Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you wish were common knowledge.... but aren't!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paul larry

telling me that 'pal' shouldnt be arrested is not gonna change my mind. i'm not going to release him. when have u ever seen a garda turn round and say.....'oh ****, sorry, my bad!!!!!!!!'

oh and i can use reasonable force. especially to defend myself. If u assault or attempt to assault me or a colleauge, i will NOT just stand there and take it. expect to be sore!!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

We can use our phones while driving!

Just cause the lights and sirens aint on dont mean we aint responding to a call!
    As long as its got to do with work. Not personal calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ClioV6 wrote: »
    cos you end up 500feet away from where you parked the car? :p

sorry for going OT.
    Ha ha ha good un.

If Im talking to a guard i dont call em officer,sir,guard or anything. I just talk to them the same way as any other stranger.
    Well how ya keeping. Yeah me tax is there. No bother see ya again.
    I always believe that people earn respect by showing respect. So just cos someone does a certain job doesnt automatically grant them respect. Same with teachers grr lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ha ha ha good un.

If Im talking to a guard i dont call em officer,sir,guard or anything. I just talk to them the same way as any other stranger.
    Well how ya keeping. Yeah me tax is there. No bother see ya again.
    I always believe that people earn respect by showing respect. So just cos someone does a certain job doesnt automatically grant them respect. Same with teachers grr lol.

You see the thing is, you're not showing respect to the person, you're showing respect to the uniform, the organisation and the job.

It's like saluting a senior officer, it's not the person you're saluting, it's the rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 boogyboogy

Just reading a thread about having burgular protection in the home and it got me thinking....is it actually ok for a person to defend their property from scumbags trying to rob them????From what I know is that you can defend youself and not your belongings is that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

jake59 wrote: »
    this should definitely be common knowledge.... all banners have great arses... its just those feckin' trousers that make them look huge:pac::pac:

Many moons ago . . .

Female member bemoans the fact that the trousers make her arse look huge.

"No" pipes up the seasoned campaigner who doesn't even look up from his typewriter behind an aromatic fug of pipe tobacco smoke, "the fat makes your arse look huge."

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

<off topic> Mate of mine and his wife are on holiday with me and some mates. Wifey says "Does my bum look big in this?". Mate replies without breaking stride "Darling, your bum would look big in Texas". Apparently he didnt get any for a week but claimed it was totally worth it :):p

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Back on the subject.... Although mentioned before, in most country areas midweek, from the hours of 12am to 9am there may be one car covering a whole district, up to 400 sq miles, so be patient its not a chopper we have, we'll get there when we can. Suppose I better not mention Sunday mornings as well:rolleyes: when you have half of the unit working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

daithip wrote: »
    Suppose I better not mention Sunday mornings as well:rolleyes: when you have half of the unit working.

No you'd better not;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Also OT: Wife: Does my bum look big in this? Husband: In this what? In this room?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Not ES, but a few points to note:

6) You are not automatically entitled to remission of a prison sentence, it's only given for good behaviour.

Afraid you're mistaken on this one. A prisoner is entitled to a quarter remission on all sentences except those of a month or less ,or if committed in respect of a debt. a Judge can hold you in contempt and keep you locked up until the contempt is purged.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Com1186

999 is not a freephone no for calling garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Com1186 wrote: »
    999 is not a freephone no for calling garda station

Yes this is a big one folks.

999 phone calls are for emergency life/death/serious injury calls only.

May I also add life/death/serious injury that concerns human life not the "my dog is dying" call I had last week!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

TheNog wrote: »
    Yes this is a big one folks.

999 phone calls are for emergency life/death/serious injury calls only.

May I also add life/death/serious injury that concerns human life not the "my dog is dying" call I had last week!!!!
    Thanks, that's another one I've wondered about. While I would have the number of my "home" station in my phone, I'm often out of that area. It came up one time when out paddling, friend returned to his car to find it broken into and everything stolen. Hardly life an death but he didn't have the local number with him. Should you ring 999 in this case, obviously can't leave without calling gardai someway first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Should you ring 999 in this case, obviously can't leave without calling gardai someway first.

No, would be the short answer, because it is not an emergency.

You could ring directory enq's for the number or ring your local station and they will either give you the number or take skeleton details & pass the allegation up to the local station on your behalf (more likely give you the number of the station you need).

Some calls that don't merit the Emergency numbers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Can i ask what differance it makes weather ye recieve the call via 999 or not?

maglite wrote: »

our 999 phone anyway is a single telephone so we can only take one call at a time. We'd rather keep the line clear for emergencies only.

Here's another one:

When you ring a 24hr station the line keeps ringing out, this doesnt mean we dont want to answer your call, it mean we are very busy answering other calls on the same phone. So do persist and call us back.

Also this may come across as bad:

When you ring us we dont want your life story. We just want the facts in as short a story as possible on whats happening. If we want to know more we will ask. By doing this it can mean we can get to you faster and know we are dealing with before arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

TheNog wrote: »
    When you ring us we dont want your life story.

How rude!!!:p

maglite wrote: »

We're not saying don't ring the 999 line, its just don't ring it and tie the line up when its not an emergency, makes common sense!

In Dublin you have Control which takes your 999 calls, but down the country there may be possibly only one phone in each district HQ for this and if someone rings up over their cat in a tree then it may be tieing up the line when there is a real emergency call trying to get through!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Does dailing 112 end up ringing the same line?

• Advertisement

Does dailing 112 end up ringing the same line?

Yes, it's the internationally recognised emergency number

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

daithip wrote: »
    We're not saying don't ring the 999 line, its just don't ring it and tie the line up when its not an emergency, makes common sense!

In Dublin you have Control which takes your 999 calls, but down the country there may be possibly only one phone in each district HQ for this and if someone rings up over their cat in a tree then it may be tieing up the line when there is a real emergency call trying to get through!
    Are you saying each district handles its own 999 calls? I thought they were centralised... I'm not sure how I feel about that, seems quite inefficient to have it distributed...

I'm not sure I should be reading this thread :)

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Are you saying each district handles its own 999 calls? I thought they were centralised... I'm not sure how I feel about that, seems quite inefficient to have it distributed...

I'm not sure I should be reading this thread :)

DeV.

When you dial 999, the operators in various telephone exchanges will put you through to the appropriate Garda Stations, for Dublin its Control in Harcourt Square down the country the District HQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jc07 4lyf

Always something i wanted to figure out,

If i ring 999 where more than one service is required, say i arrive at an accident and gardai and ambulance are needed,

whats the process or who do i request to be put through to first or what happens?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Not ES, but a few points to note:

6) You are not automatically entitled to remission of a prison sentence, it's only given for good behaviour.

Not really. There is a standard 25 per cent remission for prisoners, except those serving an indeterminate sentence, ie life. Remission can be taken off you for disciplinary infractions, but's that's only a few weeks at a time. For example, Liam Keane was supposed to get out of POrtlaoise at a certain day last month, but it was delayed for a week or so because he had a bit of remission taken off him.
    I think remission in Britain is 33 per cent. And in the north it used to be 50 per cent - may still be.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/prison-system/remission_and_temporary_release

jc07 4lyf wrote: »
    Always something i wanted to figure out,

If i ring 999 where more than one service is required, say i arrive at an accident and gardai and ambulance are needed,

whats the process or who do i request to be put through to first or what happens?!

If you need a multiple agency response then you call the most important. Say its a road collision and someone is injured, ask for an ambulance first. Sometimes a hospital or ambo station could be far away so Ambo Control will get an ambo rolling first then they will call us.

You could say it to the Ambo Control yourself that Gardai or Fire Service is needed if people are trapped. Anyways if it is a bad one Gardai, Ambo and Fire will call each other to ensure everyone is notified of the collision or whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dredre

In much of Dublin, the Fire Service also provide the ambulance service so I would call them 1st.

Out of Dublin, many local fire chiefs wont dispatch to an RTC if the ambulance service requests them until the ambulance actually arrives on scene and confirms they are needed. This leads to long delays, so I would call the fire service AND the ambulance service seperately.

Either the fire or ambulance service will notify the Gardai if you ask (And often even if you don't). Depending on the incident, you might have time to ring Gardai yourself as well and avoid the chinese whispers between controls.

One small one that gets me, is when a member of the public rings the station looking for a particular member in relation to a ticket, summons case etc. they've involved with, the member concerned isn't there so they proceed to tell you the whole story about it. We're not fobbing you off by saying you'll have to speak to the member concerned, it really means you have to speak to the member concerned as we don't have access to their notebooks, files etc and can't deal with their cases or give you any information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

If you lost your phone 3 months ago in Donegal dont hand me an insurance form with the immortal words "I was in such and such a shop and they said you have to sign this". No I dont and I wont.

If the social welfare, local nightclub, bank wants proof your documents are real, they can check themselves. I dont verify copies and I dont do their jobs. Try reporting a crime to the social welfare and see what happens.

I cant verify your identity on an ML10 if I have never met you before in my life anymore than the bank can. I cannot verify your child lives with you at your house in another county unless I know you and said child. Again, how do I know and if the social wants to check, they can. Its part of their job.

And the golden rule which I still cant believe needs stating, you report crime ASAP. Not after the insurance company refuses to pay without a reference number. If it wasnt important enough to report at the time am I really expected to believe you will make a statement and go to court after the insurance has replaced your phone / laptop / tv / etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I thought all 999 Garda calls went to one C&C area (with multiple lines)! I have been in the habit of ringing 999 if I'm outside my local area (have their no. in my phone) if I see something nefarious going on - would not always be emergency material though. I would still probably be in the Dublin area though, and have never got any flak for the call. I have asked once or twice if it was OK to use 999 for these incidents and was told it was.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement