Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote of no confidence.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

ill wait til the tribunal report before offering an opinion

Is that you Minister Gormley? Or is it Trevor?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

DesF wrote:
    Or else do what everyone else does.

Bleat on and on about how bad Bertie is, but at the end of the day, do sweet fa about it.

Or people can emigrate... which will become more and more predominant as bertie & co incompetently bumble their towards newer and more impressive cock ups..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The voters in this country had their chance to get rid of him but no, the voted the crook back in again. Idiots.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The voters in this country had their chance to get rid of him but no, the voted the crook back in again. Idiots.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

The fact the biggest selling sunday paper in Ireland is the tabloid crap Sunday World shows the level of intelligence in this country, no wonder they voted a crook back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So because people didn't vote the way you wanted, they're idiots? Or are you just bitter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mossy Monk wrote:
    It's called democracy.

It means people have a choice, every five years ao, to decide who governs them.

You don't like the choice made, it doesn't make the people who made the choice idiots however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

DesF wrote:
    It's called democracy.

It means people have a choice, every five years ao, to decide who governs them.

You don't like the choice made, it doesn't make the people who made the choice idiots however.
    Merely suckers who bought his snake oil. :p

DesF wrote:

I disagree..

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve - George Bernard Shaw.

One could argue that if there is a majority of idiots in a country then an incompetent and corrupt government is inevitable under a democratic system..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If the majority are idiots, then what stopped the opposition from conning them into voting for their side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

That Sly Bast**d Enda Kenny makes me sick. He eased off Bertie before the General election for fear of a backlash by voters.
    +1
    your spot on about Kenny - but i think every person on the street can see that about him. FG may change if they want to deliver what they are promising......
    personally i hope they hold onto Kenny :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Also known as the Gonzales defense - "I don't recall".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ9wQjU5UWk

I'd love to see somebody use the Chewbaca Defence at the tribunal.
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=eH5EblIjkrk

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

The problem with voters in this country is that so many of them treat political parties like Premiership football teams.. Who do you support?... FF - Hence FF get a large chunk of the vote to begin with and the result is not accurate/balanced. It really pi$$es me off!

Another problem is when an alternative does take over and FF take their fingers out of the dam and run, that alternative will get the blame for the fallout and all of the FF supporters will be crying out to have their crooks back. The country has just had it's most prosperous period ever and services/infrastructure are in a shambles. That is not the successful leadership FF supporters would claim. It's a massive opportunity wasted!

[/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Democracy is a wonderful thing. Shut up moaning. Let the tribunals end and stop lining the lawyers pockets and let this government get on with doing what they were elected for . End of!

Johnnyrotten wants us to keep quiet like little lambs and let FF do as they see fit.

It's no mystery as to who johnnyrotten and admiralofthefleet are supporters of.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The result was a foregone conclusion , but what was amusing was the new FF junior minister, who is not the leader of the Greens , being one of the first out in defence.

Mostly people have no more than a passing interest in politics. In the last election the incumbents were less unattractive than what was lined up against them. It is also understandable why the comments on Bertie's finances were dropped, the election would have been nothing but, and there's nothing like a negative campaign to generate sympathy and possible votes.

With a new Dail in session the gloves are off. Expect more of the same in the times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

An ex-finance minister that can't seem to recall depositing several tens of thousands in cash into a bank, at a time when the country was supposedly on it's knees with respect to it's economy?
    <SNIPPED BY THE DEFAMATION PANDA> That alone means he should go.

Haughey called this man devious....that's a <snipped> reference for his credibility with regards to his apparent corruption.

Having Mahon shut down in the run up to the election, especially with what has transpired at the tribunal since, was nothing short of cynical and underhanded.

He should be ousted and anyone else that's hanging on his coattails...

That Sly Bast**d Enda Kenny makes me sick. He eased off Bertie before the General election for fear of a backlash by voters.

Can you blame him? Going on the attack previously led to an increase in popularity for Ahern and his posse. What would you have done if you were looking to get into government, and a previous tactic failed? Would you repeat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

People voted for Bertie 'warts and all' in the last election. I think the population are by-and-large quite intelligent in this regard. They weigh up the good and bad points and then make their decision.

*Maybe* Enda is a purer leader than Bertie, but people decided that he was also less of a leader than Bertie.

Sometimes it amazes me on this board that posters cannot allow for the fact that people have made a complicated decision, and thought through all the facts, rather than made a stupid decision.

Wertz wrote:
    Having Mahon shut down in the run up to the election, especially with what has transpired at the tribunal since, was nothing short of cynical and underhanded.

legally the tribunals have to shut down before elections, i think, and this was agreed by all parties before tribunals were set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Anyway, most people dont believe Bertie. It's such a cock and bull story. How are we supposed to believe that the then minister for finance had no back account? What did he do with his wages? Was he paid in cash? Did he go to the pub and cash it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

We were lame ducks for not putting him out last time - Reason? We can't get over ourselves that you can now divorce or whatnot quite freely. I think people weren't going to hammer him and the only real reason was his divorce. We should grow up - married, single, divorced, separated, he still was under obligation to wealthy people like michael wall.

• Advertisement

Bren1609 wrote:
    How are we supposed to believe that the then minister for finance had no back account? What did he do with his wages? Was he paid in cash? Did he go to the pub and cash it?

he had a bank account, but it was a joint account with his wife, so he couldn't use it freely...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

These polititions don't care about the country at all. All they're interested in is bickering between themselfs, I'd love to puck the heads of the lot of them especially that little weasel Enda.

Forget the money it's gone. Bertie spent it years ago and no ones ever going to find out what happened to it. Everyone knew what kind of leader they where voting for now let him get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A country gets the government it deserves. We had the chance to throw Bull**** Bertie and his gang <snip> out in the summer, but let him slither him way back into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Screw that.
    I didn't vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There's a poll option missing:

"I don't like him/FF either, but I don't believe the alternative(s) are any better"

The reason we have FF in power again is because the opposition parties didn't do enough to convince the public that they would be any better if in office. I think the leadership debate sealed it myself - Enda didn't come across as someone who could lead a pissup in a brewery, never mind the country.

The biggest problem in this country today is what I like to call the "ah sure it'll be grand!" attitude. It pervades EVERYTHING, and the Irish as a nation are conditioned to just accept whatever goes on, thus maintaining the status quo.

Add to this then the very Irish thing where everyone wants to get away with something - be it penalty points on the road, to tax/welfare fraud - and the attitude when someone DOES get caught - "ah sure you were just unlucky mate.. the feckers have nothing else to be doing!". How about "well that's what you deserve in fairness" instead? (No of course not, this IS Ireland after all!) :rolleyes:

Finally toss in the fact that we Irish are great at bitching about it to each other in the pub/on the internet/to the letters page in the paper, but USELESS when it comes to actually DOING something about it.
    Why aren't people out protesting about the farce that is this latest Tribunal? Or the shambles that is the M50 in the morning? Or all those business and political personalities that have been defrauding the State (ultimately you and me!) out of millions in taxes for decades in some cases! - just to use a few recent examples.

The only people we have to blame for this state of affairs is ourselves.

Terry wrote:
    Screw that.
    I didn't vote for them.

Ya, i know we are in a democracy but if you didn't vote for Bertie or Fianna Failure then you have every right to bitch and moan....

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    There's a poll option missing:

"I don't like him/FF either, but I don't believe the alternative(s) are any better"

The reason we have FF in power again is because the opposition parties didn't do enough to convince the public that they would be any better if in office. I think the leadership debate sealed it myself - Enda didn't come across as someone who could lead a pissup in a brewery, never mind the country.

The biggest problem in this country today is what I like to call the "ah sure it'll be grand!" attitude. It pervades EVERYTHING, and the Irish as a nation are conditioned to just accept whatever goes on, thus maintaining the status quo.

Add to this then the very Irish thing where everyone wants to get away with something - be it penalty points on the road, to tax/welfare fraud - and the attitude when someone DOES get caught - "ah sure you were just unlucky mate.. the feckers have nothing else to be doing!". How about "well that's what you deserve in fairness" instead? (No of course not, this IS Ireland after all!) :rolleyes:

Finally toss in the fact that we Irish are great at bitching about it to each other in the pub/on the internet/to the letters page in the paper, but USELESS when it comes to actually DOING something about it.
    Why aren't people out protesting about the farce that is this latest Tribunal? Or the shambles that is the M50 in the morning? Or all those business and political personalities that have been defrauding the State (ultimately you and me!) out of millions in taxes for decades in some cases! - just to use a few recent examples.

The only people we have to blame for this state of affairs is ourselves.

Your dead right, its above all an attitude problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Orange69 wrote:
    Ya, i know we are in a democracy but if you didn't vote for Bertie or Fianna Failure then you have every right to bitch and moan....
    Yay!
    I intentionally didn't vote for a single FF for the simple fact that what I've seen of their behaviour left me thinking they were nothing more than Berties little sycophantic lackies.
    *starts preparing a big anti FF and anti Bertie rant and moan*;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Seems the mods are FF supporters too eh?

Keep editing out the bad bits just like the rest of the party anyway...

Yes I know why I was edited....although I can't see why "concrete" was removed....some possible links with CRH? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Wertz wrote:
    Seems the mods are FF supporters too eh?

Keep editing out the bad bits just like the rest of the party anyway...

Yes I know why I was edited....although I can't see why "concrete" was removed....some possible links with CRH? :D
    Far from it, but I'm keeping out of this to be objective.
    I removed anything that may be defamatory (Stating as fact ...the name-calling...)
    Please, people, back up your claims or (One way or another) it'll be one of the last things you post.

An accessible guide to defamation / libel laws in Ireland:
    http://www.digitalrights.ie/2006/01/06/libel-laws-in-ireland/

(We're not going to get into a legal discussion here- there are appropriate fora for that.)

Please, as you were...

Advertisement