Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Think thats the one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-Engine-DUO-R-RGB-TG16-model-New-Lens-/190625024080?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c62230850

My god it glorious! Costing arond 220 euro to get it over here though so I'll have have have a think about it and wait for people to reply and talk me into getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

and wait for people to reply and talk me into getting it

Pyongyang! You're required in aisle 5!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-Engine-DUO-R-RGB-TG16-model-New-Lens-/190625024080?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c62230850

My god it glorious! Costing arond 220 euro to get it over here though so I'll have have have a think about it and wait for people to reply and talk me into getting it

So worth it especially considering you'll spend as much on a single game for it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I bought my Turbo Duo-R from him and it still runs just lovely. In fact I was playing Dai Sen Pu: Custom and Avenger on it last night, followed by a quick test of my Arcade card with some Arcade Duo games.

Well worth the investment, although I'd some day like to expand my collection to a PC-FX, though can't really justify the cost of buying one just so I can play the one, solitary shooting game available for it (a game which also costs £125 to £300 depending on condition).

A shame the PC-FX isn't backwards compatible else it would be a very worthwhile investment.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, well I'll get one, just wait a few days and see if I get enough money from my T shirt run to get myself some treats!

But if i already have a load of the cd games, I can play all my backups sure right? Be hassle taking all of them out of storage!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So worth it especially considering you'll spend as much on a single game for it :P

cd-burner-burning-icon.png

By the way, if you do buy a PC Engine (of any flavour), you'll be wanting an XE-1 Pro HE stick to go with it. Possibly the greatest console joystick ever assembled for human hands in the history of the entire universe of everything and anything.

I managed to source one from a random guy in some far flung village in Japan. Complete, brand new in it's box, sealed, RC-OCD and so on.

That stick was manufactured my Micomsoft but designed by God. :o

XE1PRO.png

it looks very Japanese

I love it!

But if i already have a load of the cd games, I can play all my backups sure right? Be hassle taking all of them out of storage!

Yes. PC Engine Super CD, Super CD2 and Arcade CD titles have no copy protection. When the console was released, CD burners were about 3 jillion quid so software piracy for the PC Engine was at a rather low ebb. :pac:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oh yeah, I forgot you have every PC Engine game ever made.

No you can keep them all in storage alright. Your backups will run grand.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I forgot you have every PC Engine game ever made.

Just be hassle trying to navigate through the hundreds of arcade cabs

it looks very Japanese

I love it!

I can safely say, without hesitation, that is the best console joystick made in the entire history of everything. I love it even more than my PlayStation Namco arcade stick. :eek:

Ah yeah, well I'll get one, just wait a few days and see if I get enough money from my T shirt run to get myself some treats!

Good man! Welcome (potentially) to the PC Engine club!

Such an awesome console. If you love shooting games or text-heavy incomprehensible RPG's you've made the right choice!

That Micomsoft stick is super rare, took me literally forever to find one. Folks rarely sell them as they are so good, hence the scarcity (or that's how I see it anyway). Expect to pay approx €80-€100+ for one, although prices may have increased since I got mine.

If you can't find one, or while you wait to find one, grab yourself a TurboGrafx Turbo Stick. I got one of those BNIB, sealed etc too and it cost a LOT less than the God stick. That said, TG16 and PCE ports are NOT the same. You'll need a port converter cable. Should run you around €15-€20 for the cable BNIB (I paid about £13 for mine I think) as they are a tad on the rare side but you do see them on eBay now and again.

Ah well I'll wait till I get the console itself but thanks for all the tips.

Ah well I'll wait till I get the console itself but thanks for all the tips.

No worries. Just food for thought so you can plan your future with your new pride and joy. :)

If you don't want to get a stick immediately, grab a 6 button Avenue pad. That should tide you over until then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pyongyang wrote: »
    No worries. Just food for thought so you can plan your future with your new pride and joy. :)

If you don't want to get a stick immediately, grab a 6 button Avenue pad. That should tide you over until then.

That idchappy fellow mentioned recently is selling two of those + a multi-tap for £50 over on AO: link. Not sure if that's a good or bad price though. He's also selling a boxed PCE Duo-R but it's too expensive at £170 non-modded imo. That thread has been there a while so you could probably bargain him down on price if need be.

Here's a pic and info incase you're not registered:
    £170 posted for the Duo, 1 2 button pad and 1 hucard(your choice)
    £50 posted for the 2 x 6 button pads and the multi tap
    £180 posted for the 130 + games

DSCF1241.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

The Duo-RX I got from doujindance wasn't calibrated to run backups so, Jack should be prepared to open that sucker up for some pot calibration related tomfoolery. It even had problems running some retail games until I was forced to do so.

Really? Well I'll have to check that out with him, thanks Relikk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

the adverts.ie curse (or whatever it is) strikes again, Gazumped and then told to feck off, reported the ad but I doubt anything will come of that.

Using that site as a buyer is a bit like playing the lottery, you know there is a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting much useful off it but you can't stop plying in case your numbers come up the one week you don't:D.

What exact happened, do you have a link to the advert?

In fairness to adverts, It allowed me to buy some bulky discontinued audio equipment, which you just can't buy locally in a shop.

If adverts didn't exist I'd have been forced to import it otherwise, putting my faith in the seller, and pay a large sum on shipping charges and also run the risk of it getting damanged in transit.

Where as with adverts I can meet up with the seller and try before I buy.

I guess it depends on what you buy really.

• Advertisement

Relikk wrote: »
    The Duo-RX I got from doujindance wasn't calibrated to run backups so, Jack should be prepared to open that sucker up for some pot calibration related tomfoolery. It even had problems running some retail games until I was forced to do so.

Ah yes, did you get it all sorted in the end? Must have been a one off surely? In personal experience mine runs like a champ. Although that said I don't own any backups of any games (aside from my G-Net PCB) so I wouldn't know if my console is calibrated or not.

Worth checking though if that's what you plan on using I guess. Hope you got yours working OK Relikk. Mine's played both TG16 and PCE Hu's and CD's with no bother FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

It's running perfectly now so, thankfully it wasn't the laser as was speculated initially and the HuCard problem was the actual game and not the console.

The pot under the laser lens for the originals was easy, it needed a slight boost but for backups, there's four (on an RX, five on an R) small silver pots located around the bottom right hand side of the board that need to be set at a certain voltage and they were off. It's just a bit fiddly and time consuming. Apart from that it's fantastic. The condition and the RGB mod more than make up for those little niggles. It's a fabulous little machine.

I wouldn't let this put you off buying one from doujindance, though. Well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

waveform wrote: »
    What exact happened...

I guess it depends on what you buy really.

Initially I cried foul and reported the ad, he then quoted the adverts disclaimer at me as site rules and was rather "cavalier" in his attitude to my complaint, ie "get fecked".

After that I pointed him in the direction of the actual house rules and subsequently he got very apologetic, wether that was because of contact from Mods or my "devastating" argument I don't know. Either way I accepted his apology, sure what else could he do.

I've only ever bought games off adverts, I realize thats rather niche but over the last 12 months or so my experience is that it is very hard to make a deal or do business with anyone there, either sellers treat it as an auction site or ads are placed and then neglected. Equally there are tonnes of buyers who make offers which they then don't honour. Perhaps its just the games section but most of the buyers and sellers are kids or chancers.

Its very frustrating when people treat it like the wild west, ultimately that is no good for anyone.

Master of the Universe

I knew Daze Before Christmas was rare on the Snes too, but this is pretty crazy with so long to go on the auction. Must see what it ends at next week -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNES-Daze-Before-Christmas-Complete-VERY-RARE-/150732945762?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2318623962

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I knew Daze Before Christmas was rare on the Snes too, but this is pretty crazy with so long to go on the auction. Must see what it ends at next week -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNES-Daze-Before-Christmas-Complete-VERY-RARE-/150732945762?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2318623962

Why has he got the game on the toilet:eek:
    Ya wouldn't want to be smelling your investment there :D

Master of the Universe

HAHAH! I didn't even notice :eek:

Why has he got the game on the toilet
    Ya wouldn't want to be smelling your investment there

"Postage will be £5.50 by Royal Mail Special Delivery, I offer postage discounts for multiple purchases

If you have any questions please feel free to ask :)"

Ask Seller A Question

RE: Which Version?

Hi there,

Just wondering if this game comes with the later 1.0E Coli board revision that had a much shorter life span than the original.

Thanks for your time,

Oisín

Something weird happened to me earlier,

Was watching an ebay auction for a Vectrex being sold by a Germany seller all day...

so went back to it at about 22:38 and there hadn't being anymore bids and was still at €53....hurrah!

So I Google translated the page again to read the description,
    and noticed then it said The listing had finished at 22:39, because the item was no longer available.

I said to myself "FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU, I thought it was over tomorrow....
    ...but I'm pretty sure it actually it is, google translator must have screwed up the page."

Went back to the original page, and indeed the the auction had been abandoned the moment I translated the page!

I think I broked it. :(

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Original-aus-1982-Milton-Bradley-MB-Quart-VECTREX-Konsole-mit-Controller-Gamepad-/260931205472?pt=DE_Konsolen&hash=item3cc0b63960

Meanwhile, check out this Android catridge PCB for the Vectrex that has a starting bid of about €600...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vectrex-GCE-MB-Android-1982-movie-cartridge-/190627332190?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2c6246405e

How many of the brothers own a Vectrex on here by the way?

I think this morning was only my first time watching videos of it properly,

and I wanted the bastard so bad instantly, especially for HyperChase and it's port of Intercontinetal Circus.

What a machine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Your in Vectrex Heaven on this forum.. half the lads on here have them! its on my list...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

After seeing Cidona's one in operation, I simply had to own one. Bought one from Holland on ebay not long after. They're a sight to behold in a low lit room, can only imagine how good vector monitor arcade machines looked. Don't think I've ever actually seen one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement