Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

!! Irish / Gaeilge HL ... predictions, guesses, discussion ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CBGirl

Emma_19 wrote: »
    You know the réamhfhocal "do". What happens when do is follow by a vowel e.g "do" + "Oisin" does it become do hOisin?

No, it would be d'Oisin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mahnoor12383

By any chance would anyone have a really good essay on teicneolaíocht,like that would get me an A1 or even an A2 would be ok cos I had one but I've lost it as well as my notes on the topic and I don't think my teacher would have any notes on it now cos we did the essay last year. I would reaaallllyyyyy appreciate if someone could give me one or even send me a link or something.Thanks! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mahnoor12383

KatieG6 wrote: »
    Irish:

Poems:
    Geibheann or Colscaradh
    (These poems were never asked)

Stories:
    Cáca Milis or An Gnáthrud
    (Also never asked)

Essays:
    Foreigean (Violence)

Tallaí Uisce (Water Charges)

(My irish teacher said that these are topical.
    She thinks that there has been a lot of stabbings, violence and influence from the programme Love/Hate etc.

She also thinks that water charges are very topical along with politics.

English:
    Eilean Ní Chuilleanáin
    John Montague
    (New female on the course, Emily Dickinson and WB yeats were asked already)

For Irish (HL) do u think they would ask Dis again cos apparently it was answered badly last year and do u think an essay on daoine gan didean or an gcoras oideachas could come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

For Irish (HL) do u think they would ask Dis again cos apparently it was answered badly last year and do u think an essay on daoine gan didean or an gcoras oideachas could come up?

i think both of those essay titles are likely, im not covering Dis or an spailpin fanach whatsoever, im covering the 2 that havnt pretty well, then the 2012 stuff half arsed and not going near last years or 2 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭ Axel Small Firefight

RoRo979 wrote: »
    i think both of those essay titles are likely, im not covering Dis or an spailpin fanach whatsoever, im covering the 2 that havnt pretty well, then the 2012 stuff half arsed and not going near last years or 2 years ago
    We're just doing an gnáthrud and cacá mílis!
    Hopefully we're ok :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

How does one study An Triail? What topics do you cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

oktplz wrote: »
    How does one study An Triail? What topics do you cover?

I do character notes - trait and then example where you see this trait
    Hypocrisy - only theme you really need to know as it all links
    Dramatic Techniques as well
    Sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

I'll post Irish first and see if there's any interest in the post :-)

Irish:
    Geibheann or Colscaradh.
    Gnathrud or Caca Milis.
    Aiste: Natural Disasters or Global Warming

Do the institute often get these right? I'm interested!

Peg14 wrote: »
    I do character notes - trait and then example where you see this trait
    Hypocrisy - only theme you really need to know as it all links
    Dramatic Techniques as well
    Sorted!

Cheers! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,072 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What a strange first post. Welcome to boards.

You do know the SEC will be very interested if there is anyone (in a school or business) claiming to have inside info on what is coming up on papers?

Have you cleared this with the business you mention?

There are 1000 students in 6th year in the Institute, and well over half of us are spread out to different centres all over the country, usually the nearest exam centre to where we attended school before sixth year. So, no, there will not be replicas of the one essay being produced on the day, to answer the question :-)

Irish essays quite important to note:
    Daoine gán didean (homelessness)
    Uisce (as a debate)
    Téamh Domhanda & Tubaistí Nádurtha (global warming and natural disasters)
    The life of a teenager

I think that's about it in terms of essays, the main ones!

We're keeping an eye on Caoineadh Airt O'Laoighre and Colmain, for the extra poetry question, and if anyone has done both the extra poetry and An Triail, it's strongly advised to stick with the poetry Q's, as they are generally easier to answer and straight forward in comparison.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,072 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can you clarify that you have permission from the people in the institute to make these claims?

Is jimmy in 'an gnáthrud 'catholic or protestant again , getting confused here!

spurious wrote: »
    Can you clarify that you have permission from the people in the institute to make these claims?

no i'm only saying myself???

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tcofla

What a strange first post. Welcome to boards.

You do know the SEC will be very interested if there is anyone (in a school or business) claiming to have inside info on what is coming up on papers?

Have you cleared this with the business you mention?

What did he say?

Is jimmy in 'an gnáthrud 'catholic or protestant again , getting confused here!

we dont actally know but can take the assumption he is protestant

we dont actally know but can take the assumption he is protestant

Oh right cus i thought he is because he called his daughters elizabeth and margaret.
    Whats the story with their house, was it owned by catholics or something, the book is made on about it and dont understand :/

Oh right cus i thought he is because he called his daughters elizabeth and margaret.
    Whats the story with their house, was it owned by catholics or something, the book is made on about it and dont understand :/

ye i noticed that point about the children aswell, never knew about the house, all i know is that its bough off "housing executive"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Ag_science2015

ye i noticed that point about the children aswell, never knew about the house, all i know is that its bough off "housing executive"

not sure what religion they are but I think they bought a house in the other religions area

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

oktplz wrote: »
    Do the institute often get these right? I'm interested!
    Predictions are like throwing darts blindfolded. Occasionally you'll hit the dartboard; very occasionally you'll hit the bullseye.

Those who spend a lot of their time practising playing darts blindfolded will probably hit the dartboard slightly more often.

Then again, my granny could have a go and hit the bullseye 3 times in a row by sheer luck! :P

My general advice would be to pay little attention to predictions; remember Plathgate, or Heaney not appearing last year ... and that's just famous examples from one part of one paper for one subject! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭ Esther Sour Nose

If anything but the 2 stories & poetry comes up I'm screwed.

With the essays, I've nothing on Water Charges or the environment, I'm a bit worried about that but I have about 7 so I should be OK. I think Mean Cumarsaide/Idirlíon/Social Networks will come up in some format.

Predictions are like throwing darts blindfolded. Occasionally you'll hit the dartboard; very occasionally you'll hit the bullseye.

Those who spend a lot of their time practising playing darts blindfolded will probably hit the dartboard slightly more often.

Then again, my granny could have a go and hit the bullseye 3 times in a row by sheer luck! :P

My general advice would be to pay little attention to predictions; remember Plathgate, or Heaney not appearing last year ... and that's just famous examples from one part of one paper for one subject! ;)

I'd normally avoid predictions too, but in the case of Irish, when
    the paper is set around November, its interesting to have a look at
    what is going on in the media at the time, vs. what comes up on the paper!
    Hence the logic behind thinking Water is a likely topic for an essay, debate or speech!
    Homelessness is another favourite, it was in the news at that time particularly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, in fairness, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole water debacle appeared on some paper, somewhere, given its currency.

Or it could appear on a few papers in some form ...

... or no paper at all, because every set of paper setters reckoned it would appear on every other paper, and deliberately avoided it!! :pac:

head_explodes.jpg

Well, in fairness, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole water debacle appeared on some paper, somewhere, given its currency.

Or it could appear on a few papers in some form ...

... or no paper at all, because every set of paper setters reckoned it would appear on every other paper, and deliberately avoided it!! :pac:

Point taken. FML

The SEC published their report on the predictability of papers this year, so you would expect it to have some impact, even where existing perceived patterns exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

It depends what happens following the report and the investigation.

Sometimes results are withheld for that subject.

Learned off essays are a very dangerous strategy and to be fair, should not be necessary at all at HL. It's not that difficult a language.

Hi spurious. I'm almost 100% sure that if an examiner corrects 30 very similar essays that were clearly learned off by heart by everyone in the class, they dont report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Broseph wrote: »
    Hi spurious. I'm almost 100% sure that if an examiner corrects 30 very similar essays that were clearly learned off by heart by everyone in the class, they dont report it.

Learned off essays are not reported. No more than they wud be for learned answers for any other question, or indeed, for any other subject.

Learned off essays are not reported. No more than they wud be for learned answers for any other question, or indeed, for any other subject.

Where exactly the same answers are consistently found in a centre, an examiner should consult their advising examiner about it.

I say that as a previous examiner, not someone guessing about what happens.

• Advertisement

should be reported but i assume isnt. just like how examiners during the practical "should" report things but my teacher was going around bulding peoples pieces for them and we were all talking haha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement