Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious Boyfriend

Options
  • 18-09-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

I've been with a fella for just over a month now so it's nothing too serious yet. I really like him and hope this relationship works out, except there's a problem. He's pretty religious.
    We're both 18 and I'm agnostic. He's been to Lourdes and has a few little catholic church merchandise things in his college bedroom. However he doesn't blab on about God or try to convert me.
    My question is: do ye think this can work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

xLisaBx wrote: »
    I've been with a fella for just over a month now so it's nothing too serious yet. I really like him and hope this relationship works out, except there's a problem. He's pretty religious.
    We're both 18 and I'm agnostic. He's been to Lourdes and has a few little catholic church merchandise things in his college bedroom. However he doesn't blab on about God or try to convert me.

I don't see why not. If he's respectful of your beliefs and you of his then it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I don't see why not. If he's respectful of your beliefs and you of his then it should be fine.

I guess yeah. I do respect his beliefs and he does respect mine. I dunno does he judge a little deep inside though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No offence intended but you're judging a little bit yourself. It's human nature. If you respect each other's beliefs it shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I guess yeah. I do respect his beliefs and he does respect mine. I dunno does he judge a little deep inside though

That's just complete speculation. It really shouldn't matter. I've plenty of friends who are deeply (and I mean deeply, as in going on retreats and going to church* for an entire Sunday) religious but they don't judge me and I don't judge them. If he's as religious as you make out it'd be a fairly sizeable contradiction for him to judge you as forgiveness is a pretty big part of religion.

*I say church not mass as they're protestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If you like the guy, then difference of religion ideally shouldn't come into the equation. Just go for it.

Speaking from experience, when I was about your age, I was going out with a devout religious (not christian) girl. Although we generally avoided the topic of religion, when it did come up, both of us were too stubborn to back down and led to some petty arguments. Ultimately, our difference in religious beliefs wasn't the cause of our breakup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Sorry, but you referred to a "problem" and that he doesn't "blab on" (which doesn't sound very respectful to me to be honest). It sounds like you have a little judgment going on there yourself.

Sorry, but you referred to a "problem" and that he doesn't "blab on" (which doesn't sound very respectful to me to be honest). It sounds like you have a little judgment going on there yourself.
    I'm not judging him, like I have no problem accepting his beliefs as I like him as a whole person :) I guess it's not really a problem. I just want people's opinions/experiences to see will this work out for me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I see no reason why you shouldn't give it a lash.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm assuming he's ok with having sex before marriage and condom usage?

Just being realistic here, the no sex before marriage is a deal breaker for alot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

This is going to sound a bit horrible, so I apologise in advance. Personally, I wouldn't be able for a religious partner. The first reason being that deep down I couldn't be with someone who not only believed in god but also subscribed to a religion. The second reason being that a religious person would be unlikely to find my attitudes to religion attractive!

So - if you still like them enough as a person and find my attitudes towards the religiosity of potential partners to be strange, then perhaps it won't be a problem for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

OP my wife is Atheist and I'm Roman Catholic. 17, nearly 18 years later, we've had to deal with bigger issues than just religion!

Honestly, you're not marrying the guy and you're only going out a while. Enjoy the positives in your relationship and they will by far exceed any perceived negatives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just being realistic here, the no sex before marriage is a deal breaker for alot of people.
    that's easily sorted, just get married and get jiggy with it.

Thanks for the advice :) yeah just to confirm he has no problem with sex before marriage or condoms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Thanks for the advice :) yeah just to confirm he has no problem with sex before marriage or condoms!

Obviously there's levels of religious, and types or attitudes within religion. Evidently he takes his Catholicism a la carte like many others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

kylith wrote: »
    I see no reason why you shouldn't give it a lash.
    I believe the RCC is officially anti-BDSM, whatever about its members :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why so? i thought they'd be into all the whips and chains, and 'no pleasure without pain'?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

why so? i thought they'd be into all the whips and chains, and 'no pleasure without pain'?
    Only opus dei

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well then you should be more worried about him being a hypocrite. :p

Its really only going to become a serious issue when it comes to raising children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Why couldn't it work? Unless one person really pushes their views on the other why not?

Say he liked Football and you didn't - would that be an issue? Only if he made you play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

'pleasure for pleasures sake' is verboten. A handy rule of thumb is to remember that unless it can lead to a Baby, its a sin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Osvaldo

Well fair play to you sister! Remember though; he is only 18.

When I was that age I was a bit of a believer too. A few years later, I realised I was in fact an actual ape that was born onto a gloriously beautiful planet that somehow sits in in space and sh*t! As his mind develops perhaps he will change like I.

Long live the intelligent Apes (And our not as intelligent; but equally beautiful and special cousins orangutans; bonobos, chimpanzees and Gorillas) of planet earth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »
    I believe the RCC is officially anti-BDSM, whatever about its members :o

He could always scourge himself to atone for the pre-marital sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

He's only 18 and I'm guessing that you're a similar age.

The question of how you would raise children together is (I hope!) absolutely not on the agenda at present. Unless you have already decided - and I would strongly advise against this - that you want to settle down now with your chosen partner in life and start picking out the decor for the nursery, what you're looking for in a romantic partner is definitely not a shared attitude to childrearing. You should be looking for relationships that are fun to be in, with people you admire and respect (and fancy, of course), and you should be open to having your attitudes and assumptions challenged, broadened and maybe changed a bit by someone who sees things a little bit differently from you. One of you being a religious believer and the other not is absolutely not a problem; if anything you will both learn from having a partner who thinks differently. Either of you being bigotted or intolerant, however, would be a problem.

But - how can I put this delicately? - there's no law that says it's only the religious believer who can be bigotted or intolerant. You express the fear that he may be "judging you a little bit deep inside" but nothing you say in your posts suggests that he has done or said anything that points to this. So where is this fear coming from? It's coming from you - your own insecurity, your own preconceptions, and quite possible your own experience of other religious people who were judgmental.

You owe it to this boy - you owe it to all your romantic partners, now and in the future - not to prejudge who they are. Whether this relationship will work well or not depends on his qualities and yours, not on stereotypes that you impose on one another . You should no more assume that his is judgmental than he should assume that you are amoral. The point about intimacy is that you really should come to know one another well. Imposing stereotypes on one another gets in the way; that would be a real barrier to a successful relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Can it? Yes. Many people do which shows 100% it works.

WILL it work in your case? We can not answer that for you as we do not know much at all you you, him, or your context.

Only you and you alone can sit down and list the things you want from a relationship. He can sit down and do the same.

You can then sit down and explore which things on each list preclude things on the other.

Having formed this new list of things from the original two.... you simply decide if they are unimportant and can be disregarded..... are important but some compromise can be found, explored and attempted...... or they are simply show stoppers.

Then you have your answer.

This particular vile piece of work on American TV however clearly has a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

I think at your age it's probably not going to be too much of an issue - as someone else mentioned, it can become more of an issue if you're considering kids.

For what it's worth, for me, it'd be an absolute deal-breaker. If it's just a bit of fun then it doesn't really matter, you have your fun and both go your separate ways afterwards. But if I was looking at a serious relationship it'd be a different story.

It might not be a bad idea to spend some time thinking about what's important to you. Figure out why you think the situation should bother you ('cos it kind of seems like you're not sure whether it should bother you or not rather than that you are actually bothered about it). Above all, don't forget, when it comes down to it, to ignore what a bunch of strangers on the internet say and make your own mind up. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Future kids are only an issue if you have a wish for them to not be indoctrinated growing up. If you're relaxed about this then kids are a non-issue (except for them :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I wouldn't worry about garden variety Irish catholicism, but some of that Lourdes/Medjugore/Fatima stuff is a bit mad, and believing that nonsense would be a bit of a worrier for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I wouldn't worry about garden variety Irish catholicism, but some of that Lourdes/Medjugore/Fatima stuff is a bit mad, and believing that nonsense would be a bit of a worrier for me.

Funny you say that,
    I know a person who is very religious, goes to mass 6 days a week etc

However, even she thinks the crowd that go to Medjugore are a bunch of loons :pac:

Dancing sun my arse...
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Will be married 17 years this year. My wife is a practicing Catholic who is very involved in the local parish and its activities. I'm a confirmed and outspoken godless heathen. We have an 11 year old daughter who is being raised a Catholic. Is this a problem? Nope. Why should it be?

The way I look at it is this: if she grows up able to think for herself she will be alright. If not, it really doesn't matter whether she's a Catholic who can't think for herself or an Atheist who can't think for herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

rozeboosje wrote: »
    Will be married 17 years this year. My wife is a practicing Catholic who is very involved in the local parish and its activities. I'm a confirmed and outspoken godless heathen. We have an 11 year old daughter who is being raised a Catholic. Is this a problem? Nope. Why should it be?
    It becomes a problem if the people in the relationship disagree on things.

If you don't mind me asking, how would your wife have been if you said that you didn't want your child raised as a Catholic?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement