Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured, can't work out, options ??

Options
  • 08-07-2014 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I had a car accident last last Friday week and haven't been to the gym due to back pain. I'm not here looking for medical or diet advice (which is fine thanks) but alternatives as I dont want to lose any gains I made.

I'm thinking about a Slendertone optimum machine for muscle stimulation during my recovery. Has anyone used one of them for this purpose ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

KTRIC wrote: »
    I had a car accident last last Friday week and haven't been to the gym due to back pain. I'm not here looking for medical or diet advice (which is fine thanks) but alternatives as I dont want to lose any gains I made.

I'm thinking about a Slendertone optimum machine for muscle stimulation during my recovery. Has anyone used one of them for this purpose ??

There's going to be very little benefit, to be honest. Unless you could ramp it up to 11...and then some. And even then it's not going to do much.

How long will you be out of action for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

There's going to be very little benefit, to be honest. Unless you could ramp it up to 11...and then some. And even then it's not going to do much.

How long will you be out of action for?

The one I'm looking at is the the strongest on the market. I was told 6 - 12 weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

You might want to talk to your doctor about using one of those machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They have a minimal benefit for people who do zero training. They also only 'work' superficially.

I'd have thought physio would be lined up and you could ask about what would be safe to do in terms of simple bodyweight stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would concentrate on improving mobility during your recovery. Do some Foam Rolling & stretching for all the muscles in your legs to relieve pressure on your back. And some upper body mobilty work if you are able to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

6-12 weeks is a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things. Listen to your physios and doctors, get your back sorted first before worrying about losing the gainz. Don't run the risk of doing too much or doing the wrong thing and turning it into a chronic issue

Those slendertone things could agitate a back injury with all the twitching and spasms they cause

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'd imagine some light yoga could help with keeping flexible etc. Moving on to more strenous poses that require more strength as and when ready.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

If you continue to eat at maintenance and get your protein in I don't think it will be as bad as you think

If you use it as an excuse to let your nutrition go to shíte (whether thats an excess or defecit or brutal macros) then you will lose more muscle or gain excess fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Well I've cancelled the order for the ems machine and I'm going to take it easy. Thanks for advice lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

enjoy a take away without guilt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Talk to doctor/physio, there's bound to be things that you can, or more importantly, should be doing. Depending on the injury swimming might be something you could look at, possibly even just backstrokes. The important thing though is to focus on doing whatever aids your recovery first and foremost. Might be time to get a set of bands for mobility work or as suggested look into yoga. Might be a good time to spend more time in the kitchen improving your diet.

Advertisement