Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The definitive guide to saturated fat (or how to stop worrying and love butter)

Options
13»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I love the idea of a boards-based study btw, however it would need to have about 50 people per arm to be adequately powered (year long, based on LDL, HDL, trigs and Lp(a)). I doubt I convince that many people to take my word for it that saturated fat is good for you :)

If you think that this forum is full of people who all happen to think saturated fat isn't bad for you, then think again. The small level of consensus we do have was battled out over many a multi-page debate. And as you are now, each poster was asked to provide a high level of evidence (human and more than a single case report) and to this date there hasn't been anything overwhelming cited.

You seem to imply that I am closed-minded, honestly I'm not, I have changed my mind about lots of things and I'll change my mind again. But do trust that this has been my pet research project for four years now. Once my master's thesis is done I'd like to give a talk to a few medical classes and strike up debate. Because seriously, once you start looking into the history of how this recommendation came to be, how this was decided by fraudulent science and politics rather than any quest for truth, you start to become pretty much set upon correcting people who have been duped and misled.

I can see from a litigation point of view how you are required to be conservative. But with so little evidence against saturated fat given the bias against it, it's wholly plausible that reducing it has unknown and possibly harmful consequences. In which case, how can you justify an intervention based on inadequate evidence? That is not evidence-based medicine.

You are the type of person I am trying to convince. I am simply an anonymous person on the internet but you have the ability to change people's lives for good or bad based on your advice. If it were me, I'd want to be sure the advice I was giving out was based on sound evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Bumping this up for the benefit of people who are worried about eggs and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Go_Long

Hi All,

I was introduced to the High Fat/Low Carb world through Ron Rosedale's book The Rosedale Diet - The main reason he sites for disaproving of satruated fat, apart from coconut oil and the likes, is that it makes cell membranes rigid and hard and inhibits the "flow" of nutrients into cells - Now he doesn't elaborate on the negative effects (apart from bad membranes = bad health) or provide any sources or anything but I though it was an interesting point that hasn't been mentioned around here - Any thoughts? For or against??

Go_Long wrote: »
    Hi All,

I was introduced to the High Fat/Low Carb world through Ron Rosedale's book The Rosedale Diet - The main reason he sites for disaproving of satruated fat, apart from coconut oil and the likes, is that it makes cell membranes rigid and hard and inhibits the "flow" of nutrients into cells - Now he doesn't elaborate on the negative effects (apart from bad membranes = bad health) or provide any sources or anything but I though it was an interesting point that hasn't been mentioned around here - Any thoughts? For or against??

It's true that chronic high levels of palmatic acid (a saturated fat) in the blood is a BAD thing, that's why I'm so grateful I get to eat saturated fat and not inject it directly into my arteries :D

Levels of blood fats are largely controlled by the liver, and if the liver isn't up to scratch you're gonna get high cholesterol, screwed up blood sugar and lots of other fun things.

Saturated fat actually may help detoxify the liver, as in it will prevent damage to the liver in the presence of liver toxins such as alcohol. So if your liver is in great shape that will ensure that it will easily maintain the optimal balance of fats in the blood.

It's oxidisation of fat hanging around too long in the blood that will cause most cases of heart disease, and polyunsaturated fat is far more prone to oxidisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Go_Long

That seems reasonable - What about the cell membrane composition though? Rosedale suggests that if you consume saturated fat, "it will often end up in your cell membranes" which can lead to nutrients circulating in your bloodstream instead of getting into the cells which can be "in some cases harmful" - Is this something worth worrying about? Intuitively it sounds like a nice, permeable cell membrane would be very important..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Saturated fat actually may help detoxify the liver, as in it will prevent damage to the liver in the presence of liver toxins such as alcohol. So if your liver is in great shape that will ensure that it will easily maintain the optimal balance of fats in the blood.

It's oxidisation of fat hanging around too long in the blood that will cause most cases of heart disease, and polyunsaturated fat is far more prone to oxidisation.

I'm just wondering, when you say 'may help' I get the impression that it's not proven yet, is that what you ment by may?

Orla K wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, when you say 'may help' I get the impression that it's not proven yet, is that what you ment by may?

All the evidence is in mice and rat studies at the moment, hence my hesitance to say 'will help'.

Go_Long wrote: »
    That seems reasonable - What about the cell membrane composition though? Rosedale suggests that if you consume saturated fat, "it will often end up in your cell membranes" which can lead to nutrients circulating in your bloodstream instead of getting into the cells which can be "in some cases harmful" - Is this something worth worrying about? Intuitively it sounds like a nice, permeable cell membrane would be very important..

I'd like to see the evidence that a diet higher in saturated fat leads to a higher level of saturated fat in cell membranes. I haven't seen any.

Nutrition scientists often confuse the effects of molecules as internal metabolites with their effect as an ingested food. The body doesn't just dump what goes into the mouth right into the cells. We have a very complex metabolism for a very good reason.

We can very easily desaturate any sat fat with enzymes to produce a monounsaturated fat. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think those enzymes are produced again in the liver. Once again I advise people to look after your liver, and it will look after you.

Trans fats on the other hand, your body has no enzymes for (as artificially produced trans fats have a novel chemical structure that our body has no idea what to do with) and these WILL end up as part of the cell membrane and cause all manner of havoc in cell signalling.

I hope that explains things!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hi El Dangeroso,

Just a quick question, in your opinion is eating a 100 grams of cashew nuts a day bad? This whole omega 6 thing has thrown me for a loop, I'm currently trying to gain weight for weightlifting and I thought this was the healthy option for getting in the cals?

Honestly, I don't know.

We know that omega 6 in the form of vegatable oil is bad for you, but we know that the fructose in refined sugar is bad for you. But take fructose in a whole food like fruit and you get improved health, not worse.

That's the problem with nutrition science is far too reductionist, taking components of food out of isolation and they seem to lose some of the original properties.

Generally the science on nuts is positive. But that's comparing eating nuts to eating junk food so anything would be an improvement.

We'll have to see when further research is out, but until the meantime I do try and minimise my n6 intake no matter the source to emulate populations with very low heart disease. If it's a choice between nuts and processed food though (which happens sometimes when trying to get food when travelling) then nuts are the clear winner.

Ok, so gun to your head, if you had to pick a nut to over indulge on daily, which would it be?

Also if you could, what wud be the best foods in your opinion to eat if one was trying to gain weight, ie healthy but also calorific?

Cheers for the knowledge bombs your dropping here btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Hi El Dangeroso,

Just a quick question, in your opinion is eating a 100 grams of cashew nuts a day bad? This whole omega 6 thing has thrown me for a loop, I'm currently trying to gain weight for weightlifting and I thought this was the healthy option for getting in the cals?
    I'm gonna butt in here...

According to this site http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3095/2 100g of cashew nuts have 7.8g polyunsaturated fatty acids.

If you adhere to the rule of keeping the amount of polyunsaturated fats in your diet to <4% of total calories, then 7.8g of PUFAs is 70kcal. If you are a women and eating approx 1800kcals/day then you are getting 3.9% of your total calories/day as PUFAs. If you are a bloke and eating aapprox 2200kcals/day then you are getting 3.1% total calories/day as PUFAs.

However, when you factor in all the other sources of PUFAs in your diet along with your 100g of cashew nuts, not to mind trying to balance the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 PUFAs to 2:1, then you will easily exceed the your total PUFA intake of <4% of total calories.

Just my 2 cents on PUFAs in cashew nuts...

Ok, so gun to your head, if you had to pick a nut to over indulge on daily, which would it be?

Also if you could, what wud be the best foods in your opinion to eat if one was trying to gain weight, ie healthy but also calorific?

Cheers for the knowledge bombs your dropping here btw!

Definitely milk, so easy to tuck away 800 calories of that a day.
    I'm gonna butt in here...

According to this site http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3095/2 100g of cashew nuts have 7.8g polyunsaturated fatty acids.

If you adhere to the rule of keeping the amount of polyunsaturated fats in your diet to <4% of total calories, then 7.8g of PUFAs is 70kcal. If you are a women and eating approx 1800kcals/day then you are getting 3.9% of your total calories/day as PUFAs. If you are a bloke and eating aapprox 2200kcals/day then you are getting 3.1% total calories/day as PUFAs.

However, when you factor in all the other sources of PUFAs in your diet along with your 100g of cashew nuts, not to mind trying to balance the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 PUFAs to 2:1, then you will easily exceed the your total PUFA intake of <4% of total calories.

Just my 2 cents on PUFAs in cashew nuts...

Nice one RC! You don't have to balance your omega 6 with omega 3 if PUFA is less than 4% though. It's either/or.

So yeah, if cashews were your only source of PUFA you'd be good to go.

I think I like avocados and olive oil too much so that's what I spend my PUFA on!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

I think I like avocados and olive oil too much so that's what I spend my PUFA on!

Your not alone, I love halving an avocado, mixing 2 parts olive oil to 1 part vinegar and pouring into the crater from the stone and busting into it with a teaspoon..... unreal! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Nice one RC! You don't have to balance your omega 6 with omega 3 if PUFA is less than 4% though. It's either/or.
    Did not know that!

Cheers for the info folks, maybe Ill switch to walnuts! I drink about 2L of milk a day and aim for around 3000 cals a day, so getting them from good sources can be difficult enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Advertisement