Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mickalus wrote: »
    -- That was on Sky Sports transfer feed. You'd hardly think Mignolet would be coming to play second fiddle to Reina based on that.

I don't see why not, for the sake of a year. It's a massive step up for a player like Mignolet.

He'd be a fool to turn it down - it's not like we're getting him as backup. He'll be our number 1 (assuming he performs). It just might not be next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Luis has been flapping his lips again about his desire to move, no surprise there. The Mirror are linking us with Alvaro Morotta as a part exchange. Probably crap since it's The Mirror, but is he any good?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-luis-suarezs-1956957

Luis has been flapping his lips again about his desire to move, no surprise there. The Mirror are linking us with Alvaro Morotta as a part exchange. Probably crap since it's The Mirror, but is he any good?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-luis-suarezs-1956957

Massively rated. Has scored 4 goals in 4 games in the u21 euros.

Does anyone know if the u20 world cup is on TV? Want to have a gander at Spain and England's games and see how the lads get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I've no doubt he contributed a certain amount, I'm just saying that to me 7 goals, 4 assists and defending some corners doesn't warrant a pay increase to 100k a week. If West Ham fans think they're getting a good deal, they're welcome to their opinion. I personally think it's madness.

No player in the league deserves the wages they get, how far does this debate go?.

Carroll will get what his value is to West Ham or West Ham will not pay it, basically playing a major part in keeping them above a danger area that can cost a club 30-50m if they fall into it. People need to be able to differentiate between what they personally feel about the player and what his value is to what Allardyce is trying to achieve for his employer, its that simple.

El Spearo wrote: »
    In hindsight, does anyone think the bite on Ivanovic was to get himself banned for the opening of next season in order to push through a move? It's a horrid thought, but one I wouldn't put past him.

I said at the time there was something off about that whole incident. I can't remember exactly what it was but hadn't Suarez just equalised or put Liverpool ahead in the few minutes beforehand? Otherwise it was the definition of a "moment of madness".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't see why not, for the sake of a year. It's a massive step up for a player like Mignolet.

He'd be a fool to turn it down - it's not like we're getting him as backup. He'll be our number 1 (assuming he performs). It just might not be next season.

Wtf is this crap?

How the holy hell would moving to a team with an established goalkeeper, who is very, very good, increase his chances of getting to play as #1 for his country in the WC?

Are you for real here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Wtf is this crap?

How the holy hell would moving to a team with an established goalkeeper, who is very, very good, increase his chances of getting to play as #1 for his country in the WC?

Are you for real here?

Any need for the insults. Can't you just make a post that disagrees with the post without the faux rage?.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

jenno86 wrote: »
    1371426616618.gif

That was alright... Pirlo's was better :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

5starpool wrote: »
    On the money side, and this is without other potentials like Skrtel, Reina, Coates, etc, if Suarez goes and we get those we are heavily linked with, business looks like this roughly:

Out: Suarez £40m (if he goes I think it'll be for around this amount)
    Skrtel £10m
    Reina £12m
    Coates £4m
    Total: £66m

In: Aspas £8m
    Alberto £6m
    Mkhitaryan £20m
    Toure Free
    Ilori £4m
    Mingolet £10m
    Centre Back £20m
    Total £68m

I've included some other possible outgoings as well if we get the incoming players, and without any other business we are pretty much breakeven. There may be a capacity to spend another £15m on someone I reckon, especially if the likes of Downing goes for 6-8m as well. Chances are as well that if the above happens, along with Carra out, the wages will be a decent chunk lower as well. One way or another though, I can't see all the rumoured inclings happening without Suarez leaving. If we take his fee out, and even include Downing out as well, that would still be a £30m+ outlay which I can't see being sanctioned, even with all the extra revenue.

Edit: After all that, I forgot about Carroll as money in probably. With that it makes the other signings possible without losing Suarez I guess, but I would rate him very unlikely to remain, with only no one will to pony up the cash as the only reason he will still be there at which time he will backtrack somewhat I'd say.

I posted something similar last week. Taking Suarez out of that equation (and ignoring the keepers, which is basically a swap in terms of value), we can do all the business we need gfor £25M, which was the original kitty that was suggested. I included Downing in the outgoings, I figure he'd be lucky to be on the bench this year, unless he's covering for LB! And if one of the reasons Reina is leavnig is cause of his wages, well there is another reason to let him go.

If all comes to all, the only existing players on really big money will be Stevie, to a lesser extend Glenjo. I don't think Dagger, Lucas or the new guys would be on nearly that wedge, maybe with all incentive added in. MkH will probably be in that bracket as well.

That'd be an impressive summer for £25M - or 5/7ths of a Carroll...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NukaCola wrote: »
    Any need for the insults. Can't you just make a post that disagrees with the post without the faux rage?.......

Des has a default setting of faux rage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Anyone else find it surprising how good Suarez has turned out to be at free kicks? It seems during general play he scuffs and miskicks more than his share of finishes, yet when it comes to the dead ball his striking is often pure as the driven snow. Different skills I suppose.

Milkers wrote: »
    Anyone else find it surprising how good Suarez has turned out to be at free kicks? It seems during general play he scuffs and miskicks more than his share of finishes, yet when it comes to the dead ball his striking is often pure as the driven snow. Different skills I suppose.

Practice makes perfect I guess! And man did we need that, haven't had a great free taker since forever. Riise would belt it, Aurelio scored the odd good one, but it's always fallen on Stevie, and he prefers 30+ yards to 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

What do people think of the rumoured price for Mkhitaryan? Think its supposed to be £20-£22m (if we get him of course).
    I know very little about him in fairness but it seems a hight price for a player playing in the Ukranian league. I know Shaktar are a good team and impressed in the CL but the depth of that league is not great.
    I know Juve and Dortmund are apparently interested too but not willing to pay that much.

If our rumoured interest in Eriksen is true he would appear to be available for around the £15m mark and has also impressed.

Is there anyone who would know both players well and be willing to give an opinion on them and their respective values?

Edit: just saw this but I reckon its BS anyway http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/06/16/liverpool-look-set-to-complete-surprise-deal-to-sign-15m-ajax-playmaker-christian-eriksen/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Des has a default setting of faux rage!!

where is he these days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As far as I can see the main attraction of Mkhitaryan over Eriksen (assuming both are plausible targets) is that the former can play three positions - CM (for Armenia)/AM/LW whereas the later is an AM.

Eriksen would be more of a problem for Coutinho who clearly thrives as a classical No 10, while he can swap with the Armenian. Rogers seems to be going for a fluid, flexible attacking side where players can swap and/or fill-in positions without it being unduly disruptive.

mike65 wrote: »
    As far as I can see the main attraction of Mkhitaryan over Eriksen (assuming both are plausible targets) is that the former can play three positions - CM (for Ukraine)/AM/LW whereas the later is an AM.

Eriksen would be more of a problem for Coutinho who clearly thrives as a classical No 10, while he can swap with the Armenian. Rogers seems to be going for a fluid, flexible attacking side where players can swap and/or fill-in positions without it being unduly disruptive.

Reports of other clubs interested in Micky now too (PSG, Monaco etc). If our rumoured interest is true (and I believe it is) then I would wager this is put out by his agents to get the best deal out of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No doubt, if only one club is really interested then that club has more strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

On the Andy Carrol to west ham thing, he had some great games for them and despite having an injury hit season he did impress there. The thing with Andy is if a team fighting for survival are set up to play to his strengths like Newcastle were and West ham this year he can be very effective. Unfortunately, a team with aspirations of top 4 can't afford to put all their eggs in one 6ft 4" basket and need to play some better football than that.

sweetie wrote: »
    On the Andy Carrol to west ham thing, he had some great games for them and despite having an injury hit season he did impress there. The thing with Andy is if a team fighting for survival are set up to play to his strengths like Newcastle were and West ham this year he can be very effective. Unfortunately, a team with aspirations of top 4 can't afford to put all their eggs in one 6ft 4" basket wheelbarrow and need to play some better football than that.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

gafferino wrote: »
    What do people think of the rumoured price for Mkhitaryan? Think its supposed to be £20-£22m (if we get him of course).
    I know very little about him in fairness but it seems a hight price for a player playing in the Ukranian league. I know Shaktar are a good team and impressed in the CL but the depth of that league is not great.
    I know Juve and Dortmund are apparently interested too but not willing to pay that much.

If our rumoured interest in Eriksen is true he would appear to be available for around the £15m mark and has also impressed.

Is there anyone who would know both players well and be willing to give an opinion on them and their respective values?

Edit: just saw this but I reckon its BS anyway http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/06/16/liverpool-look-set-to-complete-surprise-deal-to-sign-15m-ajax-playmaker-christian-eriksen/

I havn't seen enough of either to make a proper comparison, I'll leave that to the wise old sages,
    but on the price difference.

If The Mkhitaryan will prove to be a better fit, score and create more than Erikson then shell out the extra £5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Morata has been very Good. I've been Impressed any time I've seen him. Didn't look out of place Playing with the Galacticos in La Liga.

Though he is Central Striker, he can also Play as LW as he's done Last Season for Real Madrid.

30M + Morata or Morata + Benzema and they can have Luis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

daithijjj wrote: »
    No player in the league deserves the wages they get, how far does this debate go?.

Carroll will get what his value is to West Ham or West Ham will not pay it, basically playing a major part in keeping them above a danger area that can cost a club 30-50m if they fall into it. People need to be able to differentiate between what they personally feel about the player and what his value is to what Allardyce is trying to achieve for his employer, its that simple.

I was not arguing about whether football players actually deserve 100k a week or not.

Last season Carroll got 7 goals and 4 assists, in all his time at Liverpool he scored 11 goals in 58 appearances. If you take his career total including his games in the championship his record is around 1 in 3.5 games. He is 24 now, so it's not as if were talking about some 17 year old who is still developing. He has been playing in the premier league for several seasons and has never shown an ability to be anything other than a mediocre striker.

I was making the point that for £15 million pound and 100k a week over a 5 or 6 year contract, could West Ham quite easily get someone who has a much better goal scoring record and who would almost certainly get them more goals and assists then Andy Carroll. Why you seem to take issue with this I don't know, I would have thought it a perfectly reasonable point. Put it this way if Liverpool were about to sign a player with Carrolls goals/assists record for the transfer fee/wages/contract length, would you be on here heralding it as good signing. I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    As far as I can see the main attraction of Mkhitaryan over Eriksen (assuming both are plausible targets) is that the former can play three positions - CM (for Armenia)/AM/LW whereas the later is an AM.

Eriksen can play in AM, CM, and can play in same wide position as Coutinho as well as doing the same on the right side. For Denmark and Ajax he tends to roam a lot and interchanges with the players in the wide attacking roles.

Mkhitaryan is similar in terms of being able to interchange, as is Coutinho.

Eriksen or Mkhitaryan would make sense as potential targets as they are quite similar in terms of their best position (AM) but are justas similar in terms of the ease with which they can interchange with other attacking players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

klose wrote: »
    where is he these days?

Wrestling with his baldy conscience.

Morata has been very Good. I've been Impressed any time I've seen him. Didn't look out of place Playing with the Galacticos in La Liga.

Though he is Central Striker, he can also Play as LW as he's done Last Season for Real Madrid.

30M + Morata or Morata + Benzema and they can have Luis.

What value are you putting on Morata? Assuming you mean the 30m in pounds, I would still think it too low a figure if the makeweight in the deal is Morata.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

How many transfers have there been in recent times that have been 'part exchange'?

I've no idea why, but they very rarely happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Gbear wrote: »
    Massively rated. Has scored 4 goals in 4 games in the u21 euros.

Does anyone know if the u20 world cup is on TV? Want to have a gander at Spain and England's games and see how the lads get on.

Eurosport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Sporting reportedly turned down a 3.5m offer from Liverpool for Diego Capel... Probably old news by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Kess73 wrote: »
    What value are you putting on Morata? Assuming you mean the 30m in pounds, I would still think it too low a figure if the makeweight in the deal is Morata.

Yup in Pounds.

Realistically speaking posting, I think Morata's Value should be in 8-10M. But since the Figure bandied about for Luis Alberto is 7-8M, then Morata would be in 10-13M Figure.

No way Real Madrid would Part with Morata for a Lower Fee, since he is much Higher Rated than Alberto.

So Morata (10-13M) + 30M, would give you the 40M for Luis.

As much as I would like us to get 50M, I believe it's unrealistic given his Reputation. Not to mention, his eagerness to tell the Media that he wants to Leave.

• Advertisement

LiamoSail wrote: »
    How many transfers have there been in recent times that have been 'part exchange'?

I've no idea why, but they very rarely happen

Owen to Real saw us receive money plus a player.

Konchesky to us saw us pay money plus give two players.

That's the two most recent examples involving us that come to mind. Can think of other examples involving other clubs. Eto + Cash for Ibra is one humdinger of an example.

Would obviously not be as common a deal as a cash for player deal, but there would be a number of cash plus player type deals must summers across the European leagues. Most won't catch the eye due to no big names being involved or due to it happening in other leagues.

Yup in Pounds.

Realistically speaking posting, I think Morata's Value should be in 8-10M. But since the Figure bandied about for Luis Alberto is 7-8M, then Morata would be in 10-13M Figure.

No way Real Madrid would Part with Morata for a Lower Fee, since he is much Higher Rated than Alberto.

So Morata (10-13M) + 30M, would give you the 40M for Luis.

As much as I would like us to get 50M, I believe it's unrealistic given his Reputation. Not to mention, his eagerness to tell the Media that he wants to Leave.

Would not be happy with £30m + Morata for Suarez. Morata would only be a sweetener in my eyes and not 25% of the transfer.

Suarez has four years left on his current contract. If Real want him, then Suarez should have to hand in an official transfer request and Real should have to come up with a fee that matches the worth of Suarez to Liverpool. A worth that would be valued by how long he has left on his contract and his level of performances.

No point in not playing hardball with both Suarez and Real (or any other interested party) on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

klose wrote: »
    Didnt some guy pit 25k e/w on us to finish top 4 last season?
    Sssssshhhhhh.

Dont remind Nuri about that, hes just about recovered his money with all the corners last year:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

That's the two most recent examples involving us that come to mind. Can think of other examples involving other clubs. Eto + Cash for Ibra is one humdinger of an example.

Would obviously not be as common a deal as a cash for player deal, but there would be a number of cash plus player type deals must summers across the European leagues. Most won't catch the eye due to no big names being involved or due to it happening in other leagues.

I'd hazard a guess that the majority of player + cash deals involve only 1 big player with whomever going the other way youth/fringe players.
    Swapping 1st team players would be rare enough, Ibra & E'to being one that bucks the trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

5live wrote: »
    Sssssshhhhhh.

Dont remind Nuri about that, hes just about recovered his money with all the corners last year:P

Ah he has moved on from that now. He is too busy making money on Basketball & Golf atm :). He prolly celebrating the fact that Rose won the US Open :)

Eriksen can play in AM, CM, and can play in same wide position as Coutinho as well as doing the same on the right side. For Denmark and Ajax he tends to roam a lot and interchanges with the players in the wide attacking roles.

Mkhitaryan is similar in terms of being able to interchange, as is Coutinho.

Eriksen or Mkhitaryan would make sense as potential targets as they are quite similar in terms of their best position (AM) but are justas similar in terms of the ease with which they can interchange with other attacking players.

Yeah that was my understanding of them too position wise.

Would you venture an opinion on who is a better player and who is better value based on rumoured fees? Micky seems to be about £5m more based on rumoured fees etc.

Liverpool and Arsenal are mourning the passing of former star Geoff Strong, who has died at the age of 75.

The versatile Strong made 201 appearances for Liverpool in the late 1960s and early 1970s having made his name as a forward with the Gunners.

Strong was born in Kirkheaton, Northumberland in 1937 and grew up to play for local side Stanley United before being spotted by Arsenal and signing professional terms in April 1958.

He went on to become a big hit with the Londoners - forming a lethal strike partnership with Joe Baker - and averaged over a goal every other game when Liverpool paid £40,000 for his services in 1964.

The move to the Reds yielded the success Strong had always targeted - and, under Bill Shankly, helped the Anfield giants secure the FA Cup in his first season and the First Division title the following year.

Strong left Liverpool in 1970 to play one season with Coventry ahead of announcing his retirement in 1972, and then made countless returns to Anfield as a spectator despite suffering from Alzheimers disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Eriksen i feel is very overated imo
    whenever ive seen for Denmark or in the CL he hasn't impressed me at all
    Coutinho is a much better player imo

gafferino wrote: »
    Yeah that was my understanding of them too position wise.

Would you venture an opinion on who is a better player and who is better value based on rumoured fees? Micky seems to be about £5m more based on rumoured fees etc.

I lean towards Eriksen over Mkhitaryan, but that is because I have seen a lot more of Eriksen than Mkhitaryan. I think the only times I have seen Mkhitaryan play was in CL games against the like of Dortmund etc.

Eriksen I think has a very high ceiling, and is already a very good player although he can be a little patchy formwise. Then again Eriksen only turned 21 a few months ago so a little burst of inconsistent form now and then is to be expected.

I think that Eriksen gets dismissed sometimes as not being good enough because people might think he is older than what he actually is and as such think he should be more developed by now.

My own take is that Eriksen will improve an awful lot further, and that he is a player that would shine with a higher calibre of attacking players around him.

Mkhitaryan may well be a better player, and is three or so years older, but for my money Eriksen has been playing in a better league, and has a style of play that I think would be very effective in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We should get both, just to be on the safe side.

Its interesting looking at the whole Suarez/Bale/Real Madrid scenario.

Real have openly said they like him and will not be put off by a high price tag. He has said he is happy at Spurs blah blah.

To my knowledge Real have not said anything as specific as the above about Suarez. He has said he wants to move.

All press and PR and part of the game I know, but interesting none the less, the way they are playing out so far.

Wtf is this crap?

Are you for real here?

This was so out of kilter with my post that when I saw others commenting on it I didn't cop on that it was about me.

I'd imagine that Courtois is pretty much nailed on to be Belgium's keeper for 2014.

If Reina was to stay (which isn't guaranteed either) then he'd be there for the taking by Mignolet. It'd be direct competition for the number 1 jersey as opposed to some 18 year old prospect who's really a no-hoper.

See Spuds last season - granted, Pepe isn't about to retire like Friedel is but I'd imagine that if Pepe doesn't leave, that's going to be the sort of way we play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I read Fowler thinks that Touré will be a fantastic signing for us.

I'm finding it really hard to get any way excited by this cause Kolo is gonna need to put in some pre-season to get into shape, as the last time I seen his he had pounded it on.

But (and its a big but- no pun intended) if he got himself back into 90min match fitness then he could just fill the gap left by Carra.

Its one of those signings that's either gonna just fizz out as a mistake, and we dont see much of him play, or he could find some of his old form for a couple of seasons and we get a serious bit of steel in our backline.
    I cant seen it being up and down. its either gonna be great or pure shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yeah, I wouldn't be excited by Kolo.

but he should, at least partly, fill the Carra void, so it was a somewhat necessary signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

The world has gone mad. I see Gareth Bale is trying to trade mark his goal celebration

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/bale-set-to-trademark-logo-29350570.html

Sturridge should think about doing something likewise. I can see people up and down the country paying for dance classes to perfect the art. Sturridge should rightfully get a cut :pac:

Daniel-Sturridge-dance.gif

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »

Who do you think we are, City?

It would be nice to think that we could chose either or. But it's also true that they could both chose another club, such is their quality.
    That would be baadd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Known our luck we will end up with none :(

They never crossed my mind, strangely, the last one involving an English side I could remember was cole/Gillespie

Dudek/Kirkland style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bale isn't trying to trade mark his celebration. He's trademarking a logo.

Bale isn't trying to trade mark his celebration. He's trademarking a logo.

From the link
    According to the IPO website, he has also applied to use the logo on leather goods, and "animal skins, hides; trunks and travelling bags; umbrellas, parasols and walking sticks; whips, harness and saddlery."

A Gareth bale range of walking sticks, whips and harnesses. As someone said in relation to andy Carroll and his salary, what has happened football?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement