Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WrestleMania aftermath thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lesnar's cut/bruise below his eye, was that from Reign's opening punch ?
    A bit real world if it was.

Lesnar's bleeding after the ringpost, was that legit or blading ?

Looked like a blade job as blood poured down from the top of his head and not the forehead that connected to the ring post.

Have to say the blood really added to it and it was a great call by WWE to either let it happen or not clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

I lost €30 after betting a loads of **** last night with the odds changing so much but the show was so ****ing brilliant I don't even care. Before the show had someone told me Hunter was going over I would've been pissed off but the match was so off the wall and fun I couldn't care less who won. It was like going back to the 90's when the NWO came out and faced off against DX - did they bring back Vince Russo to work with Vinny for this? I loved it.

The main event had a class big match feel and I am just so glad Roman didn't win. Having Seth Rollins cash in was pure genius and thank **** he didn't pin Lesnar. Everyone came out of it looking strong, even Reigns who I really thought had won it after the Spear when Lesnar was F5'ing Reigns.

What was widely predicated as being the most predictable WM with the worst road to WM in decades, it turned out to be one of the most entertaining of all time due to how unpredictable it all became. Who on earth was doing creative for this show? I refuse to believe it was Vince and has dreadful team of writers who have given us such a terrible and predictable product for the past year.

Can't wait for Raw tonight. Hope Lesnar stays around and it doesn't go to Rollins vs Reigns straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Loughc wrote: »
    Looked like a blade job as blood poured down from the top of his head and not the forehead that connected to the ring post.

Have to say the blood really added to it and it was a great call by WWE to either let it happen or not clean it up.

It was definitely a case of blood being used in the right situation. As much of a beating as Reigns took in that match and eating the pin, he came out of it a much bigger star than he went into it. It will be interesting to see how the crowd reaction to him tonight differs to the reaction he got last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Whosthis wrote: »
    It was definitely a case of blood being used in the right situation. As much of a beating as Reigns took in that match and eating the pin, he came out of it a much bigger star than he went into it. It will be interesting to see how the crowd reaction to him tonight differs to the reaction he got last night.

I dont think the crowd tonight will matter too much in the long run when it comes to Roman, its next week we will see the reaction he will be getting over the next few months.

I dont think the crowd tonight will matter too much in the long run when it comes to Roman, its next week we will see the reaction he will be getting over the next few months.

I think tonight will tell a lot, if he's managed to turn a massive smark crowd in his favour, last night will have been one hell of a booking job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Just watched the main event again. I'm genuinely surprised that it was that good, especially in the sober light of day. It really told a great story and it was executed pretty much perfectly. Everything in the run up suggested it should have been a clusterfuck and a car crash. Possibly could've been a few minutes longer but it's better to leave people wanting more than risking dragging on. Hopefully a Lesnar/Rollins match isn't too far away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Am typing this up at various intervals of the show. Haven't read any other opinions or anything.

Welcome to Super-Kick-amania!

Quite annoyed that usually when you start up the WWE App for the Network, the front page is just three superstars and a big "Watch Network" button. Not this morning, where instead it was headlines and pictures of Mania. So yeah, nice spoilers involving Rock, Rousey and Rollins :rolleyes: Probably set me off in a bad mood for the show.

Tag match was quite good, imo, but Jesus, JBL was insufferable, just ****ing all over the match, presumably on orders from behind the scenes, constantly saying it was a car crash.

The poor commentary continued into the Battle Royal, where JBL was so busy beating us over the head that Show had never won a battle royal, it was painfully obvious he was walking away the winner. Also, the match shows they simply don't care about criticisms, since it was a repeat of the much-criticised Rumble match, with Show eliminating all the fan favorites.

Ladder match was fine but unspectacular; nothing that we've not seen before. JBL Commentry Watch: "Luke Harper has suplexed Stardust off the ladder and has now powerbombed Luke Harper off a ladder!". Anyway, the result was the right one, though I'm sure there'll be plenty of debate on it. I'm ok with Bryan holding the IC title; they don't want him near the top and just make him look bad when he's there, so why not.

Orton/Rollins was a good match with an awesome finish. The height Rollins got was great.

Sting/HHH ... I do feel the result was wrong. But otherwise I enjoyed it. nWo vs DX was a superb Mania-Moment.

Cena beating Rusev was the right result, but felt Rusev lost waaay too easily. On a night when everyone was eating multiple finishers, Rusev just seemed to take one quick AA and lay down. Still, as I said, Cena beating Rusev was the right result for the story involved, and the rest of the match was fine.

Despite it being spoiled on me, Rock/Ronda was a great moment, and as if she wasn't awesome enough, she's wearing a Dragonball Z shirt :) Felt they could have had someone eat a Rock Bottom though...

Its a shame it wasn't dark for Bray/Taker, but the Scarecrows were awesome. Super-freaky. Undertaker looked in great shape. Thought it was a good match.

As for Brock/Reigns...Reigns gets his ass kicked, Brock doesn't take the pun and Rollins, probably the most deserving of that title right now, gets it. Very happy.

I guess to sum up, it was a good show, but nothing spectacular. I don't think there's going to be many listing it in their top 5 or top 10 Manias. In all fairness to the people involved, the in-ring action was solid. It ultimately suffered from a very, very poor build and the storylines. That's not the wrestlers' fault. Its the booking team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Ending was so good. Was sure Lesnar was gonna win. DX/nWo was class and got such a pop. Reigns took a serious beating, I don't really see how he comes out positive? Looked very weak. Ambrose, Rollins and Bryan are the future. Cena/Rusev fight was far too predictable, worst match bar the divas.

Is Raw tonight still on sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭cagefactor

I think tonight will tell a lot, if he's managed to turn a massive smark crowd in his favour, last night will have been one hell of a booking job.

Tonight's crowd will be 99% marks who are going to **** all over Reigns if he is involved in anyway with Rollins.

• Advertisement

Ending was so good. Was sure Lesnar was gonna win. DX/nWo was class and got such a pop. Reigns took a serious beating, I don't really see how he comes out positive? Looked very weak. Ambrose, Rollins and Bryan are the future. Cena/Rusev fight was far too predictable, worst match bar the divas.

Is Raw tonight still on sky?

Its because he took such a beating that he looks strong, he took the beating but Brock didn't pin him, he came back, got in some great offence, bloodied Brock, got some near falls and was set up for a final spear when Rollins cashed in.

cagefactor wrote: »
    Tonight's crowd will be 99% marks who are going to **** all over Reigns if he is involved in anyway with Rollins.

I beg to differ, I think last night will have won him a huge amount of acceptance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Right, reading through the comments....

Something that hits me are people saying how "unpredictable" it was. Was it? Right, the main event was, and it was a brilliant ending. But after that, it was fairly likely Cena, Bryan, Taker, AJ/Paige and Orton were winning; all of those people needed to win for their stories of retribution and redemption to make any sense. HHH and Big Show were surprises but I don't think good ones, most look to agree.

"Unpredictable" really doesn't describe the overall show, at least not in any major way. Certainly wouldn't use it as an adjective to describe the show.

I gave it a 7, and it was the ending and nWo/DX that boosted it up a point for me. I'm not saying it was a bad show, but I don't think it was a super amazing show either, and as great as some of those moments were, I don't think there's many that will burn themselves into the memories of people long term. Saw someone say it wasn't a great show for matches but it was for moments, and would agree. But I can't think of many moments that, in 10 years, people will be saying "Hey, do you remember when...."

It was an extremely solid show. Just don't know if it was spectacular on the level Wrestlemania should be. Easily the best show WWE have produced in months, mind, but not a top level Mania imo.

I beg to differ, I think last night will have won him a huge amount of acceptance.

Based on what ? That he took a beating like a jobber or hit his 2 moves of doom 3-4 times.

Based on what ? That he took a beating like a jobber or hit his 2 moves of doom 3-4 times.

I guess only time will tell but in my opinion they made Roman Reigns last night. All the talk before hand was that he wasn't ready for a Mania main event but last night was one of the best main events ever. It doesn't need to be a technical masterpiece to be a great match, they told a fantastic story with two big men stiffing each other for fifteen minutes. Brock may have been dominant and carried the match but Reigns played his part perfectly. He had a great comeback and was beaten by Rollins cashing in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It was a decent wrestlemania for sure and I enjoyed watching it but the show also highlights some big issues in WWE right now. My big concern is that they still rely on older wrestlers from the attitude era and before to generate excitement and fill gaps.

The show between the end of the Sting/HHH match until the start of the Taker/Wyatt match just dragged on and on. Far too slow. The rock appearance was cool but not as big as previous times as we are getting used to him. I'm not that familiar with this Ronda girl so it might not have got over with me as much as others.

I loved the main event though. Perfect ending too given the circumstances. However WWE had to go to the emergency option C in order to send most of the crowd home happy.

All the matches were at least solid but I felt they could have added another match (the 4 way tag match would have been perfect ) and then cut down on other drawn out segments. Good show.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

mxph3 wrote: »
    To quote someone from Twitter:

"This Wrestlemania wasn't so much about great matches, but so many great moments! Felt like a kid today watching it"

It is a spectacle show and it completely delivered. Extreme Rules will probably be better in ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Think the strong finish is seriously clouding some judgement on the overall PPV.

Rounda coming out was pretty huge for me as an MMA fan. But then it went way too long and Ronda didn't even kick any ass really.

last night was one of the best main events ever.

I would think mid table at best if you start ranking main events. It was 90% brock beating up reigns with reigns 2 moves of doom. Not a classic matchup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Tugboats wrote: »
    It became a triple threat match. I was wondering about that but im sure some here can clear it up as Im not an expert on MITB

It's not like there is a bunch of rules written down. WWE can do whatever they want to fit the storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Some people are saying it could be the best WrestleMania ever. I really don't see that at all. There were no classic matches.

It was a fun show and I did enjoy it but I preferred last year.

The main event was good in the sense it's always fun to watch Brock beating the crap out of someone. But I don't know how people can call it a classic. The Rumble Triple Threat was better. From a booking perspective, yes; last night's was very good. Lesnar, Rollins and amazingly, and to their credit, Reigns; all came out of this better than they went in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I would think mid table at best if you start ranking main events. It was 90% brock beating up reigns with reigns 2 moves of doom. Not a classic matchup.

A match doesn't need to be an even paced contest in order to be great. Once the story being told works and is done really well that's what matters. And they both told a brilliant story which shut up a lot of Reigns critics, myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Right, reading through the comments....

Something that hits me are people saying how "unpredictable" it was. Was it? Right, the main event was, and it was a brilliant ending. But after that, it was fairly likely Cena, Bryan, Taker, AJ/Paige and Orton were winning; all of those people needed to win for their stories of retribution and redemption to make any sense. HHH and Big Show were surprises but I don't think good ones, most look to agree.

"Unpredictable" really doesn't describe the overall show, at least not in any major way. Certainly wouldn't use it as an adjective to describe the show.

I gave it a 7, and it was the ending and nWo/DX that boosted it up a point for me. I'm not saying it was a bad show, but I don't think it was a super amazing show either, and as great as some of those moments were, I don't think there's many that will burn themselves into the memories of people long term. Saw someone say it wasn't a great show for matches but it was for moments, and would agree. But I can't think of many moments that, in 10 years, people will be saying "Hey, do you remember when...."

It was an extremely solid show. Just don't know if it was spectacular on the level Wrestlemania should be. Easily the best show WWE have produced in months, mind, but not a top level Mania imo.

Couldn't agree with you more solid is the perfect word for that show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I didnt like the finish but I thought it was a classic match up until that point. It was physical and compelling viewing. I have zero interest in both guys and i was emotionally invested in the match. I can only imagine how much the fans of Lesnar or Reigns enjoyed it.

Reigns busted Lesnar open. Lesnar did excellent work by making Reigns legitimate. Did you see Brocks facial expressions?. That smile wasn't an insult. It was a look saying Im in a war here Roman wont quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I haven't seen the main event. There was really only one way they where gonna book it anyway and have Reigns be thrown around for 20 minutes and have a couple of comeback moments. Pretty much like Summerslam with Cena.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I think it was on the live thread that I read it. I was half expecting a Kevin Owens / Sami Zayn style finish which could have continued the feud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Really fun Mania but I just can't agree with the "greatest show ever" stuff. Easily an 8/10 though. The finish has a load of casuals I watched with staying up for Raw.

I think it was on the live thread that I read it. I was half expecting a Kevin Owens / Sami Zayn style finish which could have continued the feud.

With a bit more time in the match and a different ending I think both could have left to a standing ovation.

Id like to think that Reigns has got some respect and the Raw crowd will be easy enough on him. Im waiting for the Raw thread to open because I have a rant ready:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I gave it an 8, It had it's ups and downs, but was pretty good considering the poor build up.

+ RKO
    + Scott Hall looking healthier
    + Reigns not going winning

- Needs to be held at night, blazing sunshine makes things look a bit odd.
    - Rock/Rousey segment lagged on far too long
    - HHH pins Sting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I think i'd rank it around 9-12 range for WM.

Also;

wBrrZUp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

rovert wrote: »
    It is a spectacle show and it completely delivered. Extreme Rules will probably be better in ring.

I think you're right when you say it's a spectacle show. As with anything, each person has different expectations, different standards, different likes and dislikes. I watched the show last night at the Wrestlemania party in Waterford and last night it was more clear to me than ever why this product appeals to the mass market. For the most part the wrestling is an afterthought, for the big spots (the amazing RKO, the DX/NWO run ins) everybody popped, this is an inoffensive, broad product, which is why it borders on bland because it attempts to appeal to everybody. The show last night was not aimed at wrestling-hungry fans, it was aimed at a mass market.

Personally I watch wrestling because I love the action in the ring, the story behind the matches and how a story can be told between the ropes. From a promotions biggest show of the year I expect to see the matches that everybody really wants to see in a given year and I expect great matches. Essentially my standard bearer for a perfect spectacle show is Wrestle Kingdom but then what I expect from the top show of the year differs to other people.

I don't mean to sound critical, there was plenty of fun moments, a couple that were genuinely memorable but at the end of it all I was left a little empty because while you had moments, you didn't have that one truly great match, you had plenty of sizzle but I'm not sure there was really all that much steak.

• Advertisement

Watched Sting and HHH again. With all that was going on I forgot that HHH even got his buddy HBK over on sting

That aside Id have a problem if HHH and co were badly booking a young full timer trying to make it in the business but I no longer have sympathy for Sting. He knew what he was signing up for. He gets a WM cheque and royalties so if he has no problem playing the WWE won the war card and jobbing to HHH and HBK then I shouldn't be angry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

IngazZagni wrote: »
    The show between the end of the Sting/HHH match until the start of the Taker/Wyatt match just dragged on and on. Far too slow. The rock appearance was cool but not as big as previous times as we are getting used to him. I'm not that familiar with this Ronda girl so it might not have got over with me as much as others.

Same with me. I'm guessing she must be incredible judging from the response but I though the whole segment was awful and it sets up a match I've no interest at all in seeing. For me the whole show came down to the title match. If it had flopped it would have been a very poor WM but it delivered and it ended up being a pretty good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Haven't been looking forward to a RAWexclamationmark this much in years. Specifically the Reigns reaction now that a heel turn is a real possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I don't think I have heard anyone say [insert match here] was a MOTY candidate last night to be fair. There was no clear cut MOTY candidate coming out of this year's WrestleMania.

In my OP, I did say enjoy the show and it kept my attention thought out the 6 hours (including pre-show) and that is good enough for me. If I thought it was a boring show, I would switched it off and went to bed early. The moments made the show for me not the matches itself and that is why I rated it highly.

I have to admit that I don't like rating systems because my opinion will probably change soon afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Haven't seen this posted but thought it was noteworthy

Some thought The Undertakers Entrance was a bit underwhelming

On the Wrestlemania snapchat story you can see him Flame pyro not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I loved it! I'll go into it more later (still a bit fatigued from the show and The Woolshed to be honest!) but I'd have it just about in the top 10 best Wrestlemania's. No really special match but a lot of very good matches (not one bad match on the card) and a lot of great moments.

As only a very part-time casual fan in recent years, the Lesnar/Reigns match gripped me. I watched Royal Rumble in January, my first WWE viewing since WM30, and was a bit disgusted with the outcome of the Rumble, looking at Reigns thinking "Who is this guy and what am I missing about him?"

Pro Wrestling can all-to-easily be brushed off with the "Sure it's fake, what's the point?" statement by non-fans, but these athletes risk their health and well-being every time they step into the ring. It might be improvised sports entertainment, but shít still hurts at best minimally. That's when Brock Lesnar is not involved in the match. When he is, that factor increases significantly and there is no doubt in my mind that there were genuine hits going in hard between he and Reigns last night.

To say that Reign's 'just' took a beating for 12 minutes and then performed his power moves a few times is doing him a disservice though. Even in this world of live choreographed bouts with pre-determined outcomes, you still need a humungous set of balls to get into a ring with Lesnar and say "Just give me your worst" and then not only take it without flinching, but still have the stamina and ability to mount and sell a comeback after that beating. In those rare moments he dominated Lesnar near the end, I believed it and thought he had a shot at the win.

Apart from an array of suplexes (Suplex City Bitch!), there was fúck-all to this match technically, but I still loved the story told and how it was executed, and would rank it as a great match because of it. All-time great WM match? I think that might be pushing it at this moment, but 100 times better than I thought it would be going in. I thought Reigns was a nobody going nowhere, last night proved me wrong.

A few things outside of the main-event: Great to see WWE trying to give some credibility back to the Europa Leag...sorry Intercontinental title. I love that it is the old Intercontinental belt, has it been back that way for long? The Bryan segment with the old-timers was a little cringey but not so much as to ruin it for me. There's never not a good time for a Ron Simmons "DAMN" :pac:

HHH looked ridiculous in his entrance. I get that he's at the point now where he can do whatever he wants, and does it, but there should be limits. Plus why does he need to be Terminator? He's 'The Game' and spent 15+ years building that persona up. HHH, The Game is an iconic character itself, no need for props from the Ballyhaunis National School end-of-year play. Maybe it was because $$$, as it seems WWE were paid to promote the Terminator brand throughout the night. The outcome of the HHH-Sting match doesn't bother me too much. I'm just glad that Sting finally wrestled a WWE match, even if it was a good decade too late and was exciting more for the nostalgia element than anything else.

As for Rock, Rhonda, HHH, Stephanie, of course this went on way too long but that was the whole point of it. WWE were doing balancing acts all over the show last night, not least of all with the daylight/darkness thing. I think they did as well as they could do with this considering they had to appease both East and West Coast audiences. As for the segment itself, after all of that there should have been at the least a Rock Bottom on HHH, or even HHH getting one-up on The Rock. Are they setting the scene for a match next year? I actually think those two could put one last great match on. Rock would have to train hard for it though, he was out of breath after the walk to the ring last night.

I enjoyed the Taker-Wyatt and Cena-Rusev matches, don't have too much to say outside of that. Oh, did anyone else think when Lana threw her shoe in the ring "If that gets used as a weapon to win the match then I'm switching off!" A bit of a bizarre moment, hard to know what to take from the shoe-throwing :pac:

I tuned in too late to catch the IC Ladder match and the Rollins-Orton match but will catch them tonight. I did see a gif of that RKO, it was so sweet and Orton was clearly delighted with it too.

Overall I'm glad that I stayed up to watch WM, it was a good show and I will try to tune onto Raw tonight to catch the aftermath.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Still utterly confused why they had Big Show win the Battle Royal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

that had to be a retirement present

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

He is booked everywhere including Dublin as Reign's house show opponent. Also you have that career link between Big Show and Andre - being introduced as the son of Andre in WCW and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

rovert wrote: »
    He is booked everywhere including Dublin as Reign's house show opponent. Also you have that career link between Big Show and Andre - being introduced as the son of Andre in WCW and so on.

It's amazing how sentimental WWE can get when they want to.

Shame it's never anything to do with what the fan wants.

Really fun Mania but I just can't agree with the "greatest show ever" stuff. Easily an 8/10 though. The finish has a load of casuals I watched with staying up for Raw.

The same people who were no doubt pissing blood over the terrible build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I said I wouldn't watch the show, and I didn't, even though I was very intrigued by what they would do in the main event. I'm actually quite annoyed that I missed it live, but I've seen it all now.

Firstly, if you didn't enjoy that as a show, you need to give up watching pro wrestling. As a whole, that was almost as it good as it gets from a spectacle point of view.

But I'm still annoyed, and I'll tell you why.

In a vacuum, this was absolutely brilliant by WWE. But why the fúck did they put little or no effort into the build? Why was Reigns booked like a goof for so long? why did they try and turn him into Cena Mk 2? it's clear, once again, that Vince isn't actually an idiot, so imagine the amazing match you saw last night, only with some steam behind it coming in...

Anyway, this show was pretty much everything Wrestlemania should be.

The ladder match was fine. Bryan winning was the right decision, as long as the IC title does not remain a joke.

Orton winning was the right call to end a Wrestlemania feud (happy ending). But there's a part of me that is slightly irked by Rollins losing the night he later cashes in. but meh. that's being nitpicky. An excellent match though.

Sting/HHH was the spotfest it probably needed to be, and had brilliant nostalgia value. I'm shocked so many people are shocked. I predicted Sting in hope, but Vince has an ego the size of the Grand Canyon. he was seemingly completely unwilling to let WCW beat WWE. People will blame Hunter, but I can guarantee that was a Vince call.

Divas. who cares? they looked good. especially Nikki, good Christ. bored of AJ. they've sucked the life out of her.

Bray/Taker was as good as you could hope for, and the spider walk into a Taker sit-up was an obvious but well done spot. Taker looked great. One more in him for Texas next year I reckon. Delighted.

Ronda/Rock etc was entertaining. Ronda is money. it took too long, but who cares? fun times were had.

Rusev/Cena was about as well booked as you could hope for. Rusev was never winning with all the 'MURICA stuff, but Rusev lost in a way that should not hurt him too much. Cena, despite what many think of him, always pulls it out.

Reigns/Lesnar was top class for a very simple reason. Brock wrestles the kind of match that nobody else does, and Reigns was willing to take an ass-kicking and go with it. He looked more a star than he ever could by winning. Lesnar is pure box-office. You just cannot take your eyes off the man when he's performing. Incredible.

The cash-in was tremendous. What a moment for the lad, and another memory to take away from Wrestlemania.

A thumbs up, but I'm still worried at the neglect WWE show towards their building up of feuds.

SlickRic wrote: »
    I But why the fúck did they put little or no effort into the build?

Vince was asked about the Road to Wrestlemania in todays conference call. To paraphrase his words he said sometimes they go all in and sometimes its a different approach but it always results in them getting it right on the night of Wrestlemania

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

Build up to Mania was rubbish compared to recent years, but the show itself was fantastic I thought.

All the big matches delivered with in ring action or cool nostalgia spots, the divas were passable, and they look to have set up Rock vs HHH as the special attraction next year which I'd very much look forward to seeing.

Thought the main event was booked brilliantly. Brock comes out unharmed, Reigns has a bit more credibility and Rollins will be a great working heel champion.

Looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

As someone who has become a very casual wrestling fan over the last few years (this year's royal rumble was the 1st ppv I have watched in about 4 years) I have to say I really enjoyed wrestlemania. After watching that excuse for a royal rumble I thought to myself I haven't been missing much in the years I stopped watching wwe but last night I actually enjoyed wrestling for the 1st time in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

stankratz wrote: »
    As only a very part-time casual fan in recent years, the Lesnar/Reigns match gripped me. I watched Royal Rumble in January, my first WWE viewing since WM30, and was a bit disgusted with the outcome of the Rumble, looking at Reigns thinking "Who is this guy and what am I missing about him?"

Pro Wrestling can all-to-easily be brushed off with the "Sure it's fake, what's the point?" statement by non-fans, but these athletes risk their health and well-being every time they step into the ring. It might be improvised sports entertainment, but shít still hurts at best minimally. That's when Brock Lesnar is not involved in the match. When he is, that factor increases significantly and there is no doubt in my mind that there were genuine hits going in hard between he and Reigns last night.

To say that Reign's 'just' took a beating for 12 minutes and then performed his power moves a few times is doing him a disservice though. Even in this world of live choreographed bouts with pre-determined outcomes, you still need a humungous set of balls to get into a ring with Lesnar and say "Just give me your worst" and then not only take it without flinching, but still have the stamina and ability to mount and sell a comeback after that beating. In those rare moments he dominated Lesnar near the end, I believed it and thought he had a shot at the win.

Apart from an array of suplexes (Suplex City Bitch!), there was fúck-all to this match technically, but I still loved the story told and how it was executed, and would rank it as a great match because of it. All-time great WM match? I think that might be pushing it at this moment, but 100 times better than I thought it would be going in. I thought Reigns was a nobody going nowhere, last night proved me wrong.

A few things outside of the main-event: Great to see WWE trying to give some credibility back to the Europa Leag...sorry Intercontinental title. I love that it is the old Intercontinental belt, has it been back that way for long? The Bryan segment with the old-timers was a little cringey but not so much as to ruin it for me. There's never not a good time for a Ron Simmons "DAMN" :pac:

HHH looked ridiculous in his entrance. I get that he's at the point now where he can do whatever he wants, and does it, but there should be limits. Plus why does he need to be Terminator? He's 'The Game' and spent 15+ years building that persona up. HHH, The Game is an iconic character itself, no need for props from the Ballyhaunis National School end-of-year play. Maybe it was because $$$, as it seems WWE were paid to promote the Terminator brand throughout the night. The outcome of the HHH-Sting match doesn't bother me too much. I'm just glad that Sting finally wrestled a WWE match, even if it was a good decade too late and was exciting more for the nostalgia element than anything else.

As for Rock, Rhonda, HHH, Stephanie, of course this went on way too long but that was the whole point of it. WWE were doing balancing acts all over the show last night, not least of all with the daylight/darkness thing. I think they did as well as they could do with this considering they had to appease both East and West Coast audiences. As for the segment itself, after all of that there should have been at the least a Rock Bottom on HHH, or even HHH getting one-up on The Rock. Are they setting the scene for a match next year? I actually think those two could put one last great match on. Rock would have to train hard for it though, he was out of breath after the walk to the ring last night.

I enjoyed the Taker-Wyatt and Cena-Rusev matches, don't have too much to say outside of that. Oh, did anyone else think when Lana threw her shoe in the ring "If that gets used as a weapon to win the match then I'm switching off!" A bit of a bizarre moment, hard to know what to take from the shoe-throwing :pac:

I tuned in too late to catch the IC Ladder match and the Rollins-Orton match but will catch them tonight. I did see a gif of that RKO, it was so sweet and Orton was clearly delighted with it too.

Overall I'm glad that I stayed up to watch WM, it was a good show and I will try to tune onto Raw tonight to catch the aftermath.

Cody brought the classic IC belt back in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

People saying that WWE are relying on old timers, not that I disagree with you per se, but Cena, Orton, Shield members, Lesnar and Bryan are all big stars, if they can retain them and not pull another CM Punk, then it'll be a pretty decent foundation to build on imo. Just need to improve the scripts of the less capable of improvving wrestlers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement