Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marlborough Street Public Transport Priority Bridge

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

lxflyer wrote: »
    I suspect that the cycle lane will be instated when Marlborough Street becomes two way again.
    Which will be never. Marlborough Street will be one lane when BXD is complete. And as the Luas crosses from one side of the road to the other, it won't be able to share roadspace with other southbound traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭AngryLips

monument wrote: »
    This just is not true. Contra-flow cycling is included on high to very high volume streets in Dublin.

No, you misunderstand me, I meant cyclists cycling against traffic and in the absence of a contra flow lane is unusual except on low traffic and smaller streets and I've never seen it happen on a city bridge.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

None at first, but taxis can use it.

Perhaps in time some routes may divert that way.

Dublin Bus has a graphic showing some routes that will use the north quays contra-flow bus lane as turning onto the south quays.

This should be using the bus lane on the left side of the bridge. The east side bus lane seems to be only for traffic going straight off the bridge and towards the Garda station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

monument wrote: »
    Dublin Bus has a graphic showing some routes that will use the north quays contra-flow bus lane as turning onto the south quays.

This should be using the bus lane on the left side of the bridge. The east side bus lane seems to be only for traffic going straight off the bridge and towards the Garda station.

Apologies, my bad! I misread the question and I thought the question was asking about what routes will use the "with flow" bus lane on Eden Quay between O'Connell Bridge and the Rosie Hackett Bridge, which is none at the moment.

Routes 14, 27x, 33d, 33x and 142 which all stop on D'Olier Street will use the bus lane to turn right onto Burgh Quay.

Routes 15, 27 and 151 will continue straight onto Hawkins Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Apologies, my bad! I misread the question and I thought the question was asking about what routes will use the "with flow" bus lane on Eden Quay between O'Connell Bridge and the Rosie Hackett Bridge, which is none at the moment.

Routes 14, 27x, 33d, 33x and 142 which all stop on D'Olier Street will use the bus lane to turn right onto Burgh Quay.

Routes 15, 27 and 151 will continue straight onto Hawkins Street.

Thankyou. That does seem a little pointless, Hawkins street would give buses faster access through college green, surely all north south routes should just co straight through. If there were routes crossing the bridge and proceeding west on the south quays that might make more sense.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Thankyou. That does seem a little pointless, Hawkins street would give buses faster access through college green, surely all north south routes should just co straight through. If there were routes crossing the bridge and proceeding west on the south quays that might make more sense.

It is far from pointless.

Serving stop 336 in D'Olier Street means that both the 14 and 16 have one common stop in the city centre.

Both serve Ballinteer, which means that people travelling there have one city centre stop where they can have a choice of bus.

Routing the 14 via D'Olier Street also means that all three routes operating to Dundrum (14, 44 and 61) all serve the same stop too.

So as you can see it is a little bit of joined up thinking.

The other routes are peak time extras and it isn't so much of an issue.

In the future it is planned for the 27b and 79 to merge - I would expect that route to use the bridge as well. It will continue up the south quays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Dublin City Council has explained on Twitter why there isn't a contra-flow cycle lane yet:
    Northbound cycle lane on #hellorosie hasn't been installed yet as it needs integration with the quay junctions.

I'm not sure what "integration with the quay junctions" means. A fancy way to say they need to install traffic lights for bikes, maybe?

That said, if Marlborough Street is becoming one way, the only available manoeuvre at the end of the contra lane is to turn right, and that's a manoeuvre that can be done earlier at Butt Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Dublin City Council has explained on Twitter why there isn't a contra-flow cycle lane yet:

I'm not sure what "integration with the quay junctions" means. A fancy way to say they need to install traffic lights for bikes, maybe?

That said, if Marlborough Street is becoming one way, the only available manoeuvre at the end of the contra lane is to turn right, and that's a manoeuvre that can be done earlier at Butt Bridge.

I was thinking as much that it would be included later. If the contraflow was to be left out altogether then surely they wouldn't have bothered to leave in the hatched area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,900 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Did they rid the area temporarily of the junkies for the ceremony?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did they rid the area temporarily of the junkies for the ceremony?
    Constructive posts only please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Didn't realise taxis will be using this bridge. It will be interesting to see Taxis trying to jump from the Clifton Court rank across Eden Quay to access the South Quays..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Jayzus, I did a degree in the time it took to build a 40 foot bridge.

So when is the linkup expected to be complete / up and running?

(I presume it wasn't deemed a good idea to be doing the rail either side of the bridge at the same time as the 3+ year construction to have a universal completion date and have it ready to go now?)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

NuMarvel wrote: »

There are plans for a two-way cycleway running along the north quays from the Point to Heuston so when that comes on stream, there will be left and right turns available from the north-bound cycle lane. Subject to the agreement of the newly-elected city council, construction of the cycleway could commence early next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Jayzus, I did a degree in the time it took to build a 40 foot bridge.

So when is the linkup expected to be complete / up and running?

(I presume it wasn't deemed a good idea to be doing the rail either side of the bridge at the same time as the 3+ year construction to have a universal completion date and have it ready to go now?)

I think the bridge was designed and funded before it was 100% that Luas BXD was going ahead. The bridge was needed anyway for bus routes even if BXD had not been confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Victor wrote: »

I agree, the bridge looks very well imo. Even better when a few Luas' are wizzing across it. I just wish they dressed up the rest of the quays as much as they have this new bridge. It looks a bit overkill / out of place with it being so lit up compared to the dark, dingey backdrop. Further down the quays towards Dublin bay there's plenty of mood lighting that makes the quays look great at night, but they should really do it the whole length to Phoenix Park.

Also, it's a shame the playhouse / liberty hall thing was so brief, always thought it added a lot to the quays and would look well as a backdrop to the new bridge.

playhouse.jpg

Bridge spotters

308039.JPG

308040.JPG

308041.JPG

308042.JPG

308043.JPG

308044.JPG

The first litter
    308045.JPG

308046.JPG

308047.JPG

308048.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Aemtler

Thanks for the photos Victor. I will have to head down there at some point and check it out live.

• Advertisement

308054.JPG

308055.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Nip picking but is it just me or does the name plaque look dirty/old already?

Nip picking
    It does nit. :pac:

Perhaps that it was a dusk / night shot probably doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

308046.JPG

Why is there a gap in the traffic island, but no dish in the riverside kerb?
    Why no no-entry signs, just markings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It does nit. :pac:

Perhaps that it was a dusk / night shot probably doesn't help.

Stupid phone !

Why no no-entry signs, just markings?
    They were still working on it on Tuesday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The new bridge looks well when viewed from O'Connell Bridge, and the lights frame the Custom House nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Those pictures look fantastic - maybe it was the dusk and lighting effect but it has turned out much better than I envisaged. Hopefully, it might be the catalyst to improve the overall Eden Quay/Burgh Quay area as it was a rather grotty area. There's a few vacant period buildings at the corner of Marlborough St and more along Eden Quay that are just crying out for TLC. If they were put to good public/commercial use, it would keep the momentum going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

IMHO it looks much better in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭noelfirl

My main concern would be that they actually do the frigging upkeep on the lights this time. Last time I went down by Beckett bridge the vast majority of the underside ones were blown out. Not to mention the used to be perpetually half-on half-off James Joyce Bridge. And the underside of the Ha'penny bridge, has that been re-illuminated yet? We don't exactly have form here...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Quackster wrote: »
    There are plans for a two-way cycleway running along the north quays from the Point to Heuston so when that comes on stream, there will be left and right turns available from the north-bound cycle lane. Subject to the agreement of the newly-elected city council, construction of the cycleway could commence early next year.

Will this be segregated like the grand cycle route? Great if true

• Advertisement

grimbergen wrote: »
    Will this be segregated like the grand cycle route? Great if true
    Generally yes, but space is a bit tight in places, so there might be some sections of shared space with pedestrians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Watching this in operation on Saturday I noted a few problems with buses trying to exit the bridge, as traffic on Burgh Quay ignores the yellow box and queues solidly across it.

Looks like they are installing lights, but not in operation yet.

C635

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The traffic lights on Burgh Quay were working on Friday evening I could have sworn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

MYOB wrote: »
    The traffic lights on Burgh Quay were working on Friday evening I could have sworn.

Working on Thursday IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Ah, OK.

Weren't working around 1.30-2pm Saturday for some reason, and in particular the "straight across" buses to hawkins Street were having difficulty.

Good to see it is being used by Bus Eireann westbound services as well as the DB routes.

C635

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Conway635 wrote: »
    traffic on Burgh Quay ignores the yellow box and queues solidly across it.

Where were the Gardai?

Guess other posters were right about this persisting after the bridge opened..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Where were the Gardai?

Not enforcing the road traffic acts as always.

Lights certainly working today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I like the new bridge, it certainly has increased footfall on marlborough street. I have a few quibbles though. The bridge is not integrated into the adjoining streets. If I'm walking from Marlborough st to Hawkins st, I have to cross Eden quay on to the east side of the bridge(pedestrian facilities on the other side are only partially built). Then upon reaching the south end of the bridge, I can't cross straight away, I have to cross onto the west side of the bridge to complete a crossing.

On the up side there were plenty of decent folk enjoying the sun on the benches, not a junkie in sight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement