Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

!! Irish / Gaeilge HL ... predictions, guesses, discussion ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭ Esther Sour Nose

My teacher maintains that Coras Oideachas will come up (she's always right apparently!!) and has given us a lovely A4 essay sheet to learn off.

But no one knows. It's near impossible to guess what's coming up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,072 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My teacher maintains that Coras Oideachas will come up (she's always right apparently!!) and has given us a lovely A4 essay sheet to learn off.

But no one knows. It's near impossible to guess what's coming up.

Does she realise all of your class will be in the one centre and have the same examiner?
    Does she know the examiner has to report identical essays?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

My predictions:

- Something to do with the new JC/ teachers strike/ education system
    - Healthcare/ health in Ireland/ ebola crises
    - The environment/ water charges/ protesting etc. etc
    - Peoples reaction to Irish as a language/ something to do with the 'curry my yoghurt' remark
    etc. etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭ Esther Sour Nose

spurious wrote: »
    Does she realise all of your class will be in the one centre and have the same examiner?
    Does she know the examiner has to report identical essays?

Will we get marked 0 if a few students have an identical essay?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,072 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Will we get marked 0 if a few students have an identical essay?

It depends what happens following the report and the investigation.

Sometimes results are withheld for that subject.

Learned off essays are a very dangerous strategy and to be fair, should not be necessary at all at HL. It's not that difficult a language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭KatieG6

Irish:

Poems:
    Geibheann or Colscaradh
    (These poems were never asked)

Stories:
    Cáca Milis or An Gnáthrud
    (Also never asked)

Essays:
    Foreigean (Violence)

Tallaí Uisce (Water Charges)

(My irish teacher said that these are topical.
    She thinks that there has been a lot of stabbings, violence and influence from the programme Love/Hate etc.

She also thinks that water charges are very topical along with politics.

English:
    Eilean Ní Chuilleanáin
    John Montague
    (New female on the course, Emily Dickinson and WB yeats were asked already)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Helenm98

HI,
    :)
    I need some help in how to answer a comprehension and getting full marks.
    My teacher tells me that I can take down the answer straight from the text but it'll only get me some marks but not all so i wanna know how to get full marks and manipulate the answers in to my own words.
    Plus at the end of the comprehension theres always a question about the genres .
    I have know idea what to write , I wanna know if theres like a standard or fixed answer that i can learn off.

Thanks guy , Appreciate your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

you can take the answer straight from the text and you WILL get full marks if it right and not too long, look up the marking scheme for key words needed

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orangey24

Helenm98 wrote: »
    HI,
    :)
    I need some help in how to answer a comprehension and getting full marks.
    My teacher tells me that I can take down the answer straight from the text but it'll only get me some marks but not all so i wanna know how to get full marks and manipulate the answers in to my own words.
    Plus at the end of the comprehension theres always a question about the genres .
    I have know idea what to write , I wanna know if theres like a standard or fixed answer that i can learn off.

Thanks guy , Appreciate your help :)
    You can take it directly from the text but you can't take too much out if it as I just shows you could possibly be guessing. Highlight Key words in the question then look for that word in the comprehension and more than likely will be answer. You can't take it directly from text for example you may have to change a few words around such as if it's 'mé' change to 'sé' or 'sí' if possible try put answer in your own words but if your like myself, find that difficult, take directly. As for q 6 a is picking out grammar so know what each tense is and grammar terms. Q6b is your own words but scan through the comprehension again to find key facts that could back up your answer to develop your point. It would be very handy to know lots of adjectives as the question could be e.g describe the person in this text yano ? And just but in some nathanta cainte that you would use in essays. Hope this helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

Comprehensions are testing exactly what they say on the tin - do you comprehend the piece. Regardless of whether you copy directly out of the text or not, if you actually understand what the piece is saying you'll get your marks, because you'll know exactly how to manipulate the answer.
    The best possible way to do this is to practise and build up your vocab. In TY I took one or two past comprehensions a week and combed through them for words I didn't understand. Don't bother writing out the actual questions as that will just waste your time, but make sure by the end of the week that you understand everything. After a few weeks you'' notice that the same words keep cropping up time and time again.
    For the genre question know the main features of a píosa iriseoireachta and give an example of where it was used in each paragraph. Also as the other poster mentioned having a list of adjectives is a good idea.
    I really cannot stress how much easier comprehensions are when you understand what you're talking about. I always get them done in 30mins now and have extra time for the poetry and prose questions. Comprehensions easy marks in comparison!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

I'm hoping na meain chumarsaide or the internet comes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I have three essays ready to be learned off, might do another.

Coras oideachas
    Suiomhanna soisialta
    Coiriulacht in Eireann

Others that I think might come up include terrorism and maybe the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Any chance of Tourism coming up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭ Axel Small Firefight

Teacher has given us a story to learn off which supports many feelings and fits a wide range, taking me years to learn it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Noire

Does anyone have notes on coras oideachas? I'm desperate :'(

irish essays - i guarantee at least 2 of these will come up, war/terrorism/racism , old people, environment, old people, educational system, homelessness. Even if a title like "staid na tire" comes up just mix them together

Noire wrote: »

there you go my friend, need anymore dont hesiate

Noire wrote: »

woops file to big to attach, effort of getting an email im sure you just want it now so will send it on this.

An Córas Oideachas
    I 1906 nuair a bhunaigh Padraig mac Piaras a chuid scoileanna, an aidhm a bhí i gceist aige ná oideachas saor Ghaelacha chur ar fáil do ghach cáilín agus buachaill Éireannach gan an bhrúidiúlacht. Nuair a dhéanaim macnamh ar seo anois, imíonn m’intinn ar strae, ag smaoineamh cad a cheapfadh an Piarsach faoin gcóras Oideachas sa lá atá inniu ann. Tá sé intuighte go bhfuil fadhbanna i ngach réimse den chóras ó thus ama ach ar ndóigh tá siad ag dul in olchas lá i ndiaidh lae mar gheall ar an gcúlú ecanamaiochta atá ar siúl faoi láthair.
    An phríomhfhadhb a bhí againn ó thaobh oideachais de ag tús an fhichiú haois ná nach raibh dotháin airgid nó scoileanna ar fáil chun freastaíl ar óige na tíre. Ni raibh luach ar an oideachas ionnas go rabhthas buartha faoi mháireachtáil in ionad ag léamh Shakespeare nó ag foghlaim na Gaeilge. Bhí cuid is mó den tír neamhliteartha agus ní raibh suim acu é a ceartú. Afach le teacht na Soarstáite,tháinig feabhas ar an suíomh agus bhí gluaiseacht láidir i dtreo an oideachais sna fichidí. Nuair a chruthaíodh sprioc aois arb féidir le daltai an scoil a fhágáil, bhíothas ag díriu ar an litearthacht, chun ionannas agus tuairimí cearta thabhairt do mhiuntir na tíre.
    Cé nach raibh caoga faoin gcéad de scoláiri i lár na haoise ag freastáil ar choláiste tríú léibheal, ar a laghad, bhí siad in ann a n-ainmneacha a scríobh agus forim a líonadh amach. Le teacht saibhreas na tíre sna hochtóidí agus sna nóchóidí, tháinig feabhas ollmhór ar chursaí oideachais agus samhlaíodh gurb é an rud is tabhachtaí chun an tír agus a muintir a fhobairt. Cruthaíodh achmháinní breise, tháínig méadú ar scoileanna de ghach saghas; Gaelscoileanna san áireamh agus bhí córas iontach san áireamh i gcomhair daoine míchumasacha nó daltaí le tréithe speisialta san oideachais. Ach i ndeireadh na dála, cosnaíonn na rudai úd airgead. Bhí an t-airgead seo le fáil in am na flúirseachta ach anois le cúlu inár measc, tá easpa airgid agus tá an córas oideachais ag fulaingt.

Tá ocht scoil caoga sa stáit agus gach bliain, íocann an Rialtas leath agus seachó seacht milliún euro orthu. Le blianta anuas thug an Rialtas tacaíocht do scoileanna nua bhunaithe agus achmhainní breise do na Roinne difriúla, anios afach toisc go bhfuil an tír i gcrúachas, tá cosc ar an airgead, tá siad ag gearradh siar na hinfheistíochta agus ag cur níos mo cánach ar na múinteoirí. Chomh maith leis seo bhíothas ag caint faoi tháilli a thabhairt do daltaí triú léibheal, buiochas le Dia nár tharla sé, shamhlófaí go bhfuil an rialtas ag iarraidh go mbeadh óige na tíre go léir ag dul ar imirce-arís!
    Leis sin ráite, tháinig conspóid chun cinn nuair a fograíodh go bhfuil athrú ag teacht ar an gcúrsa don Teastas shoisearach i mbliana. Gan tasc ná tuairisc thainig na hathruithe isteach agus tá ar ghach dul duine cloí leo. An deachtóireacht atá againn mar ní fheicim an daonlathas. Bhí an tír trína chéile mar gheall orthu siúd ach mar is gnáth níor éist an Rialtas. Táthar ag caint faoi chúrsa nua don Ardteist le blianta anuas mar is féidir a admháil nach n-óireann an cúrsa atá againn do ghach duine. Gach bliain bíonn cónspóidí ar siúl faoi agus bíonn an iomarca brú ar daltaí, is comortas atá ann go macánta. An gá dom tagairt a dhéanamh ar an bpraiseach a tharla le linn an scrúdú Bhearla cúpla bliain o shinn? Cruthaíodh cíor thuathail mar gheall ar bhotún a rinneadh ó thaobh na páipear de agus leis an seafóid sna méan cumarsáide bhí gach dalta ardteistiméireachta thar a bheith buartha faoi. Dá mbeadh méasúchán leanúnach ar siúl ní bheadh an suiomh chomh dona sin.
    Ag diriú ar na heachtraí thuas luaite agus na leathanta thart, cad atá i ndán dúinn agus don chóras sa tír seo? Muna bhfuil airgead, tá sé cinnte go mbeidh na daltaí ag fulaingt. De réir an seanfhocail is í Éire tír na nOllamh agus na Naomh, ach gan oideachas ceart ní bheidh níos mó Ollaimh sa tír, ach daoine atá brean den a gcuid guthanna néamhcloiste agus brean den Rialtas nach n-éisteann leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Noire

^ Thank you!! You're a lifesaver <33 Goodluck on your exams c:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

If anybody had a seandaoine/meain cumarsaide essay id appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

What is seandaoine??? and why is everyone hoping that it will come up?!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭ Axel Small Firefight

What is seandaoine??? and why is everyone hoping that it will come up?!:eek:
    Old people
    It came up on the pres lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

Its elderly people!It came up in 2011,2007,2003 and is due up now

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

Anyone have the titles from the examcraft mock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

How does one write an essay on old people.??
    Like I'll be happy with education or violence

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tcofla

RoRo979 wrote: »
    irish essays - i guarantee at least 2 of these will come up, war/terrorism/racism , old people, environment, old people, educational system, homelessness. Even if a title like "staid na tire" comes up just mix them together

How can you possibly guarantee this?

tcofla wrote: »
    How can you possibly guarantee this?

The sec always write papers on events that were happening around the time. Believe it or not i couldnt care less, im 100% sure ill be covered with them titles

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tcofla

RoRo979 wrote: »
    The sec always write papers on events that were happening around the time. Believe it or not i couldnt care less, im 100% sure ill be covered with them titles

Sassy roro

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Kaitlyn2424

If anyone has vocabulary or even an essay on drugs in Ireland in Irish can they pist it here please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

If anyone has vocabulary or even an essay on drugs in Ireland in Irish can they pist it here please
    http://media.wix.com/ugd/122b9c_119bd80c799946ab8d333ef0c59d06e3.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement