Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Elections '12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jazzmatazz90

• Registered Users Posts: 11 frankiesayrelax

Dear Christ, those debates were heated! Not gonna comment on Gill because to be honest he's not going to win and he's the left candidate (but to be fair to him a very good candidate, probably the best left candidate in a UCDSU election).

Sheerin does not appeal to me and hopefully will not get elected. Atkinson was clever and stayed out of most of the bickering and only came in to give good points. Guiney did more harm than good when he spoke.

Sheerin and/or Atkinson seem to be getting into Guiney's head, interesting few days ahead. Looking forward to Monday night at Theatre L.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Dear Christ, those debates were heated! Not gonna comment on Gill because to be honest he's not going to win and he's the left candidate (but to be fair to him a very good candidate, probably the best left candidate in a UCDSU election).

Sheerin does not appeal to me and hopefully will not get elected. Atkinson was clever and stayed out of most of the bickering and only came in to give good points. Guiney did more harm than good when he spoke.

I think Sheerin and Guiney both came across terribly, especially when they were trying to catch each other out on who had or hadn't attended various marches/demos. Guiney gave himself plenty of rope to hang himself in his own manifesto (e.g. promising a car park, claiming to have spearheaded Save Our Track, etc.). Gill is a fool, and a loud one at that. He is totally inflexible on fees and yet unable to offer alternatives to the funding crisis. Atkinson at least had his homework done and could back up his proposals. He had the good sense to let the children bicker and only contributed when it was worthwhile.

Guiney and Sheerin came across like two children, and have no common sense between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

Dear god make it stop.

Won't be voting for him at all after that ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

This is the best Wexford has to offer student politics :/

Great N Bomb that he drops as well, fair play James.

Also "hard like sex with no lube" probably quote of the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

bbuzz wrote: »

Dear god make it stop.

Won't be voting for him at all after that ****e.

Remember the good old days when Rebecca Black was the most offensive thing on youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Deeluu wrote: »
    Great N Bomb that he drops as well, fair play James.

All that nonsense about him knowing shít about communications has gone out the window :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Any information about the running Ents Officer.

How did the hustings go? Anyone there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Who slipped the allegations about Guiney?

Gill's team or Atkinson's team?

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    Who slipped the info about Guiney to the UCD?

Gill's team or Atkinson's team?

James Atkinson seems just smarmy and organised enough to do it imho.

Just a feeling, NO EVIDENCE to back it!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

... what info about Guiney?

... what info about Guiney?

More allegations than info.

http://www.archive.org/embed/2012HustingsInFull

Go to 68 minutes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

gradlife wrote: »

Go to 68 minutes in.

Sorry I'll edit that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Go to 68 minutes in.

Atkinsons answer to the political affiliations question at 80 minutes is very good.

Aisling Sheeran's voice makes me want to punch babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Aisling Sheeran's voice makes me want to punch babies.

Incredibly annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Go to 68 minutes in.

OH! That's some juicy stuff...

It's a clever tactic, if somewhat evil, to imply something untoward that is very difficult to prove didn't happen. Especially since Guiney has confirmed he is being investigated for a different matter. As I'm sure the V.P. would never comment on a sensitive internal disciplinary matter like that.

The thing that really struck me was Brendan Lacey swanning around like the big man. We haven't seen him all year, he hasn't DONE anything all year and all of a sudden he crops up at hustings (which he bombed at last year btw) and criticises everyone, states that he doesn't think this years C&C candidates are as good as last year (have a look in the mirror mate) and just generally seeks attention like some sort of petulant child from the safety of his crowd of hacks.

He is the worst sabbatical officer I have even come across in my 4 years at UCD.

It's nice for him to show that rarely seen face of his anytime he decides to mouth of. It'd be even nicer if he actually did his job.

On the topic of hustings; Guiney is in big trouble and although I'm not a fan of Atkinson, he seemed well able to be able to shake off anything awkward that came his way whereas Guiney's rehearsed nice guy impression couldn't save him and he just ended up flustered and incoherent. I did almost feel sorry for him. I'd still like to know whose campaign team offered up the question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Pierce_1991 and its_phil banned until after elections, (bad day for underscores) for failing to declare

VagnerLove banned for the same, plus abuse, so he's gone for a week.

I've also had to make some changes, please bear in mind that abusive and defamatory statements about anybody, whether they're someone in the thread, a sabbat candidate, or former US president Jimmy Carter, are strictly against the boards.ie ToU. kthxbai.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What about former president Bill Clinton?

What about former president Bill Clinton?

He may or may not of had sex with THAT woman.

We have no proof tho so BANNED

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

I have no alliances with any of the candidates, but I will not be voting someone in again if I saw no value in their work this term. I am unsure why the current education officer is running again after the recent issues.

The only one I'm certain of so far is Gallagher for Welfare.

What issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Deeluu wrote: »
    (which he bombed at last year btw)

Ah like have your issues with Lacey if you like, but fairly sure he aced hustings last year. Press and neutrals generally agreed.

Lacey has worked hard this year and has had some successes, more then anything I maintain he was the best candidate in last years race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ah like have your issues with Lacey if you like, but fairly sure he aced hustings last year. Press and neutrals generally agreed.

Lacey has worked hard this year and has had some successes, more then anything I maintain he was the best candidate in last years race.

Aced it me arse! He couldn't answer the simple question from the Belfield FM lad. "What have you done this year?" He got fussed to the extent that even Paddy Guiney would have been embarrassed! He told me that himself and the host had a running issue with one another, although I've since had this confirmed to be a load of old tosh. Lacey was crap at the Hustings, and crap in the Office. Even he admits the latter!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Aced it me arse! He couldn't answer the simple question from the Belfield FM lad. "What have you done this year?" He got fussed to the extent that even Paddy Guiney would have been embarrassed! He told me that himself and the host had a running issue with one another, although I've since had this confirmed to be a load of old tosh. Lacey was crap at the Hustings, and crap in the Office. Even he admits the latter!

We're talking different hustings actually. Belfield FM and LawSoc hosted separate hustings last year, instead of the joint Belfield L&H ones this year. I think Lacey pretty comfortably won LawSoc hustings, and you seem to think Lee won Belfield FM hustings last year.

The only opinions on LawSoc hustings from last year are page 16 and 17 of this thread, FAD and SO. Positive to him.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056136711&page=16

We're talking different hustings actually. Belfield FM and LawSoc hosted separate hustings last year, instead of the joint Belfield L&H ones this year. I think Lacey pretty comfortably won LawSoc hustings, and you seem to think Lee won Belfield FM hustings last year.

The only opinions on LawSoc hustings from last year are page 16 and 17 of this thread, FAD and SO. Positive to him.

Despite any positive (and I'm sure very objective....NOT) opinions on his Lawsoc Hustings, it doesn't negate the rest of my point that he was useless at the BFM hustings and useless in his role as C&C. Therefore him turning up at this years hustings and mouthing off wasn't only ridiculous, it's inappropriate. He just loves the sound of his own voice, but won't put it to work for anything worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Fair enough. But he did make an absolute fool out of himself at the BFM Hustings. He has also done an awful job at C&C, which he seems to have accepted on Facebook. Coming along on Monday night to have a go was the last act of a failed student politician.

Either his terrible performance in office or his personal "issues" have also led him not to seek re-election. He knows he failed, we know he failed. It's as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Attention Sam Geoghegan campaign team. By yelling at people lining up to vote, you managed to quite elegantly lose your candidate any preference in an election where I was considering giving him my vote. GG.

Advertisement