side note of trivia, Bird's custard was invented by a bloke who's wife loved custard but was allergic to eggs

Yeah I knew there was something to that story cos the brother can have that custard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

The first few times I cooked carbonara I went down the traditional route. But over the years I just started adding and adding other stuff to suit my taste bud. Onions, mushroom, cream, white wine, chilli flakes. To me it's very tasty, and if you come to my house this is how I'll serve you carbonara.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That's one of the real joys of cooking - taking a basic concept, experimenting with it & ultimately making it your own to suit your tastes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    The first few times I cooked carbonara I went down the traditional route. But over the years I just started adding and adding other stuff to suit my taste bud. Onions, mushroom, cream, white wine, chilli flakes. To me it's very tasty, and if you come to my house this is how I'll serve you carbonara.

You should copyright it as Pasta Alafox !

• Advertisement

EunanMac wrote: »
    You should copyright it as Pasta Alafox !

Or just call it the blasphemous carbonara.

Anyway, how I would've done it originally was:
    Boil spaghetti accordingly.
    Fry pancetta in a bit of olive oil with a bashed garlic; take the garlic out before it browns too much.
    Meanwhile mix well freshly grated parmesan with 3 egg yolks + 1 whole egg
    Save about a mug of pasta water. Drain spaghetti and throw them into the pancetta pan, mix.
    Turn heat off, mix in the egg-cheese combo, keep stirring and pour in pasta water bit by bit until pasta is quite loosen but just coated.
    Black pepper and more freshly grated parmesan on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Or just call it the blasphemous carbonara.

Anyway, how I would've done it originally was:
    Boil spaghetti accordingly.
    Fry pancetta in a bit of olive oil with a bashed garlic; take the garlic out before it browns too much.
    Meanwhile mix well freshly grated parmesan with 3 egg yolks + 1 whole egg
    Save about a mug of pasta water. Drain spaghetti and throw them into the pancetta pan, mix.
    Turn heat off, mix in the egg-cheese combo, keep stirring and pour in pasta water bit by bit until pasta is quite loosen but just coated.
    Black pepper and more freshly grated parmesan on top.

How many would that serve?

Would it be practical to make it in a single serving (seeing as lots of you seem to put in a whole egg + yolks)

I can't imagine it keeping for reheating later :eek:

If I used pasta and the other stuff and a single egg, would I just wind up with scrambled egg pasta?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How many would that serve?

Would it be practical to make it in a single serving (seeing as lots of you seem to put in a whole egg + yolks)

I can't imagine it keeping for reheating later :eek:

Serves two. Reheating would result in eggs scrambling.
    I remember reading an 'authentic' recipe using five yolks and one whole, for two servings. I never attempted that though.

If making for one, and you're planning to add other things, I suppose just as one yolk (no white) and pasta water. Might not be as rich as two yolks but still edible I'm sure.

I remember reading an 'authentic' recipe using five yolks and one whole, for two servings. I never attempted that though.

I think I've made that one, or at least one very similar. Very very tasty, but also very rich and calorific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

My perfect Carbonara.... with some parsley coz I can and it tastes goooood.

image.jpg

Oh yeah i didn't use pancetta either because I live in the middle of no-where and chunky bacon was the best i could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Make it like Rick Stein and it will taste exactly like a Carbonara from a decent Italian restaurant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

unkel wrote: »
    Make it like Rick Stein and it will taste exactly like a Carbonara from a decent Italian restaurant :)

Ha, Rick and myself use the same recipe, good man Rick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I love this recipe from the Cooking Club! Have had it cooked for me a few times :D

Week 33 - Tagliatelle Carbonara with Garlic Bread by BaZmO*

Being my CC entry that's the way I always make it. I just prefer using the cream. It would be a bit pointless making a recipe that you weren't 100% into just because you wanted to make it "authentic"

Also, are all my pics dead?

Yeah, they are actually, B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

unkel wrote: »
    Is that a pigs cheek he's slicing?

Advertisement